Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Plutonis posted:

Oh hah, seems like Karyu Densetsu is getting really popular on the RPG sites here, their free fastplay is getting a lot of downloads and there's a lot of tables using that. Might try doing a F&F of that when I feel like it.

Please do, I'd be interested in reading about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

They were screaming “this torch is talking to me!”.

Maybe it's like how art speaks to you hrm??? :colbert:

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
How is Genesys? Feel like it just came and went without much fanfare. I liked the FFG Star Wars game from the one session I played of it (in which I played a bounty hunter that was one of those Phantom Menace battle droids that was never actually used in the Clone Wars but pretended to in order to look cool to clients).

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

SunAndSpring posted:

How is Genesys? Feel like it just came and went without much fanfare. I liked the FFG Star Wars game from the one session I played of it (in which I played a bounty hunter that was one of those Phantom Menace battle droids that was never actually used in the Clone Wars but pretended to in order to look cool to clients).

It's good. It's very Fantasy Flight what with all the proprietary dice and symbol tallying resolution mechanic but if you're not down on that it's a perfectly serviceable generic system.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I like the idea of the talking item being the traditionally cheapest and most ubiquitous one in the game.

Folks, I'm running an online session with my group, and I'm out of the loop. What's the generally accepted method/platform these days? Some pointers:
- it's supposed to be a one-off, so we don't need to import character sheets or anything; we all have ours and I'm trusting everyone with their rolls
- it's 13th Age so we only need the barest of map functions, a background and some tokens will do
- really all I think we need is a place to talk and to have simple battle maps where everyone can move their tokens around, all bookkeeping can be done offline, and we don't want to spend a lot of time learning the platform

Right now the thought is a teamspeak server plus Roll20, but I'm aware we could just as well use the Roll20 voice chat. Any thoughts?

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran
Roll20 is the virtual tabletop of choice these days, but the Roll20 voice chat is... Not great. Most people use Discord or, to a lesser extent, Skype, but if your group has a preference for Teamspeak that's certainly going to work as well.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Everything Kestral says. We use Roll20 as a tabletop and Google Hangouts for voice comms, and that'll probably work just fine for you.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

That's great! Thanks.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/dog_blink/status/1034588129888370689

Lupercalcalcal
Jan 28, 2016

Suck a dick, dumb shits

:perfect:

I'm seriously going to run this. This is awesome.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Pollyanna posted:

If a party member is getting talked to by a cursed item we can’t hear, is it metagaming if my character puts two and two together and asks what the gently caress is up with the item?
I read a rulebook recently (DCC? I can't remember) which stated very specifically that your PC has to do everything based on your knowledge and actions, not his/her own. Which seemed a really odd bit of metagaming; if the DM drops a riddle on you based on the backstory of the setting which you don't know in detail, does that mean your INT 18 character who's lived in that setting all their life can't answer it? Can an INT 5 barbarian solve a puzzle because the player happens to be an expert at cryptic crosswords? Can the wizard with a low STR and DEX throat-punch an orc because the player knows martial arts and can describe the action? Hell, if you're in a Tolkienesque world and you're playing an elf, do you have to read The Silmarillion just to have your PC communicate with their own people?

Mind you, we live in mouse-cord world, so who knows.

Edit: presumably under this system, you would have to act out your PC trying to seduce an NPC, even if they're CHA 18. And the GM can just go "nope, you didn't turn me on, fail."

Small Strange Bird fucked around with this message at 11:50 on Aug 29, 2018

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

SunAndSpring posted:

I made a custom module thing for my group with it and I found the system quite manageable even though it does lack a wealth of examples in the core book to help with inspiration

Also I just love the FF dice resolution system and it's one of the only times I've been willing to forgive proprietary non standard dice

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Payndz posted:

I read a rulebook recently (DCC? I can't remember) which stated very specifically that your PC has to do everything based on your knowledge and actions, not his/her own. Which seemed a really odd bit of metagaming; if the DM drops a riddle on you based on the backstory of the setting which you don't know in detail, does that mean your INT 18 character who's lived in that setting all their life can't answer it? Can an INT 5 barbarian solve a puzzle because the player happens to be an expert at cryptic crosswords? Can the wizard with a low STR and DEX throat-punch an orc because the player knows martial arts and can describe the action? Hell, if you're in a Tolkienesque world and you're playing an elf, do you have to read The Silmarillion just to have your PC communicate with their own people?

