Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Phrosphor posted:

(:pgi: don't make a lot of IS lights and lower tonnage mediums because they don't sell nearly as well)

That's partly it, but there really aren't all that many 3025 BattleMechs and many of them step on one anothers' toes. It's one of the reasons why I always squint a little when people tell me 3025 is their favorite era of play: there are hardly any choices.

There are only 12 light 'Mechs in TRO 3025. We got 7 of them (it'll be 8 once they figure out the 3039 Raven, and could be 9 with the 3039 Wolfhound). Of the 'Mechs we didn't get only the Javelin is any good, and that's a light PGI did make and which could turn up later. The Wasp, Stinger, and Valkyrie are out for sure and the Ostscout is so niche the odds of it turning up are slim.

There are 19 medium 'Mechs in TRO 3025. We got 10 of them (11 with the LosTech Kintaro) and soon we'll have be 13 with the LosTech Crab and the 3039 Hatchetman. PGI has made the Assassin and Phoenix Hawk and is currently making the Vulcan so we could get those later. Of the Clint, Hermes II, Whitworth, and Dervish, the Clint would make a good cheap trash opponent. The Whitworth is a worse Trebuchet and the Dervish is a worse (or better?) Quickdraw (if you can believe that). The Scorpion we won't get because it's a quad and they've already said they're not doing quads. It's also a worse Griffin so that's no loss.

There are 14 heavy 'Mechs, we got 7 of them (8 with the LosTech Black Knight, 9 with the 3039 Cataphract). It would've been 9 but we're short the Marauder and Warhammer thanks to the lawsuit. We could still get the Archer and Rifleman since PGI has done models for all four, and the Ostroc, Ostsol, and Crusader are no big loss. The Ostroc and Ostsol would've made reasonable trash-level troopers but CGL is pretty content to let people forget the Ost-series exists and I don't blame them.

There are 10 Assault 'Mechs, we got 7 of them (9 with the LosTech Highlander and King Crab). We'll be getting the Cyclops soon, the Goliath's a quad so we won't get it, and the Charger's unlikely.

Odds of getting anything more from TRO 2750 are pretty low, since most of those are 'Mechs PGI hasn't made. Of those, only 5 of them are light 'Mechs anyway and only the Mongoose is any good.

The real "issue" in the vanilla game is forced scarcity. The Cataphract is a unicorn for timeline purposes, and when you start running into nothing but 75 tonners you'll see a dozen Orions between each Black Knight. For gameplay purposes limiting the 'Mechs that appear can lead to boredom because you're fighting the same enemies over and over, which is probably why the late game starts to feel less fun. There's probably a middle ground between making the unicorns scarce enough to feel special without making the player depressed every time they see an Orion because they've already got a bay full of them. Including more variants of the 'Mechs that have more variants (Locust, Jenner, Hunchback, Shadow Hawk, Banshee, etc) would probably help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Glenn Quebec posted:

I have 3 out of 5 Marauder parts and am taking riskier and riskier missions to find the parts.

Also: is there a way to change setting mid campaign? I kind of want to set the enemy opposition strength to hard.

Well there is a setting within the in-game menu at the bottom that gets you back to game modifiers. Several options are toggle-able. I can’t guarantee a mod will respect it but that’s kind of to be expected

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I just started RogueTech. Its worth specializing at least one Mech for EWAR and one pilot/mech for melee, right? Are there any skills that complement EWAR? And anything in particular favor getting the main character involved with?

e: And I can't seem to slot the MC into a Mech for some reason. Or rather, the UI bugs out when trying to drop with 4 on the starting mission. Seems like its related to the mechs with quirks like the PNT-9L I tried, which when I tried to slot it in, vanished from my list of mechs in the "all" category, but is available when I select for light mechs only.

It remembered that I'd used the PNT-9L on one character, even though it looked like I still needed a mech in that slot. I could drop and it works fine on the battle map, but not on the drop screen. Weird.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Aug 30, 2018

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Save and load your game for the MC issue. It's known to do that w/ most mods.

deathbagel
Jun 10, 2008

PoptartsNinja posted:

That's partly it, but there really aren't all that many 3025 BattleMechs and many of them step on one anothers' toes. It's one of the reasons why I always squint a little when people tell me 3025 is their favorite era of play: there are hardly any choices.

There are only 12 light 'Mechs in TRO 3025. We got 7 of them (it'll be 8 once they figure out the 3039 Raven, and could be 9 with the 3039 Wolfhound). Of the 'Mechs we didn't get only the Javelin is any good, and that's a light PGI did make and which could turn up later. The Wasp, Stinger, and Valkyrie are out for sure and the Ostscout is so niche the odds of it turning up are slim.

