Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
Google translates excited as в восторге

Wikitionary translates восторг as rapture, ecstasy, delight

Google translates the в as B so I'm not sure what that means

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

He was a scot and Glasgow native, screaming in scots/english/whatever

That's not a language, it's just the animal howls. I remember the first time ever I saw the Scotch in their natural habitat, and it weren't pretty. I'd seen them huddling in stations before, being loud but… this time I was surrounded. Everywhere I went it felt like they were watching me; fish-white flesh puckered by the Highland breeze; tight eyes peering out for fresh meat; screechy, booze-soaked voices hollering out for a taxi to take 'em halfway up the road to the next all-night watering hole. A shatter of glass; a round of applause; a sixteen-year-old mother of three vomiting in an open sewer, bairns looking on, chewing on potato cakes. I ain’t never going back… not never.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

One time one of my friends (who was born in Glasgow but she was brought to Ontario around maybe age 9, I think) showed me a video, drunk and out of context, of an also-drunk incoherent shouting white man and asked what language I thought he was speaking.

My answer, as someone who has studied enough russian to ask for a bathroom and not much else, was something like "um, not russian but slavic, maybe he's polish or czech?"

He was a scot and Glasgow native, screaming in scots/english/whatever

Obligatory Rab C. Nesbitt:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8k7VoFiagfs

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Historical fun fact: people pronounce things differently even if they nominally speak the same language! Large immigrant communities can affect this pronunciation and even add whole new words, or contribute to one synonym over another becoming default! Even in the passage of language from one generation to the next in a small, homogenous area, words and syntax will change!

All variations of a standardized language are actually equally weird, storied, and valid! This can be seen when, for example, comparing the latin of mediolanum to that of lutetia!

Apparently Daffy Duck single-handedly changed the pronounciation of 'despicable'.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Apparently Daffy Duck single-handedly changed the pronounciation of 'despicable'.

Wtf, it used to be stressed on the first syllable?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

duckmaster posted:

Google translates excited as в восторге

Wikitionary translates восторг as rapture, ecstasy, delight

Google translates the в as B so I'm not sure what that means

в means "in"

so the phrase literally translates as "in ecstasy" and still lacks the context of positively anticipating something.

the most equivalent way to express that sentiment is in fact a phrase: "с нетерпением жду" (impatiently waiting, looking forward to)

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Krankenstyle posted:

Wtf, it used to be stressed on the first syllable?

That's so sad. Alexa, play DesPAcito.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

God Hole posted:

в means "in"

so the phrase literally translates as "in ecstasy" and still lacks the context of positively anticipating something.

the most equivalent way to express that sentiment is in fact a phrase: "с нетерпением жду" (impatiently waiting, looking forward to)

tbh German also lacks a word that perfectly covers the meaning "excited" has in English. You could say "aufgeregt" or "gespannt" but they don't quite convey the same sense of anticipation as "excited" does. This doesn't mean that you can't express that sentiment in German, you just have to use a phrase instead of a single word, and it's absolutely normal to boot, because many if not most words in any language carry some specific meanings, connotations or associations that get lost in translation.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Ghost Leviathan posted:

And Bugs Bunny made "Nimrod" mean "idiot".

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
The Roadrunner turned "beep-beep" from an anti-Polish slur into a funny nonsense phrase.

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

That's not a language, it's just the animal howls. I remember the first time ever I saw the Scotch in their natural habitat, and it weren't pretty. I'd seen them huddling in stations before, being loud but… this time I was surrounded. Everywhere I went it felt like they were watching me; fish-white flesh puckered by the Highland breeze; tight eyes peering out for fresh meat; screechy, booze-soaked voices hollering out for a taxi to take 'em halfway up the road to the next all-night watering hole. A shatter of glass; a round of applause; a sixteen-year-old mother of three vomiting in an open sewer, bairns looking on, chewing on potato cakes. I ain’t never going back… not never.

Scotch is a drink.
Can't say I'm sorry you're not coming back.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

EmptyVessel posted:

Scotch is a drink.
Can't say I'm sorry you're not coming back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0IkGDptX6YI 12:10 if it doesn't pre-load

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

Blocked in my country.
Was it a source for BotL's unsourced quote?

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

EmptyVessel posted:

Blocked in my country.
Was it a source for BotL's unsourced quote?

