Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Mike N Eich posted:

Just watched the RLM Plinkett video on it and it’s nitpicky and garbage

Probably going to be cited ad nauseam for the next few years as the final word on the subject just like the prequel ones have been for almost a decade at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Wheat Loaf posted:

Probably going to be cited ad nauseam for the next few years as the final word on the subject just like the prequel ones have been for almost a decade at this point.

Good.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Mike N Eich posted:

ooo new plinkett's up?

Their TFA plinkett was pretty bad though.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I have never watched any of the rlm stuff cuz it sounds like insufferable garbage

- fridge corn

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

the plinkett reviews are nitpicky but they're literally better than 99% of cined posts on movies

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
A bar so low you gotta dig a hole under it.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

They travel to Sex Planet.

You can't travel to Sex Planet. It is not a location.

It is a state of mind.

Mike N Eich posted:

I feel the exact opposite pressure because I hate all the hegemonic criticisms of the film but I absolutely do not like the film

I absolutely understand that.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Mike N Eich posted:

I feel the exact opposite pressure because I hate all the hegemonic criticisms of the film but I absolutely do not like the film

Isn't that, like, their whole shtick?

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

They literally pointed out SMG's points about the red guards not doing anything.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

Isn't that, like, their whole shtick?

It's usually a mix. The funny nitpicks break up longer, more substantial critiques.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
RLM believes Star Wars should've ended at Eps 5 and everything that came after sucks.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Thom12255 posted:

RLM believes Star Wars should've ended at Eps 5 and everything that came after sucks.

Finally, something everyone can agree with RLM about

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

He’s right. attack of the clones was the best and they should have stopped there.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Plinket Spoilers:

They summarize some of the more moderate complaints about the film but don't engage in analysis or criticism. Like, they complain that a given thing is confusing but never actually figure it out. Kind of a waste of time.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
RLM's way out is "You didn't notice, but your brain did." so they don't have to provide a concrete reason for anything.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/star-wars-episode-ix-matt-smith-1202886507/

Dr Who man has a leading role in Eps 9.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

mllaneza posted:

Firefly proved you can have a dynamic use of color while sticking to browns and such.

Hahaha

Have you seen Firefly?? It's ugly as poo poo.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
One of these days I should actually write out my analysis of TLJ that explains its shallow herecy but that would necessitate watching it a second time, finding screencaps...... bleh

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Thank you.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
heresy lol

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity

Basebf555 posted:

heresy lol

zod_herecy.gif

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

heresy lol

It's true! All these people have all these magic powers, but do any of them mention Jesus? Not even once.

Although they do seem to believe in hell :thunk:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

I hope his characters name is actually Doctor Whoman.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Quicksilver6 posted:

So am I still permitted to like TLJ or do I have to hate it now?

Nothing is canon, everything is permitted

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Thom12255 posted:

RLM's way out is "You didn't notice, but your brain did." so they don't have to provide a concrete reason for anything.

https://variety.com/2018/film/news/star-wars-episode-ix-matt-smith-1202886507/

Dr Who man has a leading role in Eps 9.

Oh this is exciting! Hopefully this makes up for him hitching his star to Terminator Genysis and his "major role" never happening due to the sequels never happening.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

RLM bungled their read of what Luke is trying to say about ownership of the Force, with them interpreting Luke as saying that it isn't something Rey has, when he means it isn't something Rey has

they're turbocorrect that the movie should have ended with Kylo Ren's proposal to Rey and Leia should have done the suicide

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Quicksilver6 posted:

So am I still permitted to like TLJ or do I have to hate it now?

Personally, if someone mentioned to me that they enjoyed TLJ I’d cut them out of my life.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
When I say that TLJ is gnosticism/heresy I mean like-----it's been posited by HUNDU and Senpai that Rey is an Anti-Christ figure. There's certainly merit to that reading but I'd say by design she's more of a Sophia figure----embodying wisdom ("she already knows everything she needs to," or w/e it is Yoda says), and the intended "Bride of Christ" (that's Kylo). For ex., in the pit, confronting her greatest fear, Rey finds her mirrored image extending into infinity. Most have suggested this stands for her fear of loneliness----never finding a place to belong or w/e. That's part of it, but more specifically it's a fear of sterility-----no future, only More of These Star Wars ad infinitum. At the end with the boulders, Rey isn't announcing herself as Christ or AntiChrist so much as midwifing the new christ, Hope. This shallow feel-good theology can only lead to Albigensianism, the repudiation of the physical to the point of (occasionally Crusader-assisted) suicide.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013

grieving for Gandalf posted:

they're turbocorrect that the movie should have ended with Kylo Ren's proposal to Rey and Leia should have done the suicide

I remember feeling during my first watch that this was the end of the movie but then it didn't end. Then I remembered the trailers with the AT-AT's on the planet that hadn't happened yet and wondered how much more of this is there.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Plinket Spoilers:

They summarize some of the more moderate complaints about the film but don't engage in analysis or criticism. Like, they complain that a given thing is confusing but never actually figure it out. Kind of a waste of time.

