Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

boop the snoot posted:

Someone in cspam made this for me just now

:ck5::ck5::ck5::ck5::ck5:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Fallom posted:

Lmao the GOP FOIA’d the USPS and got an unredacted SF86 of a Democratic politician. Whoever managed that request ought to get loving crucified.

https://t.co/3TVUmmiILX

That is a bit horrible. Just think what could have happened if they were Chinese.

Oh wait, they already have all of that.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Wapo reporting Trump ready to fire sessions

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

psydude posted:

yo you guys have gotta try this triple hopped pumpkin imperial IPA

no im pretty sure that's the worst thing ive ever heard of

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Nostalgia4Butts posted:

Wapo reporting Trump ready to fire sessions

They've been edging us on that for months. What's different this time?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Fallom posted:

They've been edging us on that for months. What's different this time?

Manafort might turn now that his balls are in a vise.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009

shame on an IGA posted:

Hey so the return of catholic institutionalized abuse to the spotlight has also brought some attention back to the buried 100+ year history of nuns straight up murking orphans.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/christinekenneally/orphanage-death-catholic-abuse-nuns-st-josephs

ayy lmao when ICE is abolished they're all gonna join the Catholic Church

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If he's going to do it he might as well do it while Ryan is still in office so we can all beat him over the head with his assertion that it wasn't a legitimate concern. Or just watch footage of him trying to run away from hard questions.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Casimir Radon posted:

If he's going to do it he might as well do it while Ryan is still in office so we can all beat him over the head with his assertion that it wasn't a legitimate concern. Or just watch footage of him trying to run away from hard questions.

"I really don't care, do u?" embroidered on the back of his suit jacket level of dodging questions.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Suicide Watch posted:

ayy lmao when ICE is abolished they're all gonna join the Catholic Church

Pfft lmao they'll never be abolished.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Zeroisanumber posted:

Manafort might turn now that his balls are in a vise.

A bit late for that now, since he's already facing an effective life sentence; another 20 years isn't going to make a bit of difference. Also, I thought the Mueller team basically gave him the finger?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
So there were some primaries last night

Check what just happened
http://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/404097-andrew-gillum-wins-florida-democratic-gubernatorial-race-in-stunning-upset

quote:

Tallahassee Mayor Andrew Gillum, a progressive aligned with Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.), pulled off a stunning win in Florida's Democratic gubernatorial primary on Tuesday, edging out former Rep. Gwen Graham (D-Fla.).

Gillum won the primary with 34 percent of the vote, the Associated Press projected with 87 percent of precincts reporting. Graham, the daughter of former Sen. Bob Graham (D-Fla.), won 32 percent of the vote.

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/1034601450029113350

Urzza
Sep 8, 2007
Rippen off MTG since 2002

EBB posted:

Reading how Trump's handlers hypothetically work with him in the 2020 Commission is frightening.

I just read that book today. Who ever recommended it, thanks. It was a great read.

Terrifying Effigies
Oct 22, 2008

Problems look mighty small from 150 miles up.

Fallom posted:

Lmao the GOP FOIA’d the USPS and got an unredacted SF86 of a Democratic politician. Whoever managed that request ought to get loving crucified.

https://t.co/3TVUmmiILX

Sounds pretty suspicious that a GOP PAC would just happen to get her SF86 on a USPS FOIA request :thunk:

Gillum win is good, every time the centrist wing thinks they've *finally* got the Left back in the hole there's another sign that the Left isn't going away.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp

Urzza posted:

I just read that book today. Who ever recommended it, thanks. It was a great read.

It feels Extremely Plausible the whole way through, which is honestly the scariest thing about it.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
https://twitter.com/hellofasandwich/status/1034637481935872000

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
In case national media haven't picked it up over the pond yet, a Syrian and Iraqi immigrant/refugee (not entirely sure on this one) attacked and killed some German dude in the insufferable east-German shithole beautiful city of Chemnitz on Saturday. By Sunday, a candlelight vigil for the victim attracted Neonazis that started hemorrhaging their usual bullshit, but - more disturbingly - a demonstration scheduled for Monday turned out several thousand people a large part of which didn't appear to be card-carrying Neonazi-shitheads, but just "concerned citizens". That protest turned violent, with several hundred Faschos running through the city assaulting people that appeared to them as "non-Germans".

Police had massively underestimated the turnout of the Neonazis and appeared helpless to contain them.

