Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Link? I can't see anything that good, could be they've already run the stock down.
10 in stock when this was posted to Reddit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Subjunctive posted:

Are those both supposed to be -KR?

yes

(never seen that one before today though, and you'd think it'd just be a brown-box...)

edit: now here's a fun one... anyone want to buy a 3-pack of 4 GB P104-100s for $1000?

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Aug 28, 2018

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Ah, I was very confused, thought he had somehow got one for $365 CAD, but that was the quoted post and my brain mushed them together. All gone in less than 30 minutes. :smith:

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Wistful of Dollars posted:

The sad world where I don't want to give Nvidia money, but AMD is still in the T-ball league. :smith:

My little RX480 still does a good job with everything 1080p I throw at it besides PS2 emulation. It's loud and hot but after OC'ing it I got pretty good performance out of it.

It's just a shame buttcoin miners completely destroyed the affordability of AMD products.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Ah, I was very confused, thought he had somehow got one for $365 CAD, but that was the quoted post and my brain mushed them together. All gone in less than 30 minutes. :smith:
There has been a pretty nutty amount of deals on the subreddit in the past few days though. Wish the same could be said for Europe.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Here is the link to the one I bought: https://www.ebay.com/itm/EVGA-GeForce-GTX-1080-GAMING-8GB-GDDR5X-ACX-3-0-08G-P4-5184-KR/263865580129?hash=item3d6f9d3a61:g:B5sAAOSwsUJbZJNJ

$430 USD before the 15% off, $365 after.

EDIT: And yeah, it's brand new with the -KR direct from EVGA so you can do step-up to a 2080 of some type if you want to. I probably won't but that depends on what the benchmarks end up looking like.

AVeryLargeRadish fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Aug 28, 2018

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Anyone have an idea what the cheapest CPU that wouldn't significantly bottleneck a 1080 would be? Once the 2080 is out I want to shuffle this 1080 into my media center pc for some living room VR. It's got an Intel G3258 right now which I doubt will get the job done.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Enos Cabell posted:

Anyone have an idea what the cheapest CPU that wouldn't significantly bottleneck a 1080 would be? Once the 2080 is out I want to shuffle this 1080 into my media center pc for some living room VR. It's got an Intel G3258 right now which I doubt will get the job done.

If you are looking to just upgrade the CPU you are pretty much stuck at Broadwell or Haswell with that CPU (I Have the same on in my HTPC)

If you haven't already, overclock that beast to get a little more life out of it. (4.4Ghz is easy as pie, more with a little more tinkering) but then you might want to look at a 4570K at minimum to get a quad and something you can also overclock in there. Then it's all about cooling since none of those quads ran particularly cool.

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

Enos Cabell posted:

This is a complicated question unfortunately, but the fact you have that particular processor might make the question easier: There will be no cheap option outside of overclocking the piss out of that anniversary Pentium (for this chip this is almost linear improvement). Anything significantly better than that will require a new motherboard, DDR4, and CPU. The 1080 is easily bottlenecked unfortunately by older CPUs especially for VR, high refresh scenarios. Buying a replacement Haswell will actually perform worse compared to an overclocked G3258 unless you clock it near the same levels.

The fact that its dual core might be the bigger problem too. If you have to buy a new CPU on a budget I'd recommend the newest bare bones i3-8xxx you can get.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Yeah, your only options with that mobo would be 4670K/4690K, 4770K/4790K. Or possibly 5675C or 5775C if you have a Z97.

A 4770K would be about $180-200.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Aug 28, 2018

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Paul MaudDib posted:

Yeah, your only options with that mobo would be 4670K/4690K, 4770K/4790K. Or possibly 5675C or 5775C if you have a Z97.

youtube tells me that these processors with a 1080 will yield good results, though idk for VR

E: i have done a fair amount of research on the subject since my old computer has a GTX 1060 and that same processor and it just sits around doing nothing as a third device collecting dust. keep meaning to toss a i5 or i7 in there and let er rip

Worf fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 28, 2018

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

the problem is really just that upgrading that processor to literally anything newer means buying more another $100+ in RAM, realistically closer to $140

