Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Jesustheastronaut! posted:

It sounds like a lot of you end up putting a foam topper on their mattresses regardless of what you end up getting. My current mattress isn't the most comfortable. It's an old spring pillow top I have on the floor. Can I just get a quality 3.5lb foam topper for it and just lay it on top and it will feel okay? I don't want weird lumps or dips

Edit: also how much should I dish out on a topper? All the best reviewed ones on Amazon are under 200, should I be looking for more expensive toppers or a material other than foam? (145lbs, 5"11', side and back sleeper)

A topper will do nothing if you have structural difficulties with the mattress. In fact, except for the topper itself breaking in, it should have no effect at all on lumpiness.

Right around $200 is a good place to be for a high quality topper--assuming Queen size.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
My current mattress doesn't really have any of that stuff, I just want to make sure that adding a topper to a non-memory foam bed wouldn't be bad. Should I be looking at foam toppers? I want something pretty dang soft to crawl my broken body on top of at the end of each day

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

I wound up picking up a Serta foam mattress from Sam's club since it seemed to get good enough reviews, and the $400 price point was bonkers

Also because the Sam's club return policy should make it easy if it winds up being crap for me.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
We did it, goons, I took my wife and three insane kids to the mattress store. We ordered a Sealy Queen Ingenius mattress, it was the one my wife and I both felt the most comfortable on, set us back about a grand. We'll see how it goes, won't get to sleep in it until our house is done and we're moved in mid-October, though

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

A rocket fuel made of Doritos? Yeah, I could kind of see it.
I almost pulled the trigger on a new purple (the one with wrapped coils) until i saw there's only 2 inches of their proprietary poo poo on it, then got cold feet cause i was worried it wouldn't be soft enough.

I found a cool mattress manufacturer that has showrooms all around my city. I liked their individually wrapped coils + a few inches of talalay, but it was a little on the firm side. They added a latex topper on top and it was heavenly, but the whole package would cost over $4,000 :smith:

Now I'm stuck in the limbo of not having something that blew me away, and honestly wondering what it would take to just buy a queen sized set of wrapped coils and a few square feet of talalay myself :shrug:

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Phraggah posted:

I almost pulled the trigger on a new purple (the one with wrapped coils) until i saw there's only 2 inches of their proprietary poo poo on it, then got cold feet cause i was worried it wouldn't be soft enough.
They have options up to 4" on this, though of course the price rises as well.

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

Krakkles posted:

They have options up to 4" on this, though of course the price rises as well.

Yeah rises up a little much. For the price of an extra inch I could just get a wrapped coil + talalay latex bed made from a local manufacturer :shrug:

I don't suppose anyone has had expertise with both purple and latex beds?

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Phraggah posted:

Yeah rises up a little much. For the price of an extra inch I could just get a wrapped coil + talalay latex bed made from a local manufacturer :shrug:

I don't suppose anyone has had expertise with both purple and latex beds?

Good latex is quite expensive. There is a local company that makes their own products, and they won't discuss latex as a component of a mattress until you hit ~$4k. In the major vendors, latex doesn't make an appearance until about $3k, and then it's only roughly half an inch thick or so. Talalay latex is one of the best possible components in a mattress as far as durability, but it tends towards the firmer side, and is one of the most expensive components. It's in luxury mattresses for a reason. :v:

Keep in mind that there are two primary reasons I would advise against the make-it-yourself option: if latex gets wet, it starts flaking and will have a very short lifespan, and; all mattresses have to be constructed with a minimum level of flame resistance. Taken together, that usually means that manufacturers will not have latex at the top of a mattress--usually it's under multiple layers of foam, fabric, fiber, and/or coils. And I'm not entirely sure how to supply oneself with these components to make a mattress, to be quite honest.

Honestly, though, try not to be too concerned about that Purple mattress only having 2 inches of their polymer. It does not take a lot of material to fundamentally change the way a mattress feels. I can think of one instance where the difference in two products is how thick two layers were cut (one had two 2" layers of foam, the other was 1" + 3"); they felt starkly different.