There are 19 medium 'Mechs in TRO 3025. We got 10 of them (11 with the LosTech Kintaro) and soon we'll have be 13 with the LosTech Crab and the 3039 Hatchetman. PGI has made the Assassin and Phoenix Hawk and is currently making the Vulcan so we could get those later. Of the Clint, Hermes II, Whitworth, and Dervish, the Clint would make a good cheap trash opponent. The Whitworth is a worse Trebuchet and the Dervish is a worse (or better?) Quickdraw (if you can believe that). The Scorpion we won't get because it's a quad and they've already said they're not doing quads. It's also a worse Griffin so that's no loss.

There are 14 heavy 'Mechs, we got 7 of them (8 with the LosTech Black Knight, 9 with the 3039 Cataphract). It would've been 9 but we're short the Marauder and Warhammer thanks to the lawsuit. We could still get the Archer and Rifleman since PGI has done models for all four, and the Ostroc, Ostsol, and Crusader are no big loss. The Ostroc and Ostsol would've made reasonable trash-level troopers but CGL is pretty content to let people forget the Ost-series exists and I don't blame them.

There are 10 Assault 'Mechs, we got 7 of them (9 with the LosTech Highlander and King Crab). We'll be getting the Cyclops soon, the Goliath's a quad so we won't get it, and the Charger's unlikely.

Odds of getting anything more from TRO 2750 are pretty low, since most of those are 'Mechs PGI hasn't made. Of those, only 5 of them are light 'Mechs anyway and only the Mongoose is any good.

The real "issue" in the vanilla game is forced scarcity. The Cataphract is a unicorn for timeline purposes, and when you start running into nothing but 75 tonners you'll see a dozen Orions between each Black Knight. For gameplay purposes limiting the 'Mechs that appear can lead to boredom because you're fighting the same enemies over and over, which is probably why the late game starts to feel less fun. There's probably a middle ground between making the unicorns scarce enough to feel special without making the player depressed every time they see an Orion because they've already got a bay full of them. Including more variants of the 'Mechs that have more variants (Locust, Jenner, Hunchback, Shadow Hawk, Banshee, etc) would probably help.

I think that's one of the main reasons Roguetech brought me back. There are so many more mechs and every battle is like a new puzzle, especially when you add in the clan mechs (which are very tough to fight against.) It also gives me a lot to look forward to, I can't wait until I finally get a 100 ton clan mech completely kitted out with clan tech! It'll be super OP and probably make the rest of the game super easy, but it's a nice goal to have and with the difficulty curve in Roguetech, I'm sure it will take me a long time to get there.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I really like RogueTech's changes, and if it were possible I'd totally love a mod that gave more XCOM-esque skills and debuffs:

Panfilo's Pilot Skill Overhaul Concept
Inspired clears the cooldowns of all active abilities, while Panicked puts active abilities on cooldown and removes passive abilities that round. A pilot may have up to 4 active and 4 passive skills, with some abilities increasing this threshold further. At each tier you pick 1 out of 2:

Gunnery- Each point improves base accuracy, every even numbered point also adds a bit of range and every odd numbered point adds a bit of damage ignored by cover. At 4,6,8, and 10 points, you can also choose 1 of two skills:
Multi-Tasker: Essentially Multi-shot but also allows a few other abilities to be split up. Each additional target may be melee attacked (significant accuracy penalty) and/or have other active abilities used. 3 turn cooldown.
Zero In: Bracing gives you an accuracy bonus next turn vs any enemies visible this round. Passive ability.

Steady Aim: Reduces modifiers for walk/run/jump if you moved more than 5 hexes this round. Passive ability
Controlled Bursts: Autocannon weapons get +1 base accuracy, -1 recoil and +15% stability damage but all nonballistic weapons get -1 accuracy. Passive ability.

Fish in a Barrel: Called Shot ability on a target that didn't move this round, bonus vs prone and shutdown mechs. 3 turn cooldown.
Laser focused: Energy weapons get +1 base accuracy, -5% heat, but all non energy weapons get -1 accuracy and +1 recoil.

Trigger Discipline: Ballistic weapons with a hit chance of 24% or less do not expend ammo or heat when they miss. 3 turn cooldown.
Warlord: +10% base damage, +33% wider field of fire, and +15% additional crit chance on all weapons.

