Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

is pepsi ok posted:

There are even books about video games with worse stories than the video games they are based on. Shitloads of em.

I enjoyed the Myst books much more than Myst

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inverse
Jun 30, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

I enjoyed the Myst books much more than Myst

I'm just gonna say it, I really hate myst it makes me feel like a idiot and i had to use a walkthru.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Inverse posted:

I'm just gonna say it, I really hate myst it makes me feel like a idiot and i had to use a walkthru.

Myst is everything terrible and arbitrary about 90s adventure games. It is a neat looking slide show designed to sell CD-ROM drives and strategy guides. It's a game whose lead platform was the loving Mac.

TheScott2K fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Aug 30, 2018

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

TheScott2K posted:

It's a game whose lead platform was the loving Mac.

:eyepop:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

TheScott2K posted:

Myst is everything terrible and arbitrary about 90s adventure games. It is a neat looking slide show designed to sell CD-ROM drives and strategy guides. It's a game whose lead platform was the loving Mac.

Spoken like someone who couldn’t solve the piano puzzle.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

QuarkJets posted:

claiming that video games always have worse story than books only proves that you don't read many books

why would you want to read bad books?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

!Klams posted:

Bull poo poo.

Name one?

I'm playing "Days of van Meowogh" which is a game in which you're Vincent van Gogh, except he's a cat and you help him paint cat versions of famous van Gogh paintings... by playing a bejeweled clone, except it has some clever puzzle elements thrown in like destructible blocks or blocks that grow back and so on. There's a funny little story mode about a bunch of rear end in a top hat cats who bully him at every turn and you try to make his life better. You can spend money or watch ads to get more powerups but it's really not necessary to win the game.

It's not exactly a fantastic game but it serves its purpose as a decent game you can play by tapping a screen and in quick bursts.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

fridge corn posted:

Why did you base your argument on bad games

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

steinrokkan posted:

Why did you base your argument on bad games

even good games can have have a bad story, witcher 3 and horizon for example

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

fridge corn posted:

even good games can have have a bad story, witcher 3 and horizon for example

Witcher 3’s Story was fine though

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Witcher 3's main story was mostly mediocre but most of the side-quests and all of the DLC stories were top notch.

Inverse
Jun 30, 2010

Witcher 3 was a game I played real hard for a day,saved my game went to bed and never loaded up again,I was on skellege island doing side quests.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Shibawanko posted:

I'm playing "Days of van Meowogh" which is a game in which you're Vincent van Gogh, except he's a cat and you help him paint cat versions of famous van Gogh paintings... by playing a bejeweled clone, except it has some clever puzzle elements thrown in like destructible blocks or blocks that grow back and so on. There's a funny little story mode about a bunch of rear end in a top hat cats who bully him at every turn and you try to make his life better. You can spend money or watch ads to get more powerups but it's really not necessary to win the game.

It's not exactly a fantastic game but it serves its purpose as a decent game you can play by tapping a screen and in quick bursts.

Do you 'lose' often? I was playing a game I thought was cool and good that had a similar style to bejeweled in that the puzzle was 'randomly generated', except that I discovered that even with perfect play you would lose sometimes, but if you bought a power up (via ads or money) then when you used it the game would basically cheat in your favor and turn total losses into wins. Since I noticed it so definitively in that game, where they obviously had the parameters turned up too high, I've become wary of any games in that style, since it's almost certainly a technique used more surreptitiously on them all.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

!Klams posted:

Do you 'lose' often? I was playing a game I thought was cool and good that had a similar style to bejeweled in that the puzzle was 'randomly generated', except that I discovered that even with perfect play you would lose sometimes, but if you bought a power up (via ads or money) then when you used it the game would basically cheat in your favor and turn total losses into wins. Since I noticed it so definitively in that game, where they obviously had the parameters turned up too high, I've become wary of any games in that style, since it's almost certainly a technique used more surreptitiously on them all.

I'm not sure, sometimes you get free powerups but I don't feel like they always turn the tide in my favor. Sometimes you can spend some ingame currency (you get some for free every couple of games, you don't need to buy it) for a few extra moves but it's not like that always saves you from a loss, so I don't think it's rigged in that way at least. It is a little luck based though in that a lot depends on what tiles the game drops on you, but making a few good combos or knowing which area of the board to target or what kind of powerups to generate through combos can win most of the puzzles. You get 5 lives that regenerate every half hour, I only run out of them if I play the game for like 20 minutes straight on the toilet or something and even then you can befriend random people who give you more lives.

It's a Japanese game, I get the impression that Japanese phone games are less bad since they're so popular there and are a bit more refined.

It doesn't really cheat you but it does try to get you to spend money by tugging your heartstrings. The ad is adorable:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vr25ZeTnzY

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 09:31 on Aug 30, 2018

Inverse
Jun 30, 2010

Shibawanko posted:

It's a Japanese game, I get the impression that Japanese phone games are less bad since they're so popular there and are a bit more refined.

