Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Some progress on an Abominant:

Needs a few touch ups and a base, obviously.

If you’ll excuse me, I have a strange hankering to watch the X-Files season four episode two.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

ijyt posted:

So are there rules for Inquisitorial kill teams outside of Death Watch? The Eisenhorn books and all this rogue trader and warhammer quest stuff has got me itching to make a radical and puritan warband.

:qq:

Second expansion. Rogue Trader is supposed to be this fall. Presumably Inquisitors will be spring 2019.

richyp
Dec 2, 2004

Grumpy old man
Back from vacation and they release a box set with more precious GSC stuff in it. So just grabbed it and the new Conquest magazine thing, really suprised it's the full fat paint pots included. Cheaper to buy the magazine than the pot of Abaddon Black I needed and get 2 more paints a brush and 3 Bigmans for free.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I like these new models, I do indeed.

In fact I think I like all the new 40k models I’ve seen since I stared following it again this year

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Man I am so glad sisters are getting a rules update in advance of having to wait for the entire model line to be done, even if they're "beta"

muggins
Mar 3, 2008

I regard the death and mangling of a couple thousand toy soldiers as a small affair, a kind of morning dash

PierreTheMime posted:

Some progress on an Abominant:

Needs a few touch ups and a base, obviously.

If you’ll excuse me, I have a strange hankering to watch the X-Files season four episode two.

They're good boys, those peacocks

The Jumpoff
May 4, 2011
Your dad's in the Russian Mafia, that's the jumpoff!
The new ork announcements look fantastic, especially Dakka Dakka Dakka being an army wide special rule (although i wonder HOW wide that rule will go with regards to walkers). I hope Speed Freekz is at a decent price point since if the rules for buggies are good i'll likely want to buy several of the buggy sprues due to how fantastic those models look. I just hope the codex makes all our walkers worth using since right now they're somewhere between "might see a round of shooting and fighting"and "free VP for the enemy".

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer
Finished painting the last man I needed for Army August just under the deadline! Sorry not-sorry for breaking tables.

And the whole army:

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

The Jumpoff posted:

The new ork announcements look fantastic, especially Dakka Dakka Dakka being an army wide special rule

I dunno, I'm surprised GW went with that rule

Maybe it'll be FAQ'd

Skails
Feb 24, 2008

Born-In-Space

Thanks, the podcast has been consistently good. Have to agree about Campbell's fanfic voice. I could here it in my head when I started reading Legion of the Damned after the last podcast.

And Fists looking awesome Booley!

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

The Jumpoff posted:

The new ork announcements look fantastic, especially Dakka Dakka Dakka being an army wide special rule (although i wonder HOW wide that rule will go with regards to walkers).

I guessed that Ork shooting was going to be unmodified by negative hit modifiers. Dakka Dakka Dakka is even better than that. BS 5 that can't be dropped below a 6, and on 6s more Dakka. It's a thing of beauty.

I would assume Ork walkers will benefit. Space Marine vehicles not getting "army wide" special rules was a huge mistake.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Booley posted:

Finished painting the last man I needed for Army August just under the deadline! Sorry not-sorry for breaking tables.

And the whole army:

Owns.

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

xtothez posted:

I dunno, I'm surprised GW went with that rule

Maybe it'll be FAQ'd

With the extra hit roll shouldn't it be "Dakka Dakka! Dakka!"

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
For the life of me, I cannot get any basing texture paints to crack, which is what I really wanted for my Necrons. Which goop was supposed to do that, and what is needed to make it happen if it won't straight out of the pot when it dries?

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

For the life of me, I cannot get any basing texture paints to crack, which is what I really wanted for my Necrons. Which goop was supposed to do that, and what is needed to make it happen if it won't straight out of the pot when it dries?

Don't dilute it, and slap it on thick. The thicker it is, the bigger the cracks. Thin layers get fine cracks and if you go too thin, no cracks.

The cracking ones are Agrellan Earth and Martian Ironcrust.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

In addition to the advice above, put a layer of PVA glue on the base before you put the texture paint. I’m not precisely sure why this works but does cause the cracks to be more dramatic.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

PantsOptional posted:

In addition to the advice above, put a layer of PVA glue on the base before you put the texture paint. I’m not precisely sure why this works but does cause the cracks to be more dramatic.

Hm, should try that for my next batch of bases.

Also someone please stop me from bidding a trio of AT Knights just for painting purposes. I want to but my detolf case is getting rather full. D:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
How the gently caress do you make transfers look good. I'm trying out some self printed Seawolf ones and I can't stop the shoulder pads looking hosed. Flat surfaces is fine.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

PantsOptional posted:

Let the PVA dry first or slap the texture on wet glue?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

This stuff works very well: https://www.amazon.com/Ranger-TDC31...s+crackle+paint

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Heads up: Space Marine (the game) is free on Humble Bundle until tomorrow morning.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Lungboy posted:

Let the PVA dry first or slap the texture on wet glue?

