Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bolind posted:

My two new least favorite kind of drivers:

People who slowly creep over the line at a red, and then when the light turns green takes three seconds to get moving. What the gently caress.

People laaaaaaazily accelerating away from a light, only to eventually hit 170% of the posted speed. Probably related to the people who take 30 seconds to complete a motorway lane change.

Don't forget slow turners. Start slowing down way too soon then come an almost complete halt before turning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

xzzy posted:

Don't forget slow turners. Start slowing down way too soon then come an almost complete halt before turning.

They might flip their suv!!!!!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We can hope

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

xzzy posted:

I was just talking about these kinds of people on a neighborhood forum and dug up this video as an example for a few who didn't understand.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZ84EMxXzXc

On top of turning slower than a turtle fucks they didn't bother putting their signal on until they were right on top of the turn.

Of course at least two people in the neighborhood defended the actions seen in the video and tried to argue it'd be rude to honk at them.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

spog posted:

I am guessing she has zero shame about being a dangerous driver who will likely maim someone in the future.

I told her how I feel about being a distracted driver. Maybe this was the wake-up call she needed.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

InitialDave posted:

THAT WILL BE AN IMPORTANT LESSON

Do you want to know what lesson I learned?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

wolrah posted:

Of course at least two people in the neighborhood defended the actions seen in the video and tried to argue it'd be rude to honk at them.

Too bad it's indefensible. People that buy giant vehicles then can't handle them should be relegated to using a moped the rest of their life.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

wolrah posted:

I was just talking about these kinds of people on a neighborhood forum and dug up this video as an example for a few who didn't understand.

All I can think is they're transporting an almost-full aquarium in the back. Although I can't imagine why.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Do you want to know what lesson I learned?
Read more Pratchett?

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

wolrah posted:

My best guess is they were immediately hoping to go left as soon as they pulled in the parking lot and literally had no idea what to do since they were blocked.... before they realizing they could go behind the people turning.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
https://i.imgur.com/y1ahNeu.gifv

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

xzzy posted:

Too bad it's indefensible. People that buy giant vehicles then can't handle them should be relegated to using a moped the rest of their life.
Agreed 100%. If you can't take a turn in to a driveway at a reasonable speed it means one or more of the following:

1. You suck as a driver.
2. Your vehicle is unsafe.
3. You have a load which is not properly secured.

slidebite posted:

My best guess is they were immediately hoping to go left as soon as they pulled in the parking lot and literally had no idea what to do since they were blocked.... before they realizing they could go behind the people turning.
Maybe, but I see people doing stuff like that all the time where they slow down to almost a complete stop to take a turn that their vehicle is entirely capable of handling at full road speed. Driveways are the most common location but it sometimes happens at normal city intersections between two 25 MPH roads where basically anything could make the turn without even slowing down.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you don't hear your tires chirping, you can take the corner faster. :rice:

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
I'm guilty of 3 pretty often with the stuff in my van, but I still take turns at like 4x the speed of the suv in that video, goddamn

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Sometimes there are pedestrians in between the driveway and the lane of traffic. Or cross traffic. Or a blind corner.

Seriously are you advocating doing 25mph into driveways? That seems loving outrageous.

E: rereading your post, I see kinda what you're saying but holy poo poo, please slow down to turn safely. Thank you, on behalf of cyclists and pedestrians everywhere.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Are they riding bicycles on a highway?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Snow Cone Capone posted:

Are they riding bicycles on a highway?

Russia.

Truck didn't get off on the exit lane

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Wasabi the J posted:

Seriously are you advocating doing 25mph into driveways? That seems loving outrageous.

E: rereading your post, I see kinda what you're saying but holy poo poo, please slow down to turn safely. Thank you, on behalf of cyclists and pedestrians everywhere.

No of course not, I'm just saying that in most cases it'd be physically possible for the vehicle to do it without losing control, thus there isn't a good reason for someone to slow to near zero. Slow a reasonable amount, but if you're slow enough that someone behind you with a manual transmission would need to shift in to first to not stall you've almost certainly slowed too much. Obviously if there is a pedestrian, cyclist, other traffic, or any obstruction you may need to stop, but that's not what we're talking about here. We're talking about people who choose to slow excessively in an otherwise free-flowing situation.

sleepy.eyes
Sep 14, 2007

Like a pig in a chute.
There's a turn near me where -everyone- brakes. Even coming off a red light where you can get up to maybe 20 before taking the turn, almost every person I've ever seen brakes to about 15 MPH. It's maddening and fucks up everyone stuck behind them so they miss the light.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Maker Of Shoes posted:

They might flip their suv!!!!!