Careful Drums posted:

We did it, goons, I took my wife and three insane kids to the mattress store. We ordered a Sealy Queen Ingenius mattress, it was the one my wife and I both felt the most comfortable on, set us back about a grand. We'll see how it goes, won't get to sleep in it until our house is done and we're moved in mid-October, though

That specific product is one I'm unfamiliar with, but congratulations! That is a solid price point to be floating around. If you're dropping less than ~$1k on a queen set (and ~$1.3k on a king), I would be concerned about durability and quality of product. Sealy had some very strong products around that price point when I sold them, and I have no reason to believe that has changed.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Synastren posted:

Keep in mind that there are two primary reasons I would advise against the make-it-yourself option: if latex gets wet, it starts flaking and will have a very short lifespan, and; all mattresses have to be constructed with a minimum level of flame resistance. Taken together, that usually means that manufacturers will not have latex at the top of a mattress--usually it's under multiple layers of foam, fabric, fiber, and/or coils. And I'm not entirely sure how to supply oneself with these components to make a mattress, to be quite honest.
If that's the goal, couldn't you just get a waterproof/flame-retardant mattress cover?

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless

Careful Drums posted:

https://www.artvan.com/sealy-ingenious-plush-queen-mattress/100040327.html

Looks like it's $700 with free shipping if you're near an Art Van? Is it a spring mattress with some foam? The specs don't make it entirely clear to me so I'm only guessing.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

spf3million posted:

Just pulled the trigger on a purple king2. FYI, if you add a mattress to your cart then leave it there for a couple of days they'll send you a link for $50 off if you complete in the next 48 hours.
The mattress was delivered just over 2 months ago, this is my 2 month review:

We came from a relatively firm <$1k Ikea memory foam king mattress that had developed big dips after about 1.5 years which we liked aside from the dips.

Wife and I love the feel of the purple. Different than anything else we've tried, probably a little less firm than we expected but very comfortable. It sleeps noticibly cooler than our previous mattress.

Unfortunately, the mattress has developed 1/4" dips where we sleep over the course of the two months we've had it. I contacted Purple and they immediately shipped us a replacement after a few questions and a single photo claiming it was a manufacturing defect. When I asked if the 100 night trial period would reset, they said no. The 10-yr warranty on the mattress is anything over an inch depression would qualify for a warranty replacement. So I asked them to reconsider resetting the 100 day trial because otherwise I won't be able to determine if the depressions are a one-off defect or a feature of all Purple mattresses. I only have a few weeks life before the 100 day trial ends so if they don't reset the clock, I'm going to return it and start the search over.

Cascadia Pirate
Jan 18, 2011
Anyone have any experience with this mattress from Costco?
https://www.costco.com/Sealy-Posturepedic-Response-Premium-West-Salem-Cushion-Firm-Queen-Mattress-Only.product.100364068.html

It's dirt cheap and we can try it out at the store, just wondering if there are any red flags.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I've been sleeping on my Purple (3") for almost four months now and have zero complaints. I kind of wish I'd gone with the 4", as finally sleeping on a good bed has had me realize that I actually like softness (in the past I'd strongly preferred firm mattresses, having had only bad experiences with foam et al), but I'm pretty comfortable with the mattress and it's not a big deal at all.

