Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Zetetica posted:

Yeah, gold from mining iron is incredibly rare. You do get a few guaranteed deposits in the dungeon but those are one time only. If you care about maximizing your graveyard you are best off saving all your gold nuggets to make injections and buy the jewelry you need finished from the merchant.

gently caress wish I knew that earlier, I just spent 3 gold bars making my Damask with Gem, and another one for some jewelry :(

Oh well

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Fair warning for people buying those jewelry parts for 50s each: you must have the Aristocrat papers to progress some of the quests, so at some point you have to bank that 12g.

With a 300 point graveyard and a gold star combo prayer (with 60+ church points), you get like 35s per sermon.

The rest of the cash I made from selling silver bars and a mix of nails, iron parts, and complex iron parts, with a side of vegetable crates. Completed jewelry sounds good in theory, but Ms Charm only ever has enough cash to buy one at a time.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
I feel like i'm missing something cause Ms Charm is who wants me to shell out 12g for the papers, but doesn't buy jack from me

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Yeah I'm at like 2g and getting to 12g seems insane. I've been doing a bunch of silver bars. I used to do wine but the amount of effort required doesn't seem worth it, especially because you can't easily batch it.

I may have to just end up CEing the rest the gold because yikes.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
When can I start getting Dark Brain stuff? I did the Inquisitor quest up through where he wants me to sell 5 gold hamburgs and 10 gold beer which I just did, and now he doesn't even do anything and doesn't list any further activities under NPCs. Did I miss something else to continue his plot?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Xaris posted:

When can I start getting Dark Brain stuff? I did the Inquisitor quest up through where he wants me to sell 5 gold hamburgs and 10 gold beer which I just did, and now he doesn't even do anything and doesn't list any further activities under NPCs. Did I miss something else to continue his plot?

Go to the Inn.

Yes, it's not telegraphed at all and is very arbitrary.

Edit: Bring 1 gold beer with you

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
I have the church at second upgrade, 200 ish graveyard, 60 ish in church, and bronze money scroll give me 1 gold each sermon. Do it twelve time and i am rich. :catholic:

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Dirk the Average posted:

Go to the Inn.

Yes, it's not telegraphed at all and is very arbitrary.

Edit: Bring 1 gold beer with you

Do I need to do that on any particular day?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Xaris posted:

Do I need to do that on any particular day?

No.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

HenryEx posted:

I've found like 3 gold nuggets total in *checks in-game clock*

203.6 days of play
Same, but I powdered one nugget and I'm still working my way through the stacks of gold injections it produced.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

I skipped the whole embalming thing. It doesn’t seem to worth the effort unless you want high score in rating, :confuoot:

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm
I got the merchant's trade house upgraded to 3 fame and sold 7 crates, I clicked the dialog box to advance the quest and either double clicked it too fast or it bugged out, either way it got skipped and now I'm wondering what the next step in his questline is? There's a greyed out "about the final plan..." option in his dialog tree that needs 70 standing and I have 40 right now. (Also, now I'm up to 5 pallets and probably 15ish crates shipped.)

I still haven't done hiccup grass for him, is that all?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Ms. Charm will offer the next step at 40 - you have to make her a jewelry, then she'll send you back to Merchant.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Xaris posted:

gently caress wish I knew that earlier, I just spent 3 gold bars making my Damask with Gem, and another one for some jewelry :(

Oh well

I wonder how long it takes to actually beat this drat game. I'm like 13 hours in and at less than 30 rep with nearly everyone--and given what the nature of the main story seems to be that's probably a sure sign I'm not very close :saddowns:

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

It took me just over 70 hours, but I hosed around a lot with making the graveyard good and didn’t know about the teleport stone until like the last 10 hours, so I think you could expect 40-50 more hours of play

The really big drag on the game in making 12 good to become an Aristocrat

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Is there anyone who buys Gold Wine or Beer or Mead? Does Mead even have a use?

Its kind of annoying the ability for NPCs to buy from you goes away if something is loving gold.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Xaris posted:

Its kind of annoying the ability for NPCs to buy from you goes away if something is loving gold.

I know the merchant will buy gold wine. You might check on the other stuff.

What I want to know is why are a lot of items in vendors greyed out even if you've unlocked that tier of goods? I can't see any reason why I can't buy those items.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
I think that's supposed to be the "Hey, i'm buying this kind of item from you... if you want" hint. I'm guessing due to how the trade/inventory system is set up, they can only trade for items they have listed in their own inventory.

Hence why it's so difficult to get rid of your Tier 1 not-rusty tools

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

I wonder how long it takes to actually beat this drat game. I'm like 13 hours in and at less than 30 rep with nearly everyone--and given what the nature of the main story seems to be that's probably a sure sign I'm not very close :saddowns:
I'm just over 50 hours and I'm currently in the wrap-up period where I'm just delivering easily available items to people then waiting a week for their questlines to continue.

Xaris posted:

Nobody buys Gold Beer. Once I satisfied all the quest requirements for beer I just started making mead because the quantities you produce make the health/energy deficit not that noticeable and the labour and opportunity costs saved by using a single honey ingredient over 15 wheat was a no-brainer for me.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

I got the innkeeper to tell me to hop upstairs to grab the mead recipe, but I am only at 20 opinion. I read something about selling him a package of meat to get +10 opinion - is that what people who got the recipe did?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Dirk the Average posted:

I got the innkeeper to tell me to hop upstairs to grab the mead recipe, but I am only at 20 opinion. I read something about selling him a package of meat to get +10 opinion - is that what people who got the recipe did?

