Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

woodch
Jun 13, 2000

This'll kill ya!

Wark Say posted:

That's campy as hell. I sorta like it.

Me too. Can you imagine it under stage lights? It'd be radioactive!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Here's some dumb music poo poo, who makes flatwound strings for guitar?

Due to the nature of piezos the Variax has this issue where your pick sliding on the wound strings makes a really audible and awful sound when you've got any sort of distortion going. I think flatwounds would alleviate this problem but I'm sure it'll be too warm for anything metal. I thought I might as well try it.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
D'Addario XL Chromes

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

I didn't know Liberace had a signature LP.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Confession time (and a hat tip to Spanish Manlove for always being of this position): the Circle of Tone guy is such a jerkoff. I genuinely found the idea of what he was doing interesting but holy moly all these youtube dudes can't help themselves. Whether he's bitching about how music isn't good anymore because of programmed drums or having a slapfight with the Anderton's guy it's just too much. Also, it's possible that even if they weren't unbearable morons before creating their channels, having to constantly churn out content for youtube must turn these peoples' brains to mush.

Seinfeld_im_leaving.gif

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

Confession time (and a hat tip to Spanish Manlove for always being of this position): the Circle of Tone guy is such a jerkoff. I genuinely found the idea of what he was doing interesting but holy moly all these youtube dudes can't help themselves. Whether he's bitching about how music isn't good anymore because of programmed drums or having a slapfight with the Anderton's guy it's just too much. Also, it's possible that even if they weren't unbearable morons before creating their channels, having to constantly churn out content for youtube must turn these peoples' brains to mush.

Seinfeld_im_leaving.gif

is that the dude that melted down at me for saying "why is this video 20 minutes long instead of a single picture and 1min of iron maiden riffs?"

edit: forgot i can google stuff. yeah he's a fuckin loser

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
i don't disagree with him about modern production sucking the life out of everything but yeah he loves to take his sweet rear end time getting to the point

fun fact: his dad was the drummer in badfinger, a band nobody's thought about in close to four decades

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The problem is a lack of creativity. Don't blame the tools. Also, lol Badfinger.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Now, Goldfinger is a different matter. :dance:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Dang It Bhabhi! posted:

The problem is a lack of creativity. Don't blame the tools. Also, lol Badfinger.

lackluster production is a part the dearth of creativity going on

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The problem, I feel, is that a lot of engineers are afraid that if they speak up, business might dry. I remember multiple times doing a rad job recording / mixing something that I feel would make my client satisfied, only to get the mastered result some time later and get a clipped mess.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
totally unrelated but lol between the buried and me is playing the state fair this year. granted it's basically a hometown show but still

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
This is music poo poo that was too stupid to exist rather than actual stupid music poo poo but I've always wondered why between the vinyl revival and the cassette revival nobody seemed to be enough of a hipster to attempt an 8-track revival. I honestly think it'd be kind of a fun gimmick for a stoner band.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Anime Reference posted:

This is music poo poo that was too stupid to exist rather than actual stupid music poo poo but I've always wondered why between the vinyl revival and the cassette revival nobody seemed to be enough of a hipster to attempt an 8-track revival. I honestly think it'd be kind of a fun gimmick for a stoner band.
(kinda?) Joke Answer: It's Steve Albini's fault.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
the melvins put out a couple 8-track releases in the 90s when gen x 70s nostalgia was at its peak

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Muppets On PCP posted:

lackluster production is a part the dearth of creativity going on

:same:

Anime Reference posted:

8-tracks are inarguably dogshit.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Speaking of lovely mixes, I have been seeing a ton of retrospectives about the mix on And Justice For All

And I realized reading them, to my great amusement, that there's basically no mentions of Kirk Hammett at all. It's a stupid music poo poo story where you can say "and also the lead guitarist was around somewhere, I guess" and that really tickles me :mmmhmm:

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Shugojin posted:

Speaking of lovely mixes, I have been seeing a ton of retrospectives about the mix on And Justice For All

And I realized reading them, to my great amusement, that there's basically no mentions of Kirk Hammett at all. It's a stupid music poo poo story where you can say "and also the lead guitarist was around somewhere, I guess" and that really tickles me :mmmhmm:

"And also, there was Kirk Hammett" kind of describes most of Metallica's career, I think.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Jason Sextro posted:

"And also, there was Kirk Hammett" kind of describes most of Metallica's career, I think.

