Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

Will they DESTROY THE GUILDS?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

Return to Return to Return to Ravnica in 2022 will be Ravnica vs. Alara vs. Tarkir: Multicolor Mayhem

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

GoutPatrol posted:

You see, this is how you make esports stars

always bet on duke

duke duke duke

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNOyI9V2RfE
Now I really want to hear Reid say "what a duketastrophe!" when he loses.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
Reid "The Bones" Duke

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

It's time to kick rear end and exile target card from a graveyard. If it was a creature card, put a +1/+1 counter on Scavenging Ooze and you gain 1 life, and I'm all out of green mana.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

The guilds aren't going to be in the third set, it'll be all Gatewatch vs. Bolas: this time it's personal.

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

I hope that the entire loving boring rear end Gatewatch/Superfriends crew and Bolas all die together, Karn tries to blow up New Phyrexia and dies, his spark reignites the Weatherlight's planeshift ability and we get the adventures of Jhoira and the new Weatherlight crew for a few sets.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Yawgmoth posted:

Now I really want to hear Reid say "what a duketastrophe!" when he loses.

And when he makes a sick play the commentators say it was dukelicious

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

mcmagic posted:

Pikula getting in would be a joke. Lee and Seth both deserve it.

No it wouldn’t be.

The Magic Hall of Fame is stupid nonsense anyways.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

ItBreathes posted:

The guilds aren't going to be in the third set, it'll be all Gatewatch vs. Bolas: this time it's personal.

Pretty much

http://markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/177459704818/mark-does-every-set-have-to-center-on-a-plane

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I didn't realise madness was so high on the storm scale. I played with a madness deck a few weeks ago and it was really weird and fun when you have a deck built around it. Zero cost creatures and random buffs/counterspells..

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

ilmucche posted:

I didn't realise madness was so high on the storm scale. I played with a madness deck a few weeks ago and it was really weird and fun when you have a deck built around it. Zero cost creatures and random buffs/counterspells..

Because it's a weird fuckin mechanic about casting cards when they're discarded that requires not only cards with the mechanic but also a lot of enablers. Shadows has 32 cards that cause discards. To compare, Ixalan, a set without a graveyard mechanic, has 14.

It's a difficult beast to wrangle. A definite element of the storm scale is how much R&D just wants to loving deal with it.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I also dont think there was a single constructed playable madness card in SoI either so when r&d did revisit it was extremely conservative with its design

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

for what its worth i dont think it would rate that highly if threshhold had been a $500 deck but i guess we'll never truly know

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

AnEdgelord posted:

I also dont think there was a single constructed playable madness card in SoI either so when r&d did revisit it was extremely conservative with its design

Fiery Temper was playable (It was a reprint)

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

https://twitter.com/Mochaqt_/status/1034899319835516928

Aw, I thought these were actual stickers and was going to pick some up for my daughter. Still, cute!

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

rabidsquid posted:

for what its worth i dont think it would rate that highly if threshhold had been a $500 deck but i guess we'll never truly know

Threshold was one of my favorite mechanics back in the day and I'm kind of bummed that it will probably never get a comeback with some refinement or new features. I don't feel like keeping track of the graveyard is THAT difficult in most games and I feel like threshold allows some interesting stuff w/r/t game states and static effects that might be too powerful or unwieldy otherwise, but I guess that goes against the "NO BAD FEELINGS" mindset of R&D these days.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
In other cool coverage news they are actually going to be streaming every round of Japanese Nationals with English commentary next weekend as time walk matches after the Stream for the Team Modern GP ends. Marshall will be doing it from WOTC HQ with various R&D members.

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/organized-play/coverage-through-world-championship-2018-08-30

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

odiv posted:

https://twitter.com/Mochaqt_/status/1034899319835516928

Aw, I thought these were actual stickers and was going to pick some up for my daughter. Still, cute!

Mocha is a gift.

A shame it's yet more iOS-centric stuff though.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Threshold was one of my favorite mechanics back in the day and I'm kind of bummed that it will probably never get a comeback with some refinement or new features. I don't feel like keeping track of the graveyard is THAT difficult in most games and I feel like threshold allows some interesting stuff w/r/t game states and static effects that might be too powerful or unwieldy otherwise, but I guess that goes against the "NO BAD FEELINGS" mindset of R&D these days.

Threshold is probably dead, but Rivals of Ixalan gave us technology to do 'fixed' Threshold through Ascend, so there's that.

