Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Son of Man posted:

Americans' opinions on alcohol and drugs should be 1000% ignored. our culture is not even close to being able to talk honestly about mind altering chemicals. there is still too much protestant righteousness for people to admit that they like to alter their consciousness. 35% of Americans have never had a drink? give me a loving break. that chart is just a testament that Americans like to lie about their vices so they can judge people

This reads like the equivocation of someone afraid of being judged, right? Not just me?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Like booze is fine, it's your body, but plenty of people drink either rarely or almost never. Why does the existence of those people shame you by proxy?

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I'm 31 and I've never had a drink :kiddo:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Alcohol is cheaper and more accessible than therapy and life stability.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Super Waffle posted:

You sound like a bundle of fun

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy
tired: alcohol and energy drinks
wired: weed and coffee

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Son of Man posted:

I guess there are people like that out there but I don't want to know them
yeah I think that's a big part of the issue, that people self-sort pretty strongly

Super Waffle posted:

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS

Super Waffle posted:

lol owned

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

Son of Man posted:

Americans' opinions on alcohol and drugs should be 1000% ignored. our culture is not even close to being able to talk honestly about mind altering chemicals. there is still too much protestant righteousness for people to admit that they like to alter their consciousness. 35% of Americans have never had a drink? give me a loving break. that chart is just a testament that Americans like to lie about their vices so they can judge people

I drink a shitload, like a few liters a week give or take depending on how stressed out I am, and I can confirm I lie about it (to the point where if I grab a glass of champagne at a wedding my parents will be surprised and say "I thought you didn't drink?" etc) and am highly judgmental of other drinkers. It's easier to lay in to other people than yourself.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

WrenP-Complete posted:

I don't want to get into a whole argument about how much individual posters drink (I'm not your mom) but I'd suggest reviewing the current scientific literature and recommendations before deciding a level of alcohol is medically safe. I think there's been some revisions to the scientific understanding and national recommendations of a few countries as of last year.

I agree generally with the thread - if it's bothering anon-op, no matter what the level of consumption is, such that he's hiding it from people and idolizing alcoholism in media, that's some kinda problem. Anon, talk to people about it. Let the light in.

Yeah, there were reports that light to moderate drinking can reduce your risk of certain cancers without causing much harm. More recent literature apparently indicates that the downsides actually outweigh that for a variety of reasons. One of the biggest ones is that drinking tends to trend upward; people that start drinking on the reg have a tendency to not only not stop but keep drinking more. Given its effects there's no perfectly safe level of consumption. That being said light drinking is probably fine as is moderate but most people don't know where "heavy" drinking is and tend to lie to themselves about how much they drink.

I guess doctors generally assume you drink twice what you tell them as people really like lying about it.

Son of Man
Jan 29, 2003

by Azathoth

Android Blues posted:

This reads like the equivocation of someone afraid of being judged, right? Not just me?

I don't need to be an alcoholic to make fun of puritans, but I can become one if it will help

now studies say that any amount of drinking is detrimental to your health, even accounting for the health benefits of alcohol. still safer than not drinking at all, as most teetotalers are murdered

Son of Man fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 29, 2018

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Studies say cutting off your dick improves your life span. Better get choppin'

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I don't drink because there's some pretty severe alcoholism in my family and, knowing my own personality, I'd be a primo candidate to hop on that train. Seen that poo poo up close and don't wanna even try poking that bear.

You can all drink as much as you like, though. Go hog wild.

Regarding the confession that started all this: Being psychologically addicted to anything to the point where you think "CAN'T STOP WON'T STOP" is a problem in itself. Doesn't matter what it is, that's not good for you. That it's booze is doubly problematic, but even if your consumption is okay, the underlying inability to give it up isn't. That's probably where you should start in trying to get help.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I drink a shitload, like a few liters a week give or take depending on how stressed out I am, and I can confirm I lie about it (to the point where if I grab a glass of champagne at a wedding my parents will be surprised and say "I thought you didn't drink?" etc) and am highly judgmental of other drinkers. It's easier to lay in to other people than yourself.