I have yet to see an SUV make a slow turn here in MA. Only seen sedans do it. And they do it at protected turns and unprotected turns where NO ONE is around but them.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

huge pile of hamburger posted:

feel free to fall off a cliff

You first, preferably from a height that makes your username relevant

slidebite posted:

Or it's more simple, like they're too stupid or timid to drive, or they don't maintain their car so even a 5mph turn will make their shitbox roll & crumple into a heap

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

OptimusShr posted:

I have yet to see an SUV make a slow turn here in MA. Only seen sedans do it. And they do it at protected turns and unprotected turns where NO ONE is around but them.

I saw it today. Pulling into my apartment complex the woman in front of me literally stopped in the road to take a right turn, and crawled through it at a pace similar to the idiot featured in that video.

MattO
Oct 10, 2003

who doesn't transport their aquarium in a gimbal sheesh

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

bolind posted:

My two new least favorite kind of drivers:

People who slowly creep over the line at a red, and then when the light turns green takes three seconds to get moving. What the gently caress.

People laaaaaaazily accelerating away from a light, only to eventually hit 170% of the posted speed. Probably related to the people who take 30 seconds to complete a motorway lane change.

All these people must gently caress off and die, it is known.

Also people who stop and then slowly creep forward whilst stopped at a red signal. I don't know what the hell is wrong with their loving heads, but their ironic punishment in hell will to be drive Uber in a car with a heavy, yet extremely touchy, clutch pedal.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
I saw it all today, made me want a dash cam so bad.

Landscapers with an empty trailer, I was keeping my distance since I know that's a source of gravel, and bam, he hits a bump and I'm like watching bogeys in asteroid.

Oversize load, it was an entire loving log gazebo. On the 3 lane portion of I-25 he was in the right lane, and most people were passing him in the far left lane, and I, like some kind of idiot was in the middle lane since there was plenty of room there to pass. Someone decided gently caress that and zoomed up in the left lane, cut me off, then got on the bumper of the car ahead and cut hard back into the left lane. Careless behavior especially when a marked oversize load was in the right lane.

Roofer with a gooseneck dump towing a second gooseneck dump. Can't possibly be legal but maybe?

Another oversize load lost a tire on the far back drivers side, rear axle of the trailer. Which apparently overloaded or shredded the other tire on the set of duals. Lots of us fighting bits of tire in the road and none of us brave enough to pass. He went on for another 3-4 miles, sometimes adding a lot of rubber smoke to the air. Eventually I noticed he was wearing a GROOVE into the pavement, he made it another mile and pulled off. I bet he went from Harmony Road to the Thunder Mountain Harley, 7 miles.

Finally, at E-470 and I-25, a VW Jetta Wagon (maybe?) which was a Rolling Smoke Wall. Absolutely billowing white smoke, total shitshow on the freeway like driving through a cloud. He was like a vaping douche of a car. I couldn't loving believe it and I'm glad I was ahead of him. Must have gone 3-4 miles like that. Reminded me of those planes in the pacific theater that could drop a smoke wall.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

OptimusShr posted:

Around here the SUVs and trucks tend to do a different annoying thing where they slow to a crawl for speed bumps and railroad tracks. Somehow their Raptor with it's desert racing suspension just isn't enough to suck up a 3" tall bump that my Fiesta with rock hard "make it feel sporty" suspension just cruises right over.

I don't get it, back when I drove a truck on 31" tires that was most of the fun of driving it on the street, being able to basically pretend the bumps aren't there because the tall sidewalls and floppy suspension just leveled 'em out.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

wolrah posted:

On top of turning slower than a turtle fucks they didn't bother putting their signal on until they were right on top of the turn.

I like the people who swing wide when making a turn, like their sedan is some massive tractor-trailer that couldn't possibly make that 15-foot curb return without oversteering to the left in order to turn right.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

wolrah posted:

Around here the SUVs and trucks tend to do a different annoying thing where they slow to a crawl for speed bumps and railroad tracks. Somehow their Raptor with it's desert racing suspension just isn't enough to suck up a 3" tall bump that my Fiesta with rock hard "make it feel sporty" suspension just cruises right over.

I don't get it, back when I drove a truck on 31" tires that was most of the fun of driving it on the street, being able to basically pretend the bumps aren't there because the tall sidewalls and floppy suspension just leveled 'em out.

I'll introduce you to my new theory: most drivers are extremely stupid, and hate the act of driving itself, hence they do not even consider doing fun things in their vehicle.

This also explains why they crawl up merge lanes when going WOT in such a place is both advisable and fun. I thought it might be because I've just driven overpowered cars for a while, but it turns out it's fun as gently caress to do that poo poo in trucks and SUVs too, when I rent them.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I assume the speedbump thing is because the bump feels bigger due to sitting up higher and the increased weight of the vehicle causing it to jostle more before it settles back down.