Yes. Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, Episode 5, Scotch Mist

Duodecimal
Dec 28, 2012

Still stupid

BravestOfTheLamps posted:

The Roadrunner turned "beep-beep" from an anti-Polish slur into a funny nonsense phrase.

This must be archaic because a minimal effort search isn't turning anything up on this.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Duodecimal posted:

This must be archaic because a minimal effort search isn't turning anything up on this.

It’s a joke.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

CharlestheHammer posted:

It’s a joke.

A what?!

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Alaois posted:

A what?!

I think that’s a slur against the Dutch.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
The dutch are known for only eating the yolks of eggs, not the whites (racism?) so people called them yokels as a slur, later joke.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

wait is this true

Here's a stack exchange post talking about it

quote:

If you use words like возбужден (which usually refers to sexual arousal for most people and atom state for physics geeks) to express your excitement you're risking to sound either too formal and insincere or too cute and funny, in case people are aware you're just a learner.

Instead, this is what I as native Russian would say if I was to communicate your sentences.
This is rather informal so Queen wouldn't approve but that's how people speak in their 20's and 30's.

I'm very excited about my new job.

To a friend

Кажется, я устроился в классное место.
(Seems like I landed an awesome job.)

To an acuqaintance

Я очень рад, что получил эту работу.
(I'm really glad I got this job.)

My trip to Europe was so exciting.

To a friend

В Европе было круто.
(It was cool in Europe.)

To an acquaintance

Поездка в Европу была потрясающей.
(The Europe trip was terrific.)

Are you excited about going to the party?

To a friend

Ты как, хочешь пойти?
(Hey, would you rather stay or go?)

To an acquaintance

Думаешь, будет хорошая вечеринка?
(Do you reckon it'll be a great party?)

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Tunicate posted:

Here's a stack exchange post talking about it

There used to be a PYF language quirk thread but it died (because it was in GBS). Anyone up for another one?

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Peanut President posted:

The dutch are known for only eating the yolks of eggs, not the whites (racism?) so people called them yokels as a slur, later joke.

Please do your research before posting in this thread.
https://www.etymonline.com/word/yokel

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

pidan posted:

There used to be a PYF language quirk thread but it died (because it was in GBS). Anyone up for another one?

:11tea: yea

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

Carbon dioxide posted:

it was a yolk, friend

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

pidan posted:

:justpost:

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Peanut President posted:

it was a yolk, friend

Looks like the yolk's on us! We've really got egg on our faces!

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER

Peanut President posted:

it was a yolk, friend

Its a yolk, fried

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AFewBricksShy posted:

Yes. Garth Marenghi's Darkplace, Episode 5, Scotch Mist

Here's a historical fun fact, Darkplace is loving excellent and it's criminal not more people watched it.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

How can this happen twice in the same conversation

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Off course

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Oh.

I suppose that's what I get for posting before my first coffee.

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER

Tashilicious posted:

Here's a historical fun fact, Darkplace is loving excellent and it's criminal not more people watched it.

I had a cat once. I dropped a sofa on it. It was a write-off, so I stood on its head.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
You can always trust in someone who has written more books than they've read.

Catboy Autonomist
Jun 23, 2018

IS IT SUPWISING THAT PWISONS WESEMBWE FACTOWIES, SCHOOWS, WHICH AWW WESEMBWE PWISONS?

This is a photograph from 1857 of Shimazu Nariakira, the damiyo of the Satsuma Domain in Japan, taken just four years after Commodore Perry's arrival and 11 years prior to the Meiji Restoration. It was the first ever photograph to be successfully created in Japan, and was taken by one of his retainers, who had already obtained an early imported camera from the West in 1848 and had been experimenting with it for many years without any instructions or training on how to even operate it. The photo was later lost for over a century until it was rediscovered in an abandoned warehouse by chance in 1975.

Catboy Autonomist has a new favorite as of 23:17 on Aug 30, 2018

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Old photos own

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
You can tell he's wise because despite it being his first photo, he knows that it's better to take a nap while it's developing.

Ommin
Apr 5, 2006
I like to watch CinemaSins and Honest Trailers for all the movies I'm curious about but don't want to watch. It's like Cliff's Notes with commentary notes to use in conversation to "prove you watched it."

verbal enema posted:

Old photos own

Is there a dedicated thread? There needs to be a dedicated thread.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

That's a super cool photo. Also, I'd read such a thread.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Hell, already have the title:

Old Photos Own: Is there a thread? There should be a thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

:justpost: