Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

80s James Hetfield posted:

Ive been looking on the official page but I cant find a yes or no but is Grand Prix Richmond being streamed this weekend?

Not only is it being streamed, they are going to be trying a new thing where they are going to show Reid Duke every single round (till he drops). Legacy stream starts on Friday and Sunday will be Standard.

quote:

Together with our partners at Wizards of the Coast, we are always looking to improve coverage, and we are very excited to try something very new, and very different for our Legacy coverage from Grand Prix Richmond. For the first time, we're going to follow one of the biggest names in the game through every turn of their GP experience, and for this unique look under the hood of a tournament, we've turned to one of the best Legacy players in the world - Reid Duke.

He'll be sharing with us his sideboard plans, his views on all the key matchups, and how he goes about making his deck win. For some rounds, Reid will be the main feature match, and once he's done he'll be joining Marshall Sutcliffe in the booth to review the match, and give us the full Pro insight into the turns that mattered. Some rounds, he'll be our TimeWalk match, and he'll join Brian David-Marshall and Eduardo Sajgalik in the booth to give us the full picture of how his match played out - a 'Director's Commentary', if you will.

https://www.cfbevents.com/reid-duke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Pioneering new ways to make watching tournament magic too boring to follow

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

mossyfisk posted:

Pioneering new ways to make watching tournament magic too boring to follow

We found the one person who doesn't like Reid

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

ShaneB posted:

We found the one person who doesn't like Reid

Watching Reid play = good

Watching the same deck in every single round of coverage, in a tournament with more deck variety than any other format = not as good

It's not like he's going to pick an "interesting" deck for the sake of coverage, he's going to pick Miracles or Delver or whatever he feels the "best" deck is, and we'll miss out on all the crazy matchups that happen at Legacy GPs.

Edit: And of course, there's the potential of viewers getting bored of the same deck every round => viewership drops => WotC says people don't want to watch Legacy => WotC has an excuse to cut legacy GP support even further.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

AlternateNu posted:

Threshold would be pretty sweet.

How is Graft an 8? It is simple and not nearly overpowered enough. And would probably go great with all the Merfolk counter shenanigans from Ixalan.

So I know this was a while ago but I'd just like to point out that Graft is an '8' because of digital issues - every graft thing has a trigger every time any creature ETBs, even with no counters left, and mtgo is awful at this.

Fingers McLongDong
Nov 30, 2005

not eromenos
Fun Shoe

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Watching the same deck in every single round of coverage, in a tournament with more deck variety than any other format = not as good

It's not like he's going to pick an "interesting" deck for the sake of coverage, he's going to pick Miracles or Delver or whatever he feels the "best" deck is, and we'll miss out on all the crazy matchups that happen at Legacy GPs.

Edit: And of course, there's the potential of viewers getting bored of the same deck every round => viewership drops => WotC says people don't want to watch Legacy => WotC has an excuse to cut legacy GP support even further.

Sounds like he's not going to be on stream every single round, just sometimes will be on the main cam and will basically always be the backup/timewalk match. Will be a good watch as it will likely be a clinic in how to play whatever deck he chooses. I think it's a neat idea as long as they show a good variety for the rest of the main/timewalk matches. Also might not matter at all if he doesn't do well and drops.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?

You're not going to watch the same deck every round, he's going to be matched against lots of different people.

I think it sounds really interesting.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
It looks like Reid played Grixis Control at the pro tour.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Sounds like he's not going to be on stream every single round, just sometimes will be on the main cam and will basically always be the backup/timewalk match. Will be a good watch as it will likely be a clinic in how to play whatever deck he chooses. I think it's a neat idea as long as they show a good variety for the rest of the main/timewalk matches. Also might not matter at all if he doesn't do well and drops.

Don't get me wrong, I love the concept, I just wish they'd tried it on a Standard GP first so they could see what kind of impact it had on viewership numbers.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Tainen posted:

Do you have a link handy for his list? I've been looking for an excuse to use all of the Grixis staples I've had lying around without just going full-bore GDS.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

C-Euro posted:

Do you have a link handy for his list? I've been looking for an excuse to use all of the Grixis staples I've had lying around without just going full-bore GDS.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1254469#paper

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Oh wait crap I thought this was for Modern, lol nevermind.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

C-Euro posted:

Oh wait crap I thought this was for Modern, lol nevermind.

Looks like Corey Burkheart was the only Modern Grixis Control player at the PT. Here is his list.
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/1254275#paper

For those that missed it here is a link to all 600+ decks from the PT

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/tournament/pro-tour-25th-anniversary

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Tainen posted:

He did, and he also played it in the last legacy challenge to a 3rd place finish. It's a safe bet that's what he will be on.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Yeah man it's pretty hosed up that they're going to pair him against the mirror every single round.

Don't get me wrong, I love the concept, I just wish they'd tried it on a Standard GP first so they could see what kind of impact it had on viewership numbers.

