Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Withnail posted:

new 50 v 50 sucks

Yup.

Soaring 50s was fantastic, as was the coin hunt mode. Solid gold is garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Withnail posted:

new 50 v 50 sucks

I suck at solo, but I love 50v50. Hope they bring back vanilla or Soaring

Mongoose
Jul 7, 2005
I prefer solid gold over coin hunt. I like the balance of the regular battle royale rules and appreciate using uniformly powered-up guns and lots of utility items.

Soaring was a lot a fun for challenges and touring the map, but I'm an early circle fighter anyways so in solid gold 50s I can just wait to see the circle then go straight there from the bus and get my steady fights.

Ah also the solid gold modes have increased farming rates for brick and metal. Drop into a rock field (like the one near fatal or the rocks near tomato) to get easy max mats.

Nullsmack
Dec 7, 2001
Digital apocalypse
Soaring was so much fun. If they don't add that ability into the other 50v50 then hopefully they'll bring it back from time to time.

And that cube seems to be doing something different now. There's like a forcefield around it where gravity is much lower than outside of the field.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

Idea about the BOX and what can do:

I don't think this is what the box will do, but is something Epic could made.

The box open, and create a "strangeland" area around it. The area is a big circle around it.

When you are outside the area, everything seems normal, even the objetct inside the box or the area around the object.
When you step inside the area, the skybox change from the normal one to a alien landscape, the ground turn from green to brown, water apears has sentient purple mud, the trees are replaced by singing crystals. If you step back to the normal area, everything seems normal again.

You need oxygen when inside the strangeland. Theres a oxygen bar, if the bar deplete, you lose life. You can find oxygen tanks in the strangeland.

Players inside the strangeland are invisible from outside, and players inside the strangeland can't see players outside.

The strangeland is literally a alien dimension over the normal fortnite reality. Theres pages of a diary in the strangeland, and some skins/backpacks require to collect all pages of the diary.

McGlockenshire
Dec 16, 2005

GOLLOCKS!
So am I just getting screwed by the RNG, or are the compact SMGs missing entirely from Solid Gold 50v50 outside of vending machines?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I think Solid is my favorite gimmick yet. But yeah I found about a million DEs and I had 3 bursts early in a game. I stray from my regular strategy* and just drop in anywhere because you can find good poo poo...literally anywhere, which is what I like.

*What I've been doing lately is to land on the archway in the desert, which always has a chest or two (95% of the time) and just as often has rifts as well. Also some ammo or maybe a shield if I'm lucky at the opposite end with the shack. Then I can grab a rift just south to the small town with 400 chests, if theres anyone there I can swoop in on them with what I've collected at the arch, but there often isn't so I'm free to scour the area which usually yields almost everything you need for the duration of the game. Then theres usually more rifts to get me back into the circle or wherever else I'm going.

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS

codo27 posted:

I think Solid is my favorite gimmick yet. But yeah I found about a million DEs and I had 3 bursts early in a game. I stray from my regular strategy* and just drop in anywhere because you can find good poo poo...literally anywhere, which is what I like.

*What I've been doing lately is to land on the archway in the desert, which always has a chest or two (95% of the time) and just as often has rifts as well. Also some ammo or maybe a shield if I'm lucky at the opposite end with the shack. Then I can grab a rift just south to the small town with 400 chests, if theres anyone there I can swoop in on them with what I've collected at the arch, but there often isn't so I'm free to scour the area which usually yields almost everything you need for the duration of the game. Then theres usually more rifts to get me back into the circle or wherever else I'm going.

If you're going that route, there's (I think) guaranteed rifts here:

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I forget about that place, theres also a transport truck at the top of a cliff at the west end of the desert bordering Lucky that is a great plan B for rifts as well if there are none in the other areas

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
The desert has some great loot and I did like 10 matches and hardly anyone else dropped there.

Andddd, I just ruined that.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

No better time to try out Bush hijinks than trying to get this squad challenge. Team gets wiped early, I survive till the last 6 or so by hiding in a bush. Had a whole team run right past me. Now that's suspense

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

objectively bad posted:

It's not guaranteed anywhere that rifts will spawn but you can spot them from far enough away while gliding in to adjust to another location with them.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

A Bakers Cousin posted:

It's not guaranteed anywhere that rifts will spawn but you can spot them from far enough away while gliding in to adjust to another location with them.

I’m pretty sure he’s right and that’s the one location that always has rifts

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

objectively bad posted:

There's also like 20 chests in that unnamed village to the west of there...