Mind you, we live in mouse-cord world, so who knows.

Edit: presumably under this system, you would have to act out your PC trying to seduce an NPC, even if they're CHA 18. And the GM can just go "nope, you didn't turn me on, fail."

I think that's LotFP:

lotfp posted:

Intelligence is the measure of a character’s knowledge prior to the start of play. Intelligence does not measure a character’s memory or ability to solve puzzles; it is the player’s wits that must be used in these situations.

I think he is saying that your low INT doesn't necessarily make you a dotard. It just shows how much you know.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
I mean, kind of the point of Int/Wis/Cha is different kinds of intellectual capability. Int vs Wis is the subject of a lot of old jokes. Usually more or less 'book smarts' vs 'street smarts'.

Am I the only one to use 4e Streetwise as basically another Knowledge skill? More in that it better covers things like mercenaries or criminals you meet than Nature or whatever, basically what you heard in the pub/on the street without having to go into detail on everything the PC did last time they hit the town.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

alg posted:

I think that's LotFP:

I think he is saying that your low INT doesn't necessarily make you a dotard. It just shows how much you know.

Why not just call it “knowledge” then? Silly.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I agree that Knowledge is better, but LotFP sticks very close to B/X in most things.

One little sticking point for me in 4e was that I had liked playing a rogue with high Int and lots of knowledge skills in 3e. The closest I could get to that in 4e was a warlock with the right pact.

SunAndSpring posted:

I don't like Genesys. I've never played it, or read it, and in fact I barely know anything about it. But the name is very similar to a hilariously bad heartbreaker that came out a few years ago, and that's confusing, so I'm mad.

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Aug 29, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I mean, kind of the point of Int/Wis/Cha is different kinds of intellectual capability. Int vs Wis is the subject of a lot of old jokes. Usually more or less 'book smarts' vs 'street smarts'.

Aren’t the six stats basically a further division of physical/mental aptitude?

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug

potatocubed posted:

Everything Kestral says. We use Roll20 as a tabletop and Google Hangouts for voice comms, and that'll probably work just fine for you.

If you want to go even simpler, Google Hangouts for voice/video/chat and a shared Google Drive Slides file for visual aids is very viable if you are ok with trusting people's rolls, players to track HPs and conditions, and the DM to manually track NPCs and Monsters.

My online group has ran DW, 13th Age, Call of Cthulhu, Masks, Danger Patrol, Fiasco, and DCC using that setup. I would probably switch to Roll20 for something with a lot of focus on grid based combat like 4e or if people really wanted public dice rolls / tracking of numbers.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I trust my guys completely, but I figure by now rolling on Roll20 does have the advantage of rolls being immediately visible to everyone, with less potential for "did you say you rolled thirteen or thirty?".

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

SunAndSpring posted:

The core book seems serviceable but as dry as you'd expect a bunch of setting agnostic rules to be. I don't know anything about the fantasy setting book they released for it but I know an Android setting is coming out soon (maybe at Magnum Opus next week? There's supposed to be a bunch of roleplaying stuff on your off-day apparently).

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

It's good. It's very Fantasy Flight what with all the proprietary dice and symbol tallying resolution mechanic but if you're not down on that it's a perfectly serviceable generic system.

It will 100% depend on how good the inevitable Android supplement they come out with is imo

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Does anyone actually enjoy playing the level-0 meatgrinder in Dungeon Crawl Classics? Randomization at character creation can be fun, I like Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, but I've never once had fun repeatedly splatting characters because they die in one hit. Character creation randomization doesn't mean you shouldn't or can't get attached to a character.

