Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Ok kids, I (finally) got around to setting this season's matchups. As always, I figured it out using the spreadsheet first (2018 Schedule tab) and then transferred that to MFL. I would appreciate you double-checking your schedule (schedule page) to make sure everything is set up right.

-You should have a match every week, weeks 1 through 13
-You should play each of your three division rivals twice
-Your division rivals should be played weeks 1, 4, 7, 9, 11, and 13
-You should never play the same division rival two of those weeks in a row. Instead, each rival should be played on weeks 1 and 9, or 4 and 11, or 7 and 13
-The two weeks in which you play any given divisional rival should be different from the two weeks you played them in 2017 or 2016, but the same as the two weeks you played them in 2015 (we are on year four of a three-year cycle)
-You should play seven of the eight other teams in the league, once each
-The team you don't play should be different from the teams you didn't play in any previous year. (The team you don't play should be set on a 8-year cycle, and we are in year 4.)

I don't expect you to check previous years to make sure I got those things right, I'm just filling you all in on the hosed-up game of sudoko I have to re-figure-out every year. I'm pretty sure in year 8 I'm going to quit the league halfway through the process, lol. Actually this year it only took me about 45 minutes to figure it out and then get the schedule input, not too shabby

Note that MFL has a concept of "home" and "away" for the matchups, but that's meaningless in our league so I did not use any particular pattern in entering home vs. away for the matchups; so you probably have more aways than homes, or more homes than aways, just randomly... and that's OK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Zack
Jan 1, 2005

Pillbug
Looks good to me

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Sounds like Alshon Jeffery is going to miss at least week 1, and Agholor has been sat out of the Eagles' last 5 practices, with them hoping he'll be ready. Mack Hollins is next on the depth chart, who's interested?

therealVECNAmfers
Aug 24, 2016

Undead Overlard
it appears to be correct

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

We gotta figure out a nomination order for the auction draft

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
best improvement in wins from previous season :madmax:

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Gosh, I'm blushing.

What about just the same order as the draft?

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Teemu Pokemon posted:

I don’t mean to bring other league stuff into this thread but Teemo, I need to know if you’re coming back to the All IDP league this year. Message me!

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
In the draft room tab I set up an Auction link since it's different than the draft room. It's also found in For Owner->Live Auction Room

30th at 9pm is when it's scheduled, but when I click the link it says no auction has been scheduled so :shrug: It's on the league calendar.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Given that Auction is a different event type from Draft, maybe MFL doesn't treat it like a draft for purposes of linking to it, using the Draft tab, etc.

Also, we probably want to cancel the currently scheduled blind bid waiver event occurring 1 day before the auction.

e. aaand I see the auction link, but there's clearly a league setup thing we need to do too.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Aug 21, 2018

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I changed it to auction in the general league setup section.

Guess I will take a look at the MFL manual to figure the rest out.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

I changed it to auction in the general league setup section.

Guess I will take a look at the MFL manual to figure the rest out.

Yeah. I still have this small worry that the league can't handle two "startup" draft/auctions in the same year, in which case we may have to run our auction on a third-party app.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

Leperflesh posted:

Yeah. I still have this small worry that the league can't handle two "startup" draft/auctions in the same year, in which case we may have to run our auction on a third-party app.

One of my leagues runs 3. Auction just needs to be run through the auction system and not as an actual draft.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I'm definitely gonna miss at least the first 15 minutes of the auction draft. I think I'll survive.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Stevie Lee posted:

I'm definitely gonna miss at least the first 15 minutes of the auction draft. I think I'll survive.

Provided it starts on time it'll take like 20 minutes.

I should look into the nomination process... How many can be nominated at once and all that.

1:45 on the clock to make a nomination.

35 seconds without another bid before a player is won.

That should do it right?

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 28, 2018

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

Provided it starts on time it'll take like 20 minutes.

I should look into the nomination process... How many can be nominated at once and all that.

1:45 on the clock to make a nomination.

35 seconds without another bid before a player is won.

That should do it right?

That sounds OK to me. We can pause if there's any issues.

Thins look OK for me to be home around 4pm or so my time (7pm eastern), what time are we starting the auction again? IIRC we have to be done by a certain time to suit someone else's schedule.