To make things worse, yesterday, the arrest warrant for one of the initial murder suspects was leaked to Neonazi- concerned-citizen group "Pro-Chemnitz" that published it online to fan the flames, and now there's another large demonstration scheduled for Thursday. :cripes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD0UPDlBcW0

Bonus stupidity:
The Neonazis chose to demonstrate around a giant gently caress-off statue of Karl Marx on Monday

Marx wept

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Aug 29, 2018

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Duzzy Funlop posted:

In case national media haven't picked it up over the pond yet, a Syrian and Iraqi immigrant/refugee (not entirely sure on this one) attacked and killed some German dude in the insufferable east-German shithole beautiful city of Chemnitz on Saturday. By Sunday, a candlelight vigil for the victim attracted Neonazis that started hemorrhaging their usual bullshit, but - more disturbingly - a demonstration scheduled for Monday turned out several thousand people a large part of which didn't appear to be card-carrying Neonazi-shitheads, but just "concerned citizens". That protest turned violent, with several hundred Faschos running through the city assaulting people that appeared to them as "non-Germans".

Police had massively underestimated the turnout of the Neonazis and appeared helpless to contain them.

To make things worse, yesterday, the arrest warrant for one of the initial murder suspects was leaked to Neonazi- concerned-citizen group "Pro-Chemnitz" that published it online to fan the flames, and now there's another large demonstration scheduled for Thursday. :cripes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rD0UPDlBcW0

Bonus stupidity:
The Neonazis chose to demonstrate around a giant gently caress-off statue of Karl Marx on Monday

Marx wept

holy gently caress that's a lot of people

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

As someone who works in the general field, this is kind of a big deal and a huge huge dick move.

https://twitter.com/SamanthaJPower/status/1034448695348133888

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

holy gently caress that's a lot of people

the lights are going out all over Europe and we shall not see them lit again in our lifetime

*cracks knuckles gets flamethrower*

let's light some lamps bitches

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

Echoing the sentiment that Jeffrey Lewis's book is excellent. It read a lot like Graham Allison's Essence of Decision about the Cuban missile crisis.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this is why you beat the poo poo out of neo-nazis while theyre still a joke

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Its scary to think what the US reaction would be if faced with a refugee crisis on the scale of a lot of European countries. I lack confidence that we’d be even a tiny bit better!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Smiling Jack posted:

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

mlmp08 posted:

Its scary to think what the US reaction would be if faced with a refugee crisis on the scale of a lot of European countries. I lack confidence that we’d be even a tiny bit better!

I'm somewhat confident that the US would be much, much worse. As it is, this happened in a shithole place that had something around 35% of voters supporting the AfD, Germany's totally-not-racist party that almost literally had died into nonexistence and irrelevance when they were "saved" by the refugee crisis giving them a single issue to mobilize voters on.

And numbers-wise, this is still a fairly small demonstration (albeit intermixed with shithead "concerned citizens"), and this is in a country of 80 million people that has taken in something around 200.000 refugees per year.

The USA are a country of 300 million people that accepts less than 50.000 (?) refugees per year (with the craziest screening structure on the planet in place, no less), and recently elected a decorative hate-squash who thinks people in Nazi demonstrations are very fine people, and made it okay again for the racists to come out of their holes.

If y'all took in even half the number Germany currently does, poo poo'd be on fire, yo. To be on par per capita with Germany, the US would have to take in 700.000 refugees per year. Dwell on that and picture the GOP/Trump's reaction to that for one second.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm somewhat confident that the US would be much, much worse.

Same.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i fuckin wish the us was the kind of country that would take in 700k refugees annually

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
Boy it's gonna be a real hoot when climate instability makes entire countries straight up unliveable and the real refugee crises start up.

DKD
Dec 25, 2011

Smiling Jack posted:

the lights are going out all over Europe and we shall not see them lit again in our lifetime

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

bird food bathtub posted:

Boy it's gonna be a real hoot when climate instability makes entire countries straight up unliveable and the real refugee crises start up.

On the downside, massive refugee crises are gonna pop up.

On the upside, we're gonna get some wicked sick 4K resolution nuclear explosions on YouTube.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Let's get someone working on one of those Children of Men diseases that makes people infertile. We can save the earth and kill ourselves off. Nukes will only get so many of us.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

That image keeps making me giggle because of the old geezer whom seems to be explosively pissing a flower.

Then I remember what followed that very scene and how sentencing went, and I get pissed off that a white supremacist yelling "HEY friend of the family" before shooting into a crowd was only convicted of discharging a firearm within 1000ft of a school or something.

