Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
50 mm f/1.8 can be a cheap lens or it can be a very high quality lens. There is more to price and quality of a lens than focal length and aperture.

The large mount should be visible in things like:
- Lenses are sharp in corners with little vignetting. The published lenses are according to charts published by Nikon.
- Wide angle lenses are high quality and compact. At least the 14-30 f/4 to be published is compact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

[Edit: I see the poster above laid out some additional advantages of the wide lens mount. I guess my question still stands, as it's specifically about wide aperture lenses.]

drat, if the 58/.95 is going to be manual-focus only, will it really be much to get excited about when there's already the old manual-focus 58/1.2? Sure, there's the fractionally faster max. aperture, but that's already a very shallow DoF at 1.2. The costly 'old Noct' lens with all its collectors' market value appreciation goes for around $3,000. If the new Noct can't beat that price or offer autofocus...what's the point?

Thinking about this, I guess it's also kind of weird to me that there's all this talk about how the new wide-throat S-mount is going to open up these new possibilities for superspeed lenses when there are a small gaggle of f/1.2 50's for F-mount already. Is it that they're hard to implement with autofocus?

Speaking of f/1.2, I originally came here with a different question: what's the deal with the Fuji 56/1.2 versus the 56/1.2 APD? I guess I already understand that the APD version has smoother focus transition areas, but that this is achieved with a masking element that reduces the T-stop of any aperture wider than f/6.3 or so. I've also heard that the lens doesn't focus as quickly as the regular 56/1.2. Has anyone here used it? Do its compromises for the sake of bokeh seriously hamper its use for applications besides 'creative' portraiture? i.e. does low-light event or walkaround street/urban landscape photography become a much greater pain in the rear end relative to the regular 56? I'm curious, because my local camera shop has a lightly-used 56 APD on sale for the same price as a new non-APD.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Aug 28, 2018

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
APD is sort of (but not quite) similar to the idea behind Sony and Minolta's STF lenses. It's smoother bokeys at the cost of transmission, hence the slower AF. If you're a bokeh nut it might be worth it to you. If you don't like it, you can always flip it.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
There were some rumblings that Z-mount 50 mm f/1.8 has lower T-stop than F-mount 50 mm f/1.8, closer to F-mount f/1.4, but I haven’t seen anything concrete about that. We’ll see.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Speaking of f/1.2, I originally came here with a different question: what's the deal with the Fuji 56/1.2 versus the 56/1.2 APD? I guess I already understand that the APD version has smoother focus transition areas, but that this is achieved with a masking element that reduces the T-stop of any aperture wider than f/6.3 or so. I've also heard that the lens doesn't focus as quickly as the regular 56/1.2. Has anyone here used it? Do its compromises for the sake of bokeh seriously hamper its use for applications besides 'creative' portraiture? i.e. does low-light event or walkaround street/urban landscape photography become a much greater pain in the rear end relative to the regular 56? I'm curious, because my local camera shop has a lightly-used 56 APD on sale for the same price as a new non-APD.
No, but I've watched a ton of fuji lens videos over the last few weeks and this one is a direct photo shoot comparison. The bokeh doesn't seem much better in the APD but in a few of the shots, the R image is noticeably brighter. I didn't see anything in the APD pictures that said "worth 500 more dollars!".

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

cheese posted:

Maybe those empty slots in the coming years will be 1.2 primes?

That's exactly what its going to enable, yes.

In the meantime, they're filling up the most commonly bought lenses to build an ecosystem asap.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe

kefkafloyd posted:

"Guys, aren't you excited about our 58 f/.95 Noct that costs six grand and is manual focus only? Oh, and it weighs like a brick?"

Honestly, they're better off filling out the essential lenses before getting to the exotics, and I'm sure one of those empty "TBA" slots in 2019/2020 might be something more interesting.

WTF the 0.95 lens is manual only? Didn't Canon launched the EF system with a 1.0 lens and its AF? Nikon put a medium format mount in there just to be 0.05 faster than EF mount?

Also I reject this idea that 50/1.8 can be made in Rolex quality and ninja expensive. No. 50mm 1.8 used to be freaking kit lens, then they cheap out and kit the bodies with 50mm/2.0. Later they put out 28-70 f4.5-5.6 or whatever super slow kit lens. But the 50mm 1.8 was and has always been the first lens we recommend to beginner. How do you make a system with no price friendly 50mm prime lens. That's bullshit.

tino fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Aug 28, 2018

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010

cheese posted:

In Fuji chat, how does the eye AF on newer Fuji bodies compare to Sony? I've been playing around with it on my X-E2s and its pretty hit or miss.

