Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

Don’t jump to conclusions. It is possible it applies to the entire family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

JaneError posted:

Two different posts by the same Weddingbee poster:

Unacceptable to not send thank you notes unless its Christmas or birthdays?
Do people actually care that much about thank you notes? Obviously you want to say 'thank you' in some way or you're just an ungrateful prick, but they seem like an overly ritualized way of doing it. I've only ever done them for distant relatives I'm unlikely to be able to say "hey, thanks for the thing" to in a more natural way. People I'm closer to get their thanks in person or over the phone.

Although after googling the Weddingbee thread, it seems like it might just be a regional thing. :shrug:

JaneError posted:

Photographer not posting a single one if our photos on social media.
:laffo: at this, though.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Haifisch posted:

Do people actually care that much about thank you notes? Obviously you want to say 'thank you' in some way or you're just an ungrateful prick, but they seem like an overly ritualized way of doing it. I've only ever done them for distant relatives I'm unlikely to be able to say "hey, thanks for the thing" to in a more natural way. People I'm closer to get their thanks in person or over the phone.

Although after googling the Weddingbee thread, it seems like it might just be a regional thing. :shrug:

A certain generation has this really weird obsession with certain levels of propriety (Like my girlfriends Nana, who used to make very loud comments regarding people wearing hats indoors). It's like politness by rules vs. politeness by action.

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

Me [30F] with my mom [62F] buying me gifts that I can't use, don't need, and don't want...

quote:

I probably sound super ungrateful, but I'm at the point in my life where the holidays aren't about presents. I feel like the most important thing is to get together with your family for the day, have a nice meal, and MAYBE exchange one or two thoughtful gifts if that's your tradition. However, every year for birthdays and Christmas my mom continues to buy me and my siblings hundreds of dollars worth of things we can't use or don't want.

I would say it's very generous, but she obviously hasn't even taken what we could actually use into account. For instance, she asked both me and my sister if we would like a fake fireplace and we both told her no. I let her know that we already have a fireplace in my house (as does my sister) and we don't even use the one we have. As a matter of fact, the back of our couch is positioned against it. Guess what we both got for Christmas. I googled it and it seems she spent at least $200 each on these and neither one of us wants it! She also continues to buy us literally bags of clothes that aren't in our style or size. She gets a lot of these off the clearance rack, so at least she's saving money there, but in the end it's still a waste of her money when we can't use it, and most stores she shops at won't accept returns for clearance items, or the stores will offer a fraction of what I know she paid because the items have gone on sale since she bought them.

It's like she's flushing her money down the toilet and then she tries to hold it over our heads by making passive aggressive comments about how much she spent and how next year she won't do it again if we don't *insert thing she wants from us here*... but then next year rolls around and she still does. I don't have room for all of this junk in my house! And taking the time donate it or find people I know who actually can use it is exhausting and discouraging, not to mention how dumbfounded I feel that she would make herself go broke charging all these things to credit that we're going to have to return or give away. She bought me a phone case and 2 different kinds of screen protectors for a phone I don't even have anymore even though I told her that I got a new one. I looked into returning them and it would cost me almost as much shipping as they cost her to purchase. I've tried talking to her, asking her not to buy me clothes. I've given her a small list of things that I actually would enjoy getting and she'll end up buying those things (but still get them slightly off like the phone case) in ADDITION to a ton of other stuff that I don't need or want. This Christmas I said I could use new shoes, some work pants that AREN'T drawstring (I have trouble keeping the string tied for some reason, so they always slip down my hips, exposing my undies), a phone case for my phone, or a selfie stick. These are all things that I can use, need, and should cost less than $100 total. She got all of these things even though I had intended the list to just give her a few options, but she also managed to get a case for the wrong phone, bought only pants WITH drawstring, and still bought me tons of ugly shirts that are several sizes too big and fit me like a tent in addition to the fake fireplace. I feel like she gets pleasure from giving away massive amounts of gifts even though they're all useless and cost her too much money.