I definitely don’t drink liters a week, but if someone asks me to put it down in writing involuntarily, yeah I’m probably going to lie about it. I’m also more judgmental than I should be about others’ consumption. Related to what the other dude said, my own consumption has definitely trended upwards over time though. Pre-21 I almost never drank even when it was readily available. In college I drank rarely, but trended towards heavier drinking at parties which is probably pretty typical, and maybe a beer or scotch here or there besides. Post college I had low expenses, more income and no sense of financial planning so I spent a bunch on good scotch & good beer and started consuming it more frequently, but less per instance on average without the partying aspect. I hung out and worked with a bunch of stagehands and kitchen crew who all drank vastly more than I did which probably influenced my perception of reasonable consumption, fast forward to today and if I’m being honest I’m probably edging into that 9th decile on the chart above which is frankly surprising framed in those terms. I’m sure it’s not healthy in the long term, and not to get all e/n but it probably picked up recently after a bitter breakup, essentially divorce. I definitely started hitting the dispensary more often, since my previous smoking habit was like once a year. I don’t really feel that either of those negatively impacts my life significantly short of being expensive though, and I can and do regularly go without.

Really though, I enjoy a good scotch etc and if it does start becoming an issue I’d rather tackle it now because I don’t want to have to get to a point where I need to give it up completely.

Oh whoops, this isn’t the non-anonymous confessions thread.

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

SciFiDownBeat posted:

also cult goon, as a protip if an eldritch being contacts you: put points into your ARC stat, Bolt damage scales with it and is super effective against kin. slot in some Bolt Up gems from the Isz dungeon into a Rakuyo +10 and you're golden

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
If you're drinking alone every day, lol

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Piell posted:

I'm not that pathetic, I take a day off every week or two.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Piell posted:

I only drink alone once a week, OK

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

my wife and kids are home so im not technically alone

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

quote:

I just wanted to say a couple things about my cult confession. I didn't include a code or anything because I wasn't planning to follow up since I don't want to fall in to the goon trap where I try and make mundane stories into something they aren't just to keep interest up or whatever. If anything that even approaches my initiation (which was just over 3 weeks ago to the goon who asked) in the future I will share it I guess.

I mostly wanted to expand on the structure and then the rape thing. The hot girl is basically co-leader with the founder, then each of them has an apprentice. I was promised to be the girl's new apprentice if I kept it up once her current one does whatever to ascend. The four of them make the decisions (which seem to mostly amount to where/when we meet and what to talk about) and were the ones watching the sexual part of the initiation.

Speaking of that, I was asked very clearly if I fully gave myself unto their will and would do anything they said, so I don't really consider it rape. Maybe a court would see it differently since I definitely wasn't expecting anything like being dateraped, but I did agree to "anything".

I still don't really view it as a cult. They act like one but I'm still convinced it's just a more extreme form of larping. I certainly don't actually believe in what they are preaching, but like I said, it feels good to be a part of it, especially the appeal of one day helping to lead it.

NOTE: he included a code with this one even though he didn't the first time, so no catfishing TIA

Anyway your rationale is exactly what people think when they join a cult, and plenty of them recruit people via seduction too, this is a pretty cut&dry cult situation

quote:

You all should listen to the casefile ep on the “Catholic mafia” which is not a uniquely Australian phenomenon

The part not discussed is the Freemasons. There’s actually a decent overlap between Catholics and Freemasons. Many local cops firefighters and “legitimate Italian businessmen” are all masons

Like the Catholic priests they stick together, not out of Pedro conspiracy but more like they just all do favors and assume they’re all “good citizens “

Mark my words the next big thing will be the discovery of the massive circle jerk of cops, prosecutors and random contractors etc who are all masons

I'd be unironically into this

marathon Stairmaster sesh
Apr 28, 2009

ALL HAIL CEO NUGGET
1988-PRESENT

Does this mean the confessor thinks Dan Akroyd was trying to warn us about the Freemasons with his movie Nothing But Trouble?

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Wasn't there a fesh a while back about a goon shopping around for cults? It must suck for that guy to read about how this goon not only found a cult to join but they banged him into it.

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

shopping for cults would be a great username

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Re drinking:

I can't drink by myself. I'm like a passenger pigeon. They reputedly only would breed when there were groups in the tens of thousands around, I guess they were swingers or something. I, similar to a passenger pigeon, can't drink alone. Unless its a special occasion, like dinner at a friend's house, I have to be where there are people to drink. I'll go to a bar by myself, get a bit on the loaded side, go home, and not have a drop for a week, or weeks, then its go to a bar, with someone else, or with a friend, get loaded, and not drink till the next week. I can't just sit on my own at my place and have a beer with dinner, or a glass of wine or whatever.

Goons? How horrible am I?

Rapesexcultgoon:

If this super god was powerful enough to create god, how the gently caress did regular god kick super god's rear end and lock his rear end in another dimension?
Also, have you done the sex with hot girl again yet?

