Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
everyone report darthBJ, he's clearly using the double railgun hack

he keeps toggling it on/off but its blatantly obvious because he only does it when ur face 2 face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Thief posted:

everyone report darthBJ, he's clearly using the double railgun hack

he keeps toggling it on/off but its blatantly obvious because he only does it when ur face 2 face

Double railgun hack? Like he's able to fire both railguns simultaneously with BJ's ability active?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Housh posted:

Anyone else experiencing micro stutters? After my first match the game starts going to poo poo like the netcode is out of sync

Remove the in-game for cap and set an out of game one with riveria thing or gforce inspector or whatever is equivalent for amd if you have that.

Fixed my micro stutters

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
I micro stutter everytime this game makes me watch animations for digital currencies fly across the screen while I prepare for another 7 minute queue to do a 'duel' in Quake Of Duty

edit

After typing this post I was finally winning a duel, literally loving gauntlet killing this guy and the duel disconnects again and gives me my second auto-loss in ranked

gently caress your poo poo Bethesda

extra stout fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Aug 30, 2018

Ahhpple
Dec 18, 2011

Hey all wouldn't it be crazy if everyone here started playing Reflex... just a weird thing to think about lol

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Housh posted:

So...QC runs better on my computer when I am using high graphical settings instead of low. Is it just better optimized right now for the high spec? I also deleted the appdata folder which could have unfucked things.

:iiam:

Social Animal posted:

Now I’m totally speaking out of my rear end but I think it’s because the game is CPU heavy? So maybe your graphics card is stronger and putting more load on that helps off load the stress on the CPU.

That's a thought, but in theory high graphics shouldn't be doing anything less than what low graphics are doing.

Like, putting it on low graphics doesn't mean it uses a software renderer or something like that.

Its definitely unexpected behavior. Maybe unoptimized yeah, maybe some bug on lower graphics, maybe the higher graphics forces it to use dx12 or vulkan or something where low forces dx9 or something? I have no idea.
Maaaaybe low graphics somehow forces the cpu to calculate physics or something like that rather than offloading it to gpu, but seems unlikely?

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

When I got my 1080p 240hz gsync screen I dropped my overwatch config to near all low settings to test it out. I kept textures up because that way I'd notice the difference less. With a 970gtx this didn't give stable 240 but it got close to 200.

My mate informed me 240 should be possible (he did the same). We compared the configs and lo and behold, one thing that I had on low was actually set to high on his end. Once I did the same I got a higher framerate.

What actually happens under the hood can be more than just a quality difference. Picking a different setting could alter what part of the system gets stressed. That's my guess at least. :iiam:

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

Ask me about my warcrimes.

HoboWithAShotgun posted:

Got nuked from a nearly full stack by the skeleton in Duel before I could land so much as a hit, respawned as ranger and insta-nuked them a few seconds later with my F.

good game :) :) :) :) :)

Yeah, rangers is the ultimate insta kill.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

And also boring.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

why don't you cry babies just gently caress off back to Reddit?

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

hawowanlawow posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo? You already posted something similar couple pages back.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Social Animal posted:

What the gently caress is this poo poo? You already posted something similar couple pages back.

up until a few pages ago this was a great thread, now half the time I see it update it's some pisspants playing armchair game developer. IDK what happened

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Question - I've played Quake Live for years and recently got into the Race Mode and its user-created maps.

If anyone's unfamiliar, you traverse a map as fast as possible and your time is saved in a database where you're ranked against other players. You can race on the existing game maps, or users have created maps especially for the mode with obstacles and puzzles that you have to solve in order to find the end. It's good fun.

Is there anything similar in other games?

edit: here's an example - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cTbbFJZzSk

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

hawowanlawow posted:

up until a few pages ago this was a great thread, now half the time I see it update it's some pisspants playing armchair game developer. IDK what happened

People really get into Quake. The thing is when people complain or bitch and moan it’s because they care about the game. Otherwise they would uninstall and move on.

I’d rather see armchair game developer than nothing at all.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Defrag for Q3A is the original. Warsow had a racing community and an unofficial race mod that let you play with CPM/VQ3 physics but I think when the dev team for Warsow quit racemod died out?