The real thing that'd hold back Golgari from getting neo Threshold, is, ironically, probably the existence of Dredge in Modern and Legacy. It's probably too easy for some decks in the non-rotating formats to just shunt half their deck into the graveyard and call it a day. At the very least, neo Threshold would be about as underpowered as Madness' return in SoI or any Revolt card not named Fatal Push in Aether Revolt because what OLD formats could do with the mechanic. Old rotten Golgari fucks over new age Golgari yet again!

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Guys. I played against this deck last night in MTG arena and I got absolutely murdered. It was physically painful. https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/standard-uw-control-50768#paper

I was playing my traditional style monogreen stompy deck and I've only been playing magic for a month or so and I had no idea a deck like this existed. The guy had zero creatures and just kept drawing cards and preventing me from having a good time. I have a bunch of thrashing brontosaurus and a couple naturalize cards for dealing with enchanements and artifacts but I really still had no options against this. I guess this is why people mix in Scrapheap Scroungers and stuff like that into their decks? How the hell do you deal with a deck like this?

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

ROFLburger posted:

Guys. I played against this deck last night in MTG arena and I got absolutely murdered. It was physically painful. https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/standard-uw-control-50768#paper

I was playing my traditional style monogreen stompy deck and I've only been playing magic for a month or so and I had no idea a deck like this existed. The guy had zero creatures and just kept drawing cards and preventing me from having a good time. I have a bunch of thrashing brontosaurus and a couple naturalize cards for dealing with enchanements and artifacts but I really still had no options against this. I guess this is why people mix in Scrapheap Scroungers and stuff like that into their decks? How the hell do you deal with a deck like this?

You, my friend, have just been victimized by draw-go control. You can expect to see a lot more of it in the future, as UW is not losing a whole lot and will probably gain some more fun toys when Guilds drops. My advice is add some Carnage Tyrants if you can get them, and consider running them MB instead of SB. With Commit rotating out soon, hopefully UW control will have no clean way of dealing with that short of Settle the Wreckage, which can be played around pretty easily.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

ROFLburger posted:

Be faster, have stuff in the sideboard to specifically fight against this. Especially right now, your single best option against something like this is probably Vine Mare and a whole lot of the game plan is probably finding a way to land one through the countermagic and not get it Settled by making it hard for the opponent to keep four mana up through the presentation of other threats. Or have another difficult-to-remove beater like Carnage Tyrant waiting in the wings (and your sideboard) to drop after your opponent taps out removing one threat.

The big problem is that U/W is gonna be pulling a lot of cards so if you can't get them quick enough you can always assume they're going to have an answer for what you want to do in hand, so you really need to bolster the low-end of your curve to hit harder against U/W and be less blown out by getting 1-for-1'd by removal- cards that make multiple bodies or give some immediate effect instead of just beef.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

ROFLburger posted:

Ah...control decks. They are the best, anyway, best way to beat control decks is with threats that don't stay dead (like the aforementioned scrapheap scrounger) or just being way to fast for them, ala Mono Red aggro.

Commonly decks packing hand disruption (think Kitesail Freebooter or Thoughseize) have success by getting rid of problem cards.

Mono-green stompy is oftentimes in a particularly bad position against control as it often (not always) lacks good card advantage to fight the removal, and isn't fast enough to stop the deck before it goes off.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

ROFLburger posted:

How the hell do you deal with a deck like this?

Real answer: You don't play mono-green.

Slightly better answer: You play cheap cards that can disrupt their plans like Duress, Spell Pierce, Dispel (when its legal,) Blossoming Defense, etc. You don't overcommit to a board wipe (again why green that relies heavily on its mana dorks is bad.) You play threats that demand an answer on their own, and/or that are very hard to answer like Scrapheap and the menace creature that draws cards, or you play threats that are hard to answer in other ways like planeswalkers or enchantments.

One thing I see people doing a lot that I don't think has ever worked is trying to go grindier. I see the RB decks boarding in 5 mana spells and more planeswalkers and it just never works. You don't want to, and more importantly aren't realistically able to, outgrind an active Teferi and Search for Azcanta.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Thanks for the advice guys. I really love this game. If this UW control crap is supposed to do well against mono green most of the time I guess I can live with that . I'll take use tips you guys gave me tonight and see how I fare against if I see this deck again.

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer

ROFLburger posted:

Thanks for the advice guys. I really love this game. If this UW control crap is supposed to do well against mono green most of the time I guess I can live with that . I'll take use tips you guys gave me tonight and see how I fare against if I see this deck again.

