Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Linear Zoetrope posted:

Sounds like something you'd need to ask an IP lawyer.

This is the safest of answers. There is not necessarily much of a case to be made that using the same magic numbers in the same sequence creates a derivative work if it's reimplemented from scratch. That said, for maximal rear end-coverage and if you have a helpful friend and are willing to document, you can white-box reverse engineer it--exhaustively document the protocol, hand the document to that friend, have that friend implement it. By doing so you will probably be, at minimum, too much of a pain in the rear end to sue, but I am not a lawyer (just somebody who deals with software IP a lot) and you should consult one if you're that worried.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Of course IANAL however the general rule is supposed to be that a programmatic operation that doesn't have the possibility of individual expression (can in practice only be done correctly one way) is not copyrightable. Still check with a lawyer.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
My intuition is that if these are a bunch of magic numbers you need to initialize the hardware, I can't imagine implementing it in any way short of linking/copy+pasting the offending code would screw you, but it's also a really weird situation hence the IP lawyer safety advice.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Are the magic numbers themselves copyrighted?

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

ultrafilter posted:

Are the magic numbers themselves copyrighted?

I don't believe so. The datasheet I found has them. Although the funny thing is the source I was looking at is marginally different. It seems to omit a few steps.

The datasheet is pretty abysmal. I've been putting together a list of register and bit names in a header from where they have been mentioned in init steps. I think everything should be good if I work from the datasheet.

What I'm doing isn't secret or anything. I am however being intentionally vague to cover my behind. I'm not going to make a cent from what I'm writing and I doubt anyone anywhere will ever. The source will be available to download when it's working just like the rest is. It's just the license is different. Seriously, gently caress license incompatibility bullshit.

e: I wrote my own based off the datasheet. No idea if it works yet. I can't test it until I implement, or at least port some driver software from another platform. That's a work in progress. I'm in the mysteriously breaking included files stage.

General_Failure fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 26, 2018

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
Can anyone recommend any books on (about) the PDF format and print documents in general?

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Plank Walker posted:

Can anyone recommend any books on (about) the PDF format and print documents in general?

i think this qualifies as a book?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It certainly would if you printed it out.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Are any of the books in this machine learning humble bundle good enough to justify buying the bundle?

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

Are any of the books in this machine learning humble bundle good enough to justify buying the bundle?

While I do not know the books themselves how good or bad they are, the subjects though are definitely worth $15. For this money I wouldn't even blink given what information is offered.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

No idea about any of the books, but gently caress it, it's $15.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Thermopyle posted:

Its a bunch of O'Reily books, can't really go wrong. They may not be the best possible books on those subjects but they'll be decent and good references if nothing else.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Thermopyle posted:

i've been doing machine learning stuff at work and the subject is changing so fast that the books are mostly out of date. i got further along just by grabbing machine learning examples off of github.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

Thermopyle posted:

The deep learning book was recommended as an intro text by a researcher who presented a thing at GDC?

You’re going to need to read white papers a/o random github code for cutting edge stuff though.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
This is sort of silly to ask, but I'm genuinely curious about what the general consensus thinks about this after a discussion today at work. Is Hungarian notation in C#/VIsual Studio worth doing? All the devs hate it and the bosses demand it.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Magnetic North posted:

This is sort of silly to ask, but I'm genuinely curious about what the general consensus thinks about this after a discussion today at work. Is Hungarian notation in C#/VIsual Studio worth doing? All the devs hate it and the bosses demand it.

Like sUsername and dPrice and xXmlInput? Totally loving useless, and deeply offensive to all with a modicum of taste

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
If you need the type hints, then you need either a better IDE or a faster compiler.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Magnetic North posted:

Hungarian notation

NO

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Hungarian notation is actually pretty different from what the guy who invented it intended, and what he proposed actually would be useful. The prefix is meant to be an informal descriptor of how the variable is used, not its type. The example he gave was (I think) something like this:
code:
int pxRowHeight;  // Height of row in pixels
int lcRowsInDisplay; // Number of rows in display

cout << pxRowHeight +  lcRowsInDisplay << endl;
Even though that's legal code as far as the compiler is concerned, it doesn't make sense, and the prefix system is supposed to clue you in to that fact.

Unfortunately somewhere along the way it got mutated to represent the type, and now it's a complete travesty.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Rookie question: Reading random programming articles, the impression that I get is Rust is so much safer than C. Lots of blogs keep reinforcing this. As someone who has never really delved in to low-level programming, is it that hard to write safe C? Do modern C books, tutorials etc... promote safe C coding or is it really that easy to shoot yourself in the foot?

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

what does this mean

Hughmoris posted:

Do modern C books, tutorials etc... promote safe C coding or is it really that easy to shoot yourself in the foot?

Short answer, yes. I guess with the addition of all the bounds-checked functions that they added in C11 (such as gets_s), you could argue that "modern C" is trying to be more safe. But C still lets you do a lot of crazy things that you shouldn't do and that you didn't intend to do.

Also, I don't think anyone uses all those functions that end in _s.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

You can write safe C code, but you have to work at it.

You can write unsafe Rust code, but you have to work at it.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

qsvui posted:

what does this mean

and/or

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

ultrafilter posted:

Even though that's legal code as far as the compiler is concerned, it doesn't make sense, and the prefix system is supposed to clue you in to that fact.

Unfortunately somewhere along the way it got mutated to represent the type, and now it's a complete travesty.
Why not make them actual types and have a hard failure instead of a "hint" though? I've never understood this reliance on someone's eyeballs to catch these cases, it seems strictly worse.

OP, when you're making your case to management, is it "we hate it" or "we hate it and it's useless for what you want"?

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Magnetic North posted:

quoting Bjarne Stroustrup, who is talking about C++, but it applies to C# as well

http://www.stroustrup.com/bs_faq2.html#Hungarian

quote:

No I don't recommend "Hungarian". I regard "Hungarian" (embedding an abbreviated version of a type in a variable name) a technique that can be useful in untyped languages, but is completely unsuitable for a language that supports generic programming and object-oriented programming - both of which emphasize selection of operations based on the type an arguments (known to the language or to the run-time support). In this case, "building the type of an object into names" simply complicates and minimizes abstraction. To various extent, I have similar problems with every scheme that embeds information about language-technical details (e.g., scope, storage class, syntactic category) into names. I agree that in some cases, building type hints into variable names can be helpful, but in general, and especially as software evolves, this becomes a maintenance hazard and a serious detriment to good code. Avoid it as the plague.

So, I don't like naming a variable after its type; what do I like and recommend? Name a variable (function, type, whatever) based on what it is or does. Choose meaningful name; that is, choose names that will help people understand your program. Even you will have problems understanding what your program is supposed to do if you litter it with variables with easy-to-type names like x1, x2, s3, and p7. Abbreviations and acronyms can confuse people, so use them sparingly. Acronyms should be used sparingly. Consider, mtbf, TLA, myw, RTFM, and NBV. They are obvious, but wait a few months and even I will have forgotten at least one.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook

JawnV6 posted:

Why not make them actual types and have a hard failure instead of a "hint" though? I've never understood this reliance on someone's eyeballs to catch these cases, it seems strictly worse.

OP, when you're making your case to management, is it "we hate it" or "we hate it and it's useless for what you want"?

TBF, there's only so much you can do with most type systems, even really good ones. For instance, type systems for unit analysis doesn't tend to work well at compile time because you end up having to implement things like unit cancelling, specially named units, and compound units by hand for each unit you want to add to the program. Fine in many cases, less fine if you're dealing with even basic physics. I'm sure somebody has invented some macro or template explosion way of making this easier, but it's probably more prudent in most cases to just write foo_kg_m or kg_mFoo or whatever and get it over with.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Now, listen - I know the two of you are very different from each other in a lot of ways, but you have to understand that as far as Grandpa's concerned, you're both pieces of shit! Yeah. I can prove it mathematically.

Magnetic North posted:

do the bosses actually read the code? if not then gently caress 'em.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Uncle Bob in "Clean Code" says that you should avoid gratuitous information in variable names, and that modern IDEs reduce any usefulness of something like Hungarian Notation. He's not wrong. Read the chapter on naming things and push back on management if you feel comfortable.