Piloting- Each point improves melee and DFA accuracy, even numbered points increase walk speed by a percentage, and odd numbered points increase sprint and jump speed by a percentage.
Light footed: Mechs weighing 45 tons or less ignore terrain modifiers when walking. Passive ability.
Sure footed: Mechs weighing 50 tons or more ignore stability modifiers from terrain when walking. Passive ability.

Optimized Neural Interface: Ignore the first failed piloting roll this round, 2 turn cooldown.
Roll It Out: Suffer 25% reduced damage and stability from enemy melee, and 50% reduced damage and stability from falls, jumping, and missed melee attacks. Passive ability.

Juke: During this round you may move through friendly and enemy mechs when moving past them, so long as you end your movement in a hex that is not currently occupied. 1 turn cooldown.
Momentum: +20% additional sprint speed and +1 evasion pip if you sprinted the previous turn, but all shooting counts as sprinting if you sprinted the previous turn. Passive ability.

Ace Pilot: After shooting you may use the rest of your unused walk distance (allowing you to move-shoot-move when applicable). 3 turn cooldown.
Greased Lightning: When moving 5 or more hexes, the first melee attack against this mech always misses, and the mech's evasion pips cannot be ignored or reduced. Passive ability.

Guts- Each point improves morale,heat threshold, lowered chance of shutdown/ammo explosion, and melee damage. Every 4 points gives +1 Health.
King of the Battlefield: +1 accuracy and +15% damage vs vehicles and turrets.
Point Blank Fire: Ranged attacks made 1 hex from the target get bonus crit chance, support weapons do +15% damage and stability damage, but all other weapons suffer a greater modifier for firing in 'long' range.

Hotheaded: Spend 50% of your current morale points to increase max heat by a proportionate amount.1 turn cooldown.
Iceman: Moderately resist negative morale effects when your mech is not currently overheating. Passive ability.

Juggernaut: Ignore pilot damage from torso loss or ammo explosions, movement restrictions from destroyed legs/jump jets, and reduce initiative of melee target by 1 this round. 3 turn cooldown.
Pushing the Envelope: Sprinting and firing all your weapons (or melee/DFA) when overheating gives bonus morale and stability. Passive ability.

Berserker: Improved Melee/DFA accuracy and damage, brace after Melee/DFA, but also easier to get hit in Melee and suffer additional stability from enemy melee attacks. 3 turn cooldown.
Intimidator: Enemies hit from behind, head shot, Melee, DFA, or at ranges beyond 800 meters suffer much more morale loss. Passive ability.

Tactics- Each point reduces minimum range, indirect fire penalty, vision and radar range, and every 5 points improves called shot accuracy.
Outflank: Widens the areas on a target mech that count as side and rear hits for 1 round. 2 round cooldown.
Tactical Expertise: When Reserving, get reduced chance to receive crits, bonus heat reduction, reduced recoil penalty (minimum 1) and bonus leadership. Stacks up to 3 times in a round. Passive ability.

Forward Observer: Increases vision by a small amount and radar by a large amount, inversely proportional to your tonnage. 1 turn cooldown.
Firebase: Missile weapons have improved clustering, accuracy, and reduced indirect fire penalty if you haven't moved this round, but all other weapons get -1 accuracy if you move and shoot. Passive ability.

Tactical Genius: This mech's first weapon fired this battle counts as hitting the rear arc of the target. Passive ability, once per battle.
Lateral thinking: Debuff effects on targets persist for 1 additional round, and can stack their effect with other mechs that do not have this ability. Passive ability.

Seize the Initiative: This pilot may take an additional active and passive ability, and this passive does not count against your total.
Three moves ahead: All your active abilities have their cooldown reduced by 1 (minimum 1) and all abilities that consume morale consume 50% of it. Passive ability.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Actually, yeah, I feel massively overwhelmed by all of Roguetech's changes to both skills and mechs. Any decent rundown on places to get started?

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Ravenfood posted:

Actually, yeah, I feel massively overwhelmed by all of Roguetech's changes to both skills and mechs. Any decent rundown on places to get started?

Go to the nexus site, as there are articles about all the changes and additions. There's also a wiki, but it barely has any information on it.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Panfilo posted:

A big complaint early on is how accuracy is worse in Roguetech. This is due to a number of factors. In the stock game, the AI actually holds your hand in a lot of ways since many players get very frustrated at RNG elements in games (look at all the screaming and crying about 'rigged' hits and misses in XCOM games, for example). So by default the game would actually give you a boost if you missed a lot to help 'break' streaks, and I think it also tended to round up in the player's favor in terms of hits.

