Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Bob Morales posted:

I think I have to sacrifice my phone reseller to please the Mitel gods

Randomly can't dial out
Randomly can't call in
Phantom calls

Someonething must pay

Your liver will pay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

All phones are poo poo and the best you can hope for is to make it Somebody Else's Problem

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
Yeah the way I deal with voip is I hire a local vendor to install and manage their Mitel implementation and have me never touch it ever.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
So a gigantic client of ours is suddenly having authentication problems. I login, and see that they changed the certificate on several of their ldap servers, so the CA Cert they gave us for TLS fails when the loadbalance redirects us to a 85% of the ldap servers. One or two of the servers in the pool still work, so eventually users are able to log in. The opened up an emergency ticket with us, it was kicked to me, I sent them detailed notes on the issue, and they proceed to close their internal emergency outage ticket with the note "users are typically able to login the second or third time, closing ticket".

Queue an angry email from their lead to my manager and the PM on why they closed their own ticket when it's not fix. The PM is like "READ THE EMAIL FROM MCJERKFACE" and they respond "you (meaning Jerkfaces) needs to fix the CA cert" which I can't since it's their ldap servers. No one understands how certs or TLS work. They keep telling me "tell us what to do and we'll do it."

The answer is GIVE ME A CACERT. When this command works very time out of a hundred tests then just put that in the cert directory:

openssl s_client -CAFile /path/to/file.pem -connect ldap.lb.ct.com:389

It's currently blowing their minds, and so help me god I'm not going to explain to someone elses ldap team what TLS certs do at 830pm when a new Better Call Saul is on in twenty minutes.

Aunt Beth
Feb 24, 2006

Baby, you're ready!
Grimey Drawer

Bob Morales posted:

Randomly can't dial out
Randomly can't call in
Phantom calls
It’s the Wonka factory of phone systems. Nobody ever dials in, and nobody ever dials out. Doompa-dee-doo!

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Jerk McJerkface posted:

So a gigantic client of ours is suddenly having authentication problems. I login, and see that they changed the certificate on several of their ldap servers, so the CA Cert they gave us for TLS fails when the loadbalance redirects us to a 85% of the ldap servers. One or two of the servers in the pool still work, so eventually users are able to log in. The opened up an emergency ticket with us, it was kicked to me, I sent them detailed notes on the issue, and they proceed to close their internal emergency outage ticket with the note "users are typically able to login the second or third time, closing ticket".

Queue an angry email from their lead to my manager and the PM on why they closed their own ticket when it's not fix. The PM is like "READ THE EMAIL FROM MCJERKFACE" and they respond "you (meaning Jerkfaces) needs to fix the CA cert" which I can't since it's their ldap servers. No one understands how certs or TLS work. They keep telling me "tell us what to do and we'll do it."

The answer is GIVE ME A CACERT. When this command works very time out of a hundred tests then just put that in the cert directory:

openssl s_client -CAFile /path/to/file.pem -connect ldap.lb.ct.com:389

It's currently blowing their minds, and so help me god I'm not going to explain to someone elses ldap team what TLS certs do at 830pm when a new Better Call Saul is on in twenty minutes.

Literally, explicitly tell them to hire someone who understands TLS certificates.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Bob Morales posted:

I think I have to sacrifice my phone reseller to please the Mitel gods

Randomly can't dial out
Randomly can't call in
Phantom calls

Someone must pay

Are your lines all full? What kind of PRI do you have? Is this a key system?

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

He made it sound like a frac T1 but that doesn’t make sense on incoming calls not ringing in.

angry armadillo
Jul 26, 2010

tactlessbastard posted:

While I was out, one of my employees told a second employee 'You look really nice. But you'd look even better with my cock in your mouth.'

Sigh.

eh, could be worse - here, someone got arrested because they whipped it out and flopped it on a desk during night shift.

allegedly

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Partycat posted:

He made it sound like a frac T1 but that doesn’t make sense on incoming calls not ringing in.

BVoIP/IPFlex whatever AT&T calls it, it's a fiber voice+data circuit presented to legacy systems as a PRI

12 call paths they were expecting 23 (we told them many many times)
Hasn't hosed up since they made the change

Originally we were informed by ATT that you were issued 23 channels for your phone service. After further inquiry with them they notified us that this was a mistake and that you were issued 12 channels. The impact is that the ShoreTel system was configured to employ 23 channels and it had to cycle through some blank channels before it discovered ones that worked to make outbound calls. This may be related to your issues where calls out could not be completed unless there was a reboot since the system is constantly going through these blank channels.

The issue with the main line was in relation to making the changes to resolve that first issue. We had to reconfigure the system to only employ 12 channels. Several reboots were required to get everything to communicate properly and now calls are moving back and forth properly.

At the moment things are looking normal but I would like to keep an eye on this system for a couple of days and see if the issue will happen again. I hope the details I provided are helpful.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

spog posted:

From the other side of the fence: I am so done with our despotic IT security team and their constantly changing phone security policies.