What can I do? Should I just thank her and then discretely get rid of the things later, or should I have another conversation with her? She doesn't have this kind of money to be blowing... It's really not good for her financially. She claimed bankruptcy just a few years ago and recently I found out she was using MY credit card (but also paying down what she bought) against my express wishes, so I had to cancel that card.

Tldr: Mom keeps buying gifts to seem generous that we don't actually need or want, and then tries to use it as a guilt trip later. What can I do or say to stop her? Anything?

Okay, that nicely buried the worst offense.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Xenocides posted:

Me [30F] with my mom [62F] buying me gifts that I can't use, don't need, and don't want...

Okay, that nicely buried the worst offense.

Holy poo poo that final twist :stare: that lady needs hella therapy

Milotic
Mar 4, 2009

9CL apologist
Slippery Tilde
Grandma inlaw(73F) wants my husband(24M) and I(23F) to adopt our niece(4F)

quote:

u/AuntyMom1301
A little back story, we are helping my husband’s grandma raise our niece. Her dad is prison and her mom passed away.

Grandma’s health is declining and we are having to help more and more. She’s ok, she just has arthritis and diabetes so she’s in physical pain a lot.

We recently got orders(military) to move 12 hours away. This would leave grandma and niece alone and that’s honestly, just not best for either of them.

Brother in law is supportive of the adoption. He will not be out any time soon.

It sounds all good and wholesome on paper but I’m freaking out a bit. We have been together for 5 years but only married for one. We have been living together just the 2 of us for less than a year.

I went to college 30 minutes from my hometown and I’ve never lived away from my family. It all just sounds like a recipe for disaster but what other option do I have? I love my niece and I’ve always wanted children but we are still so young and inexperienced.

Any advice?

TL;DR grandma’s health is declining so she wants us to adopt our niece

Dad is in prison for 20 years for murder. Time to put on your big girl pants and not let your niece go into care.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Haifisch posted:

My brother(17M) and I(20M) have not spoken in over a year and we sleep in the same room.

The House that Asperger's built.

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.

Milotic posted:

Dad is in prison for 20 years for murder. Time to put on your big girl pants and not let your niece go into care.

Eh, you can't blame her for being hesitant about it.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

Milotic posted:

this whole thing really sucks

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Milotic posted:

Yeah this sucks and it's natural to feel hesitant and you will for sure make mistakes that will haunt you for the entirety of your life but that's the way life goes sometimes. You have to be there for the little girl, period.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Sucks getting that dropped on you but what are you going to do, tell the 4 year old good luck out there?

MachineryNoise
Jan 13, 2008

So I shout "Set your life on fire!"
They're going to despise that girl for ruining their young lives, get a divorce and treat her like garbage. The kid is hosed regardless.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Dan Savage has got a live one today:

quote:

Any etiquette tips or best practices for introducing my husband to my boyfriend?

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

tactlessbastard posted:

Slowly, and with lots of lube.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

tactlessbastard posted:

dan savage has hosed up a lot of people

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
To think, he used to be sane.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
He didn't invent polyamory

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

phasmid posted:

To think, he used to be sane.

I feel likeI missed something. I thought Savage was a bit out there, but pretty sane?

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Neito posted:

I feel likeI missed something. I thought Savage was a bit out there, but pretty sane?

I dunno. He had some good political insight, having been raised among arch-conservative types, but lately he's seemed much more preoccupied with his Savage Love column and it can be irritatingly woke-ish.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
"Dan I have a problem. I'm a 35 year old cis white straight poly demi woman on the west coast. I have 10,000 simultaneous sexual partners and it's just SO DIFFICULT! Any advice?"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Ferret King posted:

"Dan I have a problem. I'm a 35 year old cis white straight poly demi woman on the west coast. I have 10,000 simultaneous sexual partners and it's just SO DIFFICULT! Any advice?"

