Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Retrowave Joe
Jul 20, 2001

I'd buy that too. Just seems like one of those "Mike voice" things nerds latch onto to justify making a fifteen minute long youtube video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Isn't Cap usually listed as not powered in the comics too? Like yeah serum and vita rays, but the end result was "exactly as good as a human could conceivably get to without superpowers and not one step further?"

So presumably the comics just have a really loose definition of enhanced.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

616 Cap depends on who's writing him, but Ultimate Cap was explicitly superhuman and the movies took a lot from that

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

He got his powers well after that. When Fury gave him a blood transfusion in Fear Itself.

Okay? That doesn't contradict what I said. At the time he was Captain America he had no powers.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009
MCU Bucky was enhanced at the prison camp when he was captured in the First Avenger, he just doesn't know it. His first replacement arm is clearly not vibranium as it's destroyed by Stark when Cap's shield holds up. His second arm? Perhaps that's vibranium.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i wouldnt be shocked if shuri refused to give bucky a vibranum arm

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

site posted:

i wouldnt be shocked if shuri refused to give bucky a vibranum arm

She seemed kind of into him tbh

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm not even sure what Wakandan tech even looks like if it wasn't made via vibranium. We've mostly only seen "impossible wonders made possible only by vibranium," "African antiques," and "impossible wonders made to look like African antiques."

I mean, I presume they have a few modern-style manufacturing methods available if only to keep up their second-world pretense; it just doesn't really seem like they'd have a lot of plans lying around for "awesome metal arm for a superhero, but not made out of our magic miracle metal that's just for us."

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i mean, it took shuri ten seconds to know how to build a superior version of vision, im sure she could figure it out

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

site posted:

i mean, it took shuri ten seconds to know how to build a superior version of vision, im sure she could figure it out

Yeah, I guess there's no point in trying to apply tech trees to Shuri.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Rand Brittain posted:

I'm not even sure what Wakandan tech even looks like if it wasn't made via vibranium. We've mostly only seen "impossible wonders made possible only by vibranium," "African antiques," and "impossible wonders made to look like African antiques."

I mean, I presume they have a few modern-style manufacturing methods available if only to keep up their second-world pretense; it just doesn't really seem like they'd have a lot of plans lying around for "awesome metal arm for a superhero, but not made out of our magic miracle metal that's just for us."
I assume she could just replicate the old one, possibly cleaned up and with a better grade of interior parts. There is no reason to give the colonizer a sound laser if he doesn't need one to live.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

Nessus posted:

I assume she could just replicate the old one, possibly cleaned up and with a better grade of interior parts. There is no reason to give the colonizer a sound laser if he doesn't need one to live.

Yeah, my question was more "do they even have advanced tech that isn't made with vibranium, because why would they work on non-vibranium tech trees when vibranium seems to make everything better."

And the answer is "yes, because those kinds of concerns don't apply when you're a superhero working in a (highly-advanced laboratory built into a) cave with a bunch of scraps (of highly-advanced technology)."

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

site posted:

One of the things I will be very surprised if it isn't in Avengers 4 is White Vision, with Shuri rebuilding Vision from his remains.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I can't see Shuri making a super metal arm that isn't made of Vibranium. What even would be the point in that?

Endless Mike posted:

Movie Hawkeye sucks, though.

You suck :colbert:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

SonicRulez posted:

I can't see Shuri making a super metal arm that isn't made of Vibranium. What even would be the point in that?
Showing off?

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
Comic Book Cap was explicitly "peak human," but what humans are capable of is ludicrously exaggerated in comics. See: half of what Batman does, or old school Kingpin one-hand tossing desks and poo poo.

There was even a dude in the Avengers Initiative training camp series or whatever that was Captain America level in terms of physical ability (not the training or experience, obviously), but via a diet and exercise regimen formulated by the guy that developed the original serum. It was an alternate route to achieving the same thing, it just took more work.

Bucky's enhanced now, as of some time during Fear Itself, but did a bunch of a goofy poo poo long before then and who knows if any writers even remember him getting enhanced.

Movie Cap, physically, seems to lean more toward Ultimate Cap who as someone pointed out IS legitimately superhuman. I lurk on dumb comics debate forums a lot, and general consensus seems to be that Movie Cap is tougher/faster/stronger than 616 Cap but not as potent as Ultimate. Mileage (and writers) may vary.

