Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
This'll potentially be of interest to no one, but today I learned that the Polish bread spread paste thing known as paprykarz was developed in the 1960s (after a fishing company wanted to find a use for fish scraps) inspired by a West African dish (chop-chop, which the company fishermen were introduced to in native ports). I always assumed it was it was some sort of traditional polish cheap meal.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Aug 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

mila kunis posted:

Crazy. I can't imagine living in a country where the vast majority of the media toes the same line on major issues.

It's not the same. I apparently need to stress this, so:

the US having a lot of conglomerated corporate media with even highly homogeneous editorial positions is not the same as a multi-decade state monopoly on the press across all media systems and companies, strongly concentrated and controlled by the state intelligence apparatus.

MSNBC is not Fox News, which is not Sinclair, which is not Al Jazeera, which is not RT, and none of those really compare to the situation in Russia. 60% was an incredibly generous overstatement.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Aug 30, 2018

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!
lol at people in western democracies rushing in to equivocate their news with that situation.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Rinkles posted:

This'll potentially be of interest to no one, but today I learned that the Polish bread spread paste thing known as paprykarz was developed in the 1960s (after a fishing company wanted to find a use for fish scraps) inspired by a West African dish (chop-chop, which the company fishermen were introduced to in native ports). I always assumed it was it was some sort of traditional polish cheap meal.

Polish people are so poor they don't even get real bread, but "bread paste" invented by a 1960s era Communist factory manager as an innovative way to process fish scraps

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Remember the scandal when it came out that Nutella used a worse recipe in EE? I think less nuts and more sugar or something.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Paprykarz sounds freaking delish.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Shy posted:

And why American is.

We sure as he'll don't speak English but we use a lot of the same words.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

aphid_licker posted:

Remember the scandal when it came out that Nutella used a worse recipe in EE? I think less nuts and more sugar or something.

If you've lived in both Western and Eastern Europe it's plainly evident for a bunch of things. (Or at least was a decade plus ago).

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Is the Staropramen I drink in Ukraine better in Czechia?

I don't know how, but PBR has shown up in my small mountain town in three different places.

the heat goes wrong
Dec 31, 2005
I´m watching you...

Paladinus posted:

Putin does a good job of distancing himself from unpopular decisions. I don't think this will affect his support significantly, unfortunately. The 'good Czar, bad boyars' mindset is really strong.

Putins support has dropped from 80% to 64% thanks to this. While he pushes publicity for most negative decisions on Medvedev, the pension reform is unpopular enough to move even his popularity.

In other Eastern European New, Rudolph Giulani is protesting that Romania isn't corrupt enough and demands amnesty for people convicted of corruption. :allears:

the heat goes wrong fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Aug 30, 2018

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

the heat goes wrong posted:

In other Eastern European New, Rudolph Giulani is protesting that Romania isn't corrupt enough and demands amnesty for people convicted of corruption. :allears:

I was thinking about this today, I remember in this thread a few years ago we were excited about Romanian anti-corruption arresting a bunch of politicians and being cool as hell. Now what I hear is that the social-democrats got the head of the anti-corruption department to resign? And there are huge protests? What's going on?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Are there any sizeable renewable energy initiatives in Russia? Or has Putin banned those as well?

chesnok
Nov 14, 2014

Grouchio posted:

Are there any sizeable renewable energy initiatives in Russia? Or has Putin banned those as well?

We're already world's #1 at best renewable energy - atomic.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

For a moment I read that as "from Belgium to Brazil" and was very puzzled.

Shy
Mar 20, 2010

deleted

Shy fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 3, 2018

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

DPR's Zakharchenko just got killed in Donetsk by a bomb hidden in or by (diverging records, DPR says it was inside cafe while Ukrainian media reports a car bomb) the cafe he chose for dinner. DPR has confirmed his death.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
So they ran out of elevators?

