Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
QL is great if I want to play freeze tag or 32 man DM on time maps, nothing else with a playable ping is ever populated anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

Mindblast posted:

Agreed.

Look at old pro tournament duel footage, when Q3 was only 2-3 years old - there's still some floating around on YT. Then log into Quake Live and spec some matches filled with veterans. Current veterans are better than the pro's used to be(and current pro's are even better. It's absurd). without something to ease in the newcomer experience, newbies have to face players with a skill level that was considered pro at some point in time. It's understandable that's a bit much, especially when other products on the market DO provide ways for players to break in.

I know it is considered normal for UT/Quake that, as a noob, you're going to have to go through the hazing/baptism by fire. But you can't expect of the current generation to accept that, or expect them to be at fault for not accepting that. Gaming has moved on, expectations have changed. Unless this is taken into account, the game will fail.

I'll take any excuse to post this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdkDjsBiO58

I don't know if I'd say abilities make the game more forgiving though. If anything they increase the skill/knowledge gap by introducing more mechanics into the game, some of which can be very frustrating. So while abilities can be a nice crutch for beginners to make up for their weaknesses I don't think it does a good job of solving the "baptism by fire" your talking about here.

At this point the pros are so far beyond anything I think I could accomplish in this game that I find myself just enjoying QC as the Rapha and Dahang show.

BattleHamster fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Aug 28, 2018

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

MysteriousStranger posted:

Logitech, steelseries, razer, zowie/benq are all sourcing omron switches for their buttons and pixart sensors for their mice. There are some differences (Steelseries is the most up to day in the 310/600 series now and Zowie/Benq is sitll out of date) but for the most part the only difference is the physical build, driver suite and warranty. All things which razer is famously bad at and steelseries/logitech are famously good at.

I've had like 3 razer mice die on me in less than a year. I'm never buying razer products again.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

i just like logitech stuff because if it breaks 5 years after you buy it they replace it, no questions asked, no receipt needed

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Remember when a guy lost Evo because his Razer fightstick died?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Longest Yard is on the public test server. I'm watching some streamers play it.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I just won my first DM. As Slash vs a whole buncha BJs :feelsgood:

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:

NonzeroCircle posted:

I just won my first DM. As Slash vs a whole buncha BJs :feelsgood:

hell yeah!

if Nyx didn't literally turn invisible i would probably just play Slash mostly. she is fast as gently caress and her plasma trail might be the most complex ability in the game? well, there's strogg too but i've played way to much Siege to care about temporary drones in Quake.

and when used properly creating a trail of tears in the middle of the chaos of full deatchmatch can be as annoying as the death knight's fire thing

she's also xXxtremely :krad: which mostly helps make ppl mad at videogames in a funny way

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Anyone else experiencing micro stutters? After my first match the game starts going to poo poo like the netcode is out of sync

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Housh posted:

netcode

aw now you done did it

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
In an earlier match today I got a quintuple beyond the grave because idiots kept running into the plasma trail, I thought the announcer had broken at first! Its astonishing how many people will try to barge through it.

I've never played a Quake til I picked this up at the weekend, closet thing before was TF2 I guess. I'm finding the crouch slide really really useful for skin-of-the-teeth escapes, and slowly getting to grips with jump on RMB.

I'm absolutely dogshit in ranked so far, utterly stomped in the first three matches, especially the one where my 'partner' quit out in the first minute, CSGO 'grit your teeth and plow on' kicked in. Gonna continue being a dirty casual til I've got to grips with the maps and twitchiness a bit.

The token noob question: what sens are y'all using?

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
dont play 2v2 with random pubs if you want your hair to remain safely ensconced in your scalp.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Yeah that was a lesson learned quickly.
One guy seemed to understand the concept of sticking together (or at least trying to), the others just shoot at you and run away, stealing all the health/armor pickups from under your nose.

On the whole, coming into this game with no preconceptions I'm enjoying it a lot for what it is

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

NonzeroCircle posted:

slowly getting to grips with jump on RMB.

Doing it old school! Nice!

Mouse sensitivity is a factor of your mouse dpi and windows settings so it doesn't compare directly.

There's two schools of thought; higher helps you pull sick 360 shots and react in a split second, but lower increases your accuracy.