:hmmyes:

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Shugojin posted:

other than during the load/reload sessions, he basically just shows up to record solos and splits

tbf a lot of bands work that way since it's faster to just have one person come in to track rhythm parts. slayer's done it like that since seasons in the abyss

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Same with Carcass (at least with the 2 records + EP they did with Amott), Anthrax and Darkest Hour. In my old band it was basically "Whoever composes the main riff plays all the rhythms".

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Muppets On PCP posted:

other than during the load/reload sessions, he basically just shows up to record solos and splits

tbf a lot of bands work that way since it's faster to just have one person come in to track rhythm parts. slayer's done it like that since seasons in the abyss

I knew that it was that way for Metallica, but who's playing all the rhythm for Slayer? Gonna assume it's Jeff unless it's one of those (lovely) tracks that only Kerry has writing credits for.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

s.i.r.e. posted:

I knew that it was that way for Metallica, but who's playing all the rhythm for Slayer? Gonna assume it's Jeff unless it's one of those (lovely) tracks that only Kerry has writing credits for.

kerry

he'd use jeff's rig to do his parts though so it'd sound a little different

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

I'll also remind everyone that it's bullshit that Jeff Hanneman died at only 49

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
also don't wait to seek medical attention if you got some weird insect bite

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

Yeah if you got something weird going on with your body go straight to a medical professional

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

A medical professional isn't gonna do much for his drinking problem tho. :(

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Stupid Music poo poo III: ShredMD

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Jason Sextro posted:

Lol. Also at whoever itt said Lars is allergic to the downbeat. I'm a drummer and that's such a perfect and succinct way to describe it.

Shugojin posted:

Yeah. Rolling Stone just had a thing. And I consider Rolling Stone properly Stupid Music poo poo. I guess it's a decently well-written summary that still says we're not getting Justice with bass ever. Remastered versions of the first 3 on Spotify though!

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/metallicas-and-justice-for-all-album-what-happened-to-bass-715079/

Wark Say posted:

"Whoever composes the main riff plays all the rhythms".

That usually works for me especially if the guitar player has a set rhythm in their head. Otherwise, one of the most fun things about being a drummer is playing the total opposite of what you're hearing in your head because I'm that rear end in a top hat. :)

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Shugojin posted:

IIRC Kirk did all the solos in like 6 days because it took James and Lars so long to overproduce and rerecord everything like 40 times. A lot of cocaine was involved in both endeavors.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > No Music Discussion > Musician's Lounge > Stupid Music poo poo II: Signature Edition (Do you like Halo 2?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUUa112HA78

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

aw yeah.

That's the good poo poo.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

hexwren posted:

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > No Music Discussion > Musician's Lounge > Stupid Music poo poo II: Signature Edition (Do you like Halo 2?)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RUUa112HA78

This is legendary. Steve Vai rules so much. It’s really cool getting to see all of that come together.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

chloe dot gif times infinity.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
I really liked that video and seeing the interplay between Nile Rodgers and Steve Vai and the way they communicate. Vai is incredible talented and versatile on his instrument, but it's obvious that a producer holding the reins is the difference between an interesting composition and a ridiculous wanking session.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

I saw that and immediately thought NINJA HIGH SCHOOL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxiqM2UrXgw

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

fzA455 posted:

Lol. Also at whoever itt said Lars is allergic to the downbeat. I'm a drummer and that's such a perfect and succinct way to describe it.

Yeah. Rolling Stone just had a thing. And I consider Rolling Stone properly Stupid Music poo poo. I guess it's a decently well-written summary that still says we're not getting Justice with bass ever. Remastered versions of the first 3 on Spotify though!

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/metallicas-and-justice-for-all-album-what-happened-to-bass-715079/

That usually works for me especially if the guitar player has a set rhythm in their head. Otherwise, one of the most fun things about being a drummer is playing the total opposite of what you're hearing in your head because I'm that rear end in a top hat. :)
Now you I like.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Speaking of Metallica and stupid poo poo-
https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usatoday.com/amp/1143540002

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Wow, that's another level of dumb. My tone booze.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

That's literally not how anything works.