Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Ariong posted:

I’ve never smoked a cigarette, but I find it hard to believe that lighting suck end and sucking on the light end is that much worse than the normal way. It’s cigarette smoke either way.

Someone who smokes, enlighten me.

The filter (suck end) is a spongy piece of plastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ariong posted:

I’ve never smoked a cigarette, but I find it hard to believe that lighting suck end and sucking on the light end is that much worse than the normal way. It’s cigarette smoke either way.

Someone who smokes, enlighten me.

The filter is typically plastic fiber. Safe to put in your mouth but if you get it hot enough to burn it it might give off chemicals you don't want to be inhaling. Assuming the thing will even burn in the first place; I think they just melt so it's pretty unlikely Stimpy would actually even be able to do that.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
What most people end up doing is smoking a cigarette in a way that ends up melting the filter as they smoke normally.

Either by puffing rapidly which heats up the filter or smoking a cigarette down to the filter itself.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Henchman of Santa posted:

Honestly I don't have any memory of problematic jokes on that show but Tina Fey is white feminism personified so I wouldn't be surprised. I do want to rewatch sometime.

I ended up skipping an episode that had a joke where Pete was having sex with his passed out wife (or she could have just been asleep) but that was the only one that stood out on a recent rewatch of the series.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Smoking the filter is bad for you. Smoking it regular gets you laid.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Some heavy smokers cut the filter off the cigarettes so it can't be that bad

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

MariusLecter posted:

What most people end up doing is smoking a cigarette in a way that ends up melting the filter as they smoke normally.

Either by puffing rapidly which heats up the filter or smoking a cigarette down to the filter itself.

If you light the filter end and start to draw the smoke into your mouth, you will immediately taste something like burnt plastic but somehow worse. Very bitter. You would never inhale the smoke as your throat will close immediately.

If you smoke the cigarette "down to the filter" you're not really smoking the filter. It just looks like that. The tobacco goes past the line that delineates the filter. The only people that start to melt the filter when they smoke are people that smoke several packs a day and smoke a single cigarette in less than a minute. Most people take about 7 minutes to have a cigarette. I worked with a guy that could pound down a Marb Red in 45 seconds all the way to the filter. The cherry was the full length of the cigarette. It was nuts. He was French. He was abut 50, smoked his whole life, and never coughed.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

mostlygray posted:

He was French.

Checks out.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The filter is typically plastic fiber. Safe to put in your mouth but if you get it hot enough to burn it it might give off chemicals you don't want to be inhaling.

So it's a cigarette

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Byzantine posted:

So it's a cigarette

Cigarettes may give off chemicals that I shouldn't be inhaling, but that's not the same as chemicals I don't want to be inhaling.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The smoking scene kinda comes off as a parody of the lovingly rendered smoking you saw in classic cartoons.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

Why is there rifling in the shotgun

To be fair to John K, he probably never considered looking down the barrel of a shotgun until recently.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Detective No. 27 posted:

To be fair to John K, he probably never considered looking down the barrel of a shotgun until recently.

drat son

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Milo and POTUS posted:

Why is there rifling in the shotgun

Not a gun expert, but I seem to recall you can get rifled shotguns, if only because ‘smoothbore’ is a thing. Why qualify smoothbore if there’s no other variety?

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
rifled shotguns barrels do exist, they're used for firing slugs

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Truga posted:

rifled shotguns barrels do exist, they're used for firing slugs

Ye, been reading up on the Paradox Gun, rifled for the last 2” of the bore, for pellets or slugs, and invented by Fosbery, of Webley-Fosbery fame.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
/\/\/\ I can guarantee all of you that John K did not think this hard about the gun, he just wanted a clear-to-identify-at-a-glance cartoon shotgun.

John K is a man who should have remained an animator, and should have then just been directed by someone with better directing chops. John K obsessed too much on if it this shot or that was pushed enough/animated extremely enough to bring about his retro vision. But he also had too much ego to really let anyone take the reigns and direct, or tell him what to do in any capacity, and got his rear end canned for it.

Please enjoy this clip of him from the Adult Party commentary, calling female tv executives dykes, and scaring the poo poo outta Katie Rice each time he speak loudly/moves suddenly (at the time he was trying to gently caress her but she managed to get outta that sitch safely, no thanks to anyone else):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ria8fqPqZe8

Henchman of Santa posted:

Honestly I don't have any memory of problematic jokes on that show but Tina Fey is white feminism personified so I wouldn't be surprised. I do want to rewatch sometime.