And you would be wrong.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I will bash Ocarina of Time, Rare and Bioware but I will defend this ridiculous cat phone game to my death

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Shibawanko posted:

You get 5 lives that regenerate every half hour, I only run out of them if I play the game for like 20 minutes straight

Yeah, this right here. It's 100% gaming you. Like, done properly, you can't tell its happening, such that you could say, whats the difference, with true random it could just fall that way anyway. It just really really bothers me if it literally doesn't matter how well I play a game, I was either doomed or destined for greatness regardless of my talent. And, especially so with these little time-whiling games, it shouldn't really matter. I just ended up feeling like it was so inconsequential as to be the same as just watching a video playing of something that wasn't interesting or informative, only I had to keep rubbing it with my thumb.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Aug 30, 2018

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Inverse posted:

Witcher 3 was a game I played real hard for a day,saved my game went to bed and never loaded up again,I was on skellege island doing side quests.

It takes like 30 hours at least to get to Skellige

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

!Klams posted:

Yeah, this right here. It's 100% gaming you. Like, done properly, you can't tell its happening, such that you could say, whats the difference, with true random it could just fall that way anyway. It just really really bothers me if it literally doesn't matter how well I play a game, I was either doomed or destined for greatness regardless of my talent. And, especially so with these little time-whiling games, it shouldn't really matter. I just ended up feeling like it was so inconsequential as to be the same as just watching a video playing of something that wasn't interesting or informative, only I had to keep rubbing it with my thumb.

I'm not sure that's what's really happening in this game, at least, I get enough moments where I feel like I have several choices of moves to make and only one is the correct one to clear a board, and carelessness (like overlooking a possible combo) usually results in a loss. It could have some mechanism in it like that though, I can't say for sure. I love the characters.

On reason I don't really play AAA is also because they just take loving long to load. I used to not care about loading times as long as the game was worth it, but sitting through Skyrim's load screens on my lovely PC just makes me feel impatient. I own Shadows of Mordor, for example, but never actually got into it because on my only boot, all I noticed was how long it took for all the assets to properly load and for my lovely graphics card to sort it all out. I don't care about graphics much so it just feels like a waste of time. I just want to click an icon and bam, start the game.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Aug 30, 2018

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

fridge corn posted:

you shouldn't read bad books but that doesn't mean that they don't exist

also lots of good books have bad or mediocre stories in them

Inverse
Jun 30, 2010

steinrokkan posted:

I consider a day when I wake up and go to sleep.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

steinrokkan posted:

nah you can get there way faster than that if you just barrel through the main story for a little bit

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

steinrokkan posted:

I think you can go there or the city after exploring the countryside. It's a lower level than a bunch of the city stuff but it's worth saving for after you're done with the city because the story bits at Skellige are, ehhhh let's say "better"

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

On reason I don't really play AAA is also because they just take loving long to load. I used to not care about loading times as long as the game was worth it, but sitting through Skyrim's load screens on my lovely PC just makes me feel impatient. I own Shadows of Mordor, for example, but never actually got into it because on my only boot, all I noticed was how long it took for all the assets to properly load and for my lovely graphics card to sort it all out. I don't care about graphics much so it just feels like a waste of time. I just want to click an icon and bam, start the game.

At this point there's no way I'm playing games on a PC without an SSD anymore. Now that I've experienced how much faster loading from an SSD is compared to a hard drive, I can't possibly go back.

Given that I can't be bothered to put an SSD in my PS4, that does mean that I find PS4 game loading times to be nearly intolerable, but hey :v:

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

DogonCrook posted:

The kinect was pretty cool. Also the kinect should have been a head tracking option on as many games as possible it kicked rear end in forza 4.

The tech in the Kinect is actually really solid. It's the same stuff TrackIR uses for headtracking and works absolutely perfect in games like Eurotruck and Elite. The caveat is that you have to wear a cap with a piece of plastic bolted on.
The problem is that MS in their infinite wisdom did not use reflective tape or similar so the camera sees gently caress all. As goofy as it would look if you wore reflective gloves and a cap and something on your legs it would actually be fully functional.
As is, the only games that are fun for it are the two Doublefine thingies that just let you gently caress around. Utter wasted potential.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

QuarkJets posted:

you shouldn't read bad books but that doesn't mean that they don't exist

also lots of good books have bad or mediocre stories in them

Im not necessarily disagreeing with you but I'm curious: what books do you think are good have bad or mediocre stories in them?

Twelve Batmans
Dec 24, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
You should actually read lots of bad books and good books because chances are you will find some bad books you like just like there are bad tv shows you like and bad video games you like and being anything but upfront and honest about the things you like and why you like them is sequacious and self-deceiving and loving bitch-made.

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Shibawanko posted:

I'm not sure that's what's really happening in this game, at least, I get enough moments where I feel like I have several choices of moves to make and only one is the correct one to clear a board, and carelessness (like overlooking a possible combo) usually results in a loss. It could have some mechanism in it like that though, I can't say for sure. I love the characters.

GTA Online has such long loading screens it makes me wonder how the gently caress they considered it to be worth releasing. We're talking a full 5 minutes to load(which you can't alt tab out of) while the actual game still has loading screens everywhere.