I believe the streakbreaker code was confirmed to exist but not be active (so it's not doing that) and the to-hit display wasn't exactly accurate but it wasn't in the player's favor because it applied equally

Ravenfood posted:

not starting on it :hot takes:

for real though, it may be better to pick and choose some mods yourself to get a new and different experience that isn't RT. it is not the only option out there, after all

Psion fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Aug 30, 2018

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Here, I got some screenshots of the weirdness that happens when you have weapons mounted in places there weren't initially model hardpoints for:

This King Crab has an AC/5 mounted in one of the torsos, which apparently manifests itself as a train-like smokestack above the mech's head, pointing upward.

A blurry image, but this is a Black Knight with a head mounted 'Fire Breath' weapon unique to RogueTech (head mounted Flamer+Heat Exchanger). Even though the Black Knight has an energy hardpoint in the head, it definitely didn't know what to make of this weapon and so had it pointing straight up a considerable distance separated from the mech itself, as if walking around with a big metal exclamation point.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Panfilo posted:

Here, I got some screenshots of the weirdness that happens when you have weapons mounted in places there weren't initially model hardpoints for:

This King Crab has an AC/5 mounted in one of the torsos, which apparently manifests itself as a train-like smokestack above the mech's head, pointing upward.

A blurry image, but this is a Black Knight with a head mounted 'Fire Breath' weapon unique to RogueTech (head mounted Flamer+Heat Exchanger). Even though the Black Knight has an energy hardpoint in the head, it definitely didn't know what to make of this weapon and so had it pointing straight up a considerable distance separated from the mech itself, as if walking around with a big metal exclamation point.

It's like it's always alarmed.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I should've taken better screenshots, because the Black Knight's flamer is a pretty impressive distance over its head.

There may have been other bugged models that had the same effect in their arms. It's like the engine says 'gently caress it' and just slaps the cannon pointing straight up.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

Well there is a setting within the in-game menu at the bottom that gets you back to game modifiers. Several options are toggle-able. I can’t guarantee a mod will respect it but that’s kind of to be expected

To expand on this:
from this menu:

you can get to:

Which I believe is the setting you were looking for

On a completely different topic:
I'm now past Served Cold, on 1.3, and lost Glitch due to the AI being very aggressive and going after her even while running. I probs should have just ejected but I got greedy. As I said before the game is far more aggressive now, this is a good thing. I used Coolant Flush with no Med Bay upgrades and the pilot was out for 20 days. Is that what people are complaining about? Do those people not have backup pilots? I generally double up on all skill combos from random injuries or straight up death due to headshots. CV did allow me to go hog wild and finish off a mech then start on another which never would have happened in 1.1. The legit argument I can see against it is that heat is a central concept in BT and allowing full heat wipes now means when clans get introduced they'll be even harder to balance

Overall I'm ok with the changes. Bulkwark + Ace Pilot means you can jump into a forest and Guard then take several hits as point person then take your shots and bounce next turn. This is true now but even more so with the stacking. I did notice that sensor impairment stacked past 3 which is a cool addition and makes sense

I R SMART LIKE ROCK fucked around with this message at 01:59 on Aug 31, 2018

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Panfilo posted:

It's like the engine says 'gently caress it' and just slaps the cannon pointing straight up.

Now I want to be able to call in Long Tom strikes.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Panfilo posted:

I should've taken better screenshots, because the Black Knight's flamer is a pretty impressive distance over its head.

There may have been other bugged models that had the same effect in their arms. It's like the engine says 'gently caress it' and just slaps the cannon pointing straight up.

Wonder if this is fixable or if it needs model editing via Unity?

Plek
Jul 30, 2009

Dandywalken posted:

Wonder if this is fixable or if it needs model editing via Unity?

It sounds like the engine is looking for a position/vector info to determine where the gun goes but it is missing and so just sets it in the default 0,0,1 or something. roguetech (and other mods) resize the mechs so that could be why its floating, but it could also be because all the mechs share the same model-box-thing space and that's just where the default position is. I don't really know because I haven't even tried to look at any of it.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
RogueTech cockpits : RogueTech now makes cockpits actual pieces of equipment that weigh 3 tons (generally already factored into the mech's weight, like its gyro). Instead of there being 1 critical slot in the head there's 4,with the cockpit itself occupying 3 slots. Other cockpits can be swapped in, generally for no net change in weight. There's a pretty good variety of them, and most are a straight upgrade. In addition to crits, ejecting will destroy the cockpit (and the entire head, along with any other equipment in it. Pretty aggravating when your pilot panics and does this!). Cockpits that boost your HP display the pips as a different color now, and any of this damage has zero effect on both the pilot and the mech. Guts, better Gyros, and a good cockpit can pretty much ensure your pilot won't die from repeated falls.

