Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tei
Feb 19, 2011

I have fond memories of Prototype. I dunno. Prototype is Hulk, but is also the Max Payne. Except even more ridiculous.

Moving around with Prototype was a joy, and by half the game you had the powers of a god, so to balance things, the game throwns at you more than fit on the screen. The gore is absurd to a point that become hilarious. But the game insist in taking itself serius.

The scale of destruction just grown, so you change and the world change. The enemies change. It start pretty normal, you can walk around like a normal person, and it ends with moment to moment apocalypse events.

The only game you can compare such over-the-top-iness is God of War. Really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I never played prototype because it looked like a bad game for some reason. I regret it now.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

JBP posted:

I never played prototype because it looked like a bad game for some reason. I regret it now.

no, your instincts were right

it's an immensely tedious game despite a few neat powers

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
At the time people called it a Carnage game with the label ripped off, which is pretty accurate.

I actually liked the plot in 1, it made Blackwatch a good mix of necessary desperation and unnecessary villainy. In 2 they messed this up and they're just cartoon supervillains.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

It's a good game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVU-EPWIqIg

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
all my good memories of prototype are drowned out by a million missile-firing helicopters, terrible boss fights, and super-soldier enemies that never flinch

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Hold down square until you glow, breaks down guards, breaks down faces.

I guess I'll abuse that more. It just feels really awkward since it's just one hit instead of something you can combo.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Oxxidation posted:

all my good memories of prototype are drowned out by a million missile-firing helicopters, terrible boss fights, and super-soldier enemies that never flinch

This is all true. Also for some reason when you down a helicopter (and only a helicopter, no other enemy unit) you hear the pilot screaming in fear about how they're going to crash which always affected me more than the devs may have intended.

The web of memories or whatever was a really cool mechanic, though.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Prototype is one of the games just fun to gently caress around in. I never get tired of running up walls and then elbow slamming tanks.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

RareAcumen posted:

I guess I'll abuse that more. It just feels really awkward since it's just one hit instead of something you can combo.

You can combo off it because it usually stuns everyone it hits, eventually you'll get the combo speed up + power through guard which renders them helpless and very, very eventually you'll get the skill to store up charges which is just lol.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Oxxidation posted:

yuuuuuuuuup

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Escobarbarian posted:

This doesn’t happen in 0 but does in Kiwami and it’s one thing that super pisses me off, so yikes

I don't know what to say man. I literally put the disk in to check myself and was just comboing away on a dude's guard and doing no damage. In Kiwami 2 you bounce off, here you can just keep going. Maybe it's because I've got all the attack boosts? I dunno. I remember that happening when Mr. Shakedown got his heat meter going and maybe sometimes with bosses? But I mean this change goes for every rank and file mook too.

Found Majima, started throwing punches, still not bouncing off of him. Maybe it's a random chance thing? How it's working for me right now is combo on guard--> break through--> damage in Kiwami 2 it's combo on guard--> recoil --> start again.

I'd highly recommend downloading the demo first and seeing if that's something you can deal with before buying the game.

Sakurazuka posted:

You can combo off it because it usually stuns everyone it hits, eventually you'll get the combo speed up + power through guard which renders them helpless and very, very eventually you'll get the skill to store up charges which is just lol.

Alright, well, since you're just full of answers today, do you have a way to make throws do damage if people hit a wall instead of getting properly launched out of your hands?

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Aug 30, 2018

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I really want to beat DQXI but I have a shiny new steelbook Yak2Wami sitting on the table stand (that's a lie, it's inside the PS4 and installed, waiting for me) and I don't know which to play more.

Also reached a huge plot point in DQ that's wild and I can't just put it down now.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I got an email from Amazon Canada saying they shipped Spider-Man today, so hopefully it ships fast and I get it early next week.

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Autosave breaking the brains of so many people that they literally cannot adjust is one of the most consistently refreshing things in games going on right now.

The image of goons white knuckling their controllers while being forced to open a menu and press save goes well with the morning coffee. :coffeepal:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Black Stones posted:

I got an email from Amazon Canada saying they shipped Spider-Man today, so hopefully it ships fast and I get it early next week.

When I log into my account it says between Sep 13 and 26.

Classic Parker Luck...

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

owl_pellet posted:

Am I missing anything? I know about Uncharted and I may dip into that or I may not, the new Tomb Raider series has been scratching that type of itch pretty thoroughly.
Thanks!

WipeOut Omega Collection if you're into sci-fi speedracing,
Ratchet & Clank if you like fun platformers/brawlers.

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Aug 30, 2018

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

goferchan posted:

Nah you just have to use the new charged hit mechanic, it breaks guards and you can charge up while guarding yourself. There's also a skill you can unlock that keeps you from getting knocked back when you hit blocking enemies with a combo. I'm playing on normal mode and once you get some good skills this definitely seems like the easiest game combat-wise

I've found that you can charge one attack while doing the other, like I'll hold Triangle while doing light attacks and it'll charge during that combo letting me finish with a drop kick, although personally I like the running heavy charge attack.

JBP posted:

The textures look different but ok devs.