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
that pentium is a dual core right? you'll probably be fine, just close browsers and other terrible apps when you play. having i7 owns not because games run smoother, it owns because games run smoothly without having to close a bunch of poo poo first

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

It's looking like my best bet at this point might just be to sell the cpu/mb/ram and bite the bullet for an i5-8400 setup. Fortunately my wife has fallen in love with Beat Saber, so she's actually the one pushing for this. Thanks all for the input.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Speaking of, my PC has a rather dated Intel Core i7 2600K @ 3.40GHz for a CPU; according to some quick google trawls, it looks like that's still reasonably capable? Sufficient for running alongside a 1080 or 2080?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
You can probably overclock that to ~4ghz (more if you're a bit lucky) if you repaste it and it'll be pretty drat OK.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

i7 4790k can be had from reputable ebay seller for $204 with the 15% off coupon today :shrug:

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

Statutory Ape posted:

i7 4790k can be had from reputable ebay seller for $204 with the 15% off coupon today :shrug:

Yeah but therein lies the problem. They are the same architecture, the G3258 can OC better and most games will be indistinguishable. It will still bottleneck on Haswell at high framerates (VR) and you're out $204. On the other hand a very basic modern i3 will run circles around it in gaming (with a 1080, this is very different from a slower card), but at a higher overall system cost. There are a lot of factors here. Some online games will perform dramatically differently sometimes in terms of CPU vs GPU bottlenecks as well.

The best thing to do is to overclock it hard until you can buy a new computer with the money not spent on a questionable upgraded Haswell - unless he or she needs more than 2 cores. Some games wont run on 2 anymore. Budget will be big here... its a complicated one. Once you get up to a 1080 and high framerates the architecture can matter a whole lot, but the wiggly part here is it enough to matter to the person depending on what they are doing

B-Mac
Apr 21, 2003
I'll never catch "the gay"!

1gnoirents posted:

Yeah but therein lies the problem. They are the same architecture, the G3258 can OC better and most games will be indistinguishable. It will still bottleneck on Haswell at high framerates (VR) and you're out $204. On the other hand a very basic modern i3 will run circles around it in gaming (with a 1080, this is very different from a slower card), but at a higher overall system cost. There are a lot of factors here. Some online games will perform dramatically differently sometimes in terms of CPU vs GPU bottlenecks as well.

The best thing to do is to overclock it hard until you can buy a new computer with the money not spent on a questionable upgraded Haswell - unless he or she needs more than 2 cores. Some games wont run on 2 anymore. Budget will be big here... its a complicated one. Once you get up to a 1080 and high framerates the architecture can matter a whole lot, but the wiggly part here is it enough to matter to the person depending on what they are doing

Can you link some benchmarks showing a 4790k as the limiting factor in a VR setup? I tried a quick google search but couldn’t find anything specifically for VR. The OP said the box was mostly a living room VR machine and the 4790k can turbo to 4.2 to 4.4 ghz depending on core load at stock and if they can overclock the pentium they should be able to overclock the 4790k as well, plus the additional two cores and HT. Seems like a decent option to extend the life of the machine.

B-Mac fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Aug 29, 2018

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

B-Mac posted:

Can you link some benchmarks showing a 4790k as the limiting factor in a VR setup? I tried a quick google search but couldn’t find anything specifically for VR. The OP said the box was mostly a living room VR machine and the 4790k can turbo to 4.2 to 4.4 ghz depending on core load at stock and if they can overclock the pentium they should be able to overclock the 4790k as well, plus the additional two cores and HT. Seems like a decent option to extend the life of the machine.