After finally dumping our unusable Lumias, we were finally equipped with Samsung Androids that actually worked. All have been great for about for about 8 months. Then, they started fiddling with things:

1- With no warning, disabled google location services: most of us use these phones for navigation. No explanation as to how google knowing where I am is a security risk

2- 1 week later, again no warning - deleted Chrome. 'use the company browser' - part of our job is reviewing how websites perfom on standard browsers.

3- Same update: deleted some 3rd party apps without warning (great for my colleagues who were using apps to record mileage, etc. all data gone) and locked down the ability to install anything not on the approved list.
Except, for most apps, they didn't delete the existing install, just new ones *and updates*. Thus, we have phones full of old versions of apps that cannot be updated to newer, bug-fixed, security-hole patched versions.
and as a bonus, the automatic updates will stall if *any* individual update is security policy blocked. So, the older the phone, the more unpatched version of said company-approved apps exist on it.

4-Reset Screen Timeout to '1 minute' - we have 16 digit, mixed case and symbol screen unlock passwords. Try to use a phone that locks the screen every minute, it's impossible

5- Final turd in the swimming pool: disabled syncing between company Outlook address book and the native Contact app. Now callerID doesn't work any more and I have no idea who is calling me.
The contact section in Outlook app is barely usable - try scrolling down your entire list of contacts to get to 'Zachary' as it doesn't even have 'ABC' sections.
Or he ability to create a new contact

Couple of victories!

Last week - with no announcement, Google Location Services were unblocked and I could start navigating.
Of course, since they didn't tell anyone, none of my colleagues knew that they could reenable it until I spoke to them over the water cooler. Oh, the look of joy on their faces!

With regards to the missing contact sync, I found the locked filing cabinet in a disused lavatory and inside it was an email address (from a domain that was nothing to do with our organisation). I sent a complaing email which was promptly ignored. 12 days later, I sent a chasing email and got a slightly snotty reply that this had been unblocked in the security update last week.
Again, they didn't tell anyone (including those with open tickets) or push out the process, but a nice man in our support dept sorted it out for me when I asked.

Pretty sweet!

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
The lady I was complaining about earlier? The one I thought was leaving for a new job at the end of next week? She's staying on! Is there a smile that is the opposite of :yotj:?

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

angry armadillo posted:

eh, could be worse - here, someone got arrested because they whipped it out and flopped it on a desk during night shift.

allegedly

I guess this is what happens when you take the kind of mouth breather that would catcall on a construction site and you put him in an office

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Steakandchips posted:

Literally, explicitly tell them to hire someone who understands TLS certificates.

So they hardcoded auth to the one server that has a still working cert, but that cert expires in Oct 2018, so there has to be a permanent solution by then. I'll just forget about this until Sept 30. All good.

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

Jerk McJerkface posted:

So they hardcoded auth to the one server that has a still working cert, but that cert expires in Oct 2018, so there has to be a permanent solution by then. I'll just forget about this until Sept 30. All good.

It's working, right. So why are you complaining?

Now, Jeff need some help with a project that is to be turned in tomorrow. You can't have any details, I can't tell you what it is, Jeff is currently on vacation and won't be back for another six weeks. I'm sure you can figure it out. I'll have the head of marketing give you the access that you need, I'm sure he'll do it as soon as he is in his office tomorrow afternoon.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

The Macaroni posted:

The lady I was complaining about earlier? The one I thought was leaving for a new job at the end of next week? She's staying on! Is there a smile that is the opposite of :yotj:?

:negative:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Today's rants:

82-year old owner has set up a monthly recurring meeting for 1 hour to talk IT! Alright!

My boss is done on Friday. Ugh. He's the only member of management that isn't a loving moron.

Trying to get an office in the southwest changed around. But we (IT) never set the cable/phone up in the first place. What a bitch to get this all moved over. Sure! I'm just some you've never heard from calling from another state who wants to change/cancel service at this location. But we have a great cowboy working out there who can get all this stuff up and running by himself. gently caress you Adam.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
Yeah, that.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

All I’m gonna say about that phone problem is if their poo poo presents 23 bearers as in service and or the PBX doesn’t understand ISDN enough to know they are not - throw that poo poo on the shitheap then . Equipment and provider .

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

2nd interview Thursday :dance:

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Bob Morales posted:

My dude.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
MY DUDE. Break a leg!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

quote:

Suppliers,
If you have already received this e-mail from your Walmart Sourcing Manager, and accepted one of the meeting planners, this e-mail can be ignored.

We are rolling out the OTIF scorecard in PULSE this week, and have 6 training sessions set up to cover the new additions.
Along with review some aspects of existing PULSE tools that will help you keep your OTIF scores up.

Many of you have been receiving a weekly OTIF score from your buyer.
But if not, the OTIF scorecard has been developed in PULSE so that all suppliers can access.
So that you can see how well you have reported and delivered the previous weeks orders to Walmart.

There are 6 total meetings, and you only need to attend one.