It doesn't. At least, not from any of the videos I've seen.. It usually takes a full second or two to acquire a face and then a little while longer to cotton on to the fact that there might be an eye somewhere in it, and often plants the eye on a cheek or an ear. If you're slow and methodical and using a willing model, it may help, but for the most part the xtrans3 eye-af is just as likely to miss now as it did on the xtrans2 cameras.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

tino posted:

Also I reject this idea that 50/1.8 can be made in Rolex quality and ninja expensive. No. 50mm 1.8 used to be freaking kit lens, then they cheap out and kit the bodies with 50mm/2.0. Later they put out 28-70 f4.5-5.6 or whatever super slow kit lens. But the 50mm 1.8 was and has always been the first lens we recommend to beginner. How do you make a system with no price friendly 50mm prime lens. That's bullshit.

This is similar to how I feel too. Nifty fifties are supposed to be the gateway drug to fast lenses. Not to mention they're usually fairly compact to make for a great walk around kit. The new Nikon one is expensive and massive, which sort of defeats the purpose. I know you can just use the old Nikon one with the adapter, but if you want to buy into the new mount it kind of sucks. Both the 35 and 50 look like they took the mechanics of the old mount options and glued the adaptor to the back anyways.

I guess I shouldn't talk too much poo poo since Fuji's options at that length aren't super cheap either, but it just feels different when the old system had that cheap option and now the "same" thing is 6x the cost.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Took the XF 16-55 to the zoo and so far favorably impressed even with the SOOC jpgs.

It's not as heavy or large as I had feared and the bokeh is pretty good! I clearly need to get used to not having IS anymore however.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I'm not in favor of expensive kit 50's, and the history of photography in the 20th century is full of examples where extremely sharp 50/1.8/1.7/2 lenses were often the cheapest optics in a given system, but at this point the Z 50 is just following in the footsteps of Zeiss and their FF Sonnar 55/1.8 and APSC Touit 32/1.8.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Saros posted:

Took the XF 16-55 to the zoo and so far favorably impressed even with the SOOC jpgs.

It's not as heavy or large as I had feared and the bokeh is pretty good! I clearly need to get used to not having IS anymore however.

One of the best things about the Fuji system (to me) is how amazing the jpgs are. I love not really caring about doing post for 95% of what I'm shooting.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Nikkor Z 50 mm f/1.8:

Nikkor AF-S 50 mm f/1.8G (i.e. current DSLR 50 mm):

Nikkor AF 50 mm f/1.8D (i.e. older DSLR 50 mm):

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh man i haven't seen MTF charts posted here in ages

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
graphs are the true measure of a good photo

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Well, they do clearly show the benefit of the large mount and that the 50 mm is not just the current design with the adapter glued on.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I'm not in favor of expensive kit 50's, and the history of photography in the 20th century is full of examples where extremely sharp 50/1.8/1.7/2 lenses were often the cheapest optics in a given system, but at this point the Z 50 is just following in the footsteps of Zeiss and their FF Sonnar 55/1.8 and APSC Touit 32/1.8.

Nikon's kind of huffing their own farts about how they're an optics company first and that it's putting optical design FIRST.

The reality is that they need more revenue and decided to make expensive lenses with high margins. No idea how much the 2019 50 f/1.2 is gonna cost.

Turns out Sony's cheap 50 f/1.8, nicer 55 f/1.8, and spendy 50 f/1.4 strategy was the right one though. The cheap lens (when it comes) will probably be a 50 f/2. Same goes for Fuji's middle-prime lineup.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

Hope Olympus announce their rumored flagship whatever soon; I’m somehow feeling huge GAS pains and have started looking at Sony poo poo.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Another motivation for focusing on more expensive lenses may be third party manufacturers. Rokinon FE mount AF lenses appear very price competitive. May be difficult to maintain margin in that market.

Nikon business development director stated that they expect that third party manufacturers will reverse engineer the Z-mount and release lenses. Shouldn’t be too difficult as at least Sigma F-mount lenses appear work with the adapter already. They just need to replicate the signals of the adapter and they are done.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

kefkafloyd posted:

Nikon's kind of huffing their own farts about how they're an optics company first and that it's putting optical design FIRST.

The reality is that they need more revenue and decided to make expensive lenses with high margins. No idea how much the 2019 50 f/1.2 is gonna cost.

FWIW the 3 Olympus f/1.2 primes are all $1200 so that may give you some idea

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

DJExile posted:

Thise are M43 right? Full frame lenses will be much more I would guess.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

DJExile posted:

DoLittle posted:

Thise are M43 right? Full frame lenses will be much more I would guess.

Correct. They cover a much smaller image circle.