Also who thought it was a good idea to have a bunch of nonsense dice that require you to roll dumb dice combinations?

e: I ask because the book gets defensive at length of the level-0 'funnel' despite it admitting that a bunch of playtesters apparently hated both that at straight 3d6 down the line stats.

fool of sound fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Aug 29, 2018

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Anyone gotten the chance to play Unity yet? It looks really neat!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
For people who like that kind of thing, well, that's the kind of thing they like.

DCC is a great series of modules, I'll tell you what.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

For people who like that kind of thing, well, that's the kind of thing they like.

DCC is a great series of modules, I'll tell you what.

I mean I like dungeon crawls, and I don't mind character death. I mind when my character is utterly useless and it's just me throwing dice hoping that maybe I eventually get to play someone is is useful at anything.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

fool_of_sound posted:

Does anyone actually enjoy playing the level-0 meatgrinder in Dungeon Crawl Classics? Randomization at character creation can be fun, I like Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, but I've never once had fun repeatedly splatting characters because they die in one hit. Character creation randomization doesn't mean you shouldn't or can't get attached to a character.

Also who thought it was a good idea to have a bunch of nonsense dice that require you to roll dumb dice combinations?

e: I ask because the book gets defensive at length of the level-0 'funnel' despite it admitting that a bunch of playtesters apparently hated both that at straight 3d6 down the line stats.

I like the heroes are made, not born ideal

It's exciting to have someone survive the funnel to level up and become a real adventurer. It's exciting to tell an origin story and explains why people go on adventures.

Obviously you can just skip the funnel if you don't like it.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I like the funnel, but allow some stat rerolls on leveling to 1st. :)

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:

S.J. posted:

Anyone gotten the chance to play Unity yet? It looks really neat!

We’ve got a thread for it here:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3866826

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

fool_of_sound posted:

I did one of these and didn't really enjoy it. I managed to get all 4 of my peons to survive fairly easily. The gameplay is basically just bad Zork since everything you do has to be negotiated with the GM and you don't have the capacity to do anything interesting, even a level 1 fighter can choose to bring a 10 foot pole. Combat isn't interesting since you don't have any options unless there's some heavily choreographed stuff. Ideally it's kind of like a horror game but the structure doesn't support it since everything is so reactive and compartmentalised. There isn't really any tension to resolving the traps since it's all just an awkward procedure of "What if I do this?". Loss isn't really interesting either since there's no stakes since the dungeon's reactive and you don't give a poo poo about your characters. I don't really believe anyone enjoys it more than some weird ritual for broke brains OSR types, although presumably people do. Character Creation is the most fun part of rpgs, I don't know why you'd replace it with a limited dungeon crawl.

Wrestlepig fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Aug 29, 2018

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What's a cheap way to put together a good, foldable, customizable GM screen? Doesn't need to be particularly full-featured, just a board I can insert or paperclip some sheets to. I was thinking of using a manila folder or something else that stands up easily, but having just two panels is a little lacking. I looked at custom GM screens like this one, but I don't wanna spend a whole $20.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Actually, I just answered my own question. Two manila folders, one on each side. :getin:

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

I mean I like dungeon crawls, and I don't mind character death. I mind when my character is utterly useless and it's just me throwing dice hoping that maybe I eventually get to play someone is is useful at anything.

Everytime you make a new character, you must first beat the GM in a game of chutes and ladders, if the GM wins your character died in character creation and you must try again.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Wrestlepig posted:

The gameplay is basically just bad Zork since everything you do has to be negotiated with the GM and you don't have the capacity to do anything interesting, even a level 1 fighter can choose to bring a 10 foot pole. Combat isn't interesting since you don't have any options unless there's some heavily choreographed stuff. Ideally it's kind of like a horror game but the structure doesn't support it since everything is so reactive and compartmentalised. There isn't really any tension to resolving the traps since it's all just an awkward procedure of "What if I do this?". Loss isn't really interesting either since there's no stakes since the dungeon's reactive and you don't give a poo poo about your characters. I don't really believe anyone enjoys it more than some weird ritual for broke brains OSR types, although presumably people do.
There's a happy medium between dungeoncrawling being totally mechanistic and combat purely a tactical simulation, and tediously arguing about exactly how you disarm a trap that doesn't make mechanical sense anyway.

