Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
I enjoyed reading the Cities Skylines LP written here, where the LPer made a scenario based on Korea's history and that transport advisor guy from the SimCity games

Edit: Here it is https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3802672

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 28, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

MythosDragon posted:

....I cant believe someone did an SSLP of GTA. I love this man's balls. Gonna check this out.

OFS, we still want to see this trainwreck, just let us..... reset a bit so we can fully enjoy it.
Nice, happy to help introduce someone to an excellent LP. You know what the kicker is? San Andreas is less grim-dark than Pokemon Reborn. It's got grittiness and a bunch of adult themes (duh, it's a GTA game/LP), but it also has something that's anathema to Reborn: humor. You need humor or levity to break up the grimness, or it just blurs together and becomes one giant vortex of "who gives a gently caress".

Honestly I'd be kinda interested in a Pokemon Insurgence LP at this point. I've skimmed or skipped most of Reborn's "plot", and the most interesting things have been OFS breaking the game via Joe Bidoon or winning the "unwinnable" Garchomp fight. Insurgence wants you to have a huge toolbox of options and break the game in absurd ways, instead of punishing the player and removing any kind of usable strategies like Reborn does.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Omnicrom posted:

I ended up here from another forum's LP of Star Control 2 of all things, but the first ones here that really drew me in were Nakar's Ultima LPs, and the ancient Freelance Astronauts LPs. I kind of miss those guys.

AW poo poo I forgot that Freelance Astronauts were goons since they had their own site and all. Those were some fun LPs but it was wayyyyyy before my times on these forums.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Perhaps ironically, the first LP I followed was the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon one whose sequel got Pokemon LP's banned.

That first one was cute though. The player set the story up such that the human was a lost child living in wonder at suddenly being in the world of pokemon. I remember there was a lot of fanart, mostly of the kid hugging things.

I don't think the sequel LP even got more than two updates, it just immediately crossed the line of "self-inserting into your narrative Pokemon LP" that was just a step too far. Though I think it was more the last straw than anything else.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

My first LP was Spirit Armor's Sakura Taisen LP.

I guess that's a narrative LP? Weirdly, at least.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Saladin Rising posted:

Honestly I'd be kinda interested in a Pokemon Insurgence LP at this point. I've skimmed or skipped most of Reborn's "plot", and the most interesting things have been OFS breaking the game via Joe Bidoon or winning the "unwinnable" Garchomp fight. Insurgence wants you to have a huge toolbox of options and break the game in absurd ways, instead of punishing the player and removing any kind of usable strategies like Reborn does.

I've been thinking about doing that after this one wraps up. It'd be my first one and I don't have the tools to open it up as far as OFS did Uranium and Reborn but I'd still give it a shot, especially given that I'd have quite a long time to get ready anyways. And unlike a lot of other pokemon fangames I've played, I'd be willing to play that one again.

The first LP I read here was, I think, Lizard Wizard's Oblivion one, slightly before I got an account even. I never finished it, I'm midway through it now actually.

Sordas Volantyr
Jan 11, 2015

Now, everybody, walk like a Jekhar.

(God, these running animations are terrible.)

MythosDragon posted:

....I cant believe someone did an SSLP of GTA. I love this man's balls. Gonna check this out.

It gets better. We already mentioned A Scotsman in Egypt, which was basically a novella using Total War as a framework? The San Andreas LP was done by the same person. Amongst other things, it constructs an entire extra mission out of whole cloth.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

Sordas Volantyr posted:

It gets better. We already mentioned A Scotsman in Egypt, which was basically a novella using Total War as a framework? The San Andreas LP was done by the same person. Amongst other things, it constructs an entire extra mission out of whole cloth.

I hope Jerusalem's off doing professional writing by now, he certainly had the chops for it. I won't lie, A Scotsman in Egypt legit made me tear up at a couple points.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

First LP for me was one of Dark Id's Resident Evil LPs. I think Zero. No clue how I stumbled across it, not something I was looking for back in the day. I may have been googling for game tips and it came up as a result.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I don't remember my first. I remember seeing the 7 Days A Stranger series one very early on. That might have been what finally made me register.

Charlie Bobson
Dec 28, 2013

Saladin Rising posted:

Insurgence lets you get poo poo like a Larvesta by the 3rd gym, after already giving you a trainer with 3 high level Audinos to fight repeatedly. This means you can actually use Volcarona in a casual playthrough and it's awesome.