The Sony 50mm f/1.4 Zeiss is $1500. A 50mm f/1.2 will be a lot more. The ancient Canon 50 f/1.2 is on sale with an instant rebate at $1300. I'd bet it would be around $2K for a new 50 f/1.2 from Nikon.

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
Can you really make 3rd party AF lens for new mount without licensing? I thought you can only do it on old mounts after the patent and copyright expire.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

tino posted:

Can you really make 3rd party AF lens for new mount without licensing? I thought you can only do it on old mounts after the patent and copyright expire.

If you black box reverse engineer it, you can. Sigma and Tamron have made third-party AF lenses for years on the simpler AF mounts. But the newer mounts are considerably more complicated in protocol, and until recently the variety of formats in the mirrorless realm makes applying across different mounts difficult.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Just like Compaq did with the IBM clone PCs.

Third party manufacturers already know F-mount through and through and now Nikon has provided a fully functional adapter between F and Z. That should tell the third parties everything they need to translate the electric signals between Z mount and their lenses.

DoLittle fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Aug 28, 2018

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
I think its more like making games for Playstation, you have to pay for the license and get approval. It's easy to add encryption to pure digital mounts. I am surprised we don't have definite answer yet.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006
Yes, they could make it more difficult than just replicating the signals. Here’s Google translate of Nikon BDM comment on the topic, whatever that means:

Nikon Japan BDM posted:

At the recital, there was a comment that the specification of Z mount will not be disclosed to the third party. Actually, in Nikon it seems that the same correspondence was made even with the lens for F mount of single lens reflex. Mr. Ikegami says that lens makers are anticipating that they will independently develop Z mount lenses through reverse engineering. Although it can be said whether or not to develop a lens for Z mount depending on the lens maker, I would like to expect Nikon for an attractive product development that lens makers would like to develop together.

Article: https://translate.googleusercontent...uvx-CGO889O9Znw

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

tino posted:

WTF the 0.95 lens is manual only?

Are there any f0.95 lenses available that have Auto Focus?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
The closest was the Canon 50mm f/1.0.

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo
When Nikon eventually implements 3x RAID XQD and 60fps continuous still burst on their mirrorless bodies we'll finally be back to shooting 35mm motion picture film.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Father O'Blivion posted:

When Nikon eventually implements 3x RAID XQD and 60fps continuous still burst on their mirrorless bodies we'll finally be back to shooting 35mm motion picture film.

I giggled at this.

The more things change, etc

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004

Yeast posted:

I giggled at this.

The more things change, etc

Mirrorless will make it that much more difficult to shoot blind people. At least the shutter release provides a beat. :11tea:

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

tino posted:

I think its more like making games for Playstation, you have to pay for the license and get approval. It's easy to add encryption to pure digital mounts. I am surprised we don't have definite answer yet.

No.

You buy a camera+lens and hook them up to an oscilloscope. If you can show that your engineers decoded the signals without doing industrial espionage/decompiling firmware code/flat out copying patent descriptions then you’re legally in the right.

For instance, Canon being pissed at third party lens manufacturers (particularly at Sigma due to some dispute that started in FD days iirc) and slightly changing the body-lens communication from time to time is the reason that 3rd party lenses with their only mostly-complete reverse engineering of the Canon EF protocol used to stop working on newer camera bodies. None of these manufacturers bought rights from Canon.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 29, 2018

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
*cough*

crosspost

false advertising. This one has a mirror. But no reflex.

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
the little cable that goes from the camera to the flippy LCD screen on my launch x-t2 is frayed and makes the screen gently caress up if it's not in exactly the right position. it just started and i was like oh hell yeah baby just under the wire on that 2 year warranty!! come to find out that starting with the x-t2, fuji only does a 1 year warranty on bodies. this stincks :saddowns:

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
if you have a small screwdriver and its just a normal ribbon cable, you can probably fix that yourself if you can find the part.

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

underage at the vape shop posted:

if you have a small screwdriver and its just a normal ribbon cable, you can probably fix that yourself if you can find the part.

Yeah, definitely. If you're going to do more repairs or DIY stuff, I still have my set of Wiha drivers from ten years ago and they are excellent.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

It's probably about $100-200 at fuji service. I've never had a complaint about them.

Twenty-Seven
Jul 6, 2008

I'm so tired
yeah i'm definitely too stupid and lazy to fix it myself, and i've had decent experiences with fuji repair on some lens issues before. i'm just bummed about the shorter warranty thing. i'm sure there was discussion about it at the time but it totally escaped my notice. live and learn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Birudojin
Oct 7, 2010

WHIRR CLANK
If you bought it with a credit card, check your policy - some cards add a year to purchases, so you might still be in the clear.