HorrificExistence
Jun 25, 2017

by Athanatos

cinci zoo sniper posted:

DPR's Zakharchenko just got killed in Donetsk by a bomb hidden in or by (diverging records, DPR says it was inside cafe while Ukrainian media reports a car bomb) the cafe he chose for dinner. DPR has confirmed his death.

this is troubling

https://twitter.com/W7VOA/status/1035561650684878851

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Might just be a coincidence, but funny it happened around the same time as this story broke, given Manafort’s connections to Russophile Ukrainians:

https://twitter.com/bpolitics/status/1035586036896858113?s=21

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

The fighting in Ukraine has been status quo for so long hopefully this doesn't mean escalation is coming.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

HUGE PUBES A PLUS posted:

The fighting in Ukraine has been status quo for so long hopefully this doesn't mean escalation is coming.

Some experts predict de-escalation, actually. They say Russia is fed up with DNR and LNR, and pouring resources into them, and wants those territories back into Ukraine (with more local autonomy, of course) to have a chance at a Ukrainian president who's at least not hostile to Russia. But some people back in 2016 also said Russia would return Crimea by 2018, because of lack of resources to maintain it and failing infrastructure projects like the Kerch bridge, so who knows.

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Paladinus posted:

Some experts predict de-escalation, actually. They say Russia is fed up with DNR and LNR, and pouring resources into them, and wants those territories back into Ukraine to have a chance at a Ukrainian president who's at least not hostile to Russia. But some people back in 2016 also said Russia would return Crimea by 2018, because of lack of resources to maintain it and failing infrastructure projects like the Kerch bridge, so who knows.

That doesn't really seem like Russia's modus operandi though, which is to support unrecognized breakaway states in the near-abroad to exist. And really to do nothing more than that. It keeps that country in turmoil and instantly off the NATO candidate list to boot. This is what we've seen in Georgia and Moldova both, twice over with the former.

Of course this also means they wouldn't want escalation either. The status quo of a breakaway state existing in agonizing limbo for the original state is the idea.

Then again again, we did always get the strong feeling that DNR and LNR were much more ....Russia created as entities rather than Russia supported local forces as in Georgia and Moldova.

PsychedelicWarlord
Sep 8, 2016

https://twitter.com/Mortis_Banned/status/1035553957962244096?s=19

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

It would kinda not surprise me at all if Russia blew him up as an excuse to openly and directly escalate in Ukraine, but who knows.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

hailthefish posted:

It would kinda not surprise me at all if Russia blew him up as an excuse to openly and directly escalate in Ukraine, but who knows.

I was thinking that but just to get rid of the guy. It's not like he covered himself in glory the last little while.

Hal_2005
Feb 23, 2007

hailthefish posted:

There is an internal power struggle between GRU and the Russian army (georgian mafia) to control Donetsk's illegal coal mines. GRU blew up one Donetsk strongman, in response the putin Czech's recalled the replacement. In response, GRU has been knocking off all the Wagner strawmen so their guy can get nominated for Donetsk leader in April 2019.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin

Paladinus posted:

Some experts predict de-escalation, actually. They say Russia is fed up with DNR and LNR, and pouring resources into them, and wants those territories back into Ukraine (with more local autonomy, of course) to have a chance at a Ukrainian president who's at least not hostile to Russia. But some people back in 2016 also said Russia would return Crimea by 2018, because of lack of resources to maintain it and failing infrastructure projects like the Kerch bridge, so who knows.

Ukraine doesn't want those territories either as they would take billions to rebuild, money Ukraine doesn't have even if they wanted to. That includes Crimea, which was and is a subsidized region. For Ukraine right now, forcing Russia to pour money into those black holes is a good thing and keeps half the sanctions on them (i don't remember which ones are formally for Crimea and which for Lugandon). Both countries are in a state of trying to wait until the other one gives up or collapses

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort
https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/moscow-kiev-tug-war-religious-future-ukraine-57421026

Ukrainian church is preparing to declare independence from Russian church, which will be a major schism in orthodox Christianity.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Doctor Malaver posted:

https://abcnews.go.com/Technology/wireStory/moscow-kiev-tug-war-religious-future-ukraine-57421026

Ukrainian church is preparing to declare independence from Russian church, which will be a major schism in orthodox Christianity.

