Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

My Lovely Horse posted:

Actually now that you mention it, what do all the idiot redpill MRAs have to say about that?

They were mostly in it for the sequels that have machine gun robots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Neo is also an anagram for “one” and he is often called the “one” by other characters in the film

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

The Merkinman posted:

So anyone who chooses not to transition (i.e. cisgendered) is ignorant/dumb?

No, those still in the Matrix represent closeted or unaware trans people. They are, almost literally, eggs that hatch when they are disconnected.

Straight White Shark posted:

With a lot of emphasis and relish on the Mister Anderson, no less.

(No idea how true/intentional any of this is but it's plausible and interesting.)

It’s all 100% true. The sequels went off into their own thing, but the original is straight up Lana and Lilly channeling what all of us trans people go through into art.

Gynocentric Regime has a new favorite as of 18:16 on Aug 29, 2018

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Gynocentric Regime posted:

No, those still in the Matrix represent closeted or unaware trans people. They are, almost literally, eggs that hatch when they are disconnected.

It’s all 100% true. The sequels went off into their own thing, but the original is straight up Lana and Lilly channeling what all of us trans people go through into art.

Well hot drat. Remind me to never pick a fight with a 'woke' trans-person....

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Ok but do all trans people know kung-fu?

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm guessing kung fu serves as a metaphor for learning skills to survive in the Matrix/"the system", which are combat-related by nature of how the system reacts to your presence?

and also looks loving amazing?

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Omg and the lady in the red dress represents the arbitrary manufactured standards of beauty forced on us by society

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

The Matrix has some weird subtext about terrorism. It basically says everybody who isn't on your side is an acceptable target. I suspect when Agent Smith calls Morpheus and friends terrorists, he isn't lying. They have probably killed boatloads of innocent people who just happened to be possessed by an agent. Even the hobo in the subway is an enemy. In universe, the actions are justified, but that doesn't change the subtext.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zcrPP-HPPeo

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

IShallRiseAgain posted:

The Matrix has some weird subtext about terrorism. It basically says everybody who isn't on your side is an acceptable target. I suspect when Agent Smith calls Morpheus and friends terrorists, he isn't lying. They have probably killed boatloads of innocent people who just happened to be possessed by an agent. Even the hobo in the subway is an enemy. In universe, the actions are justified, but that doesn't change the subtext.
There's a mid-90s comic book named The Invisibles that became basically the template for Matrix in the same way The Incal was the template for The Fifth Element, i.e. very very inofficially. One of the Invisibles protagonists takes exactly that approach and eventually comes to realize the toll it takes on him. There's a whole issue that just follows the life of one faceless mook he casually kills in one of the first storyarcs, Jacob's Ladder style.

Also has a transgender protagonist. Or transvestite; I'm not being callous here but it's the 90s and Grant Morrison and there's a lot going on.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

My Lovely Horse posted:

There's a mid-90s comic book named The Invisibles that became basically the template for Matrix in the same way The Incal was the template for The Fifth Element, i.e. very very inofficially. One of the Invisibles protagonists takes exactly that approach and eventually comes to realize the toll it takes on him. There's a whole issue that just follows the life of one faceless mook he casually kills in one of the first storyarcs, Jacob's Ladder style.

Also has a transgender protagonist. Or transvestite; I'm not being callous here but it's the 90s and Grant Morrison and there's a lot going on.

Doctor Who in 1976 had an story called "The Deadly Assassin" where in ep 3, The Doctor has to battle the agent of an unseen enemy, by connecting mentally, into a computer generated world known as "The Matrix" where reality can be changed through mental powers.

Darth Freddy
Feb 6, 2007

An Emperor's slightest dislike is transmitted to those who serve him, and there it is amplified into rage.

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I always thought it would have been intresting to take this to the conclusion. IE are people inside the Matrix even really alive. Take out massive chunks of the population by committing terrorist acts to starve the machines of their food. It's not killing humens so much ad setting them free.

Means justifie the end.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
And yet if we are to believe Morpheus who says “most of these people are not ready to be unplugged” then you’d be releasing millions, if not billions of human beings to certain death by either drowning or starvation.

And Agent Smith and the Architect both quote past losses of “crops” so the machines have survived past large scale losses before.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Doesn't the mateix eventually get destroyed? Or does that mean subverting and reinventing the status quo by the emerging character instead of destroying society wholesale?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Scaramouche posted:

Doesn't the mateix eventually get destroyed? Or does that mean subverting and reinventing the status quo by the emerging character instead of destroying society wholesale?

It basically resets. The One is a manifestation of the irrationality in the formula the system is based on, "hope" held by the human race that this system, even if they are only subconsciously aware of it being a system, is fake. The machines have allowed (or created) Zion to exist as hope for "freedom," The One is a creation of the machines, who is programmed to be born whenever the amount of people who have rejected or are rejecting the reality (less than 1%) begins to approach a point where they threaten the continued existence of the reality the machines have created to keep humans docile. The Ones job is to choose the next progenitors of Zion as the old one is destroyed and then be reintegrated into the Matrix as its reset, providing the messiah-like figure for the next cycle needed to provide the believable hope that allows most humans to ignore their feelings that the reality isn't real.