It was definitely implied that Movie Bucky's been altered by experiments, but I don't think they ever really spelled out if he's superhuman outside the robot arm, or if he's just on some really good protein.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

twistedmentat posted:

One of the things I will be very surprised if it isn't in Avengers 4 is White Vision, with Shuri rebuilding Vision from his remains.

I'm willing to bet that Vision shows up as a ghost person who is stuck inside the Mind Stone and helps take control of the Gauntlet when Thanos is distracted. You know, like Adam Warlock in the original Infinity Gauntlet.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Captain America took some steroids and became better than everyone else

Conclusion: take steroids

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Movie Captain America stopped a helicopter from taking off with his bare hands and frequently jumps out of planes and jets without a parachute. He's literally on a different level than comic Cap.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

X-O posted:

Movie Captain America stopped a helicopter from taking off with his bare hands and frequently jumps out of planes and jets without a parachute. He's literally on a different level than comic Cap.

And if Bucky can go toe to toe with him it stands to reason he's also been enhanced, like how is this even a point of contention

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
They started ramping comic Cap up post 9/11 during the JRN run. He jumps out of a plane without a parachute and leaves deep footprints when he lands. And Brubaker made a point to emphasis the "super" part of super-soldier.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

This is true, but comic book Cap still isn't stopping helicopters with his bare hands.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Zzulu posted:

Whoa whoa whoa, he also got into a tanning booth.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

X-O posted:

This is true, but comic book Cap still isn't stopping helicopters with his bare hands.

I feel like post MCU Cap has to have done something on that level.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Zzulu posted:

I learnt this from Roger Ramjet decades ago.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Zzulu posted:

It has to be the right steroids, otherwise it turns you evil

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Marvel has a silly thing where keywords like Enhanced and Powered and Super Powered etc. mean specific thresholds, so while Cap is well above what any normal human can reach overall he's not actually Super Powered because he doesn't break the barrier in any individual category.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

X-O posted:

Back during Dan Jurgen's run on Cap, he stopped an ICBM with a shield toss. Okay it had only just been launched and wasn't in orbit, but still he took it out with one toss of his shield.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

The Question IRL posted:

Back during Dan Jurgen's run on Cap, he stopped an ICBM with a shield toss. Okay it had only just been launched and wasn't in orbit, but still he took it out with one toss of his shield.

His shield is magic metal.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Whatever Cap does is justified because Cap can do anything, imo.

I mean, one-stone Thanos whales on Hulk, totally dominates him and Cap puts up enough of a resistance to Thanos to make him go hmmmmm

In watching the three Captain America movies over the last couple of weeks, I noticed how the drama is either incited by or entirely based around Cap defying traditional authority.

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Aug 29, 2018

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

X-O posted:

It's not that hard, you should lift some weights and unlock your true potential.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

My personal feeling is that Cap is about as powerful as Jason, the Red Ranger, while Bucky is about as powerful as Rocky, the red ranger.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Zachack posted:

It's not that hard, you should lift some weights and unlock your true potential.

Sgt. Politeness
Sep 29, 2003

I've seen shit you people wouldn't believe. Cop cars on fire off the shoulder of I-94. I watched search lights glitter in the dark near the Ambassador Bridge. All those moments will be lost in time, like piss in the drain. Time to retch.

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

My personal feeling is that Cap is about as powerful as Jason, the Red Ranger, while Bucky is about as powerful as Rocky, the red ranger.

Ouch

In the movies they straight up say Bucky is enhanced/experimented on but they go out of their way to only show feats of super strength with his robot arm. They probably (wisely) realized if he wasn't a little supped up that robot arm would just rip out of the socket every time he tried to lift/push/etc but wanted to keep him just under Cap otherwise.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Zachack posted:

When I go to the gym, I like to think that I'm training like Cap and Batman.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
At the rate technology is moving forward, I figure my chances of being radiated or getting a super suit go up way faster than it'll take me to look like Chris Evans.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I've never really confirmed this but in Incredible Hulk, wasn't Blonsky's "phase 1" transformation (the fight in the park) supposed to be a cheap knock off of the super soldier serum?

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah I think it was stored in a tank with the same project name or something.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Kingtheninja posted:

Yeah I think it was stored in a tank with the same project name or something.

And Avengers notes that Banner's research into gamma radiation was trying to identify and replicate the vita-rays part of the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pubic works project posted:

When I go to the gym, I like to think that I'm training like Cap and Batman.

I actually do the Stephen Amell "Arrow" routine. But at about 25% of the weight.

• Locked thread