Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

We promise guys, the fights will be better this time.

https://twitter.com/Marvel/status/1034810720460963840

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

howe_sam posted:

It's cool that they hired someone to tighten up the graphics on level 3.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Whalley posted:

It's cool that they hired someone to tighten up the graphics on level 3.

idgi

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

howe_sam posted:

I don't see why they just don't stick the mask on Danny and use a real stuntman/martial artist.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

howe_sam posted:

You know your first season was a loving disaster when you do a "fight choreography, we has it" commercial. Not great that they follow that up with nothing impressive.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
that commercial is about as close to a mea culpa as a major studio is gonna get

it is absolutely bewildering that they hired a guy with no martial arts experience for the show about a white ninja and that video did not really make me feel any better about it

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
So is the nameless baddlguy aiming a foot to the side of Danny with each fist on purpose? That didn't really inspire confidence in the choreographer.

e: even still, they would frame it to hide how fake it is. Move the camera to a place where it at least makes the fist look like it was moving towards the other actor.

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Aug 30, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's how they film fight scenes.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

What shows even offer good solid action scenes outside of Daredevil and Banshee?

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Narcissus1916 posted:

What shows even offer good solid action scenes outside of Daredevil and Banshee?

They live

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Narcissus1916 posted:

Into The Badlands has surprisingly good fight scenes. The rest of it is poo poo, but whoever does the fights has at least seen a Hong Kong movie and knows what to aim for.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

Flatscan posted:

Into The Badlands has surprisingly good fight scenes. The rest of it is poo poo, but whoever does the fights has at least seen a Hong Kong movie and knows what to aim for.

Not sure what is surprising about it. Daniel Wu has done lots of Hong Kong martial arts movies, and I'm pretty sure I remember reading he brought a stunt team with him.

The reason no western project (and really, no modern HK projects either) can match the golden age HK movies is the way they were filmed. They would basically wrap the whole movie, and then the director, the fight coordinator and the stunt team and whatever actors were necessary would isolate themselves and take however long it took until they were happy with the fights. Jackie Chan was famous for taking hundreds of takes to get the action he wanted.

There's no way a modern production can spend months locked away in a dingy warehouse (which were cheap to hire, and which is also the reason so many "final fights" took place in warehouses). The closest we've come are the Raid movies and the Thai movies of about a decade ago, and it's no coincidence that they come from cheap countries to film where stuntmen put their lives on the line for very little money.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Azhais posted:

They live

A true classic, which I hold all other movies and shows up to.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Yeah as an aside, if anyone here is an action fan and hasn’t watched The Raid get off your rear end Jesus Christ.

The director of Netflix’s Punisher took a big influence from that film because the reason the Raid is beloved among action/thriller fans is that it really spearheaded the “shoot action movies like you would shoot horror movies” movement and as a result every scene has a proper tension that the fighting can work with and it creates a constant visual payoff. Contrast this with the modern western “50 jump cuts saturated in motion blur” ideology and you begin to see when eastern action movies have been dusting us for 50 years.

Raid 2 is entirely skippable and nothing in the second movie is as good as the first movie.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Watch Dredd instead.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Bust Rodd posted:

Raid 2 is entirely skippable and nothing in the second movie is as good as the first movie.

No, watch Raid 2 as well, it's amazing. Hell, it has a deleted scene with better action than most films.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fs_Qhmiz40E

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Bust Rodd posted:

I agree the Raid 2 isn't as good as its prequel, but it's still a pretty drat good action movie.

Serf
May 5, 2011

the final 2 fights in the raid 2 don't quite measure up to the last fight in the raid, but they are nonetheless quite excellent and the movie is well worth watching

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.
If we're namechecking films with good fights, Atomic Blonde's hallway fight is possibly the best long (faked) single take fight I've ever seen. It's so brutal.

Hey, I got around to finishing off Cloak and Dagger, which absolutely belongs in here. Might as well treat this as generic Marvel TV chat as it's own thread got little traction. Anyway I fell off it halfway through due to life stuff, and binged the 5 episodes in the back half. And it is really, really good. Not quite up there with the first seasons of DD, JJ, or Punisher, and maybe just behind Luke Cage S2, but it's solidly good, especially as it's aimed more at the YA market.

Pros:
Epic soundtrack, so good it's basically a character in the show. They put up a Spotify playlist that was updated with the episodes and if you want 2h40 of non-stop bangers this is well worth a turn - https://open.spotify.com/user/abcfamily/playlist/288hsJ5ecFqPnLQhtjdlp3?si=rFojsovMSpGILr69QTew3w

Goes more into the corrupt/racist cops aspect than even Luke Cage did. Cloak's namesake item was owned by his dead brother, who died after being shot by a cop while he was unarmed. There's a lot of "this is how life is when you're black, and the cops are racist AF" stuff.

Only 10 episodes, never outstays its welcome.