If you don't feel comfortable, or they shoot you down: your bosses dictating technology decisions, let alone bad ones that don't really provide any value, is a sign that you may want to get your experience and look for something better when the timing is right. Hungarian Notation itself isn't the end of the world, but this type of behavior can lead to bad things. It says something about the implied charter of the team, and shows that the developers don't have as much agency as they should.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Linear Zoetrope posted:

TBF, there's only so much you can do with most type systems, even really good ones. For instance, type systems for unit analysis doesn't tend to work well at compile time because you end up having to implement things like unit cancelling, specially named units, and compound units by hand for each unit you want to add to the program. Fine in many cases, less fine if you're dealing with even basic physics. I'm sure somebody has invented some macro or template explosion way of making this easier, but it's probably more prudent in most cases to just write foo_kg_m or kg_mFoo or whatever and get it over with.

F# has a unit system with all this stuff baked in and it’s incredibly useful in those few cases where you need it.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Thanks for all the replies. That was about what I expected to hear. Just making sure my coworkers were not being unreasonable when they said they'd had arguments in the past.

This makes me realize why I hate it. Ints, doubles, whatever, I'll live and I might even help me from making a mistake with integer division as I am prone to do. But the idea that any object regardless of class/interface is always going to be preceded by obj is just bonkers to me.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'd quit a job over Hungarian notation

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Magnetic North posted:

Thanks for all the replies. That was about what I expected to hear. Just making sure my coworkers were not being unreasonable when they said they'd had arguments in the past.

This makes me realize why I hate it. Ints, doubles, whatever, I'll live and I might even help me from making a mistake with integer division as I am prone to do. But the idea that any object regardless of class/interface is always going to be preceded by obj is just bonkers to me.

What Linear Zoetrope said about types getting combinatoric when math is involved aside, I’m sort of deeply offended by hungarian notation in statically typed languages. Proper use of types combined with a half decent IDE together completely automate solving the problem that Hungarian notation aims to solve and have the advantage that they won’t ever desync with the real type information or make your variable names hideous looking.

Newf
Feb 14, 2006
I appreciate hacky sack on a much deeper level than you.
I'll buck the trend here and suggest that practical considerations aside (Hungarian notation is not a good thing in C#) it's Not a Big Deal to prefix your variable with an extra character. If one lets go of the seething resentment at having their methods prescribed it may even be possible to enjoy the remaining real benefit of being saved the mouse / keyboard actions required to learn a type.

Bruegels Fuckbooks
Sep 14, 2004

Magnetic North posted:

you can also say that it doesn't really follow best practice - microsoft itself says

quote:

Do not use Hungarian notation
for .NET in its naming convention. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/standard/design-guidelines/general-naming-conventions

So it's somewhat incumbent on the person who wants hungarian notation to explain why you guys should deviate from the microsoft general naming conventions or industry standards.

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Newf posted:

I'll buck the trend here and suggest that practical considerations aside (Hungarian notation is not a good thing in C#) it's Not a Big Deal to prefix your variable with an extra character. If one lets go of the seething resentment at having their methods prescribed it may even be possible to enjoy the remaining real benefit of being saved the mouse / keyboard actions required to learn a type.

The benefit of not having to use a mouse/keyboard action to learn a type comes at the expense of constant maintainance of the loosely coupled name and type. Said another way, there is no guarantee that an “iLatCoordinate” is an integer not a float and if you’re being thorough you should always go look at the type. So if you need to look at the type when you want to be thorough, what the heck is the point of doing the maintenance to keep the names correct?

If you added a linter that enforced the hungarian names then my objection goes away but I’d still contend that Hungarian is wasted effort on the whole.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Bruegels Fuckbooks posted:

for .NET in its naming convention. https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/standard/design-guidelines/general-naming-conventions

So it's somewhat incumbent on the person who wants hungarian notation to explain why you guys should deviate from the microsoft general naming conventions or industry standards.

quote:

✓ DO choose easily readable identifier names.

For example, a property named HorizontalAlignment is more English-readable than AlignmentHorizontal.

✓ DO favor readability over brevity.

The property name CanScrollHorizontally is better than ScrollableX (an obscure reference to the X-axis).
It seems like the thing they say not to use is clearer than the thing say to use. These two examples also directly conflict with each other.

CanScrollHorizontally is reasonable and equally as clear as ScrollableX . However, it follows the same logical construct as AlignmentHorizontal which is something they say not to use. HorizontalAlignment is the equivalent of HorizontallyScrollCan or some other equally tedious variable name like CanHorizontallyScroll.

