Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Dentist offices, well known for having on site security.

Dentists generally are loving scammers though, he's not wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Aspen Dental is apparently a big scam shop. I went to one once and after taking more than a dozen x-rays they told me I had 4 molar cavities. Immediately called bullshit and got a second opinion from my previous dentist, who said my teeth were fine. Ten years later, still no cavities.

Aspen didn't send any goons after me though :shrug:

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

bike tory posted:

Dentists generally are loving scammers though, he's not wrong

https://youtu.be/Z3S4Rp8t1jA?t=1m29s

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

lol that man sure has trouble finding normal women :roflolmao:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
My dentist doesn't do poo poo like that. Hell, after I had a tooth break, he could have said I needed a root canal or some poo poo, but told me all I needed was a crown. When I had my wisdom teeth out, the extractions were done in a couple of minutes and my recovery was painless.
I now realize how very fortunate I am to have a good guy dentist.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Aleph Null posted:

My dentist doesn't do poo poo like that. Hell, after I had a tooth break, he could have said I needed a root canal or some poo poo, but told me all I needed was a crown. When I had my wisdom teeth out, the extractions were done in a couple of minutes and my recovery was painless.
I now realize how very fortunate I am to have a good guy dentist.

Its one of those professions like car mechanic where most people don't know much about the service they're getting so its real easy for them to tack on extra stuff.

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
They already put a 500% markup or thereabouts on the materials, tricking people into getting poo poo they don't need is pure unnecessary greed.

When I was getting my veneers done the nurse was chatting about how her dentist father used (or previously used?) clear nail polish as a sealant for some part of the process. When my partner did practice setups once an ortho showed him how they made night guards and, I don't think he mentioned how long they spend making the models themselves, but it's just a tricked out 3D printer with a few cents worth of plastic. $500.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
That's why I get my dental care from the one profession you can trust: chiropractic medicine.

See, tooth decay is caused by blocked nerve signals in your neck and furthermore

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Someone clicked my back and my teeth healed themselves

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
Brother, could I interest you in a homeopathic remedy containing one-part-per-million plaque that gives you an immunity to tooth decay?

*spits in your mouth*

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

No, what you need is sugar that has been heavily diluted in water.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Zaphod42 posted:

Its one of those professions like car mechanic where most people don't know much about the service they're getting so its real easy for them to tack on extra stuff.

Yeah it's one of the perfect examples of a moral hazard

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixo0V6rNqi0

a lotta rear end in a top hat dentists inventing problems

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
I didn't even know that teeth had to be rotated every 30,000 bites :ohdear:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

That is absolutely how I would be if I was blind.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Everyone I know with a physical disability has a sense of humour about it, but they all also have standard transactional responses to poo poo like that because it happens like every time they go to a restaurant or whatever.

voiceless anal fricative has a new favorite as of 07:05 on Aug 29, 2018

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!
It should be worth noting that visual impairment isn't always 100% and even if you see a guy walk into a restaurant with a cane you should still hand him a menu and if he needs assistance or a braille menu he can ask for it.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Jerry Cotton posted:

also :lol: who the gently caress doesn't use Outlook calendar anyway in loving 2018 it's not tied to your loving phone :laffo:

I mean google calendar isn't tied to your phone either. People here said "you can sync it to your new phone", but it's not, y'know, stored on your phone. You can access it from your computer as well. I used google calendar long before android was a thing.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
When I was a kid we switched to a new dentist because they were in a better location and she claimed I had some ridiculous amount of cavities like 8 or 9. My mom was pissed at me for like a week telling me how much I was going to cost her and why couldn't I brush better etc. Then we went back to the first dentist and he said there was nothing wrong.

Anyway that blind kid story might be believable if it wasn't told in traditional tuMBLR STYLE WHERE THEY START TALKING IN ALL CAPS IN AN ATTEMPT TO MAKE IT FUNNIER.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

bike tory posted:

Has there ever been a "my kid said X" tweet that really happened?

Most of them seem plausible to me bc kids say insane random poo poo all the time

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Phosphine posted:

I mean google calendar isn't tied to your phone either. People here said "you can sync it to your new phone", but it's not, y'know, stored on your phone. You can access it from your computer as well. I used google calendar long before android was a thing.