No I mean it will be just as good in many cases and not worth the money (opposed to putting that towards a new system). Whether or not it will be a bottleneck depends on whats going on, sometimes it will not be at all, but just to answer the "what is the cheapest cpu I can buy to remove the bottleneck" question then Im not sure I'd actually buy an old CPU that fits in that socket - unless I absolutely needed more than 2 cores (which can be true with some games). I will try to find benchmarks that show how much older architectures bottleneck a 1080 though I know those exist, I'm just inferring that VR will suffer because they depend on high framerates which is where the bottlenecks occur

There is probably no direct smoking gun benchmark due to the age of CPU involved here but here is what I mean about 1080's vs 1060's on a different set of CPUs but it kinda shows what I mean there. I know a lot of those you likely know but in case this benefits anybody

And here is an extreme example where the CPU basically doesnt matter at all, though a 1060

Below is the first G3258 specific example of what an OC does to the pentium. What kind of sucks about this is the OC isn't great and it doesn't show the 4690k with an OC, which should hardly be different at all, and implies that a 4690k may experience the same massive boost that the pentium does (it does not)

And I just ran of time woops. My only real point, and I admit I can be blowing things out of proportion here, is that I dont think its worth buying a nice Haswell i5 or i7 simply to use an older chipset when bottlenecking a powerful GPU is concerned on a secondary PC when budget is key - when you have a great purpose built overclocking CPU in place already. I just dont think its money well spent especially considering the really great resale value of older CPUs. I am more opinionated on this than I usually am as well because I spent a great deal of time OC'ing that chip next to the 4670k, and 4790k, and 6600k, and 8600k. I still use the pentium. I really am out of time sorry for this incomplete post lol

1gnoirents fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Aug 29, 2018

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

I bought my 1070Ti months ago, so I think I'm just gonna sit this one out for a while.

Besides, my 3570k's starting to feel its age and I'm really interested in seeing how life with a Ryzen 2700x would be like.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
In with all of the CPU bottlenecking chat... I have a 2500K but kind of want to wait to build another PC next year. Any reason I couldn’t plug a 1080Ti into that for now and take it into my new computer? It’s a P8P67-M PRO (REV 3.0) and looks like it has PCI Express 2.0. I game at 3440x1400 and my :airquote: mobile 1060 :airquote: in another computer sucks with that

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
You better have your frickin 2500k overclocked, but yes, it's fine to pair with that card. It will bottleneck like crazy at stock speeds, but that's still above 60fps.

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Hed posted:

In with all of the CPU bottlenecking chat... I have a 2500K but kind of want to wait to build another PC next year. Any reason I couldn’t plug a 1080Ti into that for now and take it into my new computer? It’s a P8P67-M PRO (REV 3.0) and looks like it has PCI Express 2.0. I game at 3440x1400 and my :airquote: mobile 1060 :airquote: in another computer sucks with that

There is no reason why you couldn't put a 1080ti into your system, and then carry it forward to your next system. It'll also massively outperform a 1060 at that resolution.

Better to overclock your 2500k if you can.

Edit: Why did you airquote mobile 1060? Were you hooking up a laptop to the monitor? The laptop 1060s are about 10% worse than desktop 1060s.

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Aug 29, 2018

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Hed posted:

1080 Ti will be totally fine. If your PSU is also from that era, it might need an adapter for the 8 pin PCIe power connectors, but some Ti's even have those in the box. And no problem pullin it out and stickin it in whatever you buy next.

3440x1440 is a pretty beefy resolution (25% more pixels than 1440p), so your CPU bottleneck wont even be that bad in most games.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

1gnoirents posted:

And I just ran of time woops. My only real point, and I admit I can be blowing things out of proportion here, is that I dont think its worth buying a nice Haswell i5 or i7 simply to use an older chipset when bottlenecking a powerful GPU is concerned on a secondary PC when budget is key - when you have a great purpose built overclocking CPU in place already. I just dont think its money well spent especially considering the really great resale value of older CPUs. I am more opinionated on this than I usually am as well because I spent a great deal of time OC'ing that chip next to the 4670k, and 4790k, and 6600k, and 8600k. I still use the pentium. I really am out of time sorry for this incomplete post lol

Hey, I appreciate the time you spent on this. Hopefully I can find some time this weekend to tear things apart and see how well this existing stuff works before I spend any more money. I think I've got a Hyper 212 Evo stashed away somewhere, so can try pushing the G3258 too

Spaseman
Aug 26, 2007

I'm a Securitron
RobCo security model 2060-B.
If you ever see any of my brothers tell them Victor says howdy.
Fallen Rib
The EVGA ebay store has a 1070 Ti for $356.99 after promo code and I can't decide whether to buy it or wait for another 1080 sale. From what I see, the power jump between a 1070Ti and a 1080 is small enough that that the Ti at this price is worth it. Am I right?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
1070ti and 1080 are pretty much the same yep.