They do a pretty thorough analysis of the screenplay.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

Thom12255 posted:

This is actually correct.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Judakel posted:

They do a pretty thorough analysis of the screenplay.

Yeah they go through the common criticisms pretty quick without too much dwelling on them. The screenplay analysis was pretty fun to watch. I had also never seen the deleted scenes and thank god they got deleted.

I actually think the suggested ending point is also better than what we actually got.

Raccooon fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Aug 28, 2018

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
RLM stole my idea of not watching Star Wars

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Harime Nui posted:

When I say that TLJ is gnosticism/heresy I mean like-----it's been posited by HUNDU and Senpai that Rey is an Anti-Christ figure. There's certainly merit to that reading but I'd say by design she's more of a Sophia figure----embodying wisdom ("she already knows everything she needs to," or w/e it is Yoda says), and the intended "Bride of Christ" (that's Kylo). For ex., in the pit, confronting her greatest fear, Rey finds her mirrored image extending into infinity.

I gotta object, Harime; Rey isn’t the least bit afraid during the cave vision quest thing.

I think we should go back to the beginning: Lucas was already putting a twist on the Bible by giving his Christ (quasi)-literal children. Through the familial metaphor, Luke and Leia become aware that they are ‘children of God’ and therefore siblings in Christ.

In TLJ, though, we go into straight-up “Jesus Scroll” sort of territory with the argument that the hidden biological son of Jesus - i.e. Luke - is the true Christ, the true son of God. In this view, Vader is ‘merely’ the incarnation of God, and not the son. So the film ends with Luke shrugging off Gnostic crucifixion imagery and his death is followed by a variation on Matthew 28:2:

“Behold, there was a great earthquake, for an angel of the Lord descended from
the sky, and came and rolled away the stone from the door...”

Of course what emerges from the death of Luke is not any kind of Holy Spirit. Instead of spreading the gospel, Rey and Leia will spread the 30,000 year old Sacred Jedi Texts that predate Christianity or even the Star Wars equivalent of Abrahamic religion. The point being that Christ was actually secretly a devotee of Eastern spirituality and ‘ancient wisdom’ - and in this case not even terribly good at it. Nobody’s really broken up about his death.

In fact, the most crucial point in TLJ, which nobody seems to have noted, is that R2 ditches Luke. After initiating the whole scheme to bring a hero like Rey to him, using his map that predates the existence of the Empire, R2 ultimately runs off with the ancient books and abandons Luke to his slow death.

In this context, Padme could be understood retroactively as the Sophia figure.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

The absolute worst part of the RLM review is when he keeps saying there were only twelve survivors but then you count them and find out he wasn't including the droids as people

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Jewel Repetition posted:

The absolute worst part of the RLM review is when he keeps saying there were only twelve survivors but then you count them and find out he wasn't including the droids as people

Yowza

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Jewel Repetition posted:

I mean that's been the deal from the start--remember when he got super confused about why Padme gives R2D2 a medal or whatever in Phantom Menace? "Like why would you give a toaster a medal?"

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

porfiria posted:

I mean that's been the deal from the start--remember when he got super confused about why Padme gives R2D2 a medal or whatever in Phantom Menace? "Like why would you give a toaster a medal?"

gently caress him

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
I always thought that was a weird scene just because there were, like, half a dozen other droids working alongside R2, and the only special thing R2 did was not get killed. Like, either acknowledge the droids that died repairing the ship or just treat them all as machines, but singling out R2 for praise was weird and awkward.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Angry Salami posted:

I always thought that was a weird scene just because there were, like, half a dozen other droids working alongside R2, and the only special thing R2 did was not get killed. Like, either acknowledge the droids that died repairing the ship or just treat them all as machines, but singling out R2 for praise was weird and awkward.

He got a medal because he was the one who got laid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009
My Son, Rian Johnson