Open your phase of matter

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This one is kind of sad considering the ages:

I (f/24) told my friend (m/28) I like him. He said he likes me too. Now what do I do? Does my plan sound ok?

quote:

I told him 10 days ago. We hang out at the local pub along every weekend with our separate groups of friends. We usually end up ditching our friends and hanging out just the two of us. After the pub, we grab food and sometimes head back to his apartment and listen to music and chat.

I always suspected he may like me by the small things he began doing. Such as, walking me to my car at night, looking at me from across the room thinking I didn't notice, shooing away all the guys who would come dance with me when we would go to gigs, sharing a blanket with me on the couch, those are just some.

After 3 years of knowing him, I finally realized I like him and that he may like me to. So, one night after the pub - we went back to his place as usual and I told him I liked him. He was in great shock. I asked him what he thought, he said, "I like you too". He then went on saying that he is 28 years old and has never been in a relationship. He said he was worried about being a bad boyfriend and not being able to give me what I want. I told him we can just take it slow, hang out more often and see where things go. He said "sure, I'm sorry - I need a drink". He then got up and went desperately search the fridge for alcohol, he made himself a drink, but didn't even drink it, he was just nervous.

When he returned, he seemed a little more relaxed. We chatted some more, when I said I was going to call a cab and head home, he told me I could sleepover and he would drive me home in he morning. He refused to let me go home in a cab because it was late at night. I asked, "where will I sleep?" and he said "my bed".

We got to his bed, and he started taking his clothes off and says, "I sleep naked". I said, "me too". I went to the bathroom, took my clothes off, came out in my bra and undies. He watched me climb into bed. He then pulled me closer to cuddle and we fell asleep. We slept until the afternoon, he then drove me home.

So what now?

In my opinion, I feel that in order to take things slow and make this a natural progression, I think I should wait until I see him on the weekend like usual and go from there. I think I should just act like I normally act, no difference. I will probably see him at the pub on the weekend, where we will hang out as usual and most likely end up back at his place, from there I can now take it to the next level. We fell asleep cuddling last time, maybe this time I can go in for a kiss and see what happens. Once we do this a little more often, then we can go on planning dates or discussing places we want to try and check out together. Does this seem like a good idea? It's what feels most right to me.

I feel that if I go out of my way to text him and plan a date is un-natural and not like us. We never text or plan our hangouts. We just know we will both be there. He is also only available on weekends, he works night shifts weekdays. We have opposite schedules. I'm just trying to take things slow and trying not to act super different because I can tell he his very nervous about the whole thing. He even admitted that he was afraid because he is 28 and has never been in a serious relationship. I also have zero relationship experience, but I don't think I'm as afraid as he is, perhaps because I am a little younger than him.

I'm not in a hurry, we both have said we like each other and are on the same page. I think that is most important.

TLDR: Told a guy friend of 3 years that I like him. He likes me too. We fell asleep cuddling. He admitted that he is 28 and never had a serious relationship. He is afraid and seems pretty nervous about it. I told him we can take things slow, hang out more and see where it goes. We are on the same page. I'm unsure of what to do next. I am thinking of just proceeding as usual. We hang out at the same pub every weekend. I know I'll see him there this weekend, we usually ditch our friends, hang out together and head back to his place to hangout more. So we will probably do that again, but I am thinking of taking things further, last time we cuddled, this time I'll go in for kiss. Does this seem like a good approach? I could text him to plan a date, but that seems very un-natural for us. We never text or plan hang-outs. We just know each other will be at the pub on the weekends.

But I found it mostly :3:

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

My [26F] friend's fiancé [27M] got drunk and assaulted my FWB [27M]. My friend is taking his side. Is this worth ending a friendship over?

quote:

Sarah, my best friend and former roommate from college, recently moved to my city after four years of keeping up our friendship long distance. She moved to be with her fiancé Mark who she's been dating for 2 years and who got a job here. I had never met Mark, but I kind of had a not-so-great impression of him based on his social media, although I've been trying to keep an open mind. Sarah and I have been hanging out frequently since they moved here a month ago, but I still hadn't met Mark since he was busy with work. This past weekend we planned to go to an event at a bar with Mark so I could meet him for the first time. I invited Henry, who is a guy I've been sleeping with for the past four months. We're not dating, just friends with benefits, but we actually are pretty good friends.