Yes but the only way for it to be accessible offline on your phone is for that information stored on Googles computers to be synched to your phone so it synchs.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Phosphine posted:

Oh yeah I heard that Google has an Outlook Calendar too :mmmhmm:

(Same difference, anyway.)

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

jobson groeth posted:

Yes but the only way for it to be accessible offline on your phone is for that information stored on Googles computers to be synched to your phone so it synchs.

When is your phone ever "offline"? Is this 2010 or something?

jobson groeth
May 17, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

bike tory posted:

When is your phone ever "offline"? Is this 2010 or something?

:australia:

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

jobson groeth posted:

Yeah but someone acted like a calendar entry made five years ago being on your current phone was weird and/or unrealistic, while that would in fact be the default, regardless of your amount of phone-transitions.

Unless of course you use your phone wrong, like the people who go "new phone who dis" despite numbers being transferred between phones being a thing even before android (as contacts could be stored on your sim, if you didn't turn that off for no good reason)

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler
Good Lord please stop talking about calendars

It seems more ridiculous that anyone would actually make a "20 year plan" and set actual dates for milestones like "wedding." I think that type of life planning stuff is dumb anyway, like are you just going to settle with whoever you have because it's time to get married on your schedule? Or be depressed because you're behind schedule? Relationships should develop naturally not be forced into a certain time frame. I feel like this is more of a thing with women, mostly to do with the actual time limitations of having children with someone. It's pretty short sighted though.

hyperhazard
Dec 4, 2011

I am the one lascivious
With magic potion niveous

Dixville posted:

Good Lord please stop talking about calendars

It seems more ridiculous that anyone would actually make a "20 year plan" and set actual dates for milestones like "wedding."

So I had a funeral in my Calendar for this Saturday and I was very stressed out because I didn’t know whose it was and I was afraid I was going to miss it. Then I realized that it was part of my 60 year plan and I set it like 50 years ago. It’s my funeral, I’m missing my funeral.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

hyperhazard posted:

So I had a funeral in my Calendar for this Saturday and I was very stressed out because I didn’t know whose it was and I was afraid I was going to miss it. Then I realized that it was part of my 60 year plan and I set it like 50 years ago. It’s my funeral, I’m missing my funeral.

lol if you don't set that alert every workday

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Dixville posted:

like are you just going to settle with whoever you have because it's time to get married on your schedule?

I know a guy who got married because of some life plan bullshit. He would always talk about his marriage as being right on schedule. He's now divorced way ahead of schedule.

You'd be surprised how many people get married just because they feel like it's expected of them.

snack eater
Aug 25, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Oh god theres so many layers of pathetic and disgusting that I'm genuinely at a loss

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Danaru posted:

Oh god theres so many layers of pathetic and disgusting that I'm genuinely at a loss

Why? Was she shoplifting steak in her pants?

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Oh drat...

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?

I hope this person is just completely unaware of how that meme is supposed to be used.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Antivaxxers might be cheating, but I don't care.

rudecyrus
Nov 6, 2009

fuck you trolls

Haifisch posted:

Antivaxxers might be cheating, but I don't care.

And then my daughter died of measles.

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

rudecyrus posted:

And then my daughter died of measles whatever I took her to urgent care to be treated for, since I spent an hour babbling to the treating physician about vaccines.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

"Just wait a second honey I need to-

yes yes I know your arm hurts, we already established it's probably broken-

yes I heard you the first ten times, Dad just needs to-

no I'm not talking to the doctor about your arm, this is much more serious. Did you know this doctor has been using vaccines on KIDS?"

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Comptroll The Forums posted:

It should be worth noting that visual impairment isn't always 100% and even if you see a guy walk into a restaurant with a cane you should still hand him a menu and if he needs assistance or a braille menu he can ask for it.

Or you can just be like "here's your menu, would you like any further assistance"

"he can ask for it" jfc

Imagine just throwing a menu at a guy with a white cane or a seeing eye dog like "well it's not always 100% so he can just ask if he needs anything"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comptroll The Forums
Apr 25, 2007

DON'T HURT MY FEE FEES!

eating only apples posted:

Or you can just be like "here's your menu, would you like any further assistance"

"he can ask for it" jfc

Imagine just throwing a menu at a guy with a white cane or a seeing eye dog like "well it's not always 100% so he can just ask if he needs anything"

sorry I ignored your cane yesterday