I've never driven a land yacht though so this is just a guess. :v:

Biggest thing I've driven is a crosstrek and it smooths out speedbumps like they're nothing.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
its me, the guy in the CUV going a little slow over a speed bump. not like nearly stopped but maybe a little slower than I'd go over it in my neon and its mostly because I keep a small tool set and full size jack bungied in the back to keep it from sliding around but baja'ing the speedbumps in front of the local grocery store would cause that stuff to explode everywhere. its plenty secure for regular driving and crawling around the desert but I would like to eventually measure out and punch some anchor holes through the floor/tire cover back there for some vertical strap points.

I will make any compromise to never have to use scissor/suicide jacks ever again.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

xzzy posted:

I assume the speedbump thing is because the bump feels bigger due to sitting up higher and the increased weight of the vehicle causing it to jostle more before it settles back down.

Biggest thing I've driven is a crosstrek and it smooths out speedbumps like they're nothing.

Nah, just he opposite in my experience. When I was a teen/young adult returning from college every now and then I'd end up driving my mom's Explorer when I was home because something broke on my car/my parents needed me to pick up something or some reason. I *haaated* it so much because I simply could not feel the ground. After driving a PT Cruiser, and before that an older, smaller Explorer (before they got all steroid puffy) I got used to being able to feel the road through the vibration of the pedals/seat. The newer Explorer? Felt like I was driving a loving hovercraft: unless I put the pedal to the metal over a speed bump I simply did not feel poo poo.

I told my mom this when she asked me why I hated driving her car so much and she was all "But I like it that way!" and I'm pretty sure she legit fell into the group of people who hate driving but liked having the ability to get themselves from point A to point B. I was flabberghasted at her response because that was taking away a channel of information for me: being able to feel the road through the tires tells me what the car and most importantly what the tires are doing. On that puffy, giant Ford Explorer you wouldn't be able to tell if the wheels had lost friction from ice or hydroplaning until the fat SUV started to slide into a ditch.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

gently caress you, left turning guy.

We're on opposite sides of a main road, exiting strip malls. I'm turning right and he's turning left. I made the egregious mistake of assuming people turning right have right of way and begin my turn when a hole opens.

Then I get to listen to five seconds of horn because he had decided to go too and I guess he felt like I cut him off or something. We ended up next to each other at the next light, lots of masculine glaring at each other took place.

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Devor posted:

I like the people who swing wide when making a turn, like their sedan is some massive tractor-trailer that couldn't possibly make that 15-foot curb return without oversteering to the left in order to turn right.

Hey we're all just trying to hit the apex and power out!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

PT6A posted:

I'll introduce you to my new theory: most drivers are extremely stupid, and hate the act of driving itself, hence they do not even consider doing fun things in their vehicle.
Definitely agree with you there. To a lot of people a car is just a driving appliance, it's something they need to have to get from A to B and nothing more.

The number of Chevy Equinoxes, Dodge Journeys, and other horrible but cheap and practical vehicles on the road agrees with that. You can pretty safely assume that anyone driving one of those does not actually give a gently caress about driving.

quote:

This also explains why they crawl up merge lanes when going WOT in such a place is both advisable and fun. I thought it might be because I've just driven overpowered cars for a while, but it turns out it's fun as gently caress to do that poo poo in trucks and SUVs too, when I rent them.
Hell, to me underpowered cars can be more fun in day-to-day driving since you can feel like you're driving the poo poo out of them while remaining safe and mostly legal.

xzzy posted:

I learned to drive in the aforementioned F-150 on 31s and my first personally owned car was a Crown Vic so I can definitely say that height and weight on soft springs do lead to jostling, but ironically for those who slow down to avoid it the jostle effect was more pronounced at low speeds because at higher speeds the inertia of the body combines with suspension travel to mostly neutralize it.

IMO every combination of vehicle and bump has a sweet spot on speed where you're hitting the bump hard enough to actually use the suspension and minimize the jostling of a low speed approach while still not hitting it so hard that you bottom out or start to get airborne. It's basically just a matter of learning your vehicle and roads to figure out your specific speed. Airtime itself of course does tend to be smooth, but without an appropriate ramp on the far side the landing is usually rough. I'll just leave the implications for certain railroad crossings with angled approaches to the reader.