You can catch Gyarados casually with a good rod, get every starter and oodles of other cool pokemon just by looking up friend safari's on the wiki, and as already mentioned the game sells boatloads of useful held items for cheap in its department store.

The game balances this out by giving tons of goofy broken poo poo to your opponents too (gym leaders have mega evolved pokemon by the second gym, villain team leaders can have multiple legendaries on their 6 pokemon team, a real motherfucker of a protean Greninja in the final gym), but it never gets too difficult because it has a relatively smooth difficulty curve and hands you plenty of tools to handle any situation. sure, you might be facing a level 50 primal rayquaza when your team is probably low to mid 40's, but your starter just got its mega evolution and you have easy access to any x item you want in the store next door. the game never feels unfair because the rules are never suddenly switched up in the AI's favor like with reborn's gym terrains, and remain consistent throughout the game (barring a few very specific moments). The game throws every competitive team gimmick in the book at you, down to the elite fours teams being themed around stuff like trick room, sandstorm, and baton pass, and then forcing you to play on set. The game is really good at creating challenges that are actually interesting and fun to overcome, due to both the vast amount of options the game gives you and how interesting and well designed the challenges are themselves.

Insurgence also never actually requires the use of high tier pokemon to succeed. Pretty much any pokemon can be made viable and taken through the game. I beat the elite 4 and champion with poo poo like a Leavanny (albeit equipped with an insurgence specific item that gave it a sizable boost to its defenses) and Flareon, neither of which are really setting the world on fire competitively. You can go through the game just using pokemon you think are cool and cute, as long the team itself is well built. I think this is something that is important in any good pokemon game and it's something that's really missing in reborn, where your options are so limited and enemies require such specific team compositions to beat.

Edit: bringing this back to your post yeah a pokemon insurgence lp would be really cool. the game is fun and easy to like in its own dopey way but it's also easy to make fun of and would generally make good riffing material. Also seeing how someone actually competent at video games plays it would be interesting, as the game has really great pokemon availability and tons of ways to trick out your team.

Charlie Bobson fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Aug 29, 2018

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

new title is good

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Black Robe posted:

Well, it was also because a Pokemon Mystery Dungeon thread started getting out of hand and the mods finally had enough. It wasn't anything horrific, just a bunch of people getting carried away with their personal fanfics, but it had the potential to get very bad if left unchecked so it got shut down hard.

If only that had happened to Reborn.

I will point out the PMD2 one went the way it did narratively because the dude running it was going through some horrific poo poo in his life and really wanted an escape. When people piled onto him saying the LP idea was bad he just started profusely apologizing. It honestly really sucked cos he seemed like a super nice dude. :smith:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

MythosDragon posted:

I learned what roleplay was by someone scarring my 13 year old mind. So I can confirm and I'm praying that Reborn never goes there. Please don't. PLEASE!
Too late. Reborn is already a transcription of someone's trashy edgelord RP. Unless you're talking about something specific, in which case we'll just have to hope the game doesn't go there.

MythosDragon posted:

Yeah most of the best LPs involve some small narrative additions, such as giving a voice to the silent protagonist or attempting to give canon characters more dialogue such as Nine Gear Crow's White Knight Chronicle LP(Psst, you still have another game if you really want Azza Bamboo art) and Dark Id's DrakeNier LPs. I don't really enjoy LPs that are just transcribing the game, especially for older games that are severely lacking in their own story focus due to it being impossible back then, so its really helpful and gave rise to my opinion that an LP's ultimate goal is to be a better experience then the game itself.
If you're looking for good narrative LPs, I'd also suggest Scintilla's LP of Breath of Fire (and to a lesser extent BoF2), Didja Redo's LP of Avalon Code, Schildkrote's LP of Persona 3, and Chewbot's LP of Animal Crossing. A common theme of those games is is that they all have silent protagonists, and all of the LPs except AC basically just add a voice to that protagonist.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

Commander Keene posted:

Too late. Reborn is already a transcription of someone's trashy edgelord RP. Unless you're talking about something specific, in which case we'll just have to hope the game doesn't go there.

If you're looking for good narrative LPs, I'd also suggest Scintilla's LP of Breath of Fire (and to a lesser extent BoF2), Didja Redo's LP of Avalon Code, Schildkrote's LP of Persona 3, and Chewbot's LP of Animal Crossing. A common theme of those games is is that they all have silent protagonists, and all of the LPs except AC basically just add a voice to that protagonist.

The 2nd worst thought that came to your mind is probably pretty close as long as it involved stranger danger on the internet.