There’s no support for it but I’ve seen “start here and collect these items” movement challenges for QC posted on reddit. Competing requires ability to capture at 60fps but you can use it to practice and glean techniques from people who compete if you like... but you have to manually reset your position and health every time so bleh.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Source games have surf maps and tf2 had rocket jump maps

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

hawowanlawow posted:

gently caress off sponge

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Oh wow, I'm looking at Defrag videos on YouTube and I've played some of those maps on Quake Live - neat!

Had no idea they were that old

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

EugeneJ posted:

Question - I've played Quake Live for years and recently got into the Race Mode and its user-created maps.

If anyone's unfamiliar, you traverse a map as fast as possible and your time is saved in a database where you're ranked against other players. You can race on the existing game maps, or users have created maps especially for the mode with obstacles and puzzles that you have to solve in order to find the end. It's good fun.

There's a free steam game called Kreedz Climbing that is exactly this, it uses the classic Counter Strike engine to mimic the bunny hopping and air control mechanics from back in the day. It also uses a database of maps from CS itself so pretty much every map you can think of is on the list. Otherwise, CS GO and TF2 both have climb and surf maps and their own individual gamemodes that play to each game's strengths (rocket jump maps as someone else mentioned, etc).

Thief
Jan 28, 2011

:420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420::420:
surf maps were fun. mirror's edge 2 might be cool but i havent tried it yet

also this game is utterly broken because it is slightly different than i want it to be

Jimlit
Jun 30, 2005

EugeneJ posted:

I would seriously love to see this adopted as an official game mode .

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

hawowanlawow posted:

Am I an armchair game developer if I think it's laughable that this game and even the game servers are less stable than Quake II had in 1998? Or if I think a 5 second animation of a loot crate exploding and making a loud sound, revealing that I can now change my nailgun from grey to dark grey is not a good way to make money or retain players?

If you don't like legitimate criticism and concerns about where Bethesda is taking Fake Quake, press F to instantly one shot me.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

The loving loot crates and currency and restarted amount of screens to flip through to get back to the lobby...

gently caress that poo poo. I enjoy the game but goddamn some poo poo in it is so clunky.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino

Thief posted:

surf maps were fun. mirror's edge 2 might be cool but i havent tried it yet

also this game is utterly broken because it is slightly different than i want it to be

Mirrors Edge 2 is cool.
The story is lukewarm rear end like the first one but mechanically it's much tighter and some of the time trials can be smashed over your knee even more than that office one from the first game.
All challenges are out in the open world but deffo get all the movement upgrades before trying them

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

Steakandchips posted:

The loving loot crates and currency and restarted amount of screens to flip through to get back to the lobby...

gently caress that poo poo. I enjoy the game but goddamn some poo poo in it is so clunky.

To be fair they had a job posting few months back for a UI/UX person. I’m assuming it’s been filled by now and they are hard at work on getting better menus and such.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

logged in to Twitch and got a free chest fyi

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

hawowanlawow posted:

dude why is nobody allowed to say anything negative about this game we're all still playing. it's fun but very flawed

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

EugeneJ posted:

Seconding Kreedz Climbing. It's great. Much slower, but the jumping puzzles are more challenging and more like actual puzzles. It also has binds for save/load state that allow you to try at tricky jumps until you get them.

treat fucked around with this message at 01:10 on Aug 31, 2018

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016
My "vacation" is a euphemism for war tourism in Ukraine for some "bloody work" to escape my boring techie job and family.

extra stout posted:

Am I an armchair game developer if I think it's laughable that this game and even the game servers are less stable than Quake II had in 1998? Or if I think a 5 second animation of a loot crate exploding and making a loud sound, revealing that I can now change my nailgun from grey to dark grey is not a good way to make money or retain players?

If you don't like legitimate criticism and concerns about where Bethesda is taking Fake Quake, press F to instantly one shot me.

BJ, Clutch, and DK are all getting nerfed. The patch is already on the PTS server.

We've been there before with this game and it always get's nerfed back into the ground because you see teams like this winning everything and people rage quitting from the matches:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

MysteriousStranger posted:

BJ, Clutch, and DK are all getting nerfed. The patch is already on the PTS server.

We've been there before with this game and it always get's nerfed back into the ground because you see teams like this winning everything and people rage quitting from the matches:

And the next picture for why.

Back in the old days, of a more civilzed game breaking the problem was lights did this. Then lights got nerfed into the ground. Slorag then get nerfed into the ground. Things are OP when pushed out and then nerfed into the ground. The one shot characters (BJ and DK) are getting nerf batted hard very soon and will go away as people move to the next thing.

