Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

orcinus posted:

I have no memory of this place.

You can always check out, but you can never leave.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Decrepus posted:

Imagine being so retarded that posting ":D" at the end of your messages makes you think you are performing mind-games on people.

I don't know anybody dumb enough to try it with that emoticon. :grin:

:grin:

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Morphix posted:

that fishscale theorycrafting

Just throwing it out there, but has anyone considered Frogbear as a chat NPC for lonely nerds?

Or does that just comically speed up the ‘months to skynet’ counter in some laboratory somewhere?

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

This can't possibly be overstated. Chris believed, from the very start, that because he told other developers to change the color of a pixel nearly 3 decades ago, that the only reason games weren't infinitely better today is because he wasn't making them.

The fact that he isn't a game developer didn't faze him. The fact that he doesn't understand gaming didn't faze him. Getting sued and forcibly removed from two industries didn't faze him. Having every single publisher tell him to go gently caress himself didn't faze him. Zero lessons were learned. He would, with no knowledge and no ability, make an incredibly complex game and beat actual game developers at their own game in every area and in every genre simultaneously. Not because he knew how, or because he had an idea, but because he was Chris Roberts.

The funny thing is, people who saw this coming knew it would fail for the exact same reason he knew it would succeed. Chris Roberts isn't just a Fraud Elemental - he's the Avatar of Failure.

That gives me an idea for a new Ultima game.

I'm still going to stand by my assumption that to CR, the graphics made the game. He very much believed that complex systems just go together like legos, and you can build super complex little chunks of something and they all work perfectly when you put them together.

He never respected the code part of the product. He'd look at something like Uncharted and just take for granted the tremendous level of expertise that went into making that game actually function. He only saw the graphics, and assumed everything else was easy and you can just layer in programming on top of great assets and a game is born.

Unfortunately for me though, what I didn't expect was that a lot of other people also felt this was true too. And now he's a millionaire for being an ignoramus and totally failing to understand what he's doing. And since he's hit it big, he never has to learn.

All the stuff we're bitching about and his followers are bitching about I doubt he cares anymore. This show is a car going down an infinite hill with a brick on the gas and the car is empty.

Nobody will care when the car crashes. Nobody who owns the car will get hurt. The car will just get destroyed. But every inch the car goes it wins like $50,000 just for rolling and not hitting a tree and exploding.

CR is sometimes moving the road in front of the car so it will roll further and faster, but he's stopped caring about it. Unfortunately there are people all along the walls throwing money at it. Eventually it's going to crash into some of them.

I can see CR getting out of the project and maybe helping other ventures to "fund their Dreams" while taking profits. His whole platform will be "lie to them. Tell them everything they want to hear. Make it look real pretty."

A lot of people can't do this because they have emotions and can't willingly screw other people over. Other people have fear of reprisals. But there are still people out there like CR who will break your car window because they see $5 on your console and feel like they need to have it and not care a bit.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
OK well I tried to get some fun out of this, maybe failed I dunno.
There is just so little to do, I have never landed on a planet so tried that.

In the end the sincerity of the music under the unfolding farce did make me laugh so job done I guess :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LuvyHZgOMdE

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

In the end the sincerity of the music under the unfolding farce did make me laugh so job done I guess :v:

o9 commando. :five:

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Ohhh and for the people asking about where commandos go when they become the ship a while ago, here is that vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHwALwXSvEI

Edit: Holy poo poo how smooth is this video compared to now?

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

owns

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

peter gabriel posted:

Your avatar has a better framerate than Star Citizen.

I can't fathom how frustrating it was to put that video together, but I'm happy you did

o%

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Foo Diddley posted:

Ben Lesnick, Developer

Remote Developer, Extrmely Still Empolyed Here Though

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Cao Ni Ma posted:

We always knew it would end with the most fanatical blaming themselves before they blamed their god

I know its 'morbid' and not looked highly upon to actually discuss it, but the murder/suicide statics after the project fails, could be a really interesting case study for some psychologist.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ComfyPants posted:

Your avatar has a better framerate than Star Citizen.

I can't fathom how frustrating it was to put that video together, but I'm happy you did

o%

It was pretty joyless, it's odd. Sanitised and over complicated now and not another commando to be seen pretty much anywhere.
It used to be a real poo poo game but it had this DIY feel about it, it had this certain charm like fun could be round any corner and that's been stripped out now.

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral

peter gabriel posted:

It was pretty joyless, it's odd. Sanitised and over complicated now and not another commando to be seen pretty much anywhere.
It used to be a real poo poo game but it had this DIY feel about it, it had this certain charm like fun could be round any corner and that's been stripped out now.

It makes me sad watching it. Maybe it's the music you added. Your direction is very on point.

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral
Also, I know I already derailed this thread enough with the whole jizzing thing, but I have to make it known that I've been clean 6 months today. It's been a tough road, and the cravings suck, but I'm proud of my progress and confident I'll keep it up.

(Part of the reason I talk about this here is because it actually motivates me to keep going. I dread having to make a "welp, I'm using again" post and encourage you to attack me with maximum mockery if I ever have to do so...but I don't think I will have to :cool: )

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

It doesn’t help that they’ve well... not fixed the bugs, but have kind of walled a bunch of them off behind immersion switches and other intrusive poo poo.