I have an account because I read like 80% of the RPG/Narrative LPs on the archive and had some extra cash in a prepaid card so I could read some of the non archived LPs..... none of them had images or were unfinished despite being labeled finished on the Master List. So I read all those but the P3 one because the 2 P4 ones were both essentially 100% transcribing and I dont enjoy that. (Most of my favorite PS2 Games got LPs like that.....) I just somehow managed to not notice GTA blaring itself under the SS tag I guess.

Saladin Rising posted:

Theres a 100% chance of me following an Insurgence LP because of Mega Typhlosion. Please use Mega Typhlosion. Honestly might even play it myself when its 100%ed.

On the topic of Megas... They piss me off despite the fact that I like them. Game Freak seems to have backpedaled on them with Gen 7, but theres a huge problem with that. Some starter pokemon have Megas, so all starter pokemon have to have Megas or the entire series becomes unbalanced.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Commander Keene posted:

Worse than that: a lot of the stuff like Team Meteor never existed in the original RP

This is badly written fanfiction based off of a dumb teenager (?) edgelord RP.

cugel
Jan 22, 2010

Commander Keene posted:

That reminds me of this: The Ballad of Mike Haggar.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

the Orb of Zot posted:

Worse than that: a lot of the stuff like Team Meteor never existed in the original RP

This is badly written fanfiction based off of a dumb teenager (?) edgelord RP.
I suppose I should have said "adaptation" and not "transcription", because the original RP didn't have any of the hamfisted tone-deaf "tributes" to dead people, either.

MythosDragon posted:

The 2nd worst thought that came to your mind is probably pretty close as long as it involved stranger danger on the internet.
I try not to contemplate on the weird and creepy end of the Internet. I have enough taxes on my sanity as is.

MythosDragon posted:

I have an account because I read like 80% of the RPG/Narrative LPs on the archive and had some extra cash in a prepaid card so I could read some of the non archived LPs..... none of them had images or were unfinished despite being labeled finished on the Master List. So I read all those but the P3 one because the 2 P4 ones were both essentially 100% transcribing and I dont enjoy that. (Most of my favorite PS2 Games got LPs like that.....) I just somehow managed to not notice GTA blaring itself under the SS tag I guess.
Shildekrote's P3 LP is done in the style of a blog/livejournal from the point of view of the MC. It's an interesting read, IMO.

Commander Keene fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Aug 29, 2018

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

Draxion posted:

I've been thinking about doing that after this one wraps up. It'd be my first one and I don't have the tools to open it up as far as OFS did Uranium and Reborn but I'd still give it a shot, especially given that I'd have quite a long time to get ready anyways. And unlike a lot of other pokemon fangames I've played, I'd be willing to play that one again.

The first LP I read here was, I think, Lizard Wizard's Oblivion one, slightly before I got an account even. I never finished it, I'm midway through it now actually.
"I'd be willing to play that game again" is high praise for a fan-game, and probably the best benchmark for if it's truly fun or not.

MythosDragon posted:

Theres a 100% chance of me following an Insurgence LP because of Mega Typhlosion. Please use Mega Typhlosion. Honestly might even play it myself when its 100%ed.

On the topic of Megas... They piss me off despite the fact that I like them. Game Freak seems to have backpedaled on them with Gen 7, but theres a huge problem with that. Some starter pokemon have Megas, so all starter pokemon have to have Megas or the entire series becomes unbalanced.
I really dislike the Gen 7 retcon of "oh yeah a lot of Mega Evolutions are physically damaging to your Pokemon, and make your Pokemon evil and stressed out and stuff". Mega evolutions were cool, and a whole bunch of people were looking forward to more of them. Now it seems like Gamefreak is dumping them in the "been there, done that" bin, and coming up with an after-the-fact reason for doing so.

It reminds me of how some of the stuff in Reborn is written, actually. "This cool thing you like is actually bad, and here's some unconvincing :words: to show you why that is."

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Aug 29, 2018

Arcade Rabbit
Nov 11, 2013

The whole Mega thing makes everyone in Kalos look like sociopaths, but I think we already had that conversation.

My first LP for SA was over on the Archives. Dark Id's trip through Drakengard 1 made for a very unique introduction to the hobby.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Saladin Rising posted:

"I'd be willing to play that game again" is high praise for a fan-game, and probably the best benchmark for if it's truly fun or not.