Cloak's actor is a little lacking at times, but he's young and "good enough". Dagger is sublime, and she's got enough talent for both of them. They both interact really well.

Despite not being a Netflix MCU production, it does reference it. The cop in it mentions Misty Knight, plus they reference Stark and Rand. Plus there's a moment when discovering someone has powers that instead of shock they're just "oh yeah, this happens all the time in other places" because the MCU doesn't need to fanny about pretending there aren't a million of these people now. It's also got links to Agent Carter with its dark dimension energy stuff. I dunno, I'll take these small stitches, it's enough for me.

A notoriously bad comic trope gets reversed. Literally.

The ending kinda owns. A general spoiler about what happens, without getting story beats specific: It goes full on not-zombie outbreak in New Orleans and it was good times..

If you've been sleeping on this one, it's worth going out of your way for.

Parkingtigers fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 30, 2018

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Whenever fight choreography is mentioned always have to recommend this Jackie Chan video

https://youtu.be/Z1PCtIaM_GQ

It explains so much that I honestly never noticed prior to watching this year's ago. Now I see the mistakes differences all the time.

Vvvv :True

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Aug 30, 2018

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They're not mistakes really. It's a budget and time choice.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Parkingtigers posted:

If we're namechecking films with good fights, Atomic Blonde's hallway fight is possibly the best long (faked) single take fight I've ever seen. It's so brutal.

Hey, I got around to finishing off Cloak and Dagger, which absolutely belongs in here. Might as well treat this as generic Marvel TV chat as it's own thread got little traction. Anyway I fell off it halfway through due to life stuff, and binged the 5 episodes in the back half. And it is really, really good. Not quite up there with the first seasons of DD, JJ, or Punisher, and maybe just behind Luke Cage S2, but it's solidly good, especially as it's aimed more at the YA market.

Pros:
Epic soundtrack, so good it's basically a character in the show. They put up a Spotify playlist that was updated with the episodes and if you want 2h40 of non-stop bangers this is well worth a turn - https://open.spotify.com/user/abcfamily/playlist/288hsJ5ecFqPnLQhtjdlp3?si=rFojsovMSpGILr69QTew3w

Goes more into the corrupt/racist cops aspect than even Luke Cage did. Cloak's namesake item was owned by his dead brother, who died after being shot by a cop while he was unarmed. There's a lot of "this is how life is when you're black, and the cops are racist AF" stuff.

Only 10 episodes, never outstays its welcome.

Cloak's actor is a little lacking at times, but he's young and "good enough". Dagger is sublime, and she's got enough talent for both of them. They both interact really well.

Despite not being a Netflix MCU production, it does reference it. The cop in it mentions Misty Knight, plus they reference Stark and Rand. Plus there's a moment when discovering someone has powers that instead of shock they're just "oh yeah, this happens all the time in other places" because the MCU doesn't need to fanny about pretending there aren't a million of these people now. It's also got links to Agent Carter with its dark dimension energy stuff. I dunno, I'll take these small stitches, it's enough for me.

A notoriously bad comic trope gets reversed. Literally.

The ending kinda owns. A general spoiler about what happens, without getting story beats specific: It goes full on not-zombie outbreak in New Orleans and it was good times..

If you've been sleeping on this one, it's worth going out of your way for.

Agreed, Cloak & Dagger was surprisingly good and matched a lot of the Marvel Netflix shows in quality (Given JJs2 and IF that might not be a high bar, but the writing is up there for C&D).

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

Norwegian Rudo posted:

Not sure what is surprising about it.

It's an AMC show by the two guys who did Smallville, that's why it's surprising.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Wahad posted:

I agree the Raid 2 isn't as good as its prequel, but it's still a pretty drat good action movie.

It's not a prequel if it was filmed and released before the other movie was even greenlit. That's not what prequel means.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

About halfway done with the Episode 13 of LC2.

Danny Rand looked like he could fight a lot better than in Iron Fist.

I think I counted 2 or 3 "we're not so different, you and i".

I think the season could have been 3 or 4 episodes shorter.

Iron Fist 2 preview thoughts:
"I didn't ask for this" seems a really dumb thing to say as in the way the preview laid it out, it seemed as in reference to him becoming the Iron Fist. But I thought that's what he worked so hard to do?

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers
For me The Raid 2's problem was that each boss fight took about 3x longer than it should have. It's barely removed from a video game where no one does enough damage to kill either the player or the boss in a sensible amount of time.

The first movie had that balance so the fights didn't make me daydream about health bars regenerating over the actors as someone yelled "Round 2!", "Round 3!", "Round... 4?" I still loved it, but it was way too long.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Black Lightning is very good

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
The Problem with the Raid 2 is it has these inexplicable scenes where the characters stand around, emoting, looking around, talking to each other, for like 5-10 minutes at a time, before beating the poo poo out of each other, whereas the longest conversation in The Raid isn’t more than 2 minutes. Like the Raid is a TIGHT film and every scene does work, I recommend skipping the Raid 2 because I sincerely think the plot gets in the way of the film.

