Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Business Gorillas posted:

It's the responsibility of candidates to inspire people to vote for them, not the other way around

It sure would be cool if there were platforms the dems could run on that, say, 80%+ of their base actively wants

there are candidates doing this you know

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Epic High Five posted:

progressive policies are already pushing lame third way collaborators out of office, just look at the FL Dem primary, where an honest to god progressive not only won in a landslide, but also just about doubled turnout

the real risk isn't the left not continuing the surge, but rather the center running a spoiler candidate because they'd rather have baby death camps than pay 1% more tax on all income after their first million

it's why whoever ends up carrying the flag for the left needs to also be a cutthroat motherfucker when they need to be #basta

Yeah absolutely. And if Bernie had actually managed to beat Hillary and Trump in 2016 and was President right now, he'd likely be looking at a Congress that would be actively sabotaging his presidency the way the centrists wish the GOP would do for Trump. I guess what I was saying is I'm worried the left won't be strong enough in time and if we were to say, get the Dem presidential nom and lose, that could be a bigger setback to finally having a leftwing in this country than running loving Cory Booker.

Grape posted:

Vote in the midterms dumbass.

co-signed

Grape
Nov 16, 2017

Happily shilling for China!

Badger of Basra posted:

It's their job to let him know. :smuggo:

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

not if joe biden has anything to say about it

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

TrixRabbi posted:

Yeah absolutely. And if Bernie had actually managed to beat Hillary and Trump in 2016 and was President right now, he'd likely be looking at a Congress that would be actively sabotaging his presidency the way the centrists wish the GOP would do for Trump.

how does bernie win the general without congress also following him in '16

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

The same way Obama won the general but the house didn't follow in '12. The Senate would ideally have followed though, so appointments would still be possible and SCOTUS secured.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Pervis posted:

The same way Obama won the general but the house didn't follow in '12. The Senate would ideally have followed though, so appointments would still be possible and SCOTUS secured.

oh ok so hypothetical bernie campaign tacks sharply toward the center and then his wealthy opponent fails to out-decorum him into the white house gotcha

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
You forget we agreed Bernie would have totally gotten the various Paul R.'s and Ted C.'s to vote Democrat.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
with 2012 levels of turnout those centrist votes hafta come from somewhere

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Brother Entropy posted:

'give me a reason to vote for you' is not cynical or evil

and 'we're not as bad as the other guys' isn't a reason to vote for you

If the other guys are literal fascists then you're an evil gently caress if you don't find that a reason to vote. People are dying, children are in concentration camps.

Vote in primaries if you want to move parties left. "I'm going to stay at home and let the literal fascists win because my preferred candidate didn't win" is some cynical, literally evil poo poo.

Agean90 posted:

it is a moral imperative that you stop evil by *squints* empowering the people who do nothing to stop it

I guess alternatively really loving dumb.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Jarmak posted:

If the other guys are literal fascists then you're an evil gently caress if you don't find that a reason to vote. People are dying, children are in concentration camps.

what if the people running against them are fine with that too

hmmm these babbyjails are a skosh too far my candidate promises to return us to the familyjails we all know and love

gently caress that

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

It's the responsibility of candidates to inspire people to vote for them

this flawed understanding of democracy is why the left has sidelined itself for decades

for the thread:

https://mobile.twitter.com/joncoopertweets/status/1035157026568056832

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

this flawed understanding of democracy is why the left has sidelined itself for decades

for the thread:

loving the taste of boot and insisting that whatever flavor of boot you’re given to lick is your next meal as long as it’s served by the right people is complete and utter acceptance of your subject status

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

derail is starting to become less and less about trump voters realizing they're gonna die

for the thread:

you signed up to work for a monster of a man and his administration of genocidal psychos, you're getting EXACTLY what you signed up for lol

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

what if the people running against them are fine with that too

hmmm these babbyjails are a skosh too far my candidate promises to return us to the familyjails we all know and love

gently caress that

I'm sure this dead toddler is happy that your ideological purity is intact

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/paw9ky/toddler-died-after-getting-sick-in-ice-custody

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
it warms the cockles of my cold dead heart to read about how ex-trump staffers find themselves unemployable when they go home

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Jarmak posted:

Vote in primaries if you want to move parties left. "I'm going to stay at home and let the literal fascists win because my preferred candidate didn't win" is some cynical, literally evil poo poo.