Standard: The standard 3 ton cockpit. You have to buy/salvage these. You'll rarely run out, however if playing on harder difficulties, frequent ejections can deplete your stockpile of them.

Primitive: Weighs 5 tons and has worse sensors. Pretty much vendor trash and not even good vendor trash (300 C bills, not even beer money).

Small: 1 ton and 1 crit space lighter, but gives - 1 accuracy and hurts the pilot on overheat shutdowns. Outside of a very light mech the weight saving is negligible for the downsides. The main use is to free up a crit slot for the Death Stare, a Large pulse laser and TAG rolled into one that can only be mounted in the head. Normally this equipment is too big to fit in the head outside of this or a torso mounted cockpit.

Torso mounted: This puts the cockpit in the center torso, and I think center torso hits don't hurt the pilot. However it weighs 4 tons, has the same drawbacks as a Small Cockpit, and you can't eject. All for the dubious benefit of freeing up all the head crit slots for other equipment. This can also be done in order to mount a Death Stare or on Legendary mechs you can use the extra hardpoints to mount weapons (or ammo!) in a very secure location.

Spiked: Gives +1 HP and +5% melee damage. Excellent for a dedicated Brawler, and Metal as gently caress.

Direct Neural Interface:Improves melee and Death From Above accuracy and damage,as well as 10% damage reduction and +1 evasion pip. Another good pick for a melee specialist. Jumping on mechs is kind of dicey, but this+talons+leg mods can stack things in your favor to stomp your way to victory.

SLIC: Provides a grab bag of perks, like +1 HP, better vision radius, and +1 morale. Along with DNI cockpit this is one of the better ones because there's no downside whatsoever (aside from being kind of rare and destroyed upon ejecting)

Targeting Computer: Improves accuracy of all weapons by 1 and gives Breaching Shot. Useful on a mech with a Gauss Rifle, AC/20 or other single hard hitting weapon. Multi shot is great with this, having a single shot for 3 separate targets when using an Awesome for example.

Command: Weighs six tons, takes up all your crit slots, but gives recoil reduction, a bonus to indirect fire, accuracy bonuses to all weapons, +3(!) hit points, better morale, and +1 Initiative. The only downside you are facing is the fact that it's eating up 3 actual tons, the empty crit slot and can only be mounted in heavy or assault mechs. In spite of that, the perks are incredibly good; there are few pieces of equipment that boost indirect fire, and since Tactical Mastery doesn't boost initiative anymore it is one of the few ways to improve the base initiative. Some chassis (I'm assuming Battlemaster, which was traditionally a command mech) also give +1 Initiative as a perk and I'm not sure if they stack. If they do, it is an incredibly strong combo to have a tactics focused pilot in a command Battlemaster.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Plek posted:

It sounds like the engine is looking for a position/vector info to determine where the gun goes but it is missing and so just sets it in the default 0,0,1 or something. roguetech (and other mods) resize the mechs so that could be why its floating, but it could also be because all the mechs share the same model-box-thing space and that's just where the default position is. I don't really know because I haven't even tried to look at any of it.
RogueTech does resize some mechs; battle armor is a tiny Griffon, Crab is a smaller King Crab model, and Mackie is a hilariously gigantic.

And Tyler Too! posted:

Now I want to be able to call in Long Tom strikes.

It's in the code but not moddable. A simpler option is to add Arrow IV to RogueTech by making it a single super inaccurate missile that pretty much requires TAG and uses AC/20 ammo (has the same shots per ton)

The main problem is balance. Doing a base defense mission where enemies are leveling the base from across the map before you can get to them won't be very fun. There's several mech and Vehicle variants that have Arrow IV, including the Urbanmech (surprisingly one of the more cost effective platforms for it) so it won't be super rare either. In the players hands it wouldn't be bad since it's a pretty specialized weapon and extremely heavy, but the fact that the AI could be fielding several of them among 10 mechs of comparable weight will be too aggravating for something that can be lobbed across the map.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
In contrast, the longest possible weapon currently I believe is a Light Gauss rifle (~900m max range I think) with a Sharpshooter pilot (+15% max range) and Light Gauss ammo (+40% range) will reach out to about 1400m but it is direct fire and for the meager damage it'll do you're better off with a pair of +++AC/2.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
So I'm a grand total of 4 rogue tech missions in and they've all been difficult but genuinely fun!