Yeah she is. I read her book and it actually really changed 30 Rock for me, because I realized a bunch of things I thought were jokey-jokes making light of things were sincere.

B-Rock452 posted:

I ended up skipping an episode that had a joke where Pete was having sex with his passed out wife (or she could have just been asleep) but that was the only one that stood out on a recent rewatch of the series.

I remember that joke and oof yes, it's a rough one because they cut to a visual. His wife's asleep and he didn't wake her, just fucks her prone form - it's a continuation of the running joke that Pete's sex life with his wife is not really a sex life, just two people bumping genitals while thinking of other people (e.g how he reads nursing magazines and she wears headphones when they gently caress).

That joke actually got flack at the time it aired in 2011/2012 or so, and got soundly ignored as 'overly sensitive SJW's and feminists angry about our media!'. At the time 30 Rock was getting flack for being maybe not as progressive as it claimed to be.

That said, the Steve Austin episode was so prescient it's scary.

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 15:38 on Aug 29, 2018

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

POWDERED

TOAST

MAAAAAAANNNNN

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Yeah she is. I read her book and it actually really changed 30 Rock for me, because I realized a bunch of things I thought were jokey-jokes making light of things were sincere.

Could you expand on this? Because I recollect that her book got very favourable reviews. I assumed it was preaching a favourable message.

Baba Yaga Fanboy
May 18, 2011

nonathlon posted:

Could you expand on this? Because I recollect that her book got very favourable reviews. I assumed it was preaching a favourable message.

It's been a while since I read Bossypants, but I seem to remember there being a particular section on feminism and other women in Hollywood/women in business in general that was a lot less "yeah I may be successful but there are some still a lot of fuckin' problem for women in the workplace" and more "eh well I guess the roadblocks weren't too bad, I got mine."

I feel like 30 Rock, in general, has definitely aged badly because of the weird, saccharine sort of meanness in most of its episodes.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

I decided to finally watch The Wire and in the very first episode has this

quote:

Kima: Fighting the war on drugs... one brutality case at a time.
Carver: Girl, you can't even think of calling this poo poo a war.
Herc: Why not?
Carver: Wars end.

2002 eh

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017

StrangersInTheNight posted:

/\/\/\ I can guarantee all of you that John K did not think this hard about the gun, he just wanted a clear-to-identify-at-a-glance cartoon shotgun.

John K is a man who should have remained an animator, and should have then just been directed by someone with better directing chops. John K obsessed too much on if it this shot or that was pushed enough/animated extremely enough to bring about his retro vision. But he also had too much ego to really let anyone take the reigns and direct, or tell him what to do in any capacity, and got his rear end canned for it.

Please enjoy this clip of him from the Adult Party commentary, calling female tv executives dykes, and scaring the poo poo outta Katie Rice each time he speak loudly/moves suddenly (at the time he was trying to gently caress her but she managed to get outta that sitch safely, no thanks to anyone else):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ria8fqPqZe8

I remember being in high school and briefly thinking "John K's great, I am a fan, those jerk TV people should let him do his thing" and then every single thing I watched/read of him would just be a slow trickle of "Oh wait, he's kind of an rear end in a top hat, oh wait, he's deluded, oh wait, his ideas about cartoons are actually stupid, oh wait, he's a weird conservative babyman with daddy issues, oh wait, he actually completely sucks at cartoons"

And THEN I finally saw that Katie Rice video and "Oh wait, he's also a gigantic loving creep, welp"

The moral is never be a fan of anyone, good night

Sarcopenia
May 14, 2014
One thing that always bothered me about 30 Rock were the jokes surrounding Dot Com and Toofer always being about how it is totally hilarious that black men can be emotional, intelligent and well spoken.

And Tina Fey defending Tracy Morgan after his extremely homophobic "joke" about stabbing his son to death if he came out and "god not making mistakes" put her on my "nah gently caress you" list.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

londonarbuckle posted:

I remember being in high school and briefly thinking "John K's great, I am a fan, those jerk TV people should let him do his thing" and then every single thing I watched/read of him would just be a slow trickle of "Oh wait, he's kind of an rear end in a top hat, oh wait, he's deluded, oh wait, his ideas about cartoons are actually stupid, oh wait, he's a weird conservative babyman with daddy issues, oh wait, he actually completely sucks at cartoons"

And THEN I finally saw that Katie Rice video and "Oh wait, he's also a gigantic loving creep, welp"

The moral is never be a fan of anyone, good night

Yeah iirc back in the day there was a pretty referenced interview in film threat magazine where K drew on a picture of Bob Camp crying fake tears and clutching dollars which was the received wisdom for most people at the time. The other stuff came to light later

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

nonathlon posted:

Her response to actual nazis holding rallies with torches and violence against peaceful counterprotestors was also not great...

