Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Really stupid question,but if I am using a specific URL why do I still have to use the code? Shouldn't they be able to program websites to automatically add it if you go the URL?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

Malcolm Excellent posted:

Really stupid question,but if I am using a specific URL why do I still have to use the code? Shouldn't they be able to program websites to automatically add it if you go the URL?

I believe it's because they're tracking different metrics. If you go to the show specific-URL just to looky-loo that gives them a sense of what kind of ad impressions a show is driving; if you actually USE the Promo Code, that's letting them know what show ads are most effective in terms of sales.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Yeah, plus it's a little bit harder to do the code-entering step with a bot.

Possibly also due to "private browsing"/adblocked web clients stripping cookies out of the equation.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
Woah, little Esther again. I always thought she was one of the best low key guests from the early days. And a strong Hayes bully

cams
Mar 28, 2003

she outright hates being on the podcast at all times. great ep.

power botton
Nov 2, 2011

cams posted:

she outright hates being on the podcast at all times. great ep.

Yeah it doesnt seem like she gets it.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Tarranon posted:

Woah, little Esther again. I always thought she was one of the best low key guests from the early days. And a strong Hayes bully

true HH fans remember Hayes not knowing the difference between offer only and a holding deal

T. Bombastus
Feb 18, 2013

Help Im Alive posted:

true HH fans remember Hayes not knowing the difference between offer only and a holding deal
that was mortifying

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

Today's Off Book with Tawny Newsome is an absolute GOAT. Really hilarious. That's about the most off mic laughter from them that I've ever heard.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
Today on Hollywood Handbook:

"gently caress THE loving DOUGH BOYS!"

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Little Esther is weirdly the perfect HH guest.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

ah, what a good episode of obscure with uncontroversial and very good comedian michael ian black. now to open twitter and take a big swig of coffee

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

R. Guyovich posted:

ah, what a good episode of obscure with uncontroversial and very good comedian michael ian black. now to open twitter and take a big swig of coffee

It'd be so much weirder if he wasn't a Hollywood guy infatuated with hollywood people. Like "I'm so glad the manager of the Novatell in Iowa who exposed his penis to a maid and threatened her job can be forgiven and resume his duties" doesn't... work

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
As a fan of Pootie Tang I am bummed Louis CK was a creep.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Scot got so many details wrong in the new Nancy story that I couldn't listen any more. I may have to unsub.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Really hoping this Gourley/Rust show sticks around and continues on with other horror franchises as they stated the desire to do. It's like James Bonding but with two good hosts and a subject matter I'm even more interested in.

Malcolm Excellent
May 20, 2007

Buglord
I like that G&R seem like they are friends. I also like how they watched the movie together.

Gargamel Gibson
Apr 24, 2014
Goddamn Matt Mira sucks. gently caress.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Really hoping this Gourley/Rust show sticks around and continues on with other horror franchises as they stated the desire to do. It's like James Bonding but with two good hosts and a subject matter I'm even more interested in.

I thought that live show on the I Was There Too feed was a bit rocky, but I loved the actual first two eps.

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Malcolm Excellent posted:

I like that G&R seem like they are friends. I also like how they watched the movie together.

Gargamel Gibson posted:

Goddamn Matt Mira sucks. gently caress.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time
If you're listening to James Bonding pay attention to how often Mira makes a horrendous joke and interrupts his own punchline with "UHHHH" and changes the subject

It's fascinating how frequent it is

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

Riptor posted:

If you're listening to James Bonding pay attention to how often Mira makes a horrendous joke and interrupts his own punchline with "UHHHH" and changes the subject

Giving Matt Mira and Jonah Ray relevance is one of the worst things Chris Hardwick has ever done

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

Riptor posted:

you're right, but I just can't pay attention to something that undeserving of a comedy career

Puppy Galaxy posted:

Giving Matt Mira and Jonah Ray relevance is one of the worst things Chris Hardwick has ever done

2010s podcasting got 'Wicked and we're just now recovering

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

even before he went full-on louis ck defender who the hell thought a podcast where michael ian black reads thomas hardy was a good idea. still boggles the mind every time i hear an ad for it.

Tarranon
Oct 10, 2007

Diggity Dog
He gave a pretty good apology as far as this stuff goes at least.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do

R. Guyovich posted:

even before he went full-on louis ck defender who the hell thought a podcast where michael ian black reads thomas hardy was a good idea. still boggles the mind every time i hear an ad for it.

That's... sort of funny, in the same way that this is funny

https://voices.clickhole.com/the-time-i-spent-on-a-commercial-whaling-ship-totally-c-1825124286

Like the joke's the headline

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Hayes is on High & Mighty today talking to Gabrus about the LA Housing crisis for an hour and a half.

WoG
Jul 13, 2004

R. Guyovich posted:

"Who would watch a show about NOTHING?!"

It's an interesting framework, and he's a funny guy, that's the 'idea'.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I'm on the fence about listening to it, but I do think that Topics is one of the best podcasts I've ever listened to, and one that actually rewards listening to the whole thing in order so you can hear the evolution of the insane backstory Black and Showalter develop for the show and the increasingly petty bureaucratic rules.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

WoG posted:

"Who would watch a show about NOTHING?!"

It's an interesting framework, and he's a funny guy, that's the 'idea'.

it's not an interesting framework.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

That Obscure podcast isn't just about reading/making fun of the book?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

JethroMcB posted:

Hayes is on High & Mighty today talking to Gabrus about the LA Housing crisis for an hour and a half.

I'm having a hard time imagining Gabrus adding much to the conversation beyond "yeah bro, totally" and "that's hosed up."

drainpipe
May 17, 2004

AAHHHHHHH!!!!

Sinteres posted:

I'm having a hard time imagining Gabrus adding much to the conversation beyond "yeah bro, totally" and "that's hosed up."

But you know, Gabrus is actually kinda smart.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Chairman Capone posted:

I'm on the fence about listening to it, but I do think that Topics is one of the best podcasts I've ever listened to, and one that actually rewards listening to the whole thing in order so you can hear the evolution of the insane backstory Black and Showalter develop for the show and the increasingly petty bureaucratic rules.
Similar thing for Mike and Tom Eat Snacks. MIB tends to start with dumb premises and then builds up even dumber rules/backstory to support it.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

drainpipe posted:

Just ask him.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.

drainpipe posted:

He got really real on last week's Wompler podcast during Listler's Love Lockdown about an older couple waiting to have kids and then having trouble conceiving. That part of the show has really evolved to serious heartfelt advice from ridiculous characters.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.

Fezz posted:

He got really real on last week's Wompler podcast during Listler's Love Lockdown about an older couple waiting to have kids and then having trouble conceiving. That part of the show has really evolved to serious heartfelt advice from ridiculous characters.

Jessica's surprise at his insights was legit hilarious.

I honestly have mixed feelings about the Lockdown segment. I appreciate it and they want to do it. They do it well and with open hearts. But the listeners they pick are depressing as hell sometimes.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Yeah Love Lockdown went from a light "Online dating is hard! Any tips???" kind of thing to a "6 months ago I lost both of my parents in a tragic live burial accident on the same day that I found out that I contracted ovarian flu while receiving treatment for rabies..." bringdown so gradually I didn't notice it.

anotherone
Feb 8, 2001
Username taken, please choose another one
truthfully they should just spin the Love Lockdown off into a separate podcast where they could engage with the listeners without having to pretend to be a former sniper and a high schooler who doesn't know how old she is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
It seems like it would be a good fit on stitches premium