I've lost about 20 pounds since getting the mattress (for unrelated reasons :v:) and it feels a little bit firmer than when I got it but really not that noticeable or that big of a deal.

spf3million posted:

Unfortunately, the mattress has developed 1/4" dips where we sleep over the course of the two months we've had it. I contacted Purple and they immediately shipped us a replacement after a few questions and a single photo claiming it was a manufacturing defect. When I asked if the 100 night trial period would reset, they said no. The 10-yr warranty on the mattress is anything over an inch depression would qualify for a warranty replacement. So I asked them to reconsider resetting the 100 day trial because otherwise I won't be able to determine if the depressions are a one-off defect or a feature of all Purple mattresses. I only have a few weeks life before the 100 day trial ends so if they don't reset the clock, I'm going to return it and start the search over.

fwiw I haven't experienced anything like that with my own Purple mattress. 6'0 and 205lb if that mattered for developing indentations in the mattress. I haven't taken the mattress cover off to confirm visually, though -- did you do that, or did you feel the difference through it?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I left the cover on but laid a straight edge across one side (high points on the edge and middle) and used a ruler to measure the indent. We also felt it before measuring.

Here's the picture they had me send them:

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Anne Whateley posted:

If that's the goal, couldn't you just get a waterproof/flame-retardant mattress cover?

Theoretically, yes. I haven't the foggiest loving idea where you'd get something like that. If you want to create something, proceed at your own risk, but best of luck!

Cascadia Pirate posted:

Anyone have any experience with this mattress from Costco?
https://www.costco.com/Sealy-Posturepedic-Response-Premium-West-Salem-Cushion-Firm-Queen-Mattress-Only.product.100364068.html

It's dirt cheap and we can try it out at the store, just wondering if there are any red flags.

It might be OK. I'm unfamiliar with that model, and I can't quite identify its predecessor. We sold some cheap Sealys and they were garbo*, but that was a few years ago, and they were even cheaper.

*In my personal opinion. Also, they were rife with problems.

Something Offal posted:

https://www.artvan.com/sealy-ingenious-plush-queen-mattress/100040327.html

Looks like it's $700 with free shipping if you're near an Art Van? Is it a spring mattress with some foam? The specs don't make it entirely clear to me so I'm only guessing.

I'm assuming that the goon likely got mattress + foundation + delivery and maybe a mattress protector. After tax, regardless of where s/he lives, the total should be around 1k, give or take a hundred bux.

spf3million posted:

I'm super unfamiliar with the Purple polymer, but if this were literally any mattress with a quilted top, I would be immediately asking you if you have been rotating the mattress at all. In a quilted top, you are breaking in the comfort layers of the mattress over the first few months; if you sleep in the same spot, and do not make any additional effort, you will wear in that area well, nothing else. This effectively feels like unwarranted dips, when it's just a sign of uneven wear--sort of like if you got a new pair of shoes and only walked on the blades of your feet.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Synastren posted:

Theoretically, yes. I haven't the foggiest loving idea where you'd get something like that. If you want to create something, proceed at your own risk, but best of luck!
Waterproof mattress covers are literally everywhere, I got mine at Target for $30. I think flame retardance is required for all mattress stuff, but here's one that explicitly advertises it.

I live in NYC where everyone I know has a mattress protector because we're all paranoid of bedbugs here, but maybe the covers aren't common elsewhere??

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

Synastren posted:

Good latex is quite expensive. There is a local company that makes their own products, and they won't discuss latex as a component of a mattress until you hit ~$4k. In the major vendors, latex doesn't make an appearance until about $3k, and then it's only roughly half an inch thick or so. Talalay latex is one of the best possible components in a mattress as far as durability, but it tends towards the firmer side, and is one of the most expensive components. It's in luxury mattresses for a reason. :v:

I was mostly kidding from frustration. But good information none the less!

I could use some more actually. I tried some of the showroom models of the manufacturer I mentioned earlier and they were pretty deece. They are huge fans of firmer beds with softer toppers. I found a good combination with an individually wrapped coil frame plus foam comfort layer, with a plush foam and latex (70/30 split apparently) which should be approx 1.5-2k taxed and shipped. Their all latex topper 3-4 inches thick is just a few hundred dollars more though and I'm also tempted by that.

That being said, their sales people claimed to "not be on commission", but clearly there was lots of selling going on. I'm not sure what kind of deal this is because I've never bought a mattress like this before - based on the information here and on their site, do you have any hard questions I could ask these guys to get past any bullshit?