Let it dry.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Technowolf posted:

Heads up: Space Marine (the game) is free on Humble Bundle until tomorrow morning.

Worth playing imo. Not great but also not bad. Jump pack and thunder hammer not getting a sequel is a crime.

Tiocfaidh Yar Ma
Dec 5, 2012

Surprising Adventures!
For anyone interested in what was probably the best 40k game, Space Marine is free on Humble Bundle atm!

edit: God dammit while I was pissing about linking my Steam account to my Humble Bundle someone stole my freebie announcing valour. Well, I'm leaving it here anyway :colbert:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

JBP posted:

Worth playing imo. Not great but also not bad. Jump pack and thunder hammer not getting a sequel is a crime.

dropping onto someone with a thunder hammer and jump pack is so ridiculously satisfying

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
I heckin' love that Norway Medieval Guard + Knight army, the rainbow space marine army, and so many more

Army August was good

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

JBP posted:

How the gently caress do you make transfers look good. I'm trying out some self printed Seawolf ones and I can't stop the shoulder pads looking hosed. Flat surfaces is fine.

You want a decal solvent. Microscale Industries Microset & Microsol (one is stronger than the other) are what a lot of people use. They'll gently melt the transfer so that it conforms to the contour of the model. If done properly you'll end up with something that looks like it was painted on.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

You want a decal solvent. Microscale Industries Microset & Microsol (one is stronger than the other) are what a lot of people use. They'll gently melt the transfer so that it conforms to the contour of the model. If done properly you'll end up with something that looks like it was painted on.

Thank you, I'll try this. I've never used decals much and it's been twisting my brain.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Don't forget to put a layer of gloss over the area, and preferably the entire model. Both to help the transfer sit smoothly, but also protect the paint from the solvent. Once you're done and it has dried, gloss over the transfer to make the edges of the decal paper vanish, then matte or satin depending on your preference for the final look.

chutche2
Jul 3, 2010

CUPOLA MY BALLS

Proof that I finished a fully painted 2000 point list for army august. Actual photos with actual camera coming after this weekend

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Ok I have a tub of this poo poo and tried it this morning: you have to slab it on super thick, and it dries glossy and clear. Would make awesome ice, not so awesome desert stuff.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
How can you guys say that somebody almost died and not tell the story?!

If you share yours I'll tell you all about the time I nearly got killed by a rabbit hutch.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Eifert Posting posted:

How can you guys say that somebody almost died and not tell the story?!

If you share yours I'll tell you all about the time I nearly got killed by a rabbit hutch.

Oh yeah, you forgot to tell about that I just realized.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Technowolf posted:

Full preview post from NOVA

- Speed Freeks!
- Warboss on Defkilla Wartrike!
- Sisters heads!
- Chapter Approved 2018: Adepta Sororitas edition!
- Imperial Knight hero!
- House Griffin transfers!
- Kill Team Command Roster!
- webcomics!

YAY! More Sisters updates. Maybe next update they will show us the SoB bases :D

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

JBP posted:

Thank you, I'll try this. I've never used decals much and it's been twisting my brain.

Self printed decals also tend to be thicker.

Try getting laser printed versions that don't need to be sealed (hence increasing the thickness) in addition to the microsol and microset.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

OhDearGodNo posted:

Ok I have a tub of this poo poo and tried it this morning: you have to slab it on super thick, and it dries glossy and clear. Would make awesome ice, not so awesome desert stuff.

worked great for me. I primed the dried paint, slathered some red and orange on it to make it look all arid and deserty.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

PantsOptional posted:

A layer of paint underneath also works. I tend to use a slightly darker colour (Steel Legion Drab for Agrellan Earth). This both shades the cracked earth and gives the medium something to grip, which I've found to be helpful as it's less likely to come off a painted base if you knock it or whatever.

E: Plus if you're using Agrellan Earth, I'd recommend doing it in patches with Agrellan Badlands filling the gaps. It matches the colour and gives the base more variation.

Fuegan fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Aug 31, 2018

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011

OhDearGodNo posted:

Full disclosure I've only used it for ice. But what you're after is a texture - and a texture that stuff does very well. Sure it's clear, but it takes paint very well once dry. I had been planning on using it for arid landscapes as well. The plan was dark brown with some red base, then the crackle, then red with brown applied on top. Top layer goes on much thicker than normal dry brushing, but not quite just painting it on.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

i like astartes vs. admech battle reports, since this portends the forthcoming irl war between incels (space marines) and volcels (mechanicus)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

BigRed0427 posted:

YAY! More Sisters updates. Maybe next update they will show us the SoB bases :D

Next month is left arms