Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Crazyweasel posted:

That's a good description of how I felt in his first appearance. Like after a while the joke was just "hey Hamm and Aukerman are like 50 and don't get all this stuff from a cartoon I watched as a kid"

This is how Chief sort of started as well, but Carl Tart found a way to make it funny independent of any actual Carmen Sandiego knowledge. The first time anyone actually figured anything out was I think her 3rd appearance when Gabrus happened to be on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I definitely liked this appearance a bit more than the first one, which didn't have anywhere to go once it was clear that Scott and Hamm couldn't run with the joke because all the references were lost on them. This time around he was able to really drill into some more specific aspects of what makes the Pokemon world so insane.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

It offends me that they didn't accent the 'e' in the episode title.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Teenage Fansub posted:

It offends me that they didn't accent the 'e' in the episode title.

Yeah, I thought it was going to be about a bowl of raw fish.

Even though Dash Grabum hasn't really built out a character beyond "Literally explaining Pokémon" I like Reino's enthusiasm in doing it and Aukerman's fascination with hearing more about the Kanto Region. (I also like the fact that Reino knows the original 151 inside and out, seems to have a working knowledge of Gen 2 and is much fuzzier on/confused by later entries.)

Though the funniest part of his first appearance was PFT's "Dash, may I ask you a question: Is this Pogs?"

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

JethroMcB posted:

Yeah, I thought it was going to be about a bowl of raw fish.

Even though Dash Grabum hasn't really built out a character beyond "Literally explaining Pokémon" I like Reino's enthusiasm in doing it and Aukerman's fascination with hearing more about the Kanto Region. (I also like the fact that Reino knows the original 151 inside and out, seems to have a working knowledge of Gen 2 and is much fuzzier on/confused by later entries.)

This is what makes me laugh. He's incredibly upbeat and enthusiastic while diving right into how it's animal abuse and also slavery. I also love when people try to get him to elaborate on the location of the Kanto Region or to apply firm logic to the absurd mechanics of pokemon catching.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I also loved Scott's introduction of him this episode. "Speaking of stewing in your own filth, our next guest probably doesn't do that."

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The perfect sponsor. At last.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

No loving way am I going to listen to an hour of matt besser yelling into the mic from 10 feet away. Who thought this was a good idea?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Devonaut posted:

No loving way am I going to listen to an hour of matt besser yelling into the mic from 10 feet away. Who thought this was a good idea?

Matt Besser; I dare you to tell him otherwise.

(I enjoyed it more than I expected.)

the Insane Piano
Feb 10, 2011
shut up! it was good! everybody liked it!

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i did actually love it, one if the best besser characters. up there with bjork and the little girl who got a surgery so she would sound exactly like her favorite comedian matt besser.

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I've never been a big Besser fan but I thought he was really funny in this one.

Kyron
Aug 6, 2013

In my mind Besser is the perfect example of someone who has the best overall grasp of what makes something funny but doesn't always execute his comedy in a way that translates well. I really liked him this episode, he knocked his shtick out of the park

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
It was good and funny and I feel sorry for you if you bailed

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Yeah this was Besser's funniest appearance on the show I can remember. I always love when someone effectively pushes back against Scott while staying in character, so this bit cracked me up:

"I hope you live in an abandoned dirt lot or something, because..."
"That's what you hope for me?"

This is why I also love all John Gemberling appearances and any PFT character that points out how insane Scott's hosting style is when taken at face value

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

xbilkis posted:

This is why I also love all John Gemberling appearances and any PFT character that points out how insane Scott's hosting style is when taken at face value

The 2016 tour is great for that because every PFT character is immediately against anything Scott says.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

GoutPatrol posted:

The 2016 tour is great for that because every PFT character is immediately against anything Scott says.