Honestly do what feels good for you.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Can I set up some sort of twatty config like I have for CS where if I hold a key it will toggle the sensitivity up for as long as the key is held for panic 180s?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

NonzeroCircle posted:

Can I set up some sort of twatty config like I have for CS where if I hold a key it will toggle the sensitivity up for as long as the key is held for panic 180s?
Not with game binds but any gaming mouse software should be able to reproduce the effect by boosting your DPI.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Yeah, basically imo a Quake where I get killed by a Visor then he uses his ability and immediately kills me again while I'm getting a weapon but actually has queues that fire is better than no Quake at all.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

stop getting mad when you die in videogames

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
It's not really anger about death so much as fundamental problems with the design of the game

speaking of, why do death knight's fireballs have absolutely no damage falloff whatsoever
if you get caught anywhere in the splash you take the full damage

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

they already gave it falloff and halved the dot on pts

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
because its literally magic

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

ndub posted:

they already gave it falloff and halved the dot on pts
oh nice

I actually would have liked more dot less direct but no falloff is the big thing

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

yeah i feel that they overshot it and all they needed to do was add falloff with a minimum of 20 or 25 per fireball. there will be more iterations on it on the pts before release probably

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
another patch without anticheat lol

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Pomp posted:

another patch without anticheat lol

It has anticheat.

nerdrum
Aug 17, 2007

where am I

MJBuddy posted:

It has anticheat.

You're kidding, right? 90% of the "Compile your own aimbot" poo poo available on the internet works for QC along with 2-3 dedicated clients that are pretty easily found.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

MJBuddy posted:

It has anticheat.

They have fairfight but they don't do autobans, relying entirely on player reports. They don't have anticheat.

MJBuddy
Sep 22, 2008

Now I do not know whether I was then a head coach dreaming I was a Saints fan, or whether I am now a Saints fan, dreaming I am a head coach.

Pomp posted:

They have fairfight but they don't do autobans, relying entirely on player reports. They don't have anticheat.

It has an anticheat system. That's what fairfight is. If you play someone who looks like they're cheating, report them. People get banned.

Anticheat not being perfect isn't the same thing as not having anticheat.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
hey guys I wrapped my dick in saran wrap am i safe from aids

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Pomp posted:

hey guys I wrapped my dick in saran wrap am i safe from aids

yes, but you were safe before doing that too

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I was in a DM the other day where the winner spent the entire match firing his nailgun into the floor between getting repeated perfect kills with it, I guess to lower the accuracy to make the aimbot less obvious (to an anti cheat system?)? It's the first time I've seen obvious cheating in this game, but maybe I haven't been paying attention. some people are just really loving good at quake

d0s fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Aug 29, 2018

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

d0s posted:

I was in a DM the other day where the winner spent the entire match firing his nailgun into the floor between getting repeated perfect kills with it, I guess to lower the accuracy to make the aimbot less obvious (to an anti cheat system?)? It's the first time I've seen obvious cheating in this game, but maybe I haven't been paying attention. some people are just really loving good at quake

That doesn't actually matter to Fairfight though. FF will only flag them if they get nearly impossible kills on a consistent basis. It will ignore you if you just happen to naturally have really good kudurr and accuracy.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
I would really like a lobby option for DM that lets you choose between 4 player and 8 player. I love DM, but QC feels cramped compared to other Quakes. 4 players feels just perfect to me. 3v3 TDM would be nice too. God damnit, I miss server browsers.

Housh posted:

Anyone else experiencing micro stutters? After my first match the game starts going to poo poo like the netcode is out of sync

Turn off HRTF.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Turn off the ingame frame limiter too it you have it on. If you need frame limiting do it with your video card software or something.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

kaschei posted:

Not with game binds but any gaming mouse software should be able to reproduce the effect by boosting your DPI.

You can't go into the cfg/console and set two commands to a single button?

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

So...QC runs better on my computer when I am using high graphical settings instead of low. Is it just better optimized right now for the high spec? I also deleted the appdata folder which could have unfucked things.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Housh posted:

So...QC runs better on my computer when I am using high graphical settings instead of low. Is it just better optimized right now for the high spec? I also deleted the appdata folder which could have unfucked things.

Now I’m totally speaking out of my rear end but I think it’s because the game is CPU heavy? So maybe your graphics card is stronger and putting more load on that helps off load the stress on the CPU.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Mindblast posted:

You can't go into the console
full stop

Cfgs are kind of useless and I don't see keybinds anywhere... I wonder how they're stored.

There are some undocumented and limited things you can do with command line options but nothing to do with binds.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

That feels like a very unquake thing to do. Even if most players don't need it I liked being able to tweak so many little things to my liking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
Got nuked from a nearly full stack by the skeleton in Duel before I could land so much as a hit, respawned as ranger and insta-nuked them a few seconds later with my F.

good game :) :) :) :) :)