It's not a schism. The largest Orthodox schism in modern history has happened when the unrecognised Kievan Patriarchate was established. Now it's the opposite, because the aim is to give actual canonical recognition to Ukraine's claim for their own autocephalous church. The problem is, of course, that not all Ukrainian Orthodox Christians from all existing demominations (the official Moscow Patriarchate is nominally the most numerous, followed by non-canonical Kievan Patriarchate and Ukrainian Autocephalous Orthodox Church) would want to join the newly proclaimed patriarchate. Around 20% of Ukrainians outside of occupied territories (meaning no Crimea, and Donbass) feel strongly against autocephaly according to polls. At this point in time Ukrainian autocephaly will cause a lot of unrest and religious violence, especially when the new patriarchate and other churches start fighting over ecclesial property and land, exacerbating pre-existing conflicts between Greek Catholics and aforementioned Orthodox Christians. It's happened many times before, and is bound to happen again. This, in turn, may help Russia's support on occupied territories, or at least opposition to Ukrainian government, from general population.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

That is some 16th century poo poo. Amazing.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009
It's worth noting that Ukraine has some unusual laws that may come into play. Essentially the members of a church have the right to vote to kick out their existing clergy and change denominations. That had already happened a few times with Moscow Patriarchate churches, usually when they refused to hold services for Ukrainian servicemen killed in action.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

OddObserver posted:

It's worth noting that Ukraine has some unusual laws that may come into play. Essentially the members of a church have the right to vote to kick out their existing clergy and change denominations. That had already happened a few times with Moscow Patriarchate churches, usually when they refused to hold services for Ukrainian servicemen killed in action.

There are intraecclesial canonical ways in Orthodoxy for parishioners to ask for a different priest or even a bishop in case of scandalous behaviour. Are you sure you're thinking about secular law?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Paladinus posted:

There are intraecclesial canonical ways in Orthodoxy for parishioners to ask for a different priest or even a bishop in case of scandalous behaviour. Are you sure you're thinking about secular law?

I am not certain, but I don't see how religious laws could permit change of the Patriarchate a parish reports to in a way that's compatible with civil private property rights.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

OddObserver posted:

I am not certain, but I don't see how religious laws could permit change of the Patriarchate a parish reports to in a way that's compatible with civil private property rights.

From that perspective the easiest way to legally change jurisdiction is to terminate the existing religious organisation (i.e. the parish) and simply create a new one by transferring all assets to it. But parishioners are not always legal members of the religious organisation with property rights, so it's almost impossible to change jurisdictions and retaining all church property without the priest and/or all other official proprietors on your side. In some cases a small minority of parishioners can block legal transition, and that's where the situation usually escalates to violence.

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Donetsk and Lunansk are dummy rebels. Crimea was always the real target of Russia's ukrain gamble.

As soon as Russia solidified their control of crimea both don and luha were left to fend for themselves.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSEpkalRgvU
Rare earth video on BUNKERS

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Doctor Malaver posted:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Remember the crazy spy movie plot with the attempted assassination of the Russian journalist Babchenko? The middleman plead guilty and got 4.5 years. Now maybe I missed it, but the hired assassin:

quote:

Oleksiy Tsymbaliuk, a former Ukrainian Orthodox priest, told the BBC earlier this year that he had alerted security services as soon as Mr Herman, a fellow Ukrainian, asked him to kill Mr Babchenko.

:laffo:

Anyway, not seeing any interesting new details apart from that for now. Here's the article: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-45383338

RedSnapper
Nov 22, 2016

My tax money hard at work
:poland:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
Meanwhile in Estonia, two Russian agents have been arrested. For passing secrets to GRU. A father and a son, the son having been in the defense force. Since being a conscript in 1998 to now having been a lower ranking officer in the general staff.

He was also kind of a poster boy for integration based on some of his opinions on some public discussion show on TV. So that was a good ruse, I guess.

Here's hoping for a life sentence...