What I've learned so far is:

Start with the max amount of money in a custom campaign because goddamn poo poo is expensive and this way you can afford an Argo upgrade or two.

As lovely as big weapons with low accuracy are you probs don't want to refit all your mechs at every opportunity with crummy repair times.

You want to minimize the amount of enemies you're facing at once and concentrate them down as much as possible. Taking damage is brutal when nearly every internal hit is going to blow up one critical system or another that's difficult to replace. Careful positioning is key here.

The butcher melee mech is ridiculously good and easily equal to my Vidicator, Blackjack, and Commando combined.

Permanent evasion means you can actually get away with a fair amount of bad positioning so long as you're moving but RNG is gonna bite you sooner or later.

Melee is pretty much essential to deal with lights with 4 pips of evasion and 30% hit rates on your weapons. Knock them unsteady and then knock them dead.

I took the butcher custom mech which is melee focused and it's great for the above reasons, but I also don't know poo poo about the other mechs! Anyone have any insights?

Proooooobs bump up the salvage or C-bill rate at first since I'm finding it very difficult to actually make money. I can see how failure spirals can happen very easily. I figure this gets easier later and you can turn it back down :shrug:

There's lots of incredibly cool pieces of equipment that I cannot find the tonnage to fit to save my life.

The new persistent online war map where everyone's contributions affect every Roguetech player looks incredibly loving cool. I kept it turned off for now but goddamn that's a hell of an achievement.

Edit: taking two medium lasers off my blackjack not only frees two tons but also makes it effectively heat neutral and has low key been one of my better decisions. AC/2s and two mlasers still isn't an amazing combination but it'll be good until I can afford something better.

The PPC on the vindicator has been surprisingly not awful for me but I'm still likely going to rip it off for a pulse laser or two.

Go max salvage on your first few half skull missions to get a stable of the most basic items you need at the cost of like, 100k c-bills

The Iron Rose fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Aug 31, 2018

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Put your weak-willed panicky pilots in torso cockpits so they can't gently caress up missions by panic-ejecting.

It's kinda like putting blinkers on a skittish racehorse.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

The Iron Rose posted:

So I'm a grand total of 4 rogue tech missions in and they've all been difficult but genuinely fun!

What I've learned so far is:

Start with the max amount of money in a custom campaign because goddamn poo poo is expensive and this way you can afford an Argo upgrade or two.

As lovely as big weapons with low accuracy are you probs don't want to refit all your mechs at every opportunity with crummy repair times.

You want to minimize the amount of enemies you're facing at once and concentrate them down as much as possible. Taking damage is brutal when nearly every internal hit is going to blow up one critical system or another that's difficult to replace. Careful positioning is key here.

The butcher melee mech is ridiculously good and easily equal to my Vidicator, Blackjack, and Commando combined.

Permanent evasion means you can actually get away with a fair amount of bad positioning so long as you're moving but RNG is gonna bite you sooner or later.

Melee is pretty much essential to deal with lights with 4 pips of evasion and 30% hit rates on your weapons. Knock them unsteady and then knock them dead.

I took the butcher custom mech which is melee focused and it's great for the above reasons, but I also don't know poo poo about the other mechs! Anyone have any insights?

Proooooobs bump up the salvage or C-bill rate at first since I'm finding it very difficult to actually make money. I can see how failure spirals can happen very easily. I figure this gets easier later and you can turn it back down :shrug:

There's lots of incredibly cool pieces of equipment that I cannot find the tonnage to fit to save my life.

The new persistent online war map where everyone's contributions affect every Roguetech player looks incredibly loving cool. I kept it turned off for now but goddamn that's a hell of an achievement.

Edit: taking two medium lasers off my blackjack not only frees two tons but also makes it effectively heat neutral and has low key been one of my better decisions. AC/2s and two mlasers still isn't an amazing combination but it'll be good until I can afford something better.

The PPC on the vindicator has been surprisingly not awful for me but I'm still likely going to rip it off for a pulse laser or two.

Go max salvage on your first few half skull missions to get a stable of the most basic items you need at the cost of like, 100k c-bills
I would recommend novice players disable armor repair costs on install because it becomes really onerous when the tiniest damage costs you money and time. The only bright spot is a tier 2/3 mech bay repairs 2/3 mechs at a time which helps a lot. No shame in making cash rewards more forgiving; as the loading screen says, "playing Ironman RogueTech is like wearing sunglasses at midnight". PPCs get more useful as your equipment gets better. A heat neutral mech with a targeting computer, PPC and PPC capacitor is very good. Pirate PPZ gives a massive debuff if it hits too.