Appreciate it a ton by the way.

Phraggah fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 29, 2018

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Synastren posted:

I'm super unfamiliar with the Purple polymer, but if this were literally any mattress with a quilted top, I would be immediately asking you if you have been rotating the mattress at all. In a quilted top, you are breaking in the comfort layers of the mattress over the first few months; if you sleep in the same spot, and do not make any additional effort, you will wear in that area well, nothing else. This effectively feels like unwarranted dips, when it's just a sign of uneven wear--sort of like if you got a new pair of shoes and only walked on the blades of your feet.
Interesting. We definitely didn't rotate the mattress in the first 2 months, I don't remember seeing the company recommend it but we'll do that in the future. And while we didn't intentionally sleep in the same spots every night, it kind of naturally happens that way.

When you say rotate you mean just spin it 180 degrees right? It's not a 2 sided mattress. We did try rotating our last mattress 90 degrees since a king is close enough to square, do you think that would help break in the top layer more evenly?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Just got my zinus platform bed from amazon and... they sent a king size instead of a queen size. Good thing UPS pickup is an option cause drat that was a big rear end box that has 0 chance of fitting in my car.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Anne Whateley posted:

Waterproof mattress covers are literally everywhere, I got mine at Target for $30. I think flame retardance is required for all mattress stuff, but here's one that explicitly advertises it.

I live in NYC where everyone I know has a mattress protector because we're all paranoid of bedbugs here, but maybe the covers aren't common elsewhere??

I meant flame resistant, specifically. Waterproof is easy to find. Sorry for the confusion!

spf3million posted:

When you say rotate you mean just spin it 180 degrees right? It's not a 2 sided mattress. We did try rotating our last mattress 90 degrees since a king is close enough to square, do you think that would help break in the top layer more evenly?

Yep, spin it head to toe. Same side faces up!

Phraggah posted:

I could use some more actually. I tried some of the showroom models of the manufacturer I mentioned earlier and they were pretty deece. They are huge fans of firmer beds with softer toppers. I found a good combination with an individually wrapped coil frame plus foam comfort layer, with a plush foam and latex (70/30 split apparently) which should be approx 1.5-2k taxed and shipped. Their all latex topper 3-4 inches thick is just a few hundred dollars more though and I'm also tempted by that.

That being said, their sales people claimed to "not be on commission", but clearly there was lots of selling going on. I'm not sure what kind of deal this is because I've never bought a mattress like this before - based on the information here and on their site, do you have any hard questions I could ask these guys to get past any bullshit?

Appreciate it a ton by the way.

Bed 1 is on par with some of our cheaper models. It should hold up kind-of-OK, I think? I would check with the sales guys to find out if the coil is precompressed; if the coil is not precompressed, it has less tension, and you will sink further relative to a precompressed coil. For comparison, a standard Beautyrest pocketed coil is 9 inches, and is precompressed by 2 or 3 inches (I can't remember which). I am not a fan of coil edge encasements, but that's somewhat preferential... and I don't have a good reason for my disdain in this case. :v:

So yeah, check to see if the coils are precompressed. Also ask them about the gauge of their coil; if the coil is 14.5 or higher, I have no idea how the gently caress the mattress would be firm. They might have to look up the answer; not knowing immediately is not a sign of poor training or expertise. This is a fairly specific couple of questions that will likely make them wonder if you are shopping them from a competitor.

I'm also not a big fan of hard coils that you put a topper on, but, again, I have no well founded reason for that. Modular designs just bother me; I can't fathom why you'd make multiple incomplete products so people (who generally aren't bed experts, and get things wrong about half the time on their own) can put things together themselves. There was only one thing that gave me pause regarding the topper:

Why would you do that? :psyduck: It is priced as if it is a decent product, though. I'm unfamiliar, and I can't actually turn you away from it, so go for it if the coil system in the mattress checks out, I guess?