Wasn't that also the tour where they were moving pretty much constantly and getting little rest, so PFT's characters went from generally disagreeable to actively hostile?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

SpacePig posted:

Wasn't that also the tour where they were moving pretty much constantly and getting little rest, so PFT's characters went from generally disagreeable to actively hostile?

Yeah, something like a 60 shows within as many days, plus a UK jaunt, plus an Australian jaunt. And they also kept getting sick and having issues with guests dropping.

It was a blast to listen to.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

SpacePig posted:

They talk about it on the best of shows. New characters would remember very pretty slights on previous shows.

When PFT wants to be petty, he can be very petty. A good example is when he makes fun of Scott for thinking there should be a new Prince because he's dead.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

gently caress Your Website posted:

It was good and funny and I feel sorry for you if you bailed

Ah ok, it was really annoying to me but I'm glad people liked it. I liked his Bjork, Kanye East...not a total hater here.

How many times did he drop Del Close's name?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Besser can be hilarious and makes the occasional brilliant move in improv. But he often leans too hard on the mechanics of the form, has a hard time not being in charge of a scene, and often sticks to his premise so hard that he invalidates what others bring to the table and questions their reality.

He's on the opposite side of give-and-take to someone like Gourley or Will Hines who will torpedo their premise immediately if something more interesting comes along.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003

Devonaut posted:

Ah ok, it was really annoying to me but I'm glad people liked it. I liked his Bjork, Kanye East...not a total hater here.

How many times did he drop Del Close's name?

Zero? Do you have some issue you're dancing around here or are you just bitching about Besser in general?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

PFT holding Scott's feet to the fire about his dumber comedic tics is my absolute favorite thing.

And yes, best Besser character since Bjork.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

GoutPatrol posted:

All the hostility was great, but I particularly enjoyed whenever a clearly-exhausted Scott would try to wrap up a demented character segment by going “Well, that’s wonderful...” and PFT would respond with a perfect exasperated “Is it???

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Besser can be hilarious and makes the occasional brilliant move in improv. But he often leans too hard on the mechanics of the form, has a hard time not being in charge of a scene, and often sticks to his premise so hard that he invalidates what others bring to the table and questions their reality.

He's on the opposite side of give-and-take to someone like Gourley or Will Hines who will torpedo their premise immediately if something more interesting comes along.

hes a comedy sperg

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Me or him? I mean, either way, yeah

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Speaking of Besser the first episode of My Dead Wife The Robot Car came out. The upcoming cast list is a bunch of favorites, but it stars Besser and Mary Holland who's clearly having a lot of fun with it. First episode is under 20 minutes and worth checking out.

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Scott actually has a band i've heard of and really like on the show.

Does that mean I have to hate Chvrches now?

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
If you haven’t heard of and like a bunch of Yo La Tengo albums you missin out

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

St Vincent was the best CBB musical guest

cams
Mar 28, 2003

Help Im Alive posted:

the harris' foam corner with st vincent and zach the gal is an all time classic.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Harris: "I call it, Tapas The Morning To Jah".

*pause*

St. Vincent: *pained voice* "Ooohhh."

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."

Laterite posted:

Harris: "I call it, Tapas The Morning To Jah".

*pause*

St. Vincent: *pained voice* "Ooohhh."

This is an all time great moment and probably the single purest distillation of Harris' sense of humor, the joke itself and St. Vincent's response.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

So, is this ep okay? These guys good guests?

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
It's pretty good, the band is amiable and both of the character guests are solid. Holly Prazoff's character gets wild quickly and Chu-verches LOVES it.

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Help Im Alive posted:

Infantalize the women

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Tapas The Morning To Jah has been my favorite Harris joke ever since gay marriage was legal

cams
Mar 28, 2003

i'm a big fan of sloppily trying to piece together the "laura prepon's grey poupon coupon groupon" bit for friends

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I say "WiFi? Because-fi." more often than I probably should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Tapas The Morning To Jah has been my favorite Harris joke ever since gay marriage was legal

GIMME THAT WHEAT