I mean, logically, I can somewhat understand the prosecutor's motivation, but it still pisses me off that he had to go for that because a jury of peers might have easily acquitted a guy that yelled "HEY friend of the family" before shooting into a loving crowd, and that somehow is the reality in the US judicial system.

dscruffy1
Nov 22, 2007

Look out!
Nap Ghost

Duzzy Funlop posted:

That image keeps making me giggle because of the old geezer whom seems to be explosively pissing a flower.

Then I remember what followed that very scene and how sentencing went, and I get pissed off that a white supremacist yelling "HEY friend of the family" before shooting into a crowd was only convicted of discharging a firearm within 1000ft of a school or something.

I mean, logically, I can somewhat understand the prosecutor's motivation, but it still pisses me off that he had to go for that because a jury of peers might have easily acquitted a guy that yelled "HEY friend of the family" before shooting into a loving crowd, and that somehow is the reality in the US judicial system.

If I remember from the video correctly, the guy who shouted tried to fire at the guy first but the safety or something was on. Given the time to remember to remove the safety, he also remembered "maybe I shouldn't shoot this black person on camera" and fired into the ground.

I also vaguely recall the old guy being with those two because he was scared and they said they'd protect him.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
That’s exactly why he’s there and also why the black guy with the flaming can didn’t get convicted of anything. I think he was arrested but not charged.

DKD
Dec 25, 2011
lol found this when I was looking for that picture:

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2018/08/every-day-is-august-12-in-charlottesville/567176/

quote:

Since Charlottesville, Long has been a prime target of criticism among white nationalists and leaders associated with their movement. Among the most vocal is Jason Kessler, the organizer of the “Unite the Right” rally. “That son of a bitch fired a flamethrower into a crowd of people and got off with a slap on the wrist,” Kessler wrote in an email. He added: “If I fired a flamethrower at a crowd of liberals, I would be in prison for the rest of my life. Corey Long is making a living out of it.”

I told Long about the exchange and he brushed it off. “I don’t like Jason Kessler and I don’t respect him,” Long said. “He believes in something and I believe in something. But hey, gently caress him.”

Mr. Nice! posted:

That’s exactly why he’s there and also why the black guy with the flaming can didn’t get convicted of anything. I think he was arrested but not charged.

He did 20 days in prison, sadly.

Crakkerjakk
Mar 14, 2016

Tollymain posted:

i fuckin wish the us was the kind of country that would take in 700k refugees annually

Word.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

boop the snoot posted:

Someone in cspam made this for me just now

Phenomenal.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I'm somewhat confident that the US would be much, much worse. As it is, this happened in a shithole place that had something around 35% of voters supporting the AfD, Germany's totally-not-racist party that almost literally had died into nonexistence and irrelevance when they were "saved" by the refugee crisis giving them a single issue to mobilize voters on.

And numbers-wise, this is still a fairly small demonstration (albeit intermixed with shithead "concerned citizens"), and this is in a country of 80 million people that has taken in something around 200.000 refugees per year.

The USA are a country of 300 million people that accepts less than 50.000 (?) refugees per year (with the craziest screening structure on the planet in place, no less), and recently elected a decorative hate-squash who thinks people in Nazi demonstrations are very fine people, and made it okay again for the racists to come out of their holes.

If y'all took in even half the number Germany currently does, poo poo'd be on fire, yo. To be on par per capita with Germany, the US would have to take in 700.000 refugees per year. Dwell on that and picture the GOP/Trump's reaction to that for one second.

Just imagining driving around back home and seeing the bumper stickers of "God is Love", "Jesus Saves", "ISIS hunting permit", "Support our Troops" and the new "Go back to Mexico" ones popping up.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

dscruffy1 posted:

If I remember from the video correctly, the guy who shouted tried to fire at the guy first but the safety or something was on. Given the time to remember to remove the safety, he also remembered "maybe I shouldn't shoot this black person on camera" and fired into the ground.

I also vaguely recall the old guy being with those two because he was scared and they said they'd protect him.

I'll look at the video again, but I distinctly remember the guy not at all aiming his weapon anywhere near the ground, nor at the sky, so I can't possibly fathom a "tried to scare him off defense" that would be based on "he tried to shoot really close to the guy, but definitely didn't try to hit him"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

That Works posted:

Just imagining driving around back home and seeing the bumper stickers of "God is Love", "Jesus Saves", "ISIS hunting permit", "Support our Troops" and the new "Go back to Mexico" ones popping up.

You left off "All lives matter".

• Locked thread