When Henry and I got to the bar he was very polite and introduced himself to Sarah, said he'd heard a lot about her from me, etc -- just basic normal human interaction type stuff. In contrast, Mike was already drunk when we arrived, refused to shake my hand when I tried to introduce myself (because "it's weird to shake a girl's hand"), and demanded to know how tall Henry was (then said "hah I got three inches on you dude"). Basically he was weird and belligerent from the second we walked in. Long story short as the night went on Mike kept drinking and trying to start a fight with Henry for no apparent reason. It kept escalating to the point where I actually called him out on it and said we were going to leave, but then Sarah jumped in and sort of smoothed things over. After a couple of hours Henry went to the bathroom and Mike went, allegedly, to get another drink. A little while later Henry came back BLEEDING EVERYWHERE, and said that Mike had jumped him in the bathroom and punched him in the face.

Mike came back and denied it happened ("you're losing it bro, that wasn't me"), but he had blood on his hand and I have no doubt based on how he was acting all night that he did it. I was flipping out and was about to have the bartender call the police but Henry basically pulled me out of the bar and got us a cab. Long story short, we ended up going to the hospital and he needed three stitches in his lip, plus he has a black eye. I want him to press charges against Mike but he says he doesn't feel like dealing with the hassle.

The day after that happened I met up with Sarah and basically told her she was insane to stay with a guy who would randomly assault someone who's literally never done anything to him before. She essentially said she believes Mike and she's not leaving him. She said she understands that Henry and I are upset but she's not going to throw away a two year relationship just because of "one weird night at a bar with your fuckbuddy." I left angry and have been ignoring her. She keeps texting me memes and jokes and acting like nothing happened, and between her and Henry (who's also acting like it was just a weird blip that we should move on from), I kind of feel like I'm losing my mind. Is it me, or is punching someone in a bar like that a huge, disturbing red flag??? I was so happy to have Sarah in my city, but now I don't even know how I can continue being friends with her. I never plan on seeing Mike again, but how is that possible if she's staying engaged to him?

**tldr:** My best friend from college and her fiancé moved to my city. On our first night hanging out together he punched my friend for no apparent reason, resulting in him needing 3 stitches. Best friend refuses to acknowledge how bad this is or end the relationship. Should I end my friendship over this?

Pfft, he only assaulted your fuckbuddy, what’s the big deal?

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Aug 29, 2018

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know

Milotic posted:

Man. That is just so tragic.

I am against the idea of people being obligated to take in children, mostly because resentment could be a major factor and harm the child's upbringing. Additionally, the relationship of the couple is in serious jeopardy because it's so toxic to bring an unwanted child into the mix (personally conceived or otherwise).

The grandma has diabetes... probably type 2 because it's not mentioned otherwise. So she is obese and has limited functionality. She obviously can't care for a 4 year old. In all reality the grandma will probably be dead soon. She is right in the age range where she can expect to die of her disease.

There are basically no good choices here. So sad.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
If toxic levels of resentment arise in a situation like this you're diabolically self-centered.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

tactlessbastard posted:

If toxic levels of resentment arise in a situation like this you're diabolically self-centered.

i think so too

i mean sure there will probably be moments of it when things get hard, because they will, but drat its not like its the little girls fault. they basically have the choice to either try to give the girl the best life she can have or let her become a ward of the state

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

tactlessbastard posted:

Ah, the "anyone who doesn't want kids is a loving monster" tack.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

LadyPictureShow posted:

My [26F] friend's fiancé [27M] got drunk and assaulted my FWB [27M]. My friend is taking his side. Is this worth ending a friendship over?