And are we allowed to drop anyone before the auction? I think it's no, right?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Before the auction is OK to drop. People complained when I mentioned not to, so... You can't drop during is the only thing. The auction cant add those people back into the draft without creating a second auction.

Auction kicks off at 9pm EST. I dont think it'll email, it will just let whoever is first nominate. Nomination order is the order of the draft, had to enter a custom order so that's what I did.

Edit: The custom nomination order is the draft order. It is not the traded picks order if that makes sense. For instance: Concords picks 5th, since he would have been 5th in the draft but traded his pick to Long Island.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Aug 29, 2018

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Ugh, that's lovely. No way to tell if I want to drop a player for space without knowing who I win in the auction.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Zauper posted:

Ugh, that's lovely. No way to tell if I want to drop a player for space without knowing who I win in the auction.

Well yah that's the gamble. Or drop them now and then if you miss on the others you want to win in the auction, just nominate them again.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
But it shouldn't be a gamble.

If FA is first, then you don't have to drop rookies and/or vets to gamble on FA auction.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Alfalfa posted:

Well yah that's the gamble. Or drop them now and then if you miss on the others you want to win in the auction, just nominate them again.

Or you could just drop them during the auction.

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001

Spermy Smurf posted:

The FA draft is Thursday, August 30th at 9pm EST, 6pm west coasty time.

Right?

Why is the home page telling me our draft will start shortly, and has been since mid-day if it is actually tomorrow? Just MFL being overly sure everyone knows a draft is upcoming?

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

My kickball team advanced in the playoffs so I am unable to draft but I will send a surrogate in my place. What's the direct link to the draft room (if it exists yet) so I can link him to it directly so he doesn't need to fumble around in MFL for an hour

my kickball team is terrible this wasn't supposed to happen

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Chen Kenichi posted:

Why is the home page telling me our draft will start shortly, and has been since mid-day if it is actually tomorrow? Just MFL being overly sure everyone knows a draft is upcoming?

I thought that was a commish only thing.

Its telling everyone to view the help which is actually really well put together for commish. For the rest it's just nominate and click "bid up $1"

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001

Spermy Smurf posted:

I thought that was a commish only thing.

Its telling everyone to view the help which is actually really well put together for commish. For the rest it's just nominate and click "bid up $1"

I was about to head out until I saw that and didn't want to miss the auction if it was today for some weird change I missed. Considering last year's rookie draft I need to make sure I am at all these going forward so I can 'catch up.'

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Teemu Pokemon posted:

My kickball team advanced in the playoffs so I am unable to draft but I will send a surrogate in my place. What's the direct link to the draft room (if it exists yet) so I can link him to it directly so he doesn't need to fumble around in MFL for an hour

Right click and copy the link of the auction logo in the DRAFT ROOM page.

Does that make sense? Mobile now but can PM you it tomorrow morn.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Zauper posted:

Or you could just drop them during the auction.

The problem with this is that the free agent auction gives every owner full, equal chance at all the free agents of the summer/preseason. If you can drop a FA during the auction you can wait till the owner(s) who want your dude the most have blown a bunch of their budget, and then drop a star player and rebid on them at a lower price with fewer other bidders to compete against.

We do not want the players you choose not to keep into the regular season being also not available to everyone in the FA draft. Otherwise, why have an FA auction?

Basically, everyone should be on an even footing in terms of deciding who they want, and how much they feel they can afford to pay, from the outset. Not having that be a moving target during the auction where each owner has to guess whether any other owner might drop a guy later in the auction that they'd want to bid on.

But *also* MFL does not add players you drop during the auction, to the auction. So if you wait till the FA auction to drop a player, you're hiding them entirely from the league auction, and we don't want that either.

Chen Kenichi posted:

I think it's this. "Shortly" is a dumb message but I think it just means it's tomorrow.

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Make sure your surrogate has your login credentials for MFL.

Spermy Smurf posted:

But it shouldn't be a gamble.

If FA is first, then you don't have to drop rookies and/or vets to gamble on FA auction.

Instead you have to drop vets to gamble on the rookie draft, yes let's hash this out again some more for another goddamn time

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
See you all at the draft tonight!

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Aug 30, 2018

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

How is dropping a player mid auction any different from a 'but people have spent money' standpoint than dropping someone and adding in the first waiver round after? It's really not.

