Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

DJExile posted:

show of hands, who had the best twitter meltdown of 2018 as coming from someone other than trump or musk because god drat

Musk potentially committing securities fraud via weed joke still seems like the winner here but holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

Musk potentially committing securities fraud via weed joke still seems like the winner here but holy poo poo

yeah i figured that was gonna be the runaway winner but... man it's close now

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/ChadLeistikow/status/1034884958173704192?s=19

This seems much better than playing Penn State every year

Also lol that the other regular west contenders get OSU and Michigan

MourningView fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Aug 29, 2018

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
I'm good with Michigan/Nebraska. Hopefully Nebraska is competitive by then. I was a little bummed after the conference realignment because Nebraska wouldn't be playing either Michigan school regularly.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

oh my god pity the poor c-team souls broadcasting those mammoth Indiana/Purdue matchups on BTN

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Permanent crossover rivals are dumb. You should be able to play every other member of your conference at home at least every four years.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Edward Mass posted:

Permanent crossover rivals are dumb. You should be able to play every other member of your conference at home at least every four years.

They want to protect Indiana/Purdue as an annual thing, which is good because it's an old rivalry with a cool trophy that means a lot to both schools, but I don't understand why they bother with it otherwise.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
Cross-division rivalries exist to protect rivalries like, say, Alabama-Tennessee that would otherwise get swept away in the dustpan of history, but in the process they create a bunch of nonsensical fake rivalries like South Carolina and TAMU, and there's nothing more lame than a fake rivalry.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

old oaken bucket is a pretty rad trophy, i'll give them that

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.

DJExile posted:

old oaken bucket is a pretty rad trophy, i'll give them that

you bet your sweet rear end it is, and its covered in P too.

wernox
Mar 26, 2001

I gave up my OG title for this.
all P

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Jivesauce
Nov 22, 2007

Oh, this one? :smugdog:

If I'm being honest I can't imagine how hard it was to arrange it in such a way that it looks like IU won that many games in close proximity.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Pakled posted:

Cross-division rivalries exist to protect rivalries like, say, Alabama-Tennessee that would otherwise get swept away in the dustpan of history, but in the process they create a bunch of nonsensical fake rivalries like South Carolina and TAMU, and there's nothing more lame than a fake rivalry.

Yeah, the SEC has twisted itself into a bunch of weird scheduling scenarios to protect Alabama's rivalries. It's really annoying.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
There are two important cross-divisional rivalries in the SEC, and there are ten schools that are in Pair the Spares mode. Go on, tell me who Mississippi State’s cross-divisional opponent is, I’ll wait.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
how are they "our" rivalries. It takes two teams. Does Georgia-Auburn count for this sec conspiracy? The mind reels

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

UF-LSU is cool and good I want to play them every year, but locked cross-divisional matchups are dumb.

round robin baybeeeeee

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
" I don't want to play cool games with hundreds of years of history every football season, because actually, that means Mississippi state has to play Kentucky or some poo poo every year, and, I am a smart person, "

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Cross-division also helps the logistics of scheduling for the Big 10. Fitting 7 teams in 3 slots doesn't get as nice of a rotation as 6 teams in 2 slots. Either way, it'd take 3 years to play everyone. Also, having the cross division makes it easy to denote which division gets the extra road or home game.

No you overthink it shut up nerd.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

MourningView posted:

https://twitter.com/ChadLeistikow/status/1034884958173704192?s=19

This seems much better than playing Penn State every year

Also lol that the other regular west contenders get OSU and Michigan

Thank god, I can't take any more Ohio State-Illinois inexplicably in prime time games. Saying gently caress this poo poo I'm going to bed when it's 38-0 at halftime makes me feel super old and lame.

If there were only some way to put Rutgers and possibly Maryland in the West I'd be all set.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

RumbleFish posted:

Yeah, the SEC has twisted itself into a bunch of weird scheduling scenarios to protect Alabama's rivalries. It's really annoying.

What?

Tennessee is the only historical cross division rival, the rest are in division and they play them every year. The only twisting the scheduling goes through is to have the UT-Bama game on the Third Saturday of October every year.

e: I get what's being said with the other BS rivalries but I don't see how that's Bama's (or by extention, Tennessee) fault.

Joey Freshwater fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Aug 29, 2018

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious

RumbleFish posted:

I've hated Arkansas forever*!

*since 2014 or some poo poo

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Feleipe Franks is up to 240 lbs now. Maybe he'll last longer than I thought:

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/sports/florida-gators/swamp-things-blog/os-sp-gators-starting-qb-20180827-story.html

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

:captainpop:

Yowza that’s a big boy.

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
gently caress Zach Smith. Just like every other DV rear end in a top hat I've encountered, he's trying to bring his kids in as ammunition.

Also some ppl were having fun with SCars uniform video this morning :]

https://twitter.com/dcoreyryan/status/1034857386241130496?s=19

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Oh yes, come to me memes. There's going to be some good ones

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://i.imgur.com/Nylun5D.mp4

hook em

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮
Chicks dig the long horn

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.
Harbaugh is funny in this.

https://youtu.be/KkjZ4iiKxM4

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Even if Penn State takes some steps backwards and Illinois takes some steps forward, Illinois still got completely hosed on that one.

Although I guess they had like a 50/50 shot on getting someone that will slaughter them year in and year out

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

It's someone looked at cornhole and went "Ya know what? Not weird enough."

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Scarf posted:

gently caress Zach Smith. Just like every other DV rear end in a top hat I've encountered, he's trying to bring his kids in as ammunition.

Also some ppl were having fun with SCars uniform video this morning :]

https://twitter.com/dcoreyryan/status/1034857386241130496?s=19

Gotta say I'm not sure why they went with a water theme for that video. Guess the media team just wanted to hang out on Lake Murray.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

selective breeding is a thing and all but god drat that thing would probably be pretty useless in nature

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007

Edward Mass posted:

There are two important cross-divisional rivalries in the SEC, and there are ten schools that are in Pair the Spares mode. Go on, tell me who Mississippi State’s cross-divisional opponent is, I’ll wait.

gently caress kentucky

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

https://twitter.com/goldyeller/status/1034950794326331393

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Good poo poo right there

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

ALL THOSE COWS LOOK LIKE TIM BECK LOOKING AT AN OFFENSIVE PLAY THAT GAINED MORE THAN FIVE YARDS

gently caress

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
https://twitter.com/LarryWilliamsTI/status/1034965241203970049?s=19

gently caress I want this on my tombstone

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

This call sucks. The announcer should be losing his loving mind by the end of it.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Seeing that made me want to relive TFF's immediate reaction

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3589652&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=154

Starts towards the bottom of this page, requires archives I think

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I was at a friend's house during that Iron Bowl watching various games with her entire extended family, who are all Notre Dame fans and were in for Thanksgiving. ND was starting a game against Stanford right as that game was coming down to the wire and I was receiving texts from my dad about how tight the game was. I managed to demand that they watch Bama's final drive of regulation and fortunately we got to see the Kick Six happen live, and all these Hawaiian Notre Dame fans in Michigan went bananas for Auburn.

Wish I had the screenshot of a sportswriter's twitter timeline that was a bunch of people going "AAAHHH HOLY poo poo AHAFHOASHFOHWEH gently caress YOU" and one lonely update about Minnesota hockey in the middle of it.

Henchman of Santa fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Aug 30, 2018

• Locked thread