Also I guess those rumored VR ports aren’t on the RTX models we’ve seen so far, eh? Or is that what the USB-C port on the Founders’ Edition cards is for?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Spaseman posted:

The EVGA ebay store has a 1070 Ti for $356.99 after promo code and I can't decide whether to buy it or wait for another 1080 sale. From what I see, the power jump between a 1070Ti and a 1080 is small enough that that the Ti at this price is worth it. Am I right?

While I'm glad that I got a 1080 for $365 you're right, the 1070 Ti and 1080 are so close to each other that that price is great too, there is something like 5-10% difference between the two cards depending on the game.

EDIT: Actually I overestimated the difference, it's more like 2-5%: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieFToM2Pn-w

AVeryLargeRadish fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Aug 29, 2018

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I have a OC 2500k and haven't noticed any bottlenecks so far FYI. Though to be fair I don't play too many high end games.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Arivia posted:

Or is that what the USB-C port on the Founders’ Edition cards is for?

yeah, its the USB C.

Winks
Feb 16, 2009

Alright, who let Rube Goldberg in here?
I play competitive games on low settings and I can't wait to ditch my 2500k for a 9700k or 9900k. I need my frames to never drop below 144.

Elem7
Apr 12, 2003
der
Dinosaur Gum
It's this. https://www.anandtech.com/show/13088/virtuallink-announced-standardized-connector-for-vr-headsets

There're no headsets even announced that support it far as I know but chicken and egg you know, someone has to start.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
I won't upgrade until I can get a 9900k or something equivalent for $350.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Apparently AIBs aren't allowed to send you drivers with their review cards anymore, and to get the pre-release drivers from NVIDIA, you have to sign their lovely NDA. Well played I guess.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

punk rebel ecks posted:

Yeah same 4790k running 4/8 cores at 4.6 at stock voltage all day no problem.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

punk rebel ecks posted:

I expect the 9900K to have an MSRP of $479 and it'll probably have a bloat price of easily $529-549. Compatibility with the Z370 will make it a guilty pleasure Christmas present for a fair number of people, so I expect the bloat to last through the holiday shopping season.

Keep in mind that moving from six to eight cores halves your yield per wafer, and the soldered TIM slows production. All of that will be passed on to the consumer with regards to price, and Intel's justification will be that the 8700K is well-discounted and the 9700K will give customers eight cores without hyperthreading.

I do expect them to launch the 9700K at a touch over the 8700K's original MSRP. It won't have the same furor on it, and very well might be a good "value" alternative.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

quote:

A report by Taiwanese analysts at Digitimes claims that graphics card makers are being pressured into doing more than their share for Nvidia.

For the most part the report is a 'matter of fact' statement on Nvidia's recent financial disclosure, nothing new there. However, it hits home when it says Nvidia is forcing "more than 10 graphic card makers" to "swallow contracted shipments released by Nvidia to deplete its inventories, in order to secure that they can be among the first batch of customers to get sufficient supply quotas of new-generation GPUs."

https://www.techspot.com/news/76103-nvidia-putting-squeeze-aib-partners.html

"buy our old poo poo or you don't get our new poo poo lol"

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Key word being "contracted shipments", so it's more of a "if you don't pay for the poo poo you ordered, don't expect to be first in line for Turing".

But good to know that NVIDIA is even less popular than the AIBs who were dicking everyone here in the rear end literally three months ago, I truly shed a tear that partners are actually going to have to pay for all those GPUs they were planning to ship directly to mining farms.

Just imagine how awful it's going to be, having prolonged and deep clearance sales on Pascal products. This is a real disaster for the gaming public right here, it's so good that we have these white knights to bring it to our attention, who are definitely not just playing off anti-NVIDIA sentiment for clicks.

This goes double for those who think Turing is going to be poo poo, why the gently caress would you then complain about a surplus of Pascal cards that need to be cleared out

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Aug 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Tons of 10xx poo poo in the warehouses so I’m happy to wait for 20xx stats and sales.