1. Please choose the best session for you.
2. This is intended for the person(s) that deal with the day to day PULSE data management.
Not necessarily looking for the IT person that manages the loading process.
But the person(s) that insure the data is correctly uploaded, and correct if issues arise.

Anyone care to guess who the only people from my company that went to the meeting? :haw:

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

Bob Morales posted:

Anyone care to guess who the only people from my company that went to the meeting? :haw:

The person(s) that insure the data is correctly uploaded, and correct if issues arise?

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
The owners kid who treated it like a vacation, bought a new MacBook for the event, showed up late and left early to go drinking?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

PBS posted:

The person(s) that insure the data is correctly uploaded, and correct if issues arise?

And their manager of course!

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Pissing me off:

A few weeks ago: received access to new environment to use for training and documentation purposes.

Over the course of a few weeks: Used it a bit, but key feature we needed documented was broken. Had to wait for new builds.

Today: Confirmed new build works, gonna document the whole process end to end. Uninstalled everything so we can start from scratch. Suddenly everyone's yelling. Apparently they re-purposed this environment for long-term testing, didn't tell me or my crew, and we interrupted something that had been running for two weeks.

And I guess it's my fault no one told me?

Ugh.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Did they give you access originally and say you would be the only ones using it? Cuz I’d check around first before blowing away an install on a shared environment even if I wasn’t told that anyone else was using it

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Levitate posted:

Did they give you access originally and say you would be the only ones using it? Cuz I’d check around first before blowing away an install on a shared environment even if I wasn’t told that anyone else was using it

Only ones using it? No.

We were, however, specifically told there was not important testing being done on this environment. We were asked not to make changes to the OS or other system-level changes, but applications were fair game. I blew away an application.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

90 minute interview

Passed the SQL and VBA 'tests'

Should hear something next week

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

My desktop has randomly restarted for about a month now. Today was the last straw when it a. failed to come up at all, until cords were switched around and b. shut down twice in 10 minutes. The desktop guy is swapping out the power supply right now, so hopefully it will be fixed.

stevewm
May 10, 2005
During my weekly check, I discovered our automatic propane powered generator wasn't working. It had errored out on its last weekly exercise test.

Our maintenance man discovered that the valve fitting that connects to the LPG tank had failed shut. A 50 cent part took it down. :mad:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Not pissing me off: A friend just signed his offer letter with my company! He starts week after next.

Not only looking forward to working with him again, but I get a nice fat bonus check after he finishes 90 days....so right before xmas :dance:

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

stevewm posted:

During my weekly check, I discovered our automatic propane powered generator wasn't working. It had errored out on its last weekly exercise test.

Our maintenance man discovered that the valve fitting that connects to the LPG tank had failed shut. A 50 cent part took it down. :mad:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MNS2dPfm0g&hd=1&t=195s

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Maigius posted:

My desktop has randomly restarted for about a month now. Today was the last straw when it a. failed to come up at all, until cords were switched around and b. shut down twice in 10 minutes. The desktop guy is swapping out the power supply right now, so hopefully it will be fixed.

I've had all sorts of odd issues with my workstation at home this summer, application crashes, hard locks etc etc. that had me stumped until I realized that this only happened under some serious load, then I remembered that the PSU was from 2008 and probably about due for a replacement :haw:

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015
Vendors

One of our sites is 100% static IP set at the network card for *reasons*

Vendor shows up to install new equipment without me being notified that they were coming. Vendor is told they should contact me to answer any questions about the network before proceeding. Vender sales type guys is all "no, I got this!"

He plugs into the network and *gasp* doesn't get an IP address. Starts yanking cables to try to "trace them back to the problem." Several hours later I'm finally called by one of the onsite managers because his email and internet aren't working, "could that be related to [Vendor] out here working on the network?"

:smithicide:

e: Now Vendor sales-type guy is swearing up and down that he didn't wipe the static IP configuration from one of the workstations. "It was that way when I got here!"

PremiumSupport fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Aug 30, 2018

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

PremiumSupport posted:

Vendors

One of our sites is 100% static IP set at the network card for *reasons*

Vendor shows up to install new equipment without me being notified that they were coming. Vendor is told they should contact me to answer any questions about the network before proceeding. Vender sales type guys is all "no, I got this!"

He plugs into the network and *gasp* doesn't get an IP address. Starts yanking cables to try to "trace them back to the problem." Several hours later I'm finally called by one of the onsite managers because his email and internet aren't working, "could that be related to [Vendor] out here working on the network?"

:smithicide:

e: Now Vendor sales-type guy is swearing up and down that he didn't wipe the static IP configuration from one of the workstations. "It was that way when I got here!"

So they are getting billed for making you do extra work right?

PremiumSupport
Aug 17, 2015

Zil posted:

So they are getting billed for making you do extra work right?

Ha!

As if.

I need a drink.

Zil
Jun 4, 2011

Satanically Summoned Citrus

PremiumSupport posted:

Ha!

As if.

I need a drink.

:beerpal: I feel ya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

stevewm posted:

Better that than the building going up like the Challenger :v:.