There are two competitors in my area that proudly claim they are not on commission. What they should say is that they are not commissioned per-piece by their employer, but their salary fluctuates based on performance. One of these competitors gets manufacturer-direct payouts for products sold at full price, in addition to personal performance bonuses; the other modulates their staff's salary quarterly, based upon the total amount sold over the previous quarter.

But they're not commissioned. :colbert:

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm at 8 months of sleeping on my Leesa king mattress and I'm still loving it. Very comfortable and I sleep like a prince.

Dazerbeams
Jul 8, 2009

Does anyone have personal experience with saatva or sapira? I was considering them both since I think hybrid is the way I want to go. The only thing I am concerned about with the saatva is the longevity of the pillow top.

Phraggah
Nov 11, 2011

Coulda sworn this came up earlier but I can't find it now

Where are the softest sheets? Thread counts, cotton types, and no labels mentioning fiber length...oh my!

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Phraggah posted:

Coulda sworn this came up earlier but I can't find it now

Where are the softest sheets? Thread counts, cotton types, and no labels mentioning fiber length...oh my!

Wirecutter did a great article about this.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
hello mattress thread, pls help

I have a tuft and needle from their early days that I absolutely adore, but my wife hates it and blames it for her back pain. She might be right...we slept on this thing on a recent vacation and her back felt great the whole time, so maybe she's onto something.

Anyway

I'm 6' 190, in good health, a profoundly good and deep sleeper who can sleep on just about anything. My main concern is keeping cool, and I suppose I don't like REALLY soft/saggy mattresses. Wife is 5'6 140, with very wide hips which she also blames for her mainly lower back pain as she's a side sleeper. She's otherwise also in good health. I think she likes softer things than the T&N, but I'm not totally sure if that is the problem here.

If I'm going to have to spring for a mattress, I'd like something that'll last us for a long, long time. I'd say budget is unlimited but apparently this poo poo gets ludicrously expensive, so I'll say I could be persuaded to pay $3-4k for a really fantastic mattress. Ideally I'd like to find something for less than $2k.

Also, a buddy of mine is a big uppity up at Mattress Firm and can probably get us a discount or something, so cool if there is something we should look at there.

Recommendations?

edit - upon further review my current T&N is a shikibuton. Unsure if this is a game changer

bewbies fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Sep 11, 2018

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

I'm going to cop out a little bit, because it is super difficult to give a specific suggestion to you. It sounds like you and I are in similar situations (I'm roughly 6', roughly the same weight; my wife has large hips, is a side sleeper). I held my ground on a more medium-soft mattress, and it's been a decision I regret. We'll be transitioning to the softest mattress we carry in the next few months, because I've since realized that my preference falls short of her need.

Split kings allow you to have two different mattresses, though, so that might be worth looking into!

Seriously, though, if you have a buddy who is a higher-up at Mattress Firm, you should reach out to them directly, even if they're in a different city. They can go through the grapevine, and get a recommendation to someone who would be very well suited to help you. If you want more information, feel free to shoot me a PM.

Saeku
Sep 22, 2010
Does anybody here have an opinion on Muji's pocket coil mattresses?

They look really nice, but I don't know anything about mattresses. I like sleeping on very hard surfaces if that affects anything, am the sort who gets great sleep on couches or floors.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Dazerbeams posted:

Does anyone have personal experience with saatva or sapira? I was considering them both since I think hybrid is the way I want to go. The only thing I am concerned about with the saatva is the longevity of the pillow top.

I'm about a month into a Saatva and I love it. The only real downside is my dreams are way more vivid due to sleeping deeper and sometimes I don't want them any clearer. The pillow top is holding up no problem, returns to shape pretty fast once weight is taken off of it but it might be too early to tell on that front.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
So we went to Mattress Firm today and of course the wife falls madly in love with a super pricey mattress. She wants the Beautyrest Black Hybrid Claremont, which they said they'd do for about $3800, including delivery, two "black ice" pillows, and a box spring. I liked a Stearns and Foster Lux Estate Hybrid, which comes with two fancy pillows for $2199 delivered.

I'm willing to bet I can get a better deal, but at least now I know what kind of thing might work...a plush hybrid is a good place to start I guess. If I'm going to be spending upwards of $3k, I'm thinking maybe one of these "lifetime" mattresses from the amusingly named "Joplimo" might be the way to go.

Are any of these particularly good deals, or am I totally lost in the woods here?

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Synastren posted:

Reports I've heard suggest that the Purple polymer is even more weight sensitive than lots of foam. I haven't had enough information to verify, and I have no idea what their break-in process is like. I'd be intensely interested in your experiences, though!

Hey just popping in by random chance. I've had the original Purple mattress for 2 years now and the pillows for around a year, but have only used the pillows for a few months. The mattress broke in after a period of around a month or so. At first it was incredibly comfortable, then I started having a sore back for a couple weeks, then eventually I was fine. That seemed to be mostly my body adjusting to a new mattress (I switched from a Sealy Posturpedic) and honestly that happens to me every time I get a new mattress.

When the pillows were announced I got on the kickstarter and got a pair of them and holy poo poo they were huge and HEAVY. There simply wasn't enough give on them so my neck would be propped up in incredibly uncomfortable positions and I would wake up in pain. I threw the pillows into my closet and went back to a softer pillow for back sleeping and a firmer pillow for side sleeping. Fast forward to almost a year later and the pillows I have have worn out, and I forgot to go replace them so I pull out the Purple pillows from the closet figuring that I'd deal with them for one night and get replacements the next day. Low and behold, the purples have soften considerably and are now incredibly comfortable for both side and back sleeping for me. I guess just sitting there for a long time allowed them to fully "loosen up".

I'm still really happy with my purchases. I rarely get hot on the purple (a problem I would have with foam and regular mattresses) unless the ambient temperature is high anyway, and the combination of firmness and give is perfect for me, and the bed still has bounce which is nice.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I'm looking to replace a mattress (full, innerspring, enormous divot in the middle) with a mattress (full, memory foam, maybe quilted or pillow top if I can swing it). I was going to check out what Ikea had on tap, but I'm also aware that they sell mattresses on the internet now.

Which of those internet mattress companies would you suggest I look into? I really don't know the first thing about them, other than that casper used to buy ads on the dollop. Also, trying not to spend more than 700bux if I can avoid it.

Thanks much.

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Volcott posted:

I'm looking to replace a mattress (full, innerspring, enormous divot in the middle) with a mattress (full, memory foam, maybe quilted or pillow top if I can swing it). I was going to check out what Ikea had on tap, but I'm also aware that they sell mattresses on the internet now.

Which of those internet mattress companies would you suggest I look into? I really don't know the first thing about them, other than that casper used to buy ads on the dollop. Also, trying not to spend more than 700bux if I can avoid it.

Thanks much.

There are a bevy of companies that provide decent mattresses somewhere around that price range. I think you'll be somewhat strained if you're looking for a good quality set (i.e., mattress and something to put it on) for under 700 after tax. If you're OK going up to around ~850 or so, your options will open up dramatically.

If you're looking for innerspring, I would strongly urge you to investigate individually encased coils. They may be pocketed (a BeautyRest trademark) or otherwise encased; the important reason is because they will conform well, and will hold up better over time than an old-school connected coil. It also means that if your mattress gets damaged somehow, only that specific area will be affected. This in no way is indicative of the feel of the mattress.

[Side note: I had a college friend who had a connected coil mattress. He busted some part of the mattress, and it just caved in on half of the bed like a spoon.]