I guess alternatively really loving dumb.

this weird shame game doesn't work on people

you can find that disappointing or evil or whatever but pragmatically it's the truth that people need reasons to vote for you and you don't earn them just by being the second worst option on the ballot

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

for the thread:

morale

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

My dad works for the corps of engineers and has been putting off his retirement forever because he's been waiting for the pay to get unfrozen so his highest three years will be higher

Now, not only is Trump not going to unfreeze the pay, but the corps is looking for more ways to get rid of all those pesky civil works so the money can get funnelled straight into the bottomless pit of the military

:stoked: that I don't live near a levee

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Brother Entropy posted:

this weird shame game doesn't work on people

you can find that disappointing or evil or whatever but pragmatically it's the truth that people need reasons to vote for you and you don't earn them just by being the second worst option on the ballot

Oh I agree strategically. I can separately hold both that it's necessary to win and that people suck.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Jarmak posted:

https://news.vice.com/en_us/article/paw9ky/toddler-died-after-getting-sick-in-ice-custody

whoa that's terrible i'm glad that this cause célèbre has led to the dems throwing their entire weight toward abolishing ice

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

lol it works for both

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

for the thread:

yes you did though??? you signed on to work with the fascist racist idiot president???

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
https://twitter.com/KraselShannon/status/1034092969702432769

https://twitter.com/CovfefeTraitor/status/1032260695780413440

it is i, the traitorous covfefe

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
man it is difficult digging through all the bots like this one

https://twitter.com/babyy651/status/1033022380837425153

to find the good stuff

https://twitter.com/vinnyfromtheD/status/1034806132131422208

https://twitter.com/Nchangtachi/status/1034617026206199808

Business Gorillas
Mar 11, 2009

:harambe:

Jarmak posted:

Reminder that the current batch of dem 2020 frontrunners are arguing for more concentration camp oversight as opposed to the morally correct stance of Chud Nuremberg

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
delicious

https://twitter.com/kirstenkowalsk/status/1034156529375698944

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

lmao, oh lord how naive can someone be

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
trump gonna read that tweet and personally dump coal ash into kowalski's water

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Epic High Five posted:

lmao, oh lord how naive can someone be

photographer, art gallery owner, lawyer, writer, wife, mother, jeep lover. Whew, now I'm tired.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lol

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Jarmak posted:

Allowing evil to happen when you have the ability to stop it is complacency in that evil.

Allowing evil to happen because you want to use the possibility of that evil occurring as a bargaining chip is participation in that evil.

Stopping people like Trump is a civic and moral responsibility. Now I'll agree strategically that inspiring people is the better path, but at the same time the only thing more repugnant than a Trump supporter is someone who refuses to oppose him because the alternative isn't giving them what they want. Trump supporters at least believe they're not evil, people doing this cynical bullshit are actively and intentionally causing evil and they know it's evil.

Who cares, even if you're right we're going to need the votes of cynical evil people who are too cynical and evil to be swayed by "well have you seen the other guys."

Btw using the threat of people like Trump to excuse one's own evil-but-slightly-less-evil policies is also cynical and evil.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

they prob would have but likelihood that he gets democrats resentful that he dethroned queen hillary to actually support medicare for all, wall street reform, etc. i think it's a bit different now and increasing the left pull of the party will make it even more likely.

Why does this person quit their job every time there's a new GOP candidate?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

Where on earth did this person get the idea that the guy running on racist isolationism would help southern Cameroon?

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes
:qq: I VOTED FOR YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Grape posted:

Vote in the midterms dumbass.

i'm not allowed :911:

besides, real power comes from bodies in the streets

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

got any sevens posted:

i'm not allowed :911:

Sorry about your felony conviction.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Hm yea the racist who wants refugees out of America and thinks they all come from shithole countries because they're poo poo humans who will make America a shithole too seems like the politician most likely to help the third world.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Agean90 posted:

the centrists who win because of this shot are the same people who folded in the Senate yesterday, mortaging our future so they can go home

This is why I miss Harry Reid. Yes, he was a dick for preventing the US from building its much-needed nuclear toilet. However, Reid was a wily motherfucker who would actually fight instead of resigning himself to sucking McConnell's turtle dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

VitalSigns posted:

Who cares, even if you're right we're going to need the votes of cynical evil people who are too cynical and evil to be swayed by "well have you seen the other guys."

Btw using the threat of people like Trump to excuse one's own evil-but-slightly-less-evil policies is also cynical and evil.

The point is calling out lovely people for being lovely.

BTW that's a nice non-sequitur you got there.

Reminder that the current batch of dem 2020 frontrunners are arguing for more concentration camp oversight as opposed to the morally correct stance of Chud Nuremberg

Reminder that if you don't vote then your effective position is for more and worse concentration camps.

Jarmak has issued a correction as of 20:24 on Aug 30, 2018