I'd be annoyed as heck every time HorizontalAlignment appeared near another "HorizontalSomething" variable. Why put a sub-property before the supporting thing? It'd be like if language constructs had you call sin.Math, cos.Math to reference methods/functions associated with objects/namespaces. sin and cos are perhaps the worst example because Math is implied, but hopefully the intent shows through.

I'm not a .NET developer so maybe I'm approaching this from the wrong perspective.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 2, 2018

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

They don't conflict though? It's just saying write in clear English, and HorizontalAlignment follows that because we usually put adjectives before the noun

I mean yeah traditionally you'd put the noun first so all properties relating to the same thing look similar and end up grouped together, but this is their style. Maybe it's more readable for people new to programming, or people whose first language isn't English?

Khorne
May 1, 2002

baka kaba posted:

They don't conflict though? It's just saying write in clear English, and HorizontalAlignment follows that because we usually put adjectives before the noun

I mean yeah traditionally you'd put the noun first so all properties relating to the same thing look similar and end up grouped together, but this is their style. Maybe it's more readable for people new to programming, or people whose first language isn't English?
We're dealing with alignment, specifically horizontal
We're checking if this is scrollable, in the x axis
We're checking if this can do something, do what oh scroll, specifically horizontal
We're dealing with horizontal, horizontal what *begins to panic*, oh alignment

If we break out of English, you literally have:

(subject) -> modifier for (Alignment) -> Horizontal, (Scrollable) -> X, (CanScroll) -> Horizontally
modifier ?? (subject) for Horizontal ?? (Alignment)

It's logically ambiguous and makes scanning code with multiple subjects tedious. If you're scanning over a block of code you literally don't have to read anything beyond A..n or Align or A..t to know what it deals with. You have to read the whole thing far more often when you put common and ambiguous words first. Especially when you have inconsistent logical ordering in variable names like the literal coding guide does there. Hungarian bothers me less than that because you can just read the first capital letter and ignore the often-junk prefix. It's advocating the Hungarian equivalent of just tossing variable type randomly within the variable name.

Programming isn't reading and writing English, and the language most like English that's real popular (SQL) most people avoid. Anyhow, I probably have some weird outlier opinion because I tend not to think in a language. Even while doing things like writing or speaking. I'd never bother bringing anything like this up while working with others because it's minor pedantry, but it seems real weird to have a language style guide advocating something like that.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Sep 2, 2018

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Khorne posted:

I'd never bother bringing anything like this up while working with others because it's minor pedantry, but it seems real weird to have a language style guide advocating something like that.

:same:

maybe the author of the conventions is trying to encourage pedantic fights during code reviews?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

I'd argue that programming languages are becoming more like writing natural English - not entirely, obviously, and it obviously depends on the language, but compared to the stuff people wrote decades ago there's a hell of a lot more natural expression, like in Python for example. And conventions like breaking code out into well-named functions, so the main flow with the calls reads easily and you can follow it without having to dive into the details. People are encouraged to use syntactic sugar and use longer, meaningful variable names. Things change!

And I agree it makes "more sense" to group properties by doing ThingAttribute, but that's because it's how I learned. I also know I don't do that consistently either - if you had some attibutes relating to a set of pages, would you call them CurrentPage and TotalPages? Or PageCurrent and PageTotal? The latter feels more awkward to me, and you see people mix and match the two styles a lot. And I'm not sure you lose much by having to read a full variable name, especially if it naturally expresses what a thing is without having to consider possible translations from programmer-speak ("ScrollableX" could mean anything until you've worked out what it does mean, and that's what takes time)

Maybe the most annoying thing is stuff not being ordered reliably, so docs and autocomplete etc don't group all the properties together, but hell if you're ok with Hungarian notation - that messes up the ordering too, unless the properties all happen to be the same type so they all get lumped together (and you know which type to skip to). It doesn't seem like a big deal, and encouraging good, readable, consistent naming conventions is probably a bigger win (plus we have search so you can just type whatever part of the variable you like!) Also from a quick look around this isn't an unusual recommendation - a lot of style guides for various languages say to name things with nouns or noun phrases so they follow natural language rules, so they're more readable and semantically clear

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Sep 2, 2018