And if you drop them, they're available for anyone? So saying they aren't available seems silly.

Technical issues are more of a thing, but you could nom a placeholder (like a kicker) instead and use comments to make it clear who it is, for Commish cleanup after.

If I were an NFL team and said I'd like to improve at LB, but can't pay more than I am now, I could sign someone and then cut a player. It's no different from how that FA process works.

Zauper fucked around with this message at 11:21 on Aug 30, 2018

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

The problem with this is that the free agent auction gives every owner full, equal chance at all the free agents of the summer/preseason. If you can drop a FA during the auction you can wait till the owner(s) who want your dude the most have blown a bunch of their budget, and then drop a star player and rebid on them at a lower price with fewer other bidders to compete against.

100% this I don't even know why there's an argument. The possibility of gaming this loophole is so insane to me that anyone would want to leave it as an option

Zauper posted:

How is dropping a player mid auction any different from a 'but people have spent money' standpoint than dropping someone and adding in the first waiver round after? It's really not.

Unless I'm miataken, every single fantasy league I've ever been in doesn’t allow the dropping owner to make a waiver claim on a dropped player. So in this scenario, if you drop a good player with a big salary in an attempt to scoop him back up for a cheaper hit, you will lose him because someone else will claim him. There's already a check built into the waiver system that wouldn't be there in a draft.

e: also worth noting that an owner having the possibility of having a floating budget during an auction draft is incredibly unfair and the only way to even remotely neutralize that would be to eliminate a nomination system and just have every player come up based on a predetermined order (proj points/rank/whatever) because half of an auction is figuring out when to nominate certain guys and if I wait to nominate someone until I have x dollars while everyone else has a certain amount or players at that position, I'm doing so to increase my odds of winning. What's even the point if someone can just manufacture a budget?

Teemu Pokemon fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Aug 30, 2018

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Unless I'm miataken, every single fantasy league I've ever been in doesn’t allow the dropping owner to make a waiver claim on a dropped player. So in this scenario, if you drop a good player with a big salary in an attempt to scoop him back up for a cheaper hit, you will lose him because someone else will claim him. There's already a check built into the waiver system that wouldn't be there in a draft.

e: also worth noting that an owner having the possibility of having a floating budget during an auction draft is incredibly unfair and the only way to even remotely neutralize that would be to eliminate a nomination system and just have every player come up based on a predetermined order (proj points/rank/whatever) because half of an auction is figuring out when to nominate certain guys and if I wait to nominate someone until I have x dollars while everyone else has a certain amount or players at that position, I'm doing so to increase my odds of winning. What's even the point if someone can just manufacture a budget?

To the first - we explicitly allow it, and people have done it previously. Worth mentioning that FAAB isn't waiver, so you're still outbidding anyone on the player. But look at the bids on OBJ last season after he was dropped.

To the second - everyone is limited by their $100 annual FAAB budget.

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Can this just be tabled until January? No point in arguing over it again right now.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Alfalfa posted:

Can this just be tabled until January? No point in arguing over it again right now.

No rule was actually announced preventing dropping during the FA auction, and it would have been a change from last year (which was just a conditional waiver process). Some commish (leper?) has suggested that the rules say we shouldn't be able to drop in the lead up to the auction, but people have been actively dropping. I was under the impression that we were allowed to drop during the auction up until a commish made a comment the other way here.

So...

I'd say there's no clarity around the current rules.

Zauper fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Aug 30, 2018

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Hi guys. I just got home from travel, sorry I haven't been able to respond quickly.

First: we have a rule for waivers, if you drop a player they are locked for 24 hours, that has been the rule for a while. So you cannot drop a player just before the FAAB waivers and then grab them before anyone else realizes they're available to be grabbed. We did that explicitly to prevent the salary-cutting exploit. If you drop a star, everyone will find out and have time to enter a bid before you can grab him, yourself included, so you will have to pay at least fair market price for that star.

Second: an auction draft is not the same thing as a waiver FAAB period. Waivers are blind bids. Auctions are live, public bids. The consequence is real: in a blind bidding scenario, you typically have to overbid to ensure you get the player; in a live auction you need never bid more than $1 over the next-highest bidder. The result is that FAAB players typically cost more than auctioned players. This assumes all owners are bothering to pay attention of course, but we sort of can't control for that.