At least the bugs were entertaining, you know? Now the slog through the grey nonsense to find that same kind of fun is so arduous that the payoff isn’t worth it. I’ve tried like three or four times now to make a video where I go gently caress around on one of the planets but god drat if I don’t get there and just give up. Star Citizen is like... aggressively dull

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

Aqua Seafoam Shame posted:

Also, I know I already derailed this thread enough with the whole jizzing thing, but I have to make it known that I've been clean 6 months today. It's been a tough road, and the cravings suck, but I'm proud of my progress and confident I'll keep it up.

(Part of the reason I talk about this here is because it actually motivates me to keep going. I dread having to make a "welp, I'm using again" post and encourage you to attack me with maximum mockery if I ever have to do so...but I don't think I will have to :cool: )

not jizzing for 6 months sounds like a tough road. goonspeed

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral

Awesome! posted:

not jizzing for 6 months sounds like a tough road. goonspeed

You don't want to know how many ice packs I've gone through :)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beet Wagon posted:

It doesn’t help that they’ve well... not fixed the bugs, but have kind of walled a bunch of them off behind immersion switches and other intrusive poo poo.

At least the bugs were entertaining, you know? Now the slog through the grey nonsense to find that same kind of fun is so arduous that the payoff isn’t worth it. I’ve tried like three or four times now to make a video where I go gently caress around on one of the planets but god drat if I don’t get there and just give up. Star Citizen is like... aggressively dull

It's pretty grim, I mean I actually wanted to land on a planet but that's the best I could do :v:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Hey dude congrats, like for real. Keep up the good work!

Aqua Seafoam Shame
Aug 20, 2018

by astral

Beet Wagon posted:

Hey dude congrats, like for real. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the kind words! Much appreciated :)

To celebrate, I pre-ordered Spider-Man. It better not suck.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
*Kramers into the room and open palm slams a hundo on Jerry's countertop*

"I'm out."

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

peter gabriel posted:

I would buy back in if they gave us 60FPS and the GTA-like shenanigans that was possible; just to grief the backers. It would own.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

peter gabriel posted:

<3

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

<3 also

Grubby Hobo
Feb 13, 2018

There's something else about bears not many people know. If a bear gets hooked on the taste of crowdfunding, it becomes a man-killer. He'll go on a rampage and has to be destroyed. And that's why you should never hug a bear.

peter gabriel posted:

Well done! If there is any justice, "My space butt quivers with excitement" will be in Bartlett's Quotations someday.

Combat Theory
Jul 16, 2017

Finally a new pgabz video. Oh no his brain implant causes star citizen to run like hammered dog poo poo. Sorry pgabz, the others will enjoy star citizen bug free and in highest fidelity and performance since that now that CIG claims they delivered, the gsme can't possibly be bad.

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

Ported over from PS2.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Combat Theory posted:

Finally a new pgabz video. Oh no his brain implant causes star citizen to run like hammered dog poo poo. Sorry pgabz, the others will enjoy star citizen bug free and in highest fidelity and performance since that now that CIG claims they delivered, the gsme can't possibly be bad.

I'd have to agree with them, the game is amazing

Rad Russian
Aug 15, 2007

Soviet Power Supreme!

peter gabriel posted:

Ohhh and for the people asking about where commandos go when they become the ship a while ago, here is that vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UHwALwXSvEI

Edit: Holy poo poo how smooth is this video compared to now?

Oh yeah there it is. I'm pretty sure the rotating arms in the despawned/teleported model also correspond to the ship model's commando turning the steering wheel while on the other side of the star system. The genius of Croberts has recreated quantum entanglement in Star Engine.

Rad Russian fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Aug 30, 2018

Deadguy2322
Dec 16, 2017

Greatness Awaits

peter gabriel posted:

I'd have to agree with them, the game is amazing

People often forget that amazing doesn’t automatically mean good.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Deadguy2322 posted:

People often forget that amazing doesn’t automatically mean good.

Agreed o8

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Rad Russian posted:

Oh yeah there it is. I'm pretty sure the rotating arms in the despawned/teleported model also correspond to the ship model's commando turning the steering wheel while on the other side of the star system. The genius of Croberts has recreated quantum entanglement in Star Engine.

Yeah the moving wrists, that was always my take on that too, I'm certain that's what it is

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

f

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

peter gabriel posted:

This was like the faithful continuation of Arthur C. Clarke's Space sagas. This one should be titled, "2018: A Config-File Hacking Odyssey"

Well done, Commando o9

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

peter gabriel posted:

This is great. It gave me a bit of a headache though because it's soooooooooooooo jerky.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I feel like 75% of the work they've done on SC over the past 4 years has been desperately, frantically trying to find some way, any way, God help us, to keep pgabz from getting through that window

Like I can imagine them having tense, depressing meetings about this video

"Johnson, God, Johnson you swore to us! The loving window Johnson! You said the walk zone would - but he - He got through the -" Chris cuts off, forcing down tears. He collects himself as the 48 employees in the room nervously look elsewhere. Finally, he whispers, raggedly. "H-he got. Through the window again."

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Morphix posted:

that fishscale theorycrafting

He can't think of any game where you can choose to make NPC friends? Has this guy never heard of The Sims?

Dogeh
Aug 30, 2017

ShitMeter: -------------|- 99%

peter gabriel posted:

F

Beautiful sacophone filled video of awesmnss.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Backers will need NPC friends because all the nonbelievers who didn't back SC will be working as hired help and no citizen would associate with the commoners.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/Uan2XT5.gifv