I really dislike the Gen 7 retcon of "oh yeah a lot of Mega Evolutions are physically damaging to your Pokemon, and make your Pokemon evil and stressed out and stuff". Mega evolutions were cool, and a whole bunch of people were looking forward to more of them. Now it seems like Gamefreak is dumping them in the "been there, done that" bin, and coming up with an after-the-fact reason for doing so.

It reminds me of how some of the stuff in Reborn is written, actually. "This cool thing you like is actually bad, and here's some unconvincing :words: to show you why that is."

For what it's worth that's not a gen 7 retcon, it just leaned into it more like the rest of the black humor the dex entries had. Gen 6 side materials had similar aspects and ORAS descriptions in particular had some rough stuff.
But hey, at least megas got to come back for a second game instead of tossed aside instantly like alolan forms!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Well, if this is suddenly the "You & LP" thread then, I guess watching the Freelance Astronauts and reading The Dark Id's LPs fueled my desire to try my hand at LPing, but it was connecting with Blind Sally that gave me the means and drive to actually do it.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I started watching LPs on youtube and then eventually made my way here, I don't even remember what the first one was. I remember checking out slowbeef's Metroid Prime LP at some point, but I was already watching Protonjon at the time and his Superman 64 LP has been going on for like 15 years at this point so I honestly can't remember. I can't even remember what I did for my birthday two years ago.

As for narrative LPs Chorocojo's Pokemon LPs were also good fun, no offense OFS.

And I also liked Tendales' Dragon Quest V LP And I'm usually too much of a graphics snob to deal with anything pre-PS2.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Aug 29, 2018

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

RareAcumen posted:

And I also liked Tendales' Dragon Quest V LP And I'm usually too much of a graphics snob to deal with anything pre-PS2.

Love it, as far as I'm aware DQ5 was the first Monster Collecting game, so its even relevant! I'm so glad Frank is around to give us more Dragon Quest.

I've also been counting the days till 11 since the start of the month, LESS THAN A WEEK!

MythosDragon fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Aug 29, 2018

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I appreciate that Azza's version of Raven has transformed from "bewildered and dismayed tourist" to "furious, musclebound rebel" to "completely over literally everything and just along for the ride," just like the LP Raven.

And OFS.

And the thread.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I think one of my first VLPs was DC's La Mulana, and SSLPs was probably either Ultima or A Scotsman in Egypt. What really brought me over to SA and made me pony up was the Total War Shogun 2 LP. Rise of the Samurai was completed on the archive and I saw that there was a thread for the main campaign but it was behind the paywall by then. I had some spare cash at the time so I thought might as well. Shame that LP got abandoned though, but it was for a good reason.

RyuHimora
Feb 22, 2009
So I went to look up how to get the PokeGear phone calls working in Pokemon Essentials, and the wiki has been deleted. Apparently Nintendo has decided to C&D the entirety of Essentials without even giving the developer notice or warning. There is no way to get the dev kit itself, updates, or documentation anymore.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Well that sucks, but Pokemon fangames are awful and I hate them, even the slightly good ones, because there's still a million bad ones lurking beneath the surface, so oh well.

Shame that Nintendo is still C&D happy though.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

RyuHimora posted:

So I went to look up how to get the PokeGear phone calls working in Pokemon Essentials, and the wiki has been deleted. Apparently Nintendo has decided to C&D the entirety of Essentials without even giving the developer notice or warning. There is no way to get the dev kit itself, updates, or documentation anymore.
it's amazing to see just all of that wiped out like that.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

RyuHimora posted:

Well that's certainly Nintendo going full "kill a fly with a sledgehammer" on Pokemon Essentials. Jeez.

MythosDragon
Jan 3, 2016

On the bright side we wont be tempted to make Awfulmon around page 200 now?

Psycho Knight
Jan 19, 2017

"Being a fangame and not bound to a rating, Pokemon Reborn is able to expand more on topics such as death and the extreme dangers Pokemon could pose. These topics...are treated with the respect such a subject deserves."

Let's throw a Medicham into a volcano and make it give the T2 thumbs up!

nine-gear crow posted:

What are you talking about? I already gave Origins the LP it deserved.

I got super :swoon: for a second before remembering that it was just an April Fools Day crank. The only thing that got me through that game (and WKC I\II I guess) was transformation sequences. I loving love transformation sequences. Outside of that, I agree. You paid the proper tribute to that game. A game already in English that even the NA localizer was like 'Ehh, we're gonna pass.'

RyuHimora posted:

On the one hand that's a shame, on the other hand it will hopefully prevent (or at least delay) another game like Reborn.