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

There's also like 20 chests in that unnamed village to the west of there...

yeah, I thought codo was talking about that village (but there's no rifts south of the village...so maybe not), I was recommending those rifts in case the rifts on the hill by the village aren't there. I'll also sometimes go to those rifts if I see that village is busy on initial landing so that I can get some loot/mats before swooping in to clean up.

A Bakers Cousin posted:

There are definitely some guaranteed rifts out there. I've never seen those ones not spawn.

The single rift off the jump east of paradise has been there 100% of the time out of the probably 150+ times I've dropped there this season.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Yes that village is what I'm talking about, it was a goon who pointed it out to me one night. My loving irl friends are painful to play with, well theres really just one and the other 2 I know but dgaf about, and they never shut up about what loving gear they've picked up, and have to announce every kill. And they want to drop into risky every loving match because "it has great loot", 2 chests between 4 people=great loot apparently. At least one always gets really mad and is funny to listen to.

Bettyspagh3tt1
Jan 24, 2009

codo27 posted:

Yes that village is what I'm talking about, it was a goon who pointed it out to me one night. My loving irl friends are painful to play with, well theres really just one and the other 2 I know but dgaf about, and they never shut up about what loving gear they've picked up, and have to announce every kill. And they want to drop into risky every loving match because "it has great loot", 2 chests between 4 people=great loot apparently. At least one always gets really mad and is funny to listen to.

Risky has like 12 chest spawns inside the fence, 1 by the truck, 2 by the tree, houses all around it with chests, tons of mats, and rifts on two sides. I love risky.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene

Bettyspagh3tt1 posted:

Risky has like 12 chest spawns inside the fence, 1 by the truck, 2 by the tree, houses all around it with chests, tons of mats, and rifts on two sides. I love risky.

Yeah risky owns. Lots of good nearby areas too especially now that Tomato Temple is cool and good

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS
I've got some friends like that too. To list off a few complaints I have about them:

- talking about the loot they have or don't have in non-useful terms. If you want to tell me you're not carrying meds, or don't have a ranged weapon when I'm about to start engaging a team at range that's fine. That's actually useful. But I have no idea how the novelty of finding a scar has lasted so long for some people.

- loudly complaining about being thirsted while I'm still fighting. This one is funny because I specifically thirst people or shoot them once because I know half the people with mics while do this and it'll irritate their duo partner just like it irritates me. "there's one on me" - useful information. "thirsted me, what a loving mink!!!" - not useful and distracting

- constantly putting themselves down. I don't care how bad my friends' aim is or how poorly they're building. To their credit, they've been trying to cut down on this since I called it out. Confusingly, this often seems to go hand in hand with calling the person who killed them poo poo.

- Using the weirdest god drat metrics to determine whether or not a player is good before we engage them. If you use, or do, any of the following, you're a god and we should be going into this fight afraid: John Wick. That valentine wings backbling. Switching weapons rapidly while running around. Jumping while moving. Use pre-edited pyramids as ramps.

I like playing with my irl friends, but I often find myself really enjoying playing with some of the random people I've found in duo fills who have terrible stats and no mic.

Risky is amazing. Including the chests at the tree and the car north east just outside of risky, it has just one less potential chest spawn than the village in the desert but a lot less floor spawns. It also has great rotation options since you can hit rifts either north east of risky, or at the head by tomato town.

That said, in solo duos I prefer landing at the tikihead by tomato temple. It's about the same distance from tomato temple as the risky tree is from risky, but it has more mats, and 1 extra chest and it has rifts. So I'll land there, then depending on rifts I'll either rift into tomato (or just walk it), to try and quickly clean up before going back and rifting over to risky or lazy links depending on the circle & how many people I saw landing there.

monkeu
Jun 1, 2000

by Reene
Wow some of you dudes sound fun and cool to play with. Here’s some stuff me and my friends enjoy talking about when we’re playing this fun game together:
- what guns we find that we’re happy about (blue drum gun yeeeeeah!!!)
- what guns we haven’t found yet
- what guns we have found too many of
- what skins other teams are wearing
- complaining or laughing really loudly when someone kills us depending on how they do it
- all sorts of other random dumb poo poo

We also make a point to hurl things like boogie bombs, the new shockwave grenades and portaforts at each other

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Why the gently caress do they call it "thirsting"? Other than I assume its just another case of kids/the world being garbage? Is it sposed to be "thirsty" for the kill? Even though you still get it if they bleed out?

