Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

windex posted:

The best part of that exchange: The green and amber lights are often used by volunteer fire departments who can't run red and/or blues due to state law that excludes them. Volunteer fire departments are often eligible for hand me downs from other PD/Fire, or even new vehicles from manufacturers with special pricing for municipal government organizations.

So the whole argument is probably about volunteer firemen doing their drat already thankless job.

We don't have the same here, so okay. We have in just the last month had a bunch of cases reported of women being followed and pulled over/attempted to pull over by men in unmarked cars with blue/red lights in the window only. Real unmarked cars have lights hidden everywhere.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That was fucken awesome

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If the lights/sirens are really on vehicles that are allowed to have them, there will be some record of those vehicles being allowed to have them, and reporting them will have no detrimental effect. However, if it really is someone trying to impersonate cops, you could get a dangerous person off the road.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:

PT6A posted:

If the lights/sirens are really on vehicles that are allowed to have them, there will be some record of those vehicles being allowed to have them, and reporting them will have no detrimental effect. However, if it really is someone trying to impersonate cops, you could get a dangerous person off the road.

Also volunteer firefighters probably aren't going to be making traffic stops in their surplus cruisers. I don't even know if FD has that authority. Maybe fire marshal does, I dunno.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

carry on then posted:

Counter point: don't snitch.
"Hey guys, I know these criminals impersonating the cops prey on the vulnerable, seeking to either rape people or extort money, but there's literally nothing that could get me to call the godsdamn pigs."

America's justice system is plagued by systemic racism, abuse of power, and just everyday idiocy, but enabling criminals to victimize the innocent does nothing to solve that.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
Counter-counter point: Holy gently caress you're all being trolled, and even if you're not, with someone that far out on the fringe you don't have the slimmest hope of bringing them to sanity. Leave it alone.

Edit: SEE?!

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Aug 25, 2018

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Cugel the Clever posted:

"Hey guys, I know these criminals impersonating the cops prey on the vulnerable, seeking to either rape people or extort money, but there's literally nothing that could get me to call the godsdamn pigs."

America's justice system is plagued by systemic racism, abuse of power, and just everyday idiocy, but enabling criminals to victimize the innocent does nothing to solve that.

More people have died from actual cops than cop impersonators.

Never. Call. The. loving. Cops.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
unless its on granos

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

carry on then posted:

Counterpoint, call the cops.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

carry on then posted:

Someone keep this post handy for when this moron gets robbed, assaulted, or otherwise has their day hosed up while screaming "CALL 911"

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

cakesmith handyman posted:

Especially on black people!

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Someone keep this post handy for when this moron gets robbed, assaulted, or otherwise has their day hosed up while screaming "CALL 911"

How many antifa have you run over with your car?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

carry on then posted:

Here we see the alt-right troll in its natural habitat, purposefully conflating the urgent need for police reform with excusing crime against the vulnerable and then pretending to be a leftist. Run along back to 8chan, please.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait
Yesterday on my drive to work, I had three different people flip me off after I honked when they were too busy on their phones to see the light go green. Yeah, those of us who want to actually move are the problem.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

This is why I enjoy the GTA games so much.

You unequivocally rule traffic, and if anyone threatens your position, you've got a grenade launcher.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

carry on then posted:

Leave.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

You're twisting my melon, man.

VVVV: Would you kindly gently caress off?

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Aug 25, 2018

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Cugel the Clever posted:

Here we see the alt-right troll in its natural habitat, purposefully conflating the urgent need for police reform with excusing crime against the vulnerable and then pretending to be a leftist. Run along back to 8chan, please.

Ahaha, "accuse your opponents of your own faults" at it's finest. Impersonating a police officer isn't a crime which carries an immediate execution as punishment. If you call the cops on a person and that person is Black, that's the punishment they will receive. Protect the vulnerable in your community. Never call the police.

huge pile of hamburger
Nov 4, 2009

BOOTY-ADE posted:

feel free to fall off a cliff

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

carry on then posted:

Ahaha, "accuse your opponents of your own faults" at it's finest. Impersonating a police officer isn't a crime which carries an immediate execution as punishment. If you call the cops on a person and that person is Black, that's the punishment they will receive. Protect the vulnerable in your community. Never call the police.

I told you to leave.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

It's me, the person you share the road with.

After I hit something (likely a rock or something, I didn't see it until THUNK), which damaged my wheel well, which then got ripped off by my tire in the middle of the road. I'm sorry.

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

Did about 300 miles on the autobahn yesterday and I saw less lane hoggers in all that time than I do in any 5 minute segment on the A2 Dartford - Medway segment back home.

The hell are we doing wrong back in the U.K.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Lord Ludikrous posted:

The hell are we doing wrong back in the U.K.

Centuries of inbreeding would be a good place to start looking.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!
Encountered a wrong-way driver on a one-way highway frontage road yesterday.

I really need to get a dashcam.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Powershift posted:

Centuries of inbreeding would be a good place to start looking.

Can't actually disagree. The autobahn takes no prisoners though, you might think you're hot poo poo getting your rental cmax up to 220kph but when you see the aston coming up behind you at 300kph you'll get back in your own lane sharpish.

I enjoyed Germany.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

xergm posted:

Encountered a wrong-way driver on a one-way highway frontage road yesterday.