MysteriousStranger fucked around with this message at 01:53 on Aug 31, 2018

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

If they made everyone the same size, speed and stack with the only differentiator being abilities, would that fly? I think we already talked about this but I’d really like to see a patch like that just to see what happens. I’m sure some touch ups would be needed for ability balance.

I was playing the beta for the new black ops and they had champions in it. As far as I could tell the abilities were the only thing different about the characters and it was pretty fun I guess. I do remember the abilities having really high cooldowns though.

Don’t forget about the PAX stream tomorrow. I thought I remember reading that they were going to show off more of the game modes in development.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Social Animal posted:

If they made everyone the same size, speed and stack with the only differentiator being abilities, would that fly? I think we already talked about this but I’d really like to see a patch like that just to see what happens. I’m sure some touch ups would be needed for ability balance.

I was playing the beta for the new black ops and they had champions in it. As far as I could tell the abilities were the only thing different about the characters and it was pretty fun I guess. I do remember the abilities having really high cooldowns though.

Don’t forget about the PAX stream tomorrow. I thought I remember reading that they were going to show off more of the game modes in development.

I think their issue is simple. It is not possible for multiple characters to be balanced in Duel, 2v2, 4v4, CTF, Sac, CA, FFA DM, and IG (listed in order of competitive seriousness) all at the same time.

So the question is... where do you toss things out the window and where do you focus on making it work? Because something can be fine in FFA and IG which count for absolutely nothing and utterly broken as hell in Duel and 2v2, aka clutch. Just as lights were brought into line in duel and the result was they were ground into dust for TDM and FFA. Or Slorag who was a nightmare in TDM and FFA, but who's nerf straight up killed her in Duel.

I think enforced limiting for team games of one of each character per side is a good start... but then their model doesn't allow this.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
On an equal playing field, Anarki and Slash would put almost every other champion at a direct disadvantage. The various movement styles are easily the best part of the game, though, and I don't think I'd be keen on giving them up at this point. I'd rather see equal stacks across lights and mediums but with small/fast champions having their active abilities gimped or removed.

I mean, it wouldn't be balanced but it would be nice for someone like me who sucks too much to justify playing light champs, or Slash ever because she's hard.

Also Scalebear is super fun and interesting to play thanks to his +W movement. Just thought I'd mention that.

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

treat posted:

On an equal playing field, Anarki and Slash would put almost every other champion at a direct disadvantage. The various movement styles are easily the best part of the game, though, and I don't think I'd be keen on giving them up at this point. I'd rather see equal stacks across lights and mediums but with small/fast champions having their active abilities gimped or removed.

I mean, it wouldn't be balanced but it would be nice for someone like me who sucks too much to justify playing light champs, or Slash ever because she's hard.

Also Scalebear is super fun and interesting to play thanks to his +W movement. Just thought I'd mention that.

If you watch the first Quakecon before the nerfs kicked in the Nyx, Anarchy, and Slash bodied the rest of the cast hard with Sorlag being the odd non light. Then lights were nerfed as was Sorlag. Now it's mediums bodying everyone with bj, galena in almost every match and a side of ranger... one heavy this time around which is clutch.

There are four new characters. Three of them are mediums who have dominated the meta at one point Doom (got nerfed hard), BJ (got nerfed, is about to get nerfed again currently nerfed on PTS), DK (currently nerfed on PTS question is how hard). There is one moves like a medium size of a medium armor of a heavy (Keel, who actually did a good showing in pro events). So we haven't had any new lights to test out. Though when doom hit he was "lighter" than Ranger in some aspects before that got changed.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

EugeneJ posted:

In Quake Champs no, but Tribes had lots of stuff like that

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde
They're running into the same problems Overwatch had/has.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Not really, Overwatch has more problems with the power of damage mitigation/healing abilities(plus giving characters with good damage mitigation abilities pretty good killing power themselves in the name of making stuff "feel" good).

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

FYI they are sending out emails that it's the last call for the champions pack. So buy now or be screwed later.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
??? Surely they mean let call before a price bump

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MysteriousStranger
Mar 3, 2016

Pomp posted:

??? Surely they mean let call before a price bump

Kinda. The discount runs out on Sept 24, as do all the doubles. But they are getting rid of the champ pack as well, just not on SEpt 4.