This one dunce cap from home who plays with us, the other two seem to think he is some kinda god or something. He built a fort last night at about 1/10th the speed and quality I've seen from goons and just randos, and then after getting killed say "what did you think of those building skillz". We deteriorated two people and he then used the new shockwave grenade to propel himself towards them after we were downed and knocked them both, and he lost his poo poo over that and declared he had to record it because it was so cool. It was resourceful, I'll grant him that, but he thought it was some highlight reel poo poo.
The other guy who gets really mad, well, I really oughta be posting about him in the schadenfreude thread. He is a bit dense. He somehow got 100 before us so of course he changed to ragnarok, which he called "ragna, or whatever it is". I really should be recording his fits when we play. OH MY GOD, loving SCAR RIGHT IN HIS FACE AND HE KILLS ME OH MY GOD.

Its still not as bad as the common rando though I have to say. Get in with some kid yesterday trying for the squads challenge, himself and another teammate barely manage to knock one guy together, "BOOM, get rekt scrub". Naturally a loud outburst follows when he is killed himself. I had a guy a few days ago who got knocked when we were trying to get away from the storm and I just didn't have the time to go back and revive him, so of course he labeled me a scrub as well for not going back because I "totally could have and we could have ran out the storm together". You will spawn into another game in 18 seconds, why cry? Myself and another guy were atop the tallest building in paradise and were engaged in a firefight, my teammate smashed out the floor beneath us to get inside, unfortunately it was the section over the long drop and we both died. I'm able to laugh at that kinda stuff.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

monkeu posted:

We also make a point to hurl things like boogie bombs, the new shockwave grenades and portaforts at each other

This is the point of the whole game.

objectively bad
Nov 11, 2006

ABANDONS HIS FRIENDS

monkeu posted:

Wow some of you dudes sound fun and cool to play with. Here’s some stuff me and my friends enjoy talking about when we’re playing this fun game together:
- what guns we find that we’re happy about (blue drum gun yeeeeeah!!!)
- what guns we haven’t found yet
- what guns we have found too many of
- what skins other teams are wearing
- complaining or laughing really loudly when someone kills us depending on how they do it
- all sorts of other random dumb poo poo

I have a ton of fun playing with my friends, but that doesn't mean I can't have a couple of complaints about their behaviour and encourage them to be more positive about themselves, nor that it's bad that I sometimes prefer playing alone or with someone less vocal. :shrug: I'm happy that you've found friends that you wouldn't have a single complaint about and that none of the friends you play with ever get a bit too annoyed at video games.

You should try editing ramps as they're running up so they fall down too.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

codo27 posted:

Why the gently caress do they call it "thirsting"? Other than I assume its just another case of kids/the world being garbage? Is it sposed to be "thirsty" for the kill? Even though you still get it if they bleed out?

This one dunce cap from home who plays with us, the other two seem to think he is some kinda god or something. He built a fort last night at about 1/10th the speed and quality I've seen from goons and just randos, and then after getting killed say "what did you think of those building skillz". We deteriorated two people and he then used the new shockwave grenade to propel himself towards them after we were downed and knocked them both, and he lost his poo poo over that and declared he had to record it because it was so cool. It was resourceful, I'll grant him that, but he thought it was some highlight reel poo poo.
The other guy who gets really mad, well, I really oughta be posting about him in the schadenfreude thread. He is a bit dense. He somehow got 100 before us so of course he changed to ragnarok, which he called "ragna, or whatever it is". I really should be recording his fits when we play. OH MY GOD, loving SCAR RIGHT IN HIS FACE AND HE KILLS ME OH MY GOD.

Its still not as bad as the common rando though I have to say. Get in with some kid yesterday trying for the squads challenge, himself and another teammate barely manage to knock one guy together, "BOOM, get rekt scrub". Naturally a loud outburst follows when he is killed himself. I had a guy a few days ago who got knocked when we were trying to get away from the storm and I just didn't have the time to go back and revive him, so of course he labeled me a scrub as well for not going back because I "totally could have and we could have ran out the storm together". You will spawn into another game in 18 seconds, why cry? Myself and another guy were atop the tallest building in paradise and were engaged in a firefight, my teammate smashed out the floor beneath us to get inside, unfortunately it was the section over the long drop and we both died. I'm able to laugh at that kinda stuff.