I really need to get a dashcam.

driving home (40ish miles) from a friend's NYE party at 2 AM last year and the overhead sign immediately after getting on the freeway was flashing "wrong way driver". I couldn't get off that freeway fast enough. just stayed on the surface streets the whole way home and listened to podcasts.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen
Plot twist: you were the wrong-way driver, because you were drunk on NYE

just kidding, drunk driving is a terrible thing and I would never accuse anyone of it

tuna
Jul 17, 2003

Some shithead in a security van running an extremely stale red.

https://youtu.be/x8awe4tc-Dc

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
The one time I was able to drive the Autobahn I had rented an Alpha... Giulia, I think. When I went to pick it up they didn't have one despite my reservation (never actually gotten the car I've reserved in Europe) so I got a Golf. It was fun as hell to thrash it anyway, but by the time I finally got up to speed some Mercedes or something would come roaring up and I'd have to move over for it. Every. Single. Time. It was a bit frustrating. Still, Autobahn. Only plates I saw that didn't move over seemed to be French.

joe944
Jan 31, 2004

What does not destroy me makes me stronger.

tuna posted:

I had a semi do this today.

It's so common around here that I don't go through an intersection without checking first, and then I gun it just to be safe.

dee eight
Dec 18, 2002

The Spirit
of Maynard

:catdrugs:
Never fully commit to acceleration on the green without checking left-right-left. It has saved my rear end multiple times and is a constantly repeated mantra to the kid I'm teaching to drive.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

tuna posted:

Send that bullshit to his employer. Dunno if they can ID him, but any marked vehicles doing extremely dumb poo poo like that should get called out.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Coming home from my night shift this morning on I-35 through the Austin Construction Zone where there's no shoulders of any kind anywhere, just temporary concrete barriers to give the workers/their equipment some breathing room. I'm on the outside lane since my exit is coming up and I see two cars coming down the on-ramp (and when I say "coming down" I mean the access road is a good 10 meters above highway). There's no weave lanes here, and as mentioned no shoulder to drive off of, so these guys have to merge with me in tiny, cramped space the construction zone left.

Me: "Okay there's just enough room for me to be polite and tap the breaks to calmly slip between the two cars with minimal interferance. No biggie."
Idiot in front: "OH GOD I'M MERGING ONTO A HIGHWAY, BETTER SLOW THE gently caress DOWN SO THIS GUY CAN PASS ME!"
Me: "Err...why is the guy in front not in front of me."
Idiot in Front: "gently caress RUNNING OUT OF LANE, GOTTA SLOW DOWN BEFORE I RAM INTO THE CONCRETE BARRIERS!"

:ughh: I realized what he was doing before it was too late but it is a highway and you are allowed to accelerate and gain speed to merge with a major interstate highway.

Murphys Law
Nov 1, 2005

Alkydere posted:

:ughh: I realized what he was doing before it was too late but it is a highway and you are allowed to accelerate and gain speed to merge with a major interstate highway.

God, the people who don't know how to accelerate onto the highway. So many times I'm by an on-ramp with a car ahead of me on it, and my options are be a dick and speed up to pass them, or ease up on the gas a bit and let them in front of me. I ease up to start allowing them room and 75% of the time they either:

1. Do nothing, just maintain their pace, requiring me to slow down more, then don't get all the way to highway speed until they are in the lane.

2. Slow down themselves, leaving me the same choice I had before I eased up, which is speed up and pass them or ease up more to let them over.

Both piss me off because now I feel like an rear end for slowing down on the highway, even though if they'd paid attention they could have figured poo poo out and got us both back up to speed quickly. There have been a few occasions where I decide gently caress it and just hit the gas and pass them because gently caress that poo poo.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
This is my wife you share the road with.

I'm like, 99% sure she was texting and then curbed her car. Which blew out her tire sidewall. All of those flaps in the top left are, in fact, flaps that reveal some rather sizeable holes in her tire.

Her spare tire has a slow leak in it, too. I put it on, noticed it went flat, and after about 40 PSI it started making a very loud hissing sound and drops about 1 PSI per minute. Guess this isn't getting replaced today :suicide:

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 29, 2018

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Protocol7 posted:

Her spare tire has a slow leak in it, too. I put it on, noticed it went flat, and after about 40 PSI it started making a very loud hissing sound and drops about 1 PSI per minute. Guess this isn't getting replaced today :suicide:
Can't help but feel this would have been an appropriate moment for someone to learn how to change their own wheels...

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Protocol7 posted:

I'm like, 99% sure she was texting and then curbed her car. Which blew out her tire sidewall. All of those flaps in the top left are, in fact, flaps that reveal some rather sizeable holes in her tire.

I am guessing she has zero shame about being a dangerous driver who will likely maim someone in the future.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

InitialDave posted:

Can't help but feel this would have been an appropriate moment for someone to learn how to change their own wheels...

Yeah point understood, but hell it does get interesting with this simple stuff such as a tire change. Wheel welded on, etc.

I'll never forget changing my tire with a bumper jack on a '72 Olds Delta 88 on a freeway...while doing it on the freeway side when I was 16 or 17.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
My two new least favorite kind of drivers:

People who slowly creep over the line at a red, and then when the light turns green takes three seconds to get moving. What the gently caress.

People laaaaaaazily accelerating away from a light, only to eventually hit 170% of the posted speed. Probably related to the people who take 30 seconds to complete a motorway lane change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yeah point understood, but hell it does get interesting with this simple stuff such as a tire change. Wheel welded on, etc.

I'll never forget changing my tire with a bumper jack on a '72 Olds Delta 88 on a freeway...while doing it on the freeway side when I was 16 or 17.
THAT WILL BE AN IMPORTANT LESSON