The real meta commentary that I like is that humans take FAR more energy to "raise" than they produce so the machines' reason for keeping us around doesn't actually make sense. I like the theory that on some level the machines are unwilling to make the human species extinct and are basically keeping us alive because if the fight had continued the machines would be forced to destroy the humans out of self-preservation.

The original draft had humans being one enormous neural network kept alive for computing purposes, which at least makes more sense from a scientific perspective.

Pook Good Mook has a new favorite as of 22:29 on Aug 29, 2018

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

It can be more than one thing

EmptyVessel
Oct 30, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

People always bring up The Invisibles but arguably The Matrix owes more to Ramsey Dukes' 1987 book Words Made Flesh with it's "information model" theory of magic suggesting that the world we (think we) experience is a virtual reality simulation. Dukes was one of the progenitors of the Chaos Magick movement that Morrison promoted awareness of through The Invisibles and would have certainly been read by him.

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Gynocentric Regime posted:

The Matrix was written by two trans women and is a metaphor for gender transition.

They must have hated having to put this in the credits.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Gromit posted:

i mean, yeah, generally being closeted sucks in a lot of ways?

Dragonstoned
Jan 15, 2006

MR. DOG WITH BEES IN HIS MOUTH AND WHEN HE BARKS HE SHOOTS BEES AT YOU
by Roger Hargreaves

Pook Good Mook posted:

I like the theory that on some level the machines are unwilling to make the human species extinct and are basically keeping us alive because if the fight had continued the machines would be forced to destroy the humans out of self-preservation.

Yeah this was my thought after watching "the second renaissance" (basically the history of how the matrix came to be) Humans are very much the bad guys but the machines didn't really want to exterminate their creators, so they stuck them in the Matrix to study them and it basically just became a human zoo.

I'd just like to know wtf the machines are actually doing in their city, wonder if they've started colonising the solar system.

NtotheTC
Dec 31, 2007

So what was the subtext behind Jupiter Ascending?

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Speed Racer is about how all trans women are weebs.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

NtotheTC posted:

"Holy poo poo who keeps giving us all this money hahahaha lets go crazy"

It's the subtext of a lot of their recent work.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

umalt posted:

Speed Racer is about how all trans women are weebs.

I think you'll find it's a stark indictment of the state of the modern ninja.

Vicissitude
Jan 26, 2004

You ever do the chicken dance at a wake? That really bothers people.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I think you'll find it's a stark indictment of the state of the modern ninja.

More like a nonja.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Speed racer was a good excuse for John Goodman to be in a movie, I will fight anyone who says otherwise :colbert:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

NtotheTC posted:

bees

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Don Gato posted:

Speed racer was a good excuse for John Goodman to be in a movie, I will fight anyone who says otherwise :colbert:

Everyone in it was 100% aware of what the movie needed to be and played to its strength.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Speed Racer is about capitalism's negative influence on art and also it's really good

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Scaramouche posted:

I believe this should answer any and all questions you may have

https://youtu.be/cHZl2naX1Xk

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Everyone in it was 100% aware of what the movie needed to be and played to its strength.

Anyone that cannot find the fun in Speed Racer is welcome to FITE ME

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Gromit posted:

Yes it must have.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Inzombiac posted:

Anyone that cannot find the fun in Speed Racer is welcome to FITE ME

You wont have to worry about fighting anyone because theyll have to go through me first

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Speed Racer is totally about identifying as trans.
Also, the movie is cool as hell as it's a live-action cartoon & I watched that movie drunk off my rear end.

Android Apocalypse has a new favorite as of 20:50 on Aug 30, 2018

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

You all just reminded me I still have to watch the Sense8 finale, thanks.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Barudak posted:

You wont have to worry about fighting anyone because theyll have to go through me first

I had a rewatch of Speed Racer a couple of months ago.

Still good and fun.

nonja

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Speed Racer is about capitalism's negative influence on art and also it's really good

ya it rules

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Aleph Null posted:

I had a rewatch of Speed Racer a couple of months ago.

Still good and fun.

nonja

Oh god, I've found my people

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Taeke posted:

You all just reminded me I still have to watch the Sense8 finale, thanks.

Man Sense8 was some good poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

In Attack on Titan whenever there are team meetings or late night conversations in the barracks/dorms you usually see a few characters with mugs of coffee or sometimes small pastries around. I like it because it makes the scenes seem realer and more like real conversations than plot delivery scenes. They also use it cleverly when something sudden or unexpected happens to have characters put their cups down in shock while in the background a more cool collected character continues drinking.

Do not start an anime is good or bad derail.