One of the devs on twitter pointed out that the comparison shots are at different times of the day, other examples of the release version show that he still looks the same when in similar lighting.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I guess we’ll see when people get their retail copies

LOL if this turns out to be a non-issue what lessons are devs going to learn from this

“Don’t even move the sun or any puddles between trailer and release”

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Steve Yun posted:

what lessons are devs going to learn from this

show less gameplay, show more pre-rendered cutscenes

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I liked in the early game of prototype when the zombies are running around you could morph into a soldier and join their street clearing operations

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Or being an old lady running up a skyscraper lmao

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Steve Yun posted:

I guess we’ll see when people get their retail copies

LOL if this turns out to be a non-issue what lessons are devs going to learn from this

"If"?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
this exact same fracas went down with Witcher 3

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Brightman posted:

One of the devs on twitter pointed out that the comparison shots are at different times of the day, other examples of the release version show that he still looks the same when in similar lighting.

Sorry I wasn't trying to be snarky and that's cool. Spidey looks a bit more cartoony (probably for the reason you said) and that's fine.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

mycot posted:

From like two pages ago but is Wattam basically in a Last Guardian-esque time void somewhere deep in Sony?

You know, creative games take time and have a different dev process than the standard algorithmic trash produced in the west. The entire culture in Japan basically accepts it as normal that you work on all parts of the game simultaneously, rather than building an engine first and going from there. Sometimes things take a long time in Japan, but remember that they have long-term development, etc, ingrained in their culture. "Ganbatte", do your best, basically implies "never give up, work until you die, and don't disappoint your peers because your spirit-world honor is dependent on your flesh-world conduct." Reminding oneself of this is how you keep sane while waiting a decade for The Last Guardian to release despite everyone saying it's dead.

The Japanese are ridiculous, but they deliver.

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I got a brand new one with my GoW Pro and it'll be on 1 or 2 bars after a few hours.

loving TOUCH PAD! :argh:

lmbo

Danaru posted:

*Yoko Taro makes me open a menu to save the game*

This. Is. Violence.

:blastu:

Kilometers Davis posted:

Geralt’s calm stoic demeanor while adventuring around is oddly comforting.

Are you prepared for his calm stoic demeanor while....CLASHING SWORDS AND SOULS ??

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=33EoknxA83A

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
The trick to Yakiwami 2 charged attacks is that the Square charges really quickly and you can let it out in emergencies and the Triangle can be charged while Kiryu is still finishing his longer combos, so it is slower but if you use that tactic you can pretty much finish a move and then immediately let out a heavy charged attack. Honestly, I'm enjoying this much better than the two previous Yaks. Having three weapons in quick slots is also incredibly helpful.

Also, I don't know the specifics, but I feel my guard is also much better in this game, even before ReGuard.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

You know, creative games take time and have a different dev process than the standard algorithmic trash produced in the west. The entire culture in Japan basically accepts it as normal that you work on all parts of the game simultaneously, rather than building an engine first and going from there. Sometimes things take a long time in Japan, but remember that they have long-term development, etc, ingrained in their culture. "Ganbatte", do your best, basically implies "never give up, work until you die, and don't disappoint your peers because your spirit-world honor is dependent on your flesh-world conduct." Reminding oneself of this is how you keep sane while waiting a decade for The Last Guardian to release despite everyone saying it's dead.

The Japanese are ridiculous, but they deliver.

lmao

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
But I don't care about Yaks anymore because a real game has been delivered

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Oxxidation posted:

The rabble needs its regularly scheduled pound of flesh.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Videogame honor is no laughing matter, you loving goon.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Samuringa posted:

The number in the bottom left is how many minutes you'll play this

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea

Oxxidation posted:

In fairness for the witcher 3 they completely re-did the lighting engine - I dont believe they did it as a downgrade, but more because the manpower it would take to direct it was too significant. It did change the look.
This is a dynamic weather and light system moving a puddle and shadows being in a different place. Accusations of downgrades like this are not going to be a good thing for early previews.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The number in the bottom left is how many minutes you'll play this

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
the last guardian was mediocre-to-decent and nothing more

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

cubicle gangster posted:

In fairness for the witcher 3 they completely re-did the lighting engine - I dont believe they did it as a downgrade, but more because the manpower it would take to direct it was too significant. It did change the look.
This is a dynamic weather and light system moving a puddle and shadows being in a different place. Accusations of downgrades like this are not going to be a good thing for early previews.

Everything looks quite shiny in those before pics, like they had the shiny slider all the way up.

Don't care about puddles but Spidey costume looks a bit worse, I think.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Oxxidation posted:

the last guardian was mediocre-to-decent and nothing more

Halfway through and I just stopped playing and have yet to pick it back up. Really liked ico and shadow of the Colossus when I played them in PS2, too

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Everything looks quite shiny in those before pics, like they had the shiny slider all the way up.

Don't care about puddles but Spidey costume looks a bit worse, I think.

I get when the graphics are downgraded so much that it coincides with a downgrade in gameplay (like multiplatform games) but I find it hard to believe anyone who was hype to buy Spider-Man is now not going to because the textures or water reflections are a bit worse, assuming that's even true.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Samuringa posted:

You moron.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Lobok posted:

I get when the graphics are downgraded so much that it coincides with a downgrade in gameplay (like multiplatform games) but I find it hard to believe anyone who was hype to buy Spider-Man is now not going to because the textures or water reflections are a bit worse, assuming that's even true.

Agreed.