Auralsaurus Flex
Aug 3, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Actually, I just answered my own question. Two manila folders, one on each side. :getin:
If you want something made of sterner stuff, you could substitute some chipboard or the like if you need a sturdier backing, but it'd be tougher to get a nice fold/score going compared to a folder.

The cover stock version I used for a Call/Cats of Catthulhu one shot worked pretty well, but you might want some binder clips at the bottom of yours to help keep them from falling down. I had a pretty noticeable :randvince: problem.

Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Pollyanna posted:

What's a cheap way to put together a good, foldable, customizable GM screen? Doesn't need to be particularly full-featured, just a board I can insert or paperclip some sheets to. I was thinking of using a manila folder or something else that stands up easily, but having just two panels is a little lacking. I looked at custom GM screens like this one, but I don't wanna spend a whole $20.

If you have a restaurant supply store around, see if they have trifold menus. I got one for about $3 and printed and dropped in my sheets on one side and some cool art on the other.

mkultra419
May 4, 2005

Modern Day Alchemist
Pillbug

fool_of_sound posted:

I recently ran Sailors on the Sunless Sea for a bunch of guys that have mainly played DW/PbtA campaigns and opinions were split. A couple of guys had some really standout characters come out of it, including an incredible deeply creepy orphan that survived despite only having 1 HP. I have serious plans for that character if I ever run Intrigue at the Court of Chaos for this group. Some of them felt like it was too thin of character development, but still have a clear favorite of their survivors for any future adventures. In general it was mainly positive feedback despite being very different than what they were used to, it definitely took a couple deaths before they loosened up on the fact that their mob were not all going to make it. But that player with the surviving orphan likes him enough that he's is going to continue to use that as their main even though there's no way they would have otherwise created a Damien-from-The-Omen orphan character as the basis for a wizard PC. I think it's an interesting way to actively build a history for your characters rather than just deciding a history for your characters. I've seen it actually work well, but I also see its not for everyone. People that really want to polish every little detail of their characters history or have characters that don't start out as relatively mundane small town peasant type characters will probably not be as enthusiastic about it and that's OK. Sailors could totally be re-leveled or re-skinned to be used as a great non-funnel adventure too.

I agree that the dice are kind of a weak gimmick. The dice chain mechanic is interesting, but I'm not sure they couldn't have just used the standard polynomials for a similar effect.

I am planning on letting them do some respecing as they level up their characters before future adventures as well as taking the max hit die increase for 1st level, just to encourage them to take their favorite survivor (like the orphan) instead of just their survivor with the best stats. And all of the other survivors will end up running their homestead as a stable of backup characters.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The DCC funnel is intended as a way to prevent people from trying to "min-max" their characters (which is a design choice that one might disagree with, but is deliberate regardless), as well as encouraging people to do the stupid daring thing when playing in these Tomb of Horrors-type deathtrap dungeons.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

DCC sucks and I'd rather play 2e.
You spend way too long rolling poo poo on a list for you peons, and then you throw them into a meat grinder. I can toss a 2e dude together in the same amount of time or less, they'll be more capable, and the game will be made for my character as they exist as opposed to killing my little poo poo-farmer.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Moriatti posted:

DCC sucks and I'd rather play 2e.
You spend way too long rolling poo poo on a list for you peons, and then you throw them into a meat grinder. I can toss a 2e dude together in the same amount of time or less, they'll be more capable, and the game will be made for my character as they exist as opposed to killing my little poo poo-farmer.

Yeah, I really like some of DCC's ideas. It's take on Warrior, Cleric, and Thief are pretty good. The racial classes, on the other hand, are disappointing, and wizards have like 4 different obnoxious subsystem 'balancing' factors instead of just trying to balance their spells. Also imo the game really misses that a major thrill of dungeon crawling is finding big cool randomly generated treasure piles, including quirky magic items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
there's nothing more suspect than the balance and design of a game that attempts to discourage min-maxing