Don't really want to continue the thread derailment, but I'll say it was Dark ID that got me here and reading LP's started as a way to pass downtime at work. No regrets.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Is it too late to mention my favorite LP?

I also want to recommend Seyzer Koze's currently running Pokemon LP because it's a blind playthrough of what an official Pokemon game's supposed to be, compared to this trainwreck.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!

Saladin Rising posted:

Well that's certainly Nintendo going full "kill a fly with a sledgehammer" on Pokemon Essentials. Jeez.
I'd think a shotgun would be the more apt comparison here, but yeah.

RIP Essentials, RIP Pokemon Fangame community...until something inevitably takes Essentals' place.

EDIT: I went looking at the community response to it and it more or less boils down to "this sucks, makes Essentials way harder to get and more inconvenient to develop for with the online documentation gone, but it's still usable thanks to the tutorial maps it comes with and we're not going to stop releasing fangames or sharing resources for it." So it might not be as big a blow as I thought it was. Mostly affected distribution of the toolkit.

ParTwo fucked around with this message at 06:01 on Aug 29, 2018

AweStriker
Oct 6, 2014

flarp22 posted:

I'd think a shotgun would be the more apt comparison here, but yeah.

I'd probably compare with some sort of explosive device, myself.

I heard the rumor a day or so ago but googling it produced no solid news, just the aforementioned wikia deletion...

flarp22 posted:

RIP Essentials, RIP Pokemon Fangame community...until something inevitably takes Essentals' place.

...and a github repo claiming to be Pokémon Essentials for RPG Maker MV.

Essentials is dead, long live Essentials.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I don't really get why goons are so down on DC. My first LP was the one where he plays some Barbie game right after getting his wisdom teeth removed, while still high on painkillers and anaesthetic. It was pretty solid. His stuff is pretty samey, but it's good for those nights when you need to fall asleep to youtube. I've since moved on to Slowbeef and Diabeetus' longplay stuff, though.

Saladin Rising posted:

Well, that's on you for using dumb edgy megas instead of the cool goofy ones. I've only gotten entries like this one:

Ultra Moon posted:

Having been swallowed whole by Shellder, Slowbro now has an iron defense. It's pretty comfortable in there, too.

The biggest crime of S/M is the lack of a national dex preventing us from getting entries like Mega Altaria, detailing how it's only become fluffier, huggier and an even prettier singer. :argh:

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

To tie the derail back to Reborn - a bit, anyway - this game would actually be a hilarious narrative LP. Imagine Raven's actual thoughts and responses to this batshit setting and awful people. You could obviously have fun with it the way this thread already has and building on our existing jokes and merciless mockery - I figure it would turn out a lot like the Pokemon Vietnamese Crystal LP did (https://lparchive.org/Pokemon-Vietnamese-Crystal/). Or you could play it totally straight and turn it into a real dystopian horror story.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I don't really get why goons are so down on DC. My first LP was the one where he plays some Barbie game right after getting his wisdom teeth removed, while still high on painkillers and anaesthetic. It was pretty solid. His stuff is pretty samey, but it's good for those nights when you need to fall asleep to youtube. I've since moved on to Slowbeef and Diabeetus' longplay stuff, though.

I believe it's mostly old drama. Some of his stuff came down just this side of a youtube dump or something when people were particularly cracking down on that, things were said, et cetera. These days the line's mainly drawn at fly-by-night "here's a hundred youtube links, like comment subscribe byeeeee" dumps, and I haven't seen many of those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Basically Gamefreak admitted that they couldn't handle the workload of making more Mega Pokemon for SM and USUM, because they knew they just couldn't satisfy everyone. So instead of making another limited pool of improved designs, they went with Z-Moves as a way for every Pokemon to become stronger and have access to cool animations.
Of course, Mega Evos have since then become a core concept of a few Pokemon fangames, hence we got the Pulse Pokemon in this game. Which, on it's own, is an idea I thoroughly enjoy, especially since a competent writer could use it to further increase the malice of Team Evil. Hell, I could even see someone from the mainline games like Colress attempting to power up Pokemon with machines, only to have it go horribly wrong and make them raging and become something for the player to overcome. Especially since Pokemon interacting with machines for improvement is a theme that's been present in the game from Gen 1 (in the form of Bill and, in the anime, Ash before the Brock fight) through Gen V with the DNA Splicers and in Gen VII with whatever Sophocles was doing.

But no. Hamfisted drama and triple schisofrenia are par for the course over here.

Kikas fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Aug 29, 2018