Foam will, in general, allow for slightly higher quality at a lower price point. The only all-foam product I steer people away from is Casper because the company has a history of doing some shady poo poo. I don't like Tuft & Needle, likely because they just recently opened a store in my trade area, but their product is OK. Leesa is going to be just north of that 800 price point, I think, and tulo has stuff that's going to be between 700 and 800. Purple will be breaking 1k, I think, as will Saatva, and a few other bed-in-a-box labels.

Good heuristic is that if it is a mattress for an adult, that will be getting every day use, you should definitely spend more than $500 on it. For traditional mattresses, you'll probably want to push up to about $700.

Regardless, I would recommend popping into a store to check out some stuff. If you go to a specialty retailer, often you can quickly determine whether they will be helpful or not based on how they interact with you. If you are clear about where your budget is, they will (read: should) respect that. And you can always nope right out if you don't like the person or the product.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
I paid around $650 for my full Brooklyn Bedding Signature mattress earlier this year and I like it a lot paired with one of the cheap Zinus platform beds.

It's got pocketed coils and a latex-like foam top layer

Synastren
Nov 8, 2005

Bad at Starcraft 2.
Better at psychology.
Psychology Megathread

Stevie Lee posted:

I paid around $650 for my full Brooklyn Bedding Signature mattress earlier this year and I like it a lot paired with one of the cheap Zinus platform beds.

It's got pocketed coils and a latex-like foam top layer

That's one of those local brands I'm not familiar with. It's certainly possible to find local businesses that will have some specific and good beds!

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

Synastren posted:

There are a bevy of companies that provide decent mattresses somewhere around that price range. I think you'll be somewhat strained if you're looking for a good quality set (i.e., mattress and something to put it on) for under 700 after tax. If you're OK going up to around ~850 or so, your options will open up dramatically.

If you're looking for innerspring, I would strongly urge you to investigate individually encased coils. They may be pocketed (a BeautyRest trademark) or otherwise encased; the important reason is because they will conform well, and will hold up better over time than an old-school connected coil. It also means that if your mattress gets damaged somehow, only that specific area will be affected. This in no way is indicative of the feel of the mattress.

[Side note: I had a college friend who had a connected coil mattress. He busted some part of the mattress, and it just caved in on half of the bed like a spoon.]

Foam will, in general, allow for slightly higher quality at a lower price point. The only all-foam product I steer people away from is Casper because the company has a history of doing some shady poo poo. I don't like Tuft & Needle, likely because they just recently opened a store in my trade area, but their product is OK. Leesa is going to be just north of that 800 price point, I think, and tulo has stuff that's going to be between 700 and 800. Purple will be breaking 1k, I think, as will Saatva, and a few other bed-in-a-box labels.

Good heuristic is that if it is a mattress for an adult, that will be getting every day use, you should definitely spend more than $500 on it. For traditional mattresses, you'll probably want to push up to about $700.

Regardless, I would recommend popping into a store to check out some stuff. If you go to a specialty retailer, often you can quickly determine whether they will be helpful or not based on how they interact with you. If you are clear about where your budget is, they will (read: should) respect that. And you can always nope right out if you don't like the person or the product.

A bit more isn't an issue, though 850 is just about all I can spend at the moment. I did want to try out memory foam this time around, since "old-school connected coil" is all I've ever used. I'll look into the companies you've mentioned, and pop into a mattress firm in addition to ikea.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
tonight's the night! after three years of sleeping on couches i finally get to sleep in my own mattress :D

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
okay four nights in and both mine and my wife's lower backs hurt. i'm real bummed about this after having slept on a pull-out couch the last 6 months. what gives? what do i do with this mattress? i don't think art van is going to take it back :(

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
do y'all think a mattress topper would help?

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now

Careful Drums posted:

do y'all think a mattress topper would help?

It might. A decently thick one will probably be a bit expensive, but worth it. And at least if you get one of those you'll know there'll probably be a better return policy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
The other option is to wait a week or two and see if your back adjusts. Sometimes different beds take a minute for your body to adjust to.