Thirsting is perfectly fine term imo, that means people being thirsty for a kill and thus finishing opponent off immediately, instead of letting the bleed out, despite an otherwise ongoing engagement with downed opponent’s teammate or other people.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

No, finishing off a downed opponent so that they cant be revived, long as you're sure enough there isn't any impending fire incoming, is perfectly logical and the term is just a result of 2018 loving garbage box internet kardashian jenner west culture which should be defeated at every turn.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Pickax damage is a challenge this week and I'm all about that.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

codo27 posted:

No, finishing off a downed opponent so that they cant be revived, long as you're sure enough there isn't any impending fire incoming, is perfectly logical and the term is just a result of 2018 loving garbage box internet kardashian jenner west culture which should be defeated at every turn.

Or you let them bleed out to see if them being downed can be bait for their teammates? You're getting way salty over something that really isn't a huge deal :shrug:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Johnny Truant posted:

Or you let them bleed out to see if them being downed can be bait for their teammates? You're getting way salty over something that really isn't a huge deal :shrug:

Yeah, letting the bleed is almost always the tactically superior move.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Yeah, letting the bleed is almost always the tactically superior move.

:yeah:

Unless you're without a doubt, 100% certain that they were alone, let them suffer. Plus you get to taunt them more, which again, is the entire point of this game :colbert:

Seditiar
Aug 5, 2012

If you assume the opponents are bad, sure. On average it probably works to use them as bait, but meanwhile they can also give your (and usually squad mates') position to their squad mates. Plus it's not bait if they use voice.

Wren610
Oct 25, 2010
Im drunken downloading this right now I know its a battle royale game and thats about it.

reading 2 pages of this thread makes me feel like i have no idea what im in for. Building stuff,boogie bombs oh well i guess ill find out.

A Man and his Hog
Jun 26, 2018

by R. Guyovich
Dude, just play it’s real fun.

It’s your world my friend.

Popero
Apr 17, 2001

.406/.553/.735
I almost always kill immediately because I'm nearly sure to die and want to make sure to try to ruin your squad going forward.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

Killing people owns so i always kill people. i did not know there was a term for this

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Seditiar posted:

If you assume the opponents are bad, sure. On average it probably works to use them as bait, but meanwhile they can also give your (and usually squad mates') position to their squad mates. Plus it's not bait if they use voice.

It pressures your opponent(s) to try to win the engagement and save the teammate(s), explicitly or not. If they have nothing to lose, they might as well just thirst destructively or do something equally damaging and generally idiotic.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

objectively bad posted:

- talking about the loot they have or don't have in non-useful terms. If you want to tell me you're not carrying meds, or don't have a ranged weapon when I'm about to start engaging a team at range that's fine. That's actually useful. But I have no idea how the novelty of finding a scar has lasted so long for some people.

If you don't announce every time you get a sick gun on a drop you're playing wrong.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wren610 posted:

Im drunken downloading this right now I know its a battle royale game and thats about it.

reading 2 pages of this thread makes me feel like i have no idea what im in for. Building stuff,boogie bombs oh well i guess ill find out.

The thing to remember about Fortnite is that its not a sweaty tryhard game like CSGO or Overwatch or PUBG or whatever. The entire point of this game is to be hilarious, obnoxious and inventive in equal measures.

If you arent punting people off cliffs with golf karts, throwing portaforts at squadmates and asking rando pubs if they've found Jesus, you're doing it wrong.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Some kid in my squad was looking for shields and I had it in my head to tell him that I had some to impart to him if he came to me and professed his love for our lord and savior jesus christ, but I didn't say it. I should have.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Found a cool trick for heavy sniper in solos - once you have someone healing up, RPG their position and then blow the wall moments before its contact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Holy poo poo guys holy poo poo I just got my first Victory Royale! By being a total chickenshit!

I actually got two early eliminations, one by cemtexing a guy over his panic-ramps as we charged each other, someone else just let me drum gun them in the side, don't know why they didn't put up more of a fight. For two extended periods I holed up in a corner and destroyed the ramp I used, leaving to stay out of the storm when it started shifting around as minimum eye size. 2 opponents left, and as I hoped they were fighting each other over their buildings in the Dusty Divot basin, and I started taking pot shots around a corner. I'm not certain as I had to book it from the moving storm, but I think I might have killed them with fall damage by knocking out the structure beneath both of them, I don't think they killed each other somehow but can't rule it out.

Any way, moral is to be a coward ratfuck and let everyone else get their hands dirty.

I wonder if any of the other umbrellas look cooler.