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017

Scaramouche posted:

Yeah iirc back in the day there was a pretty referenced interview in film threat magazine where K drew on a picture of Bob Camp crying fake tears and clutching dollars which was the received wisdom for most people at the time. The other stuff came to light later

Oh yeah, I remember reading a long rundown years and years ago (maybe the one you're referencing?) of how John K got fired that extensively painted Bob Camp as the villain, which I believed at the time. But the more I actually learned about him after that the more opposite of reality it clearly was. But his cult of personality eats that poo poo up. He's quite a good manipulator, it turns out.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

londonarbuckle posted:

Oh yeah, I remember reading a long rundown years and years ago (maybe the one you're referencing?) of how John K got fired that extensively painted Bob Camp as the villain, which I believed at the time. But the more I actually learned about him after that the more opposite of reality it clearly was. But his cult of personality eats that poo poo up. He's quite a good manipulator, it turns out.

You can hear it in that creepy clip where he talks about kids enjoying and wanting to see nudity and sex because they’re mature enough to handle it, then prompting Rice to describe drawings she made when she was 15 and praising them. That’s like textbook grooming behavior, even though he’s just describing things in a video (that have nothing to do with the cartoon he’s supposed to be introducing). I would be surprised if there were only two victims.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

B-Rock452 posted:

Her response to actual nazis holding rallies with torches and violence against peaceful counterprotestors was also not great...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVvpXZxXWZU if anyone wants to suffer through it

Great Metal Jesus
Jun 11, 2007

Got no use for psychiatry
I can talk to the voices
in my head for free
Mood swings like an axe
Into those around me
My tongue is a double agent

While this was pretty loving awful I was actually impressed to see her address it directly when she was interviewed by David Letterman. The takeaway was "yeah I hosed up and hard" and I don't really recall any beating around the bush about it.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Well, she was right insofar as she could manage to ignore nazis and have her life remain exactly the same.

That segment was so lovely that people started calling it satirical of the cowardly liberal position, which I guess it could be if you ignore intent of the cowardly liberals who wrote and performed it.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Detective No. 27 posted:

lmbo

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

I don't get the controversy about that bit though. Like who are these people who are Tina Fey fans but are completely oblivious to selfdepricating humor.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
The whole "bitch is the new black" thing in 08 was also really questionable

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
Weekend update is always the worst part of SNL.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Not TV, exactly, but in some of his specials, George Carlin is very much "old man yells at cloud". I still think he's very funny, but the stuff just before his death feels has a very bitter and angry feeling to it. There's still some good stuff in there, but not enough of it.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Yeah especially since the current iteration is a boring wasp and a libertarian douche bro.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Leavemywife posted:

Not TV, exactly, but in some of his specials, George Carlin is very much "old man yells at cloud". I still think he's very funny, but the stuff just before his death feels has a very bitter and angry feeling to it. There's still some good stuff in there, but not enough of it.

What 9/11 did to old conservatives, the bush administration did to Carlin (for good reason, admittedly). I'm glad he didn't live to see Trump.

e: I also think Trump broke Colbert completely

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Milo and POTUS posted:

What 9/11 did to old conservatives, the bush administration did to Carlin (for good reason, admittedly). I'm glad he didn't live to see Trump.

e: I also think Trump broke Colbert completely

You can see his poo poo collapse on that live show he did on election night. I think he even says something like "all of my gags were built on the premise that America had a conscience."

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Leavemywife posted:

His humor was always cynical but over time he got less and less funny for pretty much the same reason I don't make fun of conservatives anymore. The reality got more absurd than the joke. It's depressing how prescient his old stuff was. As everything went continually more crazy he told fewer jokes and mostly just bitched.

Which was still entertaining in how insightful it was but at the same time was wrapped in a lot of "we became everything we hated and hope is dead."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
One Carlin joke from his last decade is still really good. The one about how you can always be worse off by describing your ills and then saying you have a cold on the end of it. Really good for deflating self-importance.