Jabor posted:

Put your weak-willed panicky pilots in torso cockpits so they can't gently caress up missions by panic-ejecting.

It's kinda like putting blinkers on a skittish racehorse.

I haven't found this to be much of a problem outside very early game. The only inconvenient time it happened was when I had a Black Knight desperately charging a Shinigami and a bad hit caused him to punch out before he could get into melee. Other than that I had far more enemies panic instead of my own. An easy way to get rare mechs is to do assassination missions and save the target for last. The target tends to have a much better mech and the last surviving mech is significantly more likely to panic and eject. Flank shots, knockdowns, and lots of heat weapons also really boost your chances.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
I somehow started with a Vindicator with an XXL engine and a ton of special armor/internals and so far it's a massive beast. I can see it coming back to bite me later on since I took a through-armor critical to the engine and whoooooo boy that was expensive and once weapons get stronger I can see that thing going up in flames really quick. Until then though, it's really helping me clean up.

I'm starting to think that the best skill set for a melee in roguetech is guts2/tactics1 instead of guts2/pilot1 like I'd thought at first. That reduction in critical hits seems really nice.

E: I wish I could reserve parts. I recovered two pieces of a Butcher but because I had 3 pieces of a Vindicator already I got the Vindicator instead of being able to wait for a Butcher. Oh well. Also, it feels like basically every one should get a TAG just because it costs all of 1 ton and that's about it.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Aug 31, 2018

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Also, on most mechs Endo Steel is a really good deal; it chews up a lot of space but there's zero tactical risk (crits to it just cost money to repair or replace it). Getting 5% of a mechs tonnage doesn't sound like much but it really does add up, particularly on lighter mechs that will spend far more of that on a faster engine, not necessarily more guns. There's a 'mid grade' version that refunds half the tonnage but only occupies half as many crits, this isn't as useful outside of an assault that is desperate for a few more tons somewhere. Endo Composite is risky since instead of crit slots it just reduces your internal structure HP by half. Conversely there's Reinforced Structure which weighs more but gives more internal HP, this isn't as great as it sounds since other crits will kill you long before you get cored. It's probably best in XL engine mechs that will instantly die if they lose a side torso and are very vulnerable to flanking shots.

Ferro Fibrous doesn't save you near as much weight even when you max out your armor for the chassis. And since it also uses up 14 crits doesn't give you much net benefit. This is better on an extremely lean build that will probably only have a few energy weapons but manage to be both fast and well protected. The midgrade is similarly dubious in benefit, giving you mayyybe another half or full ton in exchange for all the reduced space. But as mentioned previously, Reinforced Armor is worth the downsides- a 20% reduction in speed/stability and increased repair cost is manageable when you are slapping 2x more armor on every location, safeguarding against decapitation and protecting arm mounted weapons more. Through armor crits do detract from this, but many chassis lack hardpoints on one side (many mechs appear primarily 'left' or 'right' handed) and by facing your empty side to the enemy you can be a great damage sponge. Enemies with this armor are a huge pain to disable and you basically have to knock them down repeatedly to brain the pilot since you'll die from sheer attrition before you core them.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Ravenfood posted:

I somehow started with a Vindicator with an XXL engine and a ton of special armor/internals and so far it's a massive beast. I can see it coming back to bite me later on since I took a through-armor critical to the engine and whoooooo boy that was expensive and once weapons get stronger I can see that thing going up in flames really quick. Until then though, it's really helping me clean up.

I'm starting to think that the best skill set for a melee in roguetech is guts2/tactics1 instead of guts2/pilot1 like I'd thought at first. That reduction in critical hits seems really nice.

E: I wish I could reserve parts. I recovered two pieces of a Butcher but because I had 3 pieces of a Vindicator already I got the Vindicator instead of being able to wait for a Butcher. Oh well. Also, it feels like basically every one should get a TAG just because it costs all of 1 ton and that's about it.
XXL engines are super risky early game, but you work with what you have. You get an enormous discount on engine weight in exchange for suffering engine hits when so much as a pebble dinks off your hull. If you want to use them later, here's a few things to consider: since they are so crit prone, invest the saved tonnage into a higher rated engine. Ironically even though heavier mechs get the biggest benefit this isn't the best way to go about it. Sure you can have a glass cannon but since you're nearly always outnumbered and 1 or 2 evasion pips isn't going to get a heavier mech ignoring all the return fire your way even a max armored atlas will cave in pretty easily. Each engine hit generates +15 heat a turn so don't count on some heat neutral energy build keeping you from frying after a few bad crits.

