Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Album-oriented rock is where rock began its long slow death and greatest hits albums at least let people hear singles instead of aimless filler

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

CheesyDog posted:

Album-oriented rock is where rock began its long slow death and greatest hits albums at least let people hear singles instead of aimless filler

Concept albums rule.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I like cohesive albums and I think that when albums have a well-executed concept, they tend to rule pretty hard (like My Arms, Your Hears and Still Life from Opeth).

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Classic rock can be really overexposed because of radio and bars. I used to work at a bar and how do you think I feel about Queen after hearing their well composed and well written most popular 10 songs 1000,000000,000000,0 00000,00,00, 0,0,0, 0,,0,000000000000000000000 times?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Salt Fish posted:

Classic rock can be really overexposed because of radio and bars. I used to work at a bar and how do you think I feel about Queen after hearing their well composed and well written most popular 10 songs 1000,000000,000000,0 00000,00,00, 0,0,0, 0,,0,000000000000000000000 times?

I couldn't stand Led Zeppelin for a couple years after I got out of college.

Krustic
Mar 28, 2010

Everything I say draws controversy. It's kinda like the abortion issue.
Can’t decide if it’s stupid or awesome. Leaning towards stupid.
https://reverb.com/item/11843055-sleek-guitar-bass-combo-single-neck-2010-white-gloss

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Krustic posted:

Can’t decide if it’s stupid or awesome. Leaning towards stupid.
https://reverb.com/item/11843055-sleek-guitar-bass-combo-single-neck-2010-white-gloss

It's stupid as gently caress, holy poo poo that neck would be awful to play.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hint: When doing a "2-instruments-in-1" type of deal, you want to make it as functional as possible. For all their unwieldiness and real-estate, double-necks work fine for the most part.

donut
Feb 4, 2001

I saw one of these at guitar center a while back, this is the way to do the double-sided-double-neck and have it actually kinda work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qxM61OTV6zM

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Still dumb as hell but at least it doesn't have a square neck that's an inch and a half thick.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

CheesyDog posted:

I’m genuinely curious about this, what format do you think would have worked better? I know that sounds defensive, but I don’t mean it that way. I mean I guess I’ve never really questioned the Industry mandated nature of releasing music in “album” format as up for debate. The necessity of the album format seems pretty easy to understand when you factor in real world constraints like the high cost of studio time, economics of print media overhead cost and people feeling like they’re not getting their money’s worth without 40 minutes to an hour of content per purchase, etc.

I suppose by contrast, it seems like the “purest“ kind of music wouldn’t necessarily be released in the form of albums, but rather the production and release of music would be more likely follow when inspiration strikes the musician, so music releases might instead happen in smaller parts, which might look like like many singles released over time, or a small group of 2 - 5 songs released at once covering a cohesive theme as opposed to The musician being forced to fill an album’s worth of time.

I mean nowadays, with streaming services operating the way they do and the fact that building a music studio is more affordable than ever before, often more affordable than many instruments it will record, right now is probably the closest we’ve ever been to being able to record and distribute music at the same pace and frequency we can create it.

But all of this stuff wasn’t available until quite recently. What format do you think would have worked better for rock or pop than the album over the past six or seven decades?

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

GreatGreen posted:

I’m genuinely curious about this, what format do you think would have worked better? I know that sounds defensive, but I don’t mean it that way. I mean I guess I’ve never really questioned the Industry mandated nature of releasing music in “album” format as up for debate. The necessity of the album format seems pretty easy to understand when you factor in real world constraints like the high cost of studio time, economics of print media overhead cost and people feeling like they’re not getting their money’s worth without 40 minutes to an hour of content per purchase, etc.

I suppose by contrast, it seems like the “purest“ kind of music wouldn’t necessarily be released in the form of albums, but rather the production and release of music would be more likely follow when inspiration strikes the musician, so music releases might instead happen in smaller parts, which might look like like many singles released over time, or a small group of 2 - 5 songs released at once covering a cohesive theme as opposed to The musician being forced to fill an album’s worth of time.

I mean nowadays, with streaming services operating the way they do and the fact that building a music studio is more affordable than ever before, often more affordable than many instruments it will record, right now is probably the closest we’ve ever been to being able to record and distribute music at the same pace and frequency we can create it.

But all of this stuff wasn’t available until quite recently. What format do you think would have worked better for rock or pop than the album over the past six or seven decades?

Eh, partly just trying to shut down Eagle chat with some hot takes so I wasn't being completely serious, BUT I do kind of think the focus on the "serious late 60s/early 70s art album" had a lot of negative consequences for the genre long-term.

An example, you can hear the number of covers and reinterpretations drop off the charts steadily as things shifted towards the album format and you lose stuff like Motown trying songs with different artists until they had a great version of the song. You start to get a lot of bloat and self-indulgence (part of that's just the style getting expanded so much so fast), artist output seems to fall off from several singles a year and an album with new and old stuff on it to bands going years between releases, stuff like that. Small bands that could put out some
regional singles and build end up stalling out because they don't have a time and resources for a 12-song professional debut.