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal

Sagebrush posted:

"Pregaming" at home alone before going out to drink at a pub is alcoholism hth

I don’t drink alone, I meant me and the wife would have ‘prinks’ while we’re getting ready before we go to the pub or something.

Also I haven’t had a drink in over 2 weeks so I don’t think I have an issue personally.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
In 2018 I’m genuinely more surprised by a 30 year old whose never had a drink or a buzz than a 30 year old virgin.

But I’m also mountain town white trash and getting hosed up and laid anywhere between 14-18 was the norm, even for and especially the rich and or smart kids. There’s just nothing else to do and if there is something to do, it’s a 45 minute drive on winding mountain roads. I don’t really grok the environment that allows someone to grow inside such a bubble that they’d never want to try altering their perspective.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Imo it's usually not a sheltered bubble that creates lifelong nondrinkers, it's the lack of a sheltered bubble. If you get exposed to adults' alcoholism and related issues as a kid, drinking might seem really unappealing to you! At least that's my deal.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Nm

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Anne Whateley posted:

Imo it's usually not a sheltered bubble that creates lifelong nondrinkers, it's the lack of a sheltered bubble. If you get exposed to adults' alcoholism and related issues as a kid, drinking might seem really unappealing to you! At least that's my deal.

Yeah, I’ve got family that are crazy Baptists who have never touched a drop and I know people in the above vein who have never touched a drop, or have but won’t touch it now. I’m just surprised it’s apparently such a significant portion of the population that literally like half of the country purportedly hasn’t had a drink in the last year or whatever.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

I’d take that survey with a grain o salt

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

sugar free jazz posted:

I’d take that survey with a grain o salt

I'll pull it off the rim of my 7th margarita

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
If you don’t drink alone how do you know that you’re fun to drink with?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Bust Rodd posted:

In 2018 I’m genuinely more surprised by a 30 year old whose never had a drink or a buzz than a 30 year old virgin.

But I’m also mountain town white trash and getting hosed up and laid anywhere between 14-18 was the norm, even for and especially the rich and or smart kids. There’s just nothing else to do and if there is something to do, it’s a 45 minute drive on winding mountain roads. I don’t really grok the environment that allows someone to grow inside such a bubble that they’d never want to try altering their perspective.

That sort of situation is a breeding ground for lifelong rampant alcoholism, really. It becomes well I can't have fun sober and the only thing to do is drink as heavily as possible so let's all develop addictions as teenagers, yay! Then if the economic prospects are wretched that also becomes how you cope.

Not that I'm from a rural rust belt town. Nope, not me. Not at all!

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

thoughts and prayers posted:

You mean you don't jump on the Talinn ferry to buy cases of dirt cheap duty free?

Amateur.
Yeah, that's how you get the alcohol for the pregaming, obviously. (I was only there as a tourist, though.)

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
Yanks are poo poo at drinking. "20 beers at a ball game" is 20 stubby tins, which is what? 5 pints? Raise your aim.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Personally I'm a lightweight and it's great. I save so much money, and I get to the point so much quicker. Everyone around me is drinking their wallet dry trying to show off while I'm more than unstable enough after a few ciders.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I legit miss when 6 bottles would leave me so drunk my face would go numb.

But at the same time I love drinking so much I'm glad I can do more of it and for a longer time and pints here cost a quid so it'd be rude NOT to be a drunk.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Drunken Baker posted:

Yanks are poo poo at drinking. "20 beers at a ball game" is 20 stubby tins, which is what? 5 pints? Raise your aim.

I like when Brits make fun of us for using the measurement units they invented instead of the perfect logical French system and then turn around and say things like this :v:

Depending on the stadium, a "beer" is probably 12 ounces. 20 of those is 15 pints. Even if you're using a British pint, which is loving humongous for some reason (ask me about trying to finish a pint of bitter, gross) it's still 12 pints. Sorry but if that doesn't sound like a lot to you you should probably start up AA.

also what I said in an earlier post, about how much you drink to get SOOOO DRUNK on Friday night vs how much you drink to get through your average workday without breaking down crying being two different ideas, still applies

loquacius fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Aug 30, 2018

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

loquacius posted:

drink to get through your average workday without breaking down crying

I still cry it's just more fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

loquacius posted:

I like when Brits make fun of us for using the measurement units they invented instead of the perfect logical French system and then turn around and say things like this :v:

It's called being able to admit when you're wrong, that might take America a while.