You're complaining about deck diversity yet you want this to happen first in Standard lmao

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I get the complaint. It's not like Reid is going to play an interesting deck. He's like 90% on any given day to be on whatever the best black + X deck full of generic good cards is. The gameplay will be boring at best. But Reid is better than almost anyone at explaining his thought process.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

suicidesteve posted:

I get the complaint. It's not like Reid is going to play an interesting deck. He's like 90% on any given day to be on whatever the best black + X deck full of generic good cards is. The gameplay will be boring at best. But Reid is better than almost anyone at explaining his thought process.

I hope they actually mic up the play area. It’s annoying when the commentators mention something the players are taking about when we can’t hear them on stream.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

suicidesteve posted:

Reid videos are great, I wish he made more. Sometimes I think watching him play Bxx midrange is more valuable than playing the decks myself.

ShadeofBlue
Mar 17, 2011

Tainen posted:

I hope they actually mic up the play area. It’s annoying when the commentators mention something the players are taking about when we can’t hear them on stream.

They are going to mic up him and his opponent, apparently.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Tainen posted:

Marshal Sutcliffe was talking about this on the Limited Resources podcast.

Originally, Reid was going to do coverage on this tournament but he's very close in the Player of the Year race so he's playing instead. On the rounds where Reid was scheduled to be in the booth, instead they're going to mic up the players and Marshal will be alone in the booth (and mostly be quiet unless he's gotta explain something), he compared it to those old Poker After Dark shows.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Tainen posted:

:same:

I also like seeing people actually annunciate their plays instead of mumble through them or remain goonily silent, but I realize that’s hit or miss

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please

Lone Goat posted:

You're complaining about deck diversity yet you want this to happen first in Standard lmao

Um yes, I think the format where > 25% of the metagame is a single archetype is less diverse than the format where all the top decks only make up 5-8% of the metagame. And I think showing the same deck every round makes the coverage less diverse, and that's less of an issue in a format where you're already statistically more likely to show the same deck each round because people are playing fewer different decks.

(Numbers: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/standard#paper and https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/legacy#paper)

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Lone Goat posted:

Originally, Reid was going to do coverage on this tournament but he's very close in the Player of the Year race so he's playing instead. On the rounds where Reid was scheduled to be in the booth, instead they're going to mic up the players and Marshal will be alone in the booth (and mostly be quiet unless he's gotta explain something), he compared it to those old Poker After Dark shows.

Ok this could be pretty cool then. It’s at least worth testing out.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

i was just thinking about arena and something i've been wondering about. drafts are infinity loving expensive and bad ev because you "keep the cards," but anyone drafting regularly is going to be keeping what, less than 5 cards per draft? and even anyone who drafts casually is going to be keeping less than half of a draft deck at some point.

i just wonder if that occurred to wotc at all, and its hard to imagine it didnt.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Lone Goat posted:

I also didn't know this. This is a really cool idea.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

resistentialism posted:

I keep feeling like a brain geneouisss playing this dumb mono blue fliers deck on arena. Play tempest djinns and protect them with janky inexpensive crap like siren stormtamer, hope of girhaptur and dive down, and win.

Well - that's the way to win on Arena now. If you can play a deck that basically functions while having very few redemption targets, you get matched against a bunch of "terrible versions of staple decks" and "garbage fires that include a few staple cards", and you win.

I love ruining days with my now-mostly-blinged-out Turbo Fog deck, but I'm quite sure my win rate is higher with "Black 1 Drop.dec" (which I built just to quickly pass 'cast 30 black spells' quests) or Banefire Elves.... and it's not because those are better decks.

If you really just want to win Arena Freeplay, the best deck is probably a very-out-of-favor older deck - like, Dynavolt Tower or something. B- power level, but shares very few rares with current popular decks.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

rabidsquid posted:

i was just thinking about arena and something i've been wondering about. drafts are infinity loving expensive and bad ev because you "keep the cards," but anyone drafting regularly is going to be keeping what, less than 5 cards per draft? and even anyone who drafts casually is going to be keeping less than half of a draft deck at some point.

i just wonder if that occurred to wotc at all, and its hard to imagine it didnt.

I don’t feel like they are super expensive and it feels really easy to go infinite or at least near infinite. I bought $50 worth of gems when they first released them and still have around 4000 left after doing 4 or 5 drafts a week since.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

rabidsquid posted:

In Arena (at least for me), draft isn't the way to grind coins, it's the payoff for grinding coins. Unless you're winning a very high percentage, it's not a sensible way to get the most cards.... but it's obviously solid value if you enjoy drafting (and, uh, playing Magic) - drafts cost $0 instead of $20.

In paper Magic it makes more sense to consider the value of the cards you're getting - but it still doesn't add up worse than opening packs. Someone is getting all the drafted cards, so the EV for the table sums to the same EV as everyone just opening their 3 packs. For each player, there's some minor variation based on how willing they are to rare draft, or how much the cards they like to draft overlap with the cards they want to have... but in the end the total dollar value of cards exiting the draft is going to be the same.

(To be clear: opening packs in any way is usually not a great way to get "the cards you want"... but it doesn't make it worse to draft them).