Like the homeless assassin’s back story and both of his fights comprise 25-30% of the film and he isn’t really even that big of a deal.

Also that homeless guy is the same actor who plays the boss fight in the first movie, and also the head fight choreographer, AND he is widely regarded as the greatest living martial arts choreographer and that’s why all of his scenes are loving CRAZY.

Why don’t we have an Asian Expendables movie where Jet Li, Donny Yen, Jackie Chan, and Ong Bahk all have to work together to free slaves/elephants/their wives from so Muay Thai pirate clan?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Bust Rodd posted:

Why don’t we have an Asian Expendables movie where Jet Li, Donny Yen, Jackie Chan, and Ong Bahk all have to work together to free slaves/elephants/their wives from so Muay Thai pirate clan?

His name is Tony Jaa and the reason is because the cost for their combined salaries would be so high the movie would be a cheap piece of poo poo. See the actual Expendables films, or anything Adam Sandler's made after The Waterboy.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Narcissus1916 posted:

Spartacus is the gold standard.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Lurdiak posted:

His name is Tony Jaa and the reason is because the cost for their combined salaries would be so high the movie would be a cheap piece of poo poo. See the actual Expendables films, or anything Adam Sandler's made after The Waterboy.

Isn’t Jackie Chan basically disabled at this point from the decades of doing his own stunts?

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Doctor Butts posted:

I think the season could have been 3 or 4 episodes shorter.

Can this just be the subtitle for the entirety of Netflix Marvel? The only one that didn't completley fall apart with filler towards the end was The Punisher thanks to establishing the secondary antagonist from the very start, and keeping them secondary rather than supplanting the main antagonist. Daredevil season one arguably as well.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Isn’t Jackie Chan basically disabled at this point from the decades of doing his own stunts?

I wouldn't say disabled, but the dude is almost 65.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

Bust Rodd posted:

The Problem with the Raid 2 is it has these inexplicable scenes where the characters stand around, emoting, looking around, talking to each other, for like 5-10 minutes at a time, before beating the poo poo out of each other, whereas the longest conversation in The Raid isn’t more than 2 minutes. Like the Raid is a TIGHT film and every scene does work, I recommend skipping the Raid 2 because I sincerely think the plot gets in the way of the film.

Like the homeless assassin’s back story and both of his fights comprise 25-30% of the film and he isn’t really even that big of a deal.

Also that homeless guy is the same actor who plays the boss fight in the first movie, and also the head fight choreographer, AND he is widely regarded as the greatest living martial arts choreographer and that’s why all of his scenes are loving CRAZY.

I like the plot in The Raid 2. The movie is trying to be a different beast than the first, which is the right thing to do. I get that a lot of people don't like the more lingering, thoughtful scenes compared to the stripped down story of the first one, but I put them neck-and-neck with each other.

As to your last question, there is a movie coming out called Triple Threat that's like a DTV action movie Expendables. Tony Jaa, Iko Uwais, Scott Adkins, Michael Jai White and Tiger Chen star in it.

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE
All of the Ong Baak movies are pretty good if you're looking for action flicks

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

LesterGroans posted:

As to your last question, there is a movie coming out called Triple Threat that's like a DTV action movie Expendables. Tony Jaa, Iko Uwais, Scott Adkins, Michael Jai White and Tiger Chen star in it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrb6lSRRYtU

Yeha ok this is pretty much exactly what I was imagining so uh thanks for being some kind of action movie genie

Ok so definitely watch the Raid, but also maybe just watch a few minutes of this footage because you can immediately see how horror movie direction really compliments the violence. The focus shifting, the small pans as the characters get dragged or throw, the edits that only come to create more room for the same action to look more intense... the audience gets to see basically every hit land and we feel every blow.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-MDP06uEYM

Bust Rodd fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Sep 1, 2018

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Lid posted:

Can this just be the subtitle for the entirety of Netflix Marvel? The only one that didn't completley fall apart with filler towards the end was The Punisher thanks to establishing the secondary antagonist from the very start, and keeping them secondary rather than supplanting the main antagonist. Daredevil season one arguably as well.

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Punisher applied it's bad filler nobody cared about evenly throughout the whole series.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
Yeah, but we still got an entire episode about the Unabomber kid with the actual plot developing on the side. Still better than most of the rest though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

As Nero Danced posted:

Yeah, but we still got an entire episode about the Unabomber kid with the actual plot developing on the side. Still better than most of the rest though.

I didn't mind that much. But I absolutely do not get Marvel Netflix's obsession with being a cop or FBI procedural. Especially since they're so, so bad at writing them.

I've seen some of Daredevil season 3 and they have the same problem. The journalism and politics stuff is pretty poorly written too.