A random guy on reddit noticed that his in-game time was something like 250 hours while Steam logged 330 hours. That's 80 hours of loading screens.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Does Rockstar still add actual content to GTA Online or are they just raking in the cash from people buying microtransactions and running the same races and heists over and over

Twelve Batmans posted:

You should actually read lots of bad books and good books because chances are you will find some bad books you like just like there are bad tv shows you like and bad video games you like and being anything but upfront and honest about the things you like and why you like them is sequacious and self-deceiving and loving bitch-made.

This is a good take.

I also very much believe that someone can like something and that thing can still be bad. I've argued with people before about that--usually in the context of there being no objective measure of whether media is good or bad, therefore if you like it, it's good--but based on my own experience I can definitely confirm that I like things that I also think are bad and stupid. And that's fine. We all like dumb poo poo, we just have different dumb poo poo we like.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Twelve Batmans posted:

*cracks open a book I hate the thought of reading* hell you never know

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I feel that games will never have the power of story telling that books or even movies do but it's hard to say why exactly. I think it has something to do with the fact that games are always excessive in how much you get from a story, since you're literally in it and moving around in it there's nothing left to the imagination. You can't run your eyes over a sentence and have it form in your mind to the cadence and surprise of the words on the page, like the first sentence of Kafka's Metamorphosis. Cutscenes try to at least return to a movie form to compensate for this but it never really works since cutscenes always feel disjointed from the game itself. It rarely works. I think Yume Nikki does it well since it doesn't try to explain anything by inserting text or cutscenes of any kind so all you get is a bunch of visuals and (a parody of) interaction.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

GTAV is the most boring GTA game

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Shibawanko posted:

I feel that games will never have the power of story telling that books or even movies do but it's hard to say why exactly. I think it has something to do with the fact that games are always excessive in how much you get from a story, since you're literally in it and moving around in it there's nothing left to the imagination. You can't run your eyes over a sentence and have it form in your mind to the cadence and surprise of the words on the page, like the first sentence of Kafka's Metamorphosis. Cutscenes try to at least return to a movie form to compensate for this but it never really works since cutscenes always feel disjointed from the game itself. It rarely works. I think Yume Nikki does it well since it doesn't try to explain anything by inserting text or cutscenes of any kind so all you get is a bunch of visuals and (a parody of) interaction.

If a game is trying to mimic film, it's never going to be able to tell a story as good as it could if it was just actually a film, just because breaking up that film to have disconnected gameplay segments necessarily screws around with the pacing.

In my opinion, the games with the strongest stories that I've played didn't attempt to mimic film. Because of this, they could pace and structure the story in a way that makes sense as something that a player interacts with, rather than as a movie where you control a character during the action scenes or during the exploration that would probably be skipped in an actual action film (maybe with a scene cut in if there's important dialog along the way). One example of a game that doesn't try to be a film and tells a better story because of it is the game my avatar comes from, Pyre. I've posted about it in this thread before, but it also does some pretty clever things to both immerse the player in its narrative and avoid too much artificiality (like how the game has no Game Over state--losing matches with rival teams affects the story but lets it continue uninterrupted).

Games are not going to be better movies than movies are. That's fine. I don't think that means they necessarily can't be an effective medium for storytelling, though. And really, there's more to story than narrative. Due to their interactivity, games can be fantastically atmospheric, or use their interconnected systems to allow players to experience their own emergent story. And while that's not the same kind of experience as reading an authored story or watching an authored and directed story, it's something that can still communicate ideas or inspire an emotional response, and in a way that's unique to games.

At the same time, a game absolutely does not need to try to do any of those things to be a good game or anything like that. Games do not need stories, and not every story needs to be a game.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

1redflag posted:

GTAV is the most boring GTA game

GTA is the most boring series of its genre

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

[build up during gameplay trailer] behold our new innovative technology

*bullet time*

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
GTA V is great.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Harrow posted:

Does Rockstar still add actual content to GTA Online or are they just raking in the cash from people buying microtransactions and running the same races and heists over and over

They add an impressive amount of new content each month. I really loved GTA online for a while but you get to a point where you've bought everything you would want and the new content isn't worth grinding / paying for.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

a bone to pick posted:

They add an impressive amount of new content each month. I really loved GTA online for a while but you get to a point where you've bought everything you would want and the new content isn't worth grinding / paying for.

Huh, fancy that.

GTA Online seems like the kind of thing I'd have a great time with but I think I bounced off of it when I tried to get into it on the PC launch and just never went back.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~
I would have gotten into GTA online if I could do even half the poo poo that makes GTA fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

SpazmasterX posted:

I would have gotten into GTA online if I could do even half the poo poo that makes GTA fun.

In GTA Online you can swoop around killing pubbies on your missile-equipped flying motorcycle before parachuting into a tank and blowing up a massive amount of pedestrians to win the Criminal Damage freemode event.

It's at the point where you can do whatever you want, problem is new players have to either grind their asses off to get all the cool toys or pony up $100 for shark cards.