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Tainen posted:

I don’t feel like they are super expensive and it feels really easy to go infinite or at least near infinite. I bought $50 worth of gems when they first released them and still have around 4000 left after doing 4 or 5 drafts a week since.

In a way, it's impossible not to "go infinite" in Arena. As long as you occasionally "play lands" and "cast spells", you're going to win games (or at least complete quests), and have enough coin income to do a draft once in a while. I think Arena is the right move for Wizards, but I'm sure it'll cannibalize some MODO players who just wanted to do some drafts - and now can do so for free without worrying about winning enough tickets worth for another round.

(whoops, meant to join my posts together, but hit a bunch of wrong buttons - sorry for rambling multipart garbage).

jmzero fucked around with this message at 23:37 on Aug 29, 2018

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Sickening posted:

Convoke is awesome.

I would love to see this in standard again.

We’re not getting a red convoke card in a set where convoke is explicitly the GW mechanic of the set.

Mezzanon
Sep 16, 2003

Pillbug

Entropic posted:

We’re not getting a red convoke card in a set where convoke is explicitly the GW mechanic of the set.

I kinda hope that each guild has it's own mechanic but then they also have 5 bleed over mechanics like convoke would cross over into boros because the guilds are working together.

maybe in the third set when everyone has to team up against bolas?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/nascarfath/status/1034735676535787520

:rip: Pikula

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Um yes, I think the format where > 25% of the metagame is a single archetype is less diverse than the format where all the top decks only make up 5-8% of the metagame. And I think showing the same deck every round makes the coverage less diverse, and that's less of an issue in a format where you're already statistically more likely to show the same deck each round because people are playing fewer different decks.

(Numbers: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/standard#paper and https://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/legacy#paper)

Don't use MTGGoldfish metagame numbers. WotC intentionally releases MTGO decklists in a way to make that information worthless for discerning a metagame.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Pikula getting in would be a joke. Lee and Seth both deserve it.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Tainen posted:

Not only is it being streamed, they are going to be trying a new thing where they are going to show Reid Duke every single round (till he drops). Legacy stream starts on Friday and Sunday will be Standard.

https://www.cfbevents.com/reid-duke

You see, this is how you make esports stars

always bet on duke

duke duke duke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNOyI9V2RfE

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
the funniest part of that video is when he tried to say that Umezawa's Jitte didn't see a lot of play

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

BizarroAzrael posted:

Well if it's Selesnya's mechanic then you're out of luck!

It would actually be cool if they let mechanics bleed across guilds. Like Convoke could be base Selesnya but it's obvious that some other guilds on Ravnica could make use of a throng of supporters in their own ways, like Orzhov or Rakdos or even Boros (imagine a whole rank of Boros foot soldiers all lending their unit's battlemage their strength to help cast a fire spell.)

Of course Maro probably thinks that the target audience's tiny minds will pop like a balloon as they grapple with the idea of multiple guilds sharing keywords in such a fashion. And the thing is, he might be right.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
I wouldn’t be surprised if guilds sharing keywords was part of the third set, honestly.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Mr. Locke posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised if guilds sharing keywords was part of the third set, honestly.

Yeah thats definitely a third set thing

TBH, given Maro's comments about shoving all ten guilds into one set being a failure, I fully expect them to do tricolor stuff in the third set as a way to neatly sidestep that particular problem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

jmzero posted:

Well - that's the way to win on Arena now. If you can play a deck that basically functions while having very few redemption targets, you get matched against a bunch of "terrible versions of staple decks" and "garbage fires that include a few staple cards", and you win.

I love ruining days with my now-mostly-blinged-out Turbo Fog deck, but I'm quite sure my win rate is higher with "Black 1 Drop.dec" (which I built just to quickly pass 'cast 30 black spells' quests) or Banefire Elves.... and it's not because those are better decks.

If you really just want to win Arena Freeplay, the best deck is probably a very-out-of-favor older deck - like, Dynavolt Tower or something. B- power level, but shares very few rares with current popular decks.

Agreed. I've been having a blast with my mono-G Mushroom Tribal deck, since I mostly get paired up against B/G Constrictor, W/G Cats, U/G Merfolk and janky R/G Dinosaurs or Dragons decks.

Deck: SHROOOM!

Creatures
4 Llanowar Elves
3 Wildgrowth Walker
4 Sporecrown Thallid
2 Vine Mare
4 Yavimaya Sapherd
4 Tendershoot Dryad

Instants
4 Spore Swarm

Sorceries
4 Saproling Migration

Enchantments
2 Fungal Plots
3 Song of Freyalise
3 Path of Discovery

Lands
23 Forest

AnEdgelord posted:

Yeah thats definitely a third set thing

TBH, given Maro's comments about shoving all ten guilds into one set being a failure, I fully expect them to do tricolor stuff in the third set as a way to neatly sidestep that particular problem

I'd be happy if they did that, but only if we got a completed cycle of functional reprints of the Invasion block Dragon's Lairs, the best tri-lands.