Yeah, I had to sell him meat before he let me upstairs. You can obtain the stamp two ways, one through an npc or by purchasing it from the mailbox.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Ghostlight posted:

I'm just over 50 hours and I'm currently in the wrap-up period where I'm just delivering easily available items to people then waiting a week for their questlines to continue.

Nobody buys Gold Beer. Once I satisfied all the quest requirements for beer I just started making mead because the quantities you produce make the health/energy deficit not that noticeable and the labour and opportunity costs saved by using a single honey ingredient over 15 wheat was a no-brainer for me.

You can, however, repeat the quest to provide refreshments at the burning. 10 gold beer and 5 gold burgers gives 33 silver and some faith every week.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

StrixNebulosa posted:

The way it's handled is pretty frustrating, in a black comedy kind of way - I was actually excited to see the Town, but nope lightning bolt. Screw you.

Wish I knew this before I spent the cash on it. Oh well.

I do think that it would have been to the game's detriment to include the Town, since half the people in the village treat it with such undisguised scorn and you are constant loving with them by sending bodies down the river. It's better to keep it as a mysterious hive of the bourgeoisie rather than as a place you can go.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Bakanogami posted:

You can, however, repeat the quest to provide refreshments at the burning. 10 gold beer and 5 gold burgers gives 33 silver and some faith every week.

Up until the quest progresses and then the king outlaws witch burning.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

Gold beer ( and gold burger) are sold through the inquisitior’s side of the setup.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Dirk the Average posted:

Up until the quest progresses and then the king outlaws witch burning.
Yeah - I got to do it twice!

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Is there any penalty for leaving dark organs in corpses and just sticking them in your graveyard?

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I don't know why I find this game so compelling. Arg. I just opened up the Church and now I have eight billion things I want to get done. But overall it's a very relaxing experience. I'm not seeing the frantic plate-spinning that people talked about elsewhere. There's just like - no rush? Ever.
I support the donkey's strike action.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Can anyone tell me what i'm supposed to do with the approximately 200 maggots i've got stockpiled

does anyone buy them

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
You can use then as fishing bait but I haven't needed them so far. Maybe the fisherman will buy them? Inventory and storage space is at a premium, don't be afraid to just trash the stuff that builds up.

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of trash piling up, what do i do with these stacks of limestone, and sulfur

i mean i can grind them down in the lachemy lab

one by one

veeery slowly

but seriously, i just wanted to get some coal for my furnace and end up with 3 stacks of limestone.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

HenryEx posted:

Can anyone tell me what i'm supposed to do with the approximately 200 maggots i've got stockpiled

does anyone buy them

Distill them into life extract you can use to make Gold quality fertilizer

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

Distill them into life extract you can use to make Gold quality fertilizer

i think life extract is the single ingredient i have the most of (like, 60+), since i throw all the human hearts i harvest into the alchemy furnace

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

HenryEx posted:

Speaking of trash piling up, what do i do with these stacks of limestone, and sulfur

i mean i can grind them down in the lachemy lab

That's all you can do with 'em. Limestone for white powder so you can make porcelain urns or white paint, sulfur for life powder which is one of the recipes if you're embalming, and I guess health potions if you aren't big on chugging wine or figuring out how to dodge everything in the dungeon (or just facetank everything and die with zero consequences).

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

Bakanogami posted:

Is there any penalty for leaving dark organs in corpses and just sticking them in your graveyard?

Sort of, dark organs have something like 4 red skulls and suppress a white skull, so it's always worth extracting them to raise the corpse quality.

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

HenryEx posted:

does anyone buy them

You can eat them for 2 energy a pop.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
Yesterday I decided that I should halt everything and rebuild the workshop area so pottery, metalworking, woodworking and glassmaking all have their own, tidy spaces, with extra trunks and furnaces and poo poo in each.

Game is good.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

Fat Samurai posted:

Yesterday I decided that I should halt everything and rebuild the workshop area so pottery, metalworking, woodworking and glassmaking all have their own, tidy spaces, with extra trunks and furnaces and poo poo in each.

I want to do this but I am way too lazy. I can't even get up the gumption to move the iron table closer to the iron vein in the quarry.

atholbrose fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 31, 2018

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
Well, I've maxed out pretty much all tech (except like Carved Wood, and the 300 blue death one for showing skulls). Carved wood especially seems like it's not really implemented and other unnecessary, so I'm done with the tech. I've also starting embalming and up to about 10 perfect corpses, but still limited on getting 5-skull corpses associated faith for marble stuff. That's fine although I guess we don't have any new church goes to work towards after 200 anyways right?

Right now I'm trying to get Aristocrat Papers and holy hell the game has ground to a massive halt. I have about 3 NPCs waiting on me to grab that and right now only at 5.5 gold. I'm using a gold-star Combo Faith with 80-church and 300-graveyard, and only get about ~50-60silver a week from that; running boxes to the Trade Office is kind of obnoxious and I tried to make a train to push them all but the physics in this are wonky. I usually couple that with selling some Gold/Silver Wine which helps but still not much. Are there any other get-quick-rich things I should be doing? It looks like maybe the best thing to do is just mine/cut iron ore for sweet Silver Ore to sell as Ingots?

Or does someone know the CE memory address for money just so I set myself at like 10.5 gold because yikes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Yeah just go slap the iron vein and hope for silver drops. The dungeon also has some one-time silver, gold, and gem veins.

I also like to make steel parts, both kinds of iron parts, and nails to sell to the blacksmith. Jamming out iron parts saps your stamina super fast so you can pass the time between sermons extra fast as well.