Splash either blue for negates or black for scrapheap and duress. There is absolutely no reason to just be mono green.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

Pardon my ignorance, but how can I add a scrapheap scrounger and also reliably get a swamp to be able to play him? Would I need to introduce some 'find a basic land from your library' type of card? And wouldn't that just be countered by a competent Blue White control player?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

ROFLburger posted:

Pardon my ignorance, but how can I add a scrapheap scrounger and also reliably get a swamp to be able to play him? Would I need to introduce some 'find a basic land from your library' type of card? And wouldn't that just be countered by a competent Blue White control player?

Blooming Marsh, Woodland Cemetery

Here's a mono-g stompy deck with scrounger I saw on MTG goldfish to help you out.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/standard-mono-green-stompy-50868#paper

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 30, 2018

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

ROFLburger posted:

You'll want dual lands that tap for one of your deck's primary colors and black. That way you can have your main colors ready and not commit too many lands to being Swamps.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

ROFLburger posted:

Check your collection for Blooming Marsh, woodland cemetary, and Foul Orchard, the current standard-legal B/G dual lands.

Evolving Wilds lets you fetch anything and can't be countered since it's a land drop.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
I played a guy with icy manipulators and the thing that clones artifacts. He locked me down completely all I could do was spam nice and good game. I let him win it out since I was impressed by his novelty.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive
BBD did an satirical news article about the recent MTG drama / happenings - it’s pretty accurate and amusing http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=14833

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ROFLburger posted:

Running 8 G/B duals will almost always give you the mana to do something like recast Scrapheap when you need it, you shouldn’t need anything else to do that.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I still think it's kinda weird they did this whole Nicol Bolas origin story, including a flip-card, but never actually explained how he got a planeswalker spark.

It mostly ended up just being a really overlong story about Ugin (who has no card in the set, and not even any cards referencing him), and also an obvious teaser for Return to Tarkir: the Wrath of the Khans. I figured that was an obvious hook for Tarkir, but I kind of assumed it would have taken place through some kind of timey-wimey Chrono Cross poo poo where the KTK timeline and the DTK timeline somehow clashed.

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

When does the mechanic stream start??

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
^^^ 2pm pacific

Angry Grimace posted:

I still think it's kinda weird they did this whole Nicol Bolas origin story, including a flip-card, but never actually explained how he got a planeswalker spark.

It mostly ended up just being a really overlong story about Ugin (who has no card in the set, and not even any cards referencing him), and also an obvious teaser for Return to Tarkir: the Wrath of the Khans. I figured that was an obvious hook for Tarkir, but I kind of assumed it would have taken place through some kind of timey-wimey Chrono Cross poo poo where the KTK timeline and the DTK timeline somehow clashed.

Sorry to goonsay but you managed to misinterpret just about everything lol.

1) They show him and Ugin both sparking in the normal way, when some crisis causes an emotional overload and blink there they go. They're just in different chapters.

2) The Tarkir framing story was not going to be included at all except that the author came back to them and thought it would be cool so they ran with it. I don't think you can infer anything about upcoming set schedules from it. Also it happened 1000 years before dragons of Tarkir anyway.

It also let them retcon what they said earlier about Bolas not knowing Ugin changed history to not be dead, so that's a thing I guess.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

^^^ 2pm pacific

Sorry to goonsay but you managed to misinterpret just about everything lol.

1) They show him and Ugin both sparking in the normal way, when some crisis causes an emotional overload and blink there they go. They're just in different chapters.

2) The Tarkir framing story was not going to be included at all except that the author came back to them and thought it would be cool so they ran with it. I don't think you can infer anything about upcoming set schedules from it. Also it happened 1000 years before dragons of Tarkir anyway.

It also let them retcon what they said earlier about Bolas not knowing Ugin changed history to not be dead, so that's a thing I guess.

I don't remember seeing anything at all with Bolas sparking - my recollection was that he just showed up having sparked while Ugin wasn't there.

And that Tarkir stuff is in the story and I have no idea what the author's subjective intent was in including it beyond the fact that it was in the story as much, if not more than the Bolas stuff, and they spent lots and lots of time on having them gnash their teeth and wail about the Dragonlords.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
wait they're doing GRN previews today?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

dragon enthusiast posted:

wait they're doing GRN previews today?

2pm PT they are revealing all the guild mechanics on the live stream. We probably won’t see cards till the PAX panel on Saturday.