Pfft, he only assaulted your fuckbuddy, what’s the big deal?

henry's kinda compounding the situation by refusing to go to the police over it.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

Defiance Industries posted:

Ah, the "anyone who doesn't want kids is a loving monster" tack.

the lady specifically said she always wanted children (this just is soon/scary), but leave it to a goony goon to not read

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

tactlessbastard posted:

nah

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

big trivia FAIL posted:

i think so too

i mean sure there will probably be moments of it when things get hard, because they will, but drat its not like its the little girls fault. they basically have the choice to either try to give the girl the best life she can have or let her become a ward of the state

I mean we can all go out right now and adopt an older child that needs help. People looking at adoption tend to only want the young ones so it's not like we don't all have the option to drastically improve someone's life. Most of us don't though :V.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

big trivia FAIL posted:

the lady specifically said she always wanted children (this just is soon/scary), but leave it to a goony goon to not read

"In a situation like this"

So no, it was about all people, everywhere

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tactlessbastard posted:

Some people just aren't ready to be parents. Other people will never be ready to be parents, but have kids anyways because of social pressure. Some people rise to the occasion and some don't.

The critical issue here is that the niece is only 4 years old. So theoretically (and extremely unfortunately this will depend on the child's skin color, I feel dirty even saying that but that is the reality) she could be easily adopted into a caring home that is spiritually ready to take her in.

So I do reject the idea that people who don't want children are diabolical. Maybe they are self-centered, but so be it. We all want the niece to get the upbringing she deserves, I'm just not sure if her best life means being adopted by family who doesn't, strictly speaking, want her, vs. an adoptive couple.

Full disclosure: my fiancee are not planning on having children. We have absolutely no resentment towards people who choose that path, we like kids and look forward to enriching our friend's children, we just aren't interested in our own.

big trivia FAIL posted:

I'm sorry that you aren't reading into the subtleties of her situation, and have therefore misunderstood her wishes. Also, even if she did want children, a lot of people want THEIR OWN children, which is arguably morally iffy but it's not up to us to make that determination for her, thanks.

Taima fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Aug 29, 2018

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

If they are willing to take on the long-term commitment, great. If not, they should offer to basically foster while putting her up for adoption. What annoys me (I volunteer in this field a bit) are people who keep the kids around until they are old enough and messed up enough that they will probably never be adopted and then dump them in the system.

Xenocides fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Aug 29, 2018

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

Absolutely. This is a key concern of mine as well. She can be adopted now. It will get rougher the longer they wait, and if they do adopt her and then, god forbid, decide to put her up for adoption later, that is going to be a huge problem.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I think it also depends at least somewhat on how long they've been helping grandma raise her. If it's 3 years I think it'd be more likely adopting her would work out than if it's 6 months.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Grandma moves with you. Problem solved

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

She will almost certainly be dead soon so I am not sure how that solves the problem? Please elaborate. Diabetes takes several years off your life expectancy and she's in her 70s.

e: and that's assuming she has the fat person version, which is actually far less dangerous than type 1.

If she has type 1, she has outlived the average age of death by several years. If she has type 2, well, she's statistically about to die.

Taima fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Aug 29, 2018

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Polyamorous Married Couple Looking to get Divorced
u/Throw_Away31815

quote:

My wife and I (also female) have found ourselves in a bit of a pickle. We have been in a triad relationship with our boyfriend for around eight months, and we just found out that in the state we live in, Illinois, adultery is illegal. 720 ILCS 5/11-35 says a little bit, but doesn't include anything about a statute of limitations, if there even is one. There is also the issue of divorce aside from this. Personally, I don't like that I am breaking the law just by being involved with someone romantically. Cursory looks into divorce in Illinois seems to indicate a status as a no-fault divorce state, and shows that we really just need to show irreconcilable differences- including maintaining separate residences for six months.

Does anyone have any advice? We could live apart for six months, or fake something, but I really don't want to do either of those options. I also don't want my marriage to affect my boyfriend if he and his ex wife go to court for a custodial agreement for his son.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Okay but problem at least deferred for a few years

Usually what kills you from diabetes is cardiovascular issues, and she doesn't mention any heart issues, so Grandma's probably got at least a little while