So if you wait till midway through the auction and drop a player, they are likely to cost other owners more to attempt to own.

Third: if we do not allow mid-auction drops, then any owner can, right now, count how many open roster slots there are in the league, and presume when most of them are filled that they are bidding against fewer remaining owners on any given player. Granted trades are possible, and you can draft someone straight to your IR, it's still a known quantity that may affect nomination and bidding strategy. But if you can clear roster space midway through the draft (Not just via trade, but make new empty roster slots within the whole league) then that strategy falls away. All rosters could be full and someone could drop a guy and then nominate a player and get them for $1 unless someone else drops a player within the next 30 seconds.

Is that fair? I dunno, it feels to me like there's an exploit there. I would love to hear from the other commissioners on it.

As for the rules: this is the first time we've done an auction since the start-up auction for the league, and we simply did not codify a rule here. That's our error and I apologize. The commissioners had extended conversations online to hash out stuff and then we tried to capture what we'd hashed out in the formal rules, but that was an imperfect process and we also weren't certain exactly what MFL supported or allowed either.

I'll be frank. I asked about dropping players because nobody had dropped any players, and I have been considering dropping a particular player to free up one more slot before the auction. It was going to be hard to look up our rules on my phone, I have had very little spare time free the last three days, so I hoped someone would remember whether we had a rule or not.

If we agree as a league that dropping players during the auction is not a big exploit then I'm fine with it (and may exploit that myself as described above). Understanding that MFL has no support for that player being immediately available in the auction, so it means you can effectively keep an offseason free agent from ever being exposed to the auction by doing this one thing, and there being no other way to do that (assuming we don't allow drops between the FA auction and the opening game of the season!), and realizing that it means you have to treat every nominated player as potentially bid on by every other owner in the league regardless of whether their roster is full or not.

But again, while it feels kinda exploitable to me, I can't quite decide if it'd be a huge problem, so... we can try to hash it out in the next two hours but that's really late and most likely most owners will not be here to participate in the discussion, so that's not really fair.

Teemu, Spermy, this is one of those situations where there's not really time to poll the league. We need a consensus on a rules question and we need it pronto. Please weigh in as soon as you can.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Aug 30, 2018

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spermy, just caught something. MFL was set to require everyone to fill every remaining roster slot with a player. I'm turning it off.

Guys, this is why the "max" column exists in the auction room: it assumes if you have (say) 3 open slots, you can't bid more than $98 on a player, because you have to have $1 to spare for the remaining two slots.

We have no such rule and you can bid $100. But nobody is bidding $100 on anything (nobody has that much cap space) so it's fine.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 30, 2018

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I vote no dropping during the draft. Waivers give everyone 24hrs minimum to figure out roster changes. Dropping during the draft could only give someone 90 seconds to figure out their roster situation.

Room for exploit is what I was worried about initially but more I think about it the more I think it's a timing issue for me personally. I could miss the entire thing if I am dicking around to fix someone's roster as commish. I would burn it to the ground if that happened.

Drop Antonio Brown at 75 when everyone's roster is full. Nominate him, pray no one else is quick enough and you get him for 50 or something. No one is that dickish other than me, but it's an exploit that I dont want to deal with 2.5hrs before draft time.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Well, again, if you dropped AB during the draft, nobody could bid on him because MFL doesn't add him to the draftable FAs. Right? But, someone who just spend $50 on the top free agent WR would be pissed as hell to know they won't be in the picture to get AB in the waivers. Of course you can drop him tomorrow, so...

To me the main thing is freeing huge cap space and freeing roster slots mid-draft changes any analysis other owners did on who they'd be likely bidding against for later picks.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I was going off of Zaupers suggestion of nominating a kicker or something with comment of "Antonio Brown Placeholder"

But yeah.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Oh I see.

Yeah regardless it's horseshit to be able to drop someone and have them instantly nominateable at the end of an auction. The 24 hour lock rule explicitly prevents that for our waivers and we can't have that in the auction either.

Leaving that aside, we should consider for next year whether owners should be able to drop players just to free cap and roster space mid-auction, with those dropped players being locked for 24 hours (e.g. until the first waivers). I'm slightly against allowing that either but if the league wants it I'm OK with being overruled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I would be fine with that.

Drop whoever, but they will be available on the first waiver period instead of immediate.