You get this vibe where if an album's not life changing boundary pushing stuff it's not worth anything, and a "greatest hits album" (that has the songs most people will want to hear anyway) is inferior to an album, even if you want to skip half the album tracks.

I think an interesting different path that never really got pushed after album formats got big would be the label-specific singles compilations, heck a lot of my favorite songs are stuff from scene compilations or label compilations where the artists only ever had studio time for a few songs.

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.
I think the CD format was a bigger problem because people started feeling cheated with only 40 minutes of music on them; it started introducing bloat to fill time while making it easier to skip said bloat, meaning a lot more crap was put unchecked on albums.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
At least they had the sense to make it a hardtail.

Why did Fender stop making hardtail Strats, anyway? The only current one I can find is a bottom-tier Squier Bullet.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I would buy a CV quality equivalent hardtail Squier Strat so fast tbh

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Anime Reference posted:

At least they had the sense to make it a hardtail.

Why did Fender stop making hardtail Strats, anyway? The only current one I can find is a bottom-tier Squier Bullet.

If a block of wood is good enough for Clapton, it's good enough for you.

(Tone block)

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Anime Reference posted:

there's still the robert cray signature model and a bunch of charvels

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

Jonny Nox posted:

If a block of wood is good enough for Clapton, it's good enough for you.

(Tone block)

tone COINS wrapped in tone tape

field balm
Feb 5, 2012

2-4 track eps are pretty much the perfect format imo.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

*cracks knuckles*

albums are top tier perfect
eps are pretty close to that level
splits are always annoying
demos are cool when they’re nasty old school metal demos

there are my thoughts on this boring derail

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Recommend a cab to go with an Ampeg V4

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Ampeg 410

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Yep.

The best bass rig I’ve ever heard used two of them sitting side by side. Amazing.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Sorry, guitar cab for an Ampeg V4.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

CheesyDog posted:

I recommend one of my two 1960a 4x12s which you can pick up in the DC area at a very reasonable price.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

As a bass dilettante, it's interesting to see bass amps come and go as the latest fad. Seems like these were the bass amps everyone had to have (and then get rid of) since the late 80s....

- Peavey Mk 3, 4
- Trace Elliot (with the neon lights!)
- SWR
- the return of the Ampeg SVT
- generic power amps with bass preamps, racks everywhere
- David Eden heads
and nowdays to the MarkBass ultralight stuff. Where to next?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

CheesyDog posted:

Marshall 1960a or b

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

Gold hardware always looks so corny.

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

New New Fresh posted:

Stupid music poo poo content: Here's my soviet guitar I overpaid for a few years back.

Neither of the two shops I took it to could figure out how to get the truss rod working in this weird Bulgarian design so I've just been keeping it in drop C or baritone tuning to keep the action low. It has single coils and makes a weird clanking noise if you hit the strings too hard

I'm a drummer anyway, I don't need to care about tone or whatever

There's a large Facebook group called Awesome Cheap Guitars. If you get in there and post that guitar with your concerns, I guarantee multiple people will give very specific info on that guitar, as well as how to fix it up. If you're interested. :)

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

OutOfPrint posted:

Gold hardware always looks so corny.

:golfclap:

I want a matte black super strat with gold hardware

fartzone_42069
Oct 11, 2009

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
That's campy as hell. I sorta like it.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Wark Say posted:

That's campy as hell. I sorta like it.

av/post combo really working.

It really follows the "Stupid Music poo poo that I actually really want" theme of the thread.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Double post because Dave put a couple videos up recently for both aspects of the thread:

Stupid cool poo poo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQcHROaeBGQ&t=368s

Stupid poo poo:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-ibbOKL7WY

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Chrpno posted:

As a bass dilettante, it's interesting to see bass amps come and go as the latest fad. Seems like these were the bass amps everyone had to have (and then get rid of) since the late 80s....

- Peavey Mk 3, 4
- Trace Elliot (with the neon lights!)
- SWR
- the return of the Ampeg SVT
- generic power amps with bass preamps, racks everywhere
- David Eden heads
and nowdays to the MarkBass ultralight stuff. Where to next?

It's all about Barefaced and Vanderkley these days; people have gone right off MarkBass it seems. The colour scheme turned out to be both a blessing and a curse.

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

New New Fresh posted:

Stupid music poo poo content: Here's my soviet guitar I overpaid for a few years back.

Neither of the two shops I took it to could figure out how to get the truss rod working in this weird Bulgarian design so I've just been keeping it in drop C or baritone tuning to keep the action low. It has single coils and makes a weird clanking noise if you hit the strings too hard

I'm a drummer anyway, I don't need to care about tone or whatever

"Difficult Soviet guitar that makes clanking noises" is totally my bag, actually. That's pretty drat cool.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

darkwasthenight posted:

It's all about Barefaced and Vanderkley these days; people have gone right off MarkBass it seems. The colour scheme turned out to be both a blessing and a curse.

I see, well I'm sure every bass slinger will have one soon, MarkBass will never be talked of again

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

So I was looking for sound videos of this Mahogany MIJ Offset Telecaster with p90 style neck pickup. ($800)

I found

WHAT THE gently caress JAPAN??!??
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fx3QbAldg_A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
that's more informative and entertaining than 99% of youtube demos