Alkydere posted:

I told my mom this when she asked me why I hated driving her car so much and she was all "But I like it that way!" and I'm pretty sure she legit fell into the group of people who hate driving but liked having the ability to get themselves from point A to point B. I was flabberghasted at her response because that was taking away a channel of information for me: being able to feel the road through the tires tells me what the car and most importantly what the tires are doing. On that puffy, giant Ford Explorer you wouldn't be able to tell if the wheels had lost friction from ice or hydroplaning until the fat SUV started to slide into a ditch.
Totally with you on this one. My grandma used to have a Buick Park Avenue and later a Cadillac DeVille. I hated driving those because of the lack of road feel. I'd always end up speeding excessively on the highway because I couldn't feel how fast we were going, then in the city it always felt like the steering wheel was more of a vague suggestion kind of like the "manual" shift options on most automatics. Somehow she claimed the Buick "rode like a bus".

xzzy posted:

gently caress you, left turning guy.

We're on opposite sides of a main road, exiting strip malls. I'm turning right and he's turning left. I made the egregious mistake of assuming people turning right have right of way and begin my turn when a hole opens.

Then I get to listen to five seconds of horn because he had decided to go too and I guess he felt like I cut him off or something. We ended up next to each other at the next light, lots of masculine glaring at each other took place.
Right of way in this situation is actually somewhat unclear if you both arrived at the same time. If he was there first it's his to take, but simultaneous arrival at a multi-way stop is supposed to to go the rightmost vehicle which doesn't really mean anything useful when considering opposite sides of an intersection. In Ohio left turners are supposed to yield to oncoming traffic but only if they're already in the intersection or are "so close [...] as to constitute an immediate hazard" so it's not really clear if that would apply to stopped traffic waiting their turn.

Given the rarity of an opening on both sides compared to an opening on one side and the vagueness at least in my local laws I'd lean towards letting the left turner have it if you both got there at the same time, but I'm not sure how the law views it in other states and I'm sure most of us in this thread understand how predictability is usually more important than being nice when it comes to right-of-way issues.

The better strategy of course is to avoid turning left at non-protected intersections wherever practical.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

wolrah posted:

Right of way in this situation is actually somewhat unclear if you both arrived at the same time. If he was there first it's his to take, but simultaneous arrival at a multi-way stop is supposed to to go the rightmost vehicle which doesn't really mean anything useful when considering opposite sides of an intersection. In Ohio left turners are supposed to yield to oncoming traffic but only if they're already in the intersection or are "so close [...] as to constitute an immediate hazard" so it's not really clear if that would apply to stopped traffic waiting their turn.

Given the rarity of an opening on both sides compared to an opening on one side and the vagueness at least in my local laws I'd lean towards letting the left turner have it if you both got there at the same time, but I'm not sure how the law views it in other states and I'm sure most of us in this thread understand how predictability is usually more important than being nice when it comes to right-of-way issues.

The better strategy of course is to avoid turning left at non-protected intersections wherever practical.
It's not ambiguous if they arrived at the same time, the left turner can potentially cause an accident if the opposing car is going straight or a right turn, only avoided if they're also going left, so they yield.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

wolrah posted:

Agreed 100%. If you can't take a turn in to a driveway at a reasonable speed it means one or more of the following:

1. You suck as a driver.
2. Your vehicle is unsafe.
3. You have a load which is not properly secured.

Maybe, but I see people doing stuff like that all the time where they slow down to almost a complete stop to take a turn that their vehicle is entirely capable of handling at full road speed. Driveways are the most common location but it sometimes happens at normal city intersections between two 25 MPH roads where basically anything could make the turn without even slowing down.

As an auto tech, I drive thousands of cars every year. I am respectful of them, since they are somebody's property, so my test drives are much gentler than the way I drive my own car. Yet, even though I am accelerating/braking/cornering at a slower rate than I would in my own vehicle, many people have loose stuff flying around. The video posted above matches how I picture them driving.

Flint Ironstag fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Aug 31, 2018

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Alkydere posted:

I told my mom this when she asked me why I hated driving her car so much and she was all "But I like it that way!" and I'm pretty sure she legit fell into the group of people who hate driving but liked having the ability to get themselves from point A to point B.

This is where an excellent public transit network comes into play, but that's anathema in most parts of America. So we have cars that effectively serve as La-Z-Boy recliners for disinterested people to spend hours staring at scenery or playing with their smartphones and tablets. And our roads and driver education are designed to accommodate those people.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

BovineFury posted:

quote:

A four-door Tesla crossed the steep Little Avenue railway tracks at a high rate of speed Tuesday evening and became airborne before losing control and crashing into the parking lot of Assikinack Public School.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xFji9-xgMw

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Autopilot taking it's job a little too seriously :haw:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
[/quote]

Heh, I can't read that as anything other than rear end'n'Crack