Rather, use the XXL on a medium to light mech, to cram the biggest monster of an engine you have, and boost it further with a supercharger, MASC, or jump Jets. Since Jump jet hardpoints are based on base walk speed, a big engine potentially lets you jump obscenely far. In addition, sprinting gives a fixed penalty to hit targets, but the further you can sprint the harder you are to get hit which makes it a good tradeoff.

TAG is one of the best pieces of equipment in the game, no mistake. Not only is it only 1 ton, it is a support weapon which means a medium mech kitted to be a melee monster can put it to good use. Later on you can minmax your melee guy to instantly knock down any mech his weight class or smaller, and if he tagged them on the way down your lance mates will make short work of the carcass. Note also it does 1 damage but hitting the head means the pilot suffers a hit (I've killed an enemy pilot this way, possibly the lamest way to die in the 31st century) Look out for TAGGER which is 1.5 tons but better range, 8 damage, and stacks with TAG.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
One challenging thing about RogueTech is that a lot of the weapons that used to work in melee don't anymore. While it kind of makes sense to put them back in their respective categories so you aren't stupidly hamstrung by hardpoint type, it also means these weapons have far more limited of a utility. Machine Guns, Flamers, Small Lasers, and other very short-ranged weapons have rather situational uses, more so than in the stock game. Nonetheless, they have their uses, and here's some tips to get the most out of them.

-Generally if you're close enough to use these weapons, you're close enough to melee the enemy, and more often than not that is a better choice in terms of raw damage, stability effects, and heat economy. But this isn't always the case. RogueTech allows you to customize and specialize to an amazing degree, and you can actually sacrifice melee effecitiveness to be more accurate at shooting. Many mechs only have upper arm actuators, making them suboptimal at melee. To balance the effectiveness of melee, much of the equipment isn't terribly light for what it does- most support weapons weigh 3-4 tons, pretty much the same as an SRM6, while dedicated short range weapons are far lighter. For these weapons, the restriction tends not to be on weight or space, but on hardpoints. But since Legendary mechs give you a lot of them (2 or 3 of each weapon hardpoint on every location) it means you can take a lot of these weapons.

-If you have a mech equipped with Jump Jets, you can't jump and melee in the same turn, instead you have the option of Death From Above. While impressive, it is also pretty risky, and unless you really specialize for it you're probably not going to risk the leg damage and falling to do it more than once unless you're desperate. Jumping is also great for getting into the enemy's rear arc, and you are more likely to hop into perfect range to use those smaller weapons. Interestingly, 'melee' weapons actually have a very short range, so chain saws and plasma cutters are also still able to fire at these ranges usually. There's no big melee hit to go with it, but on a mech not specialized for melee this isn't nearly as much of a loss.

A breakdown of short range weapons in RogueTech and how to get them to work effectively:
Small laser family: Energy weapons that are scaled-down counterparts to medium lasers. While medium lasers are extremely balanced for what you get, small lasers are still decent too, in fact they are potentially the longest ranged weapons in their weight class. While regular Small Lasers are kind of vanilla now that there are other variants, they still have the advantage of +++ bonuses, and any smidge of accuracy or damage helps. The best deal about them though is that they are only half a ton, making it a nice little addition to fill out leftover weight. Since they fire cooler than heavier lasers its easier to fire enough weapons to get just at the threshold of overheat without going over the redline. Small Pulse lasers weigh 1 ton and fire hotter, but they also do more damage and most importantly get bonus accuracy and evasion ignore. The accuracy is good on a weapon that will often be at the edge of its effective range. ER lasers give you amazing range for their weight, and having pairs of them backing up heavier weapons will generally see plenty of use in battle. Finally Pirate Small Lasers are the equivalent of 3x small lasers crammed into one hardpoint, doing variable damage. I don't find it terribly useful though, since if you only have 1 energy hardpoint left you might as well put in a medium laser or pulse laser for the weight.

Machine Guns: Regular Machine Guns were kind of hurt by no longer firing in melee. They also require ammo, which is kind of a liability. Light Machine Guns do even less damage, and don't feel terribly useful, but Heavy Machine Guns are decent for what you get. Pirate HMG is actually a fairly good pirate weapon, having better range than a stock HMG and doing a salvo of 10 shots each doing 1-7 damage (compare to a stock SRM4 which will do 8-32 damage, not too shabby). Machine Guns also get a few special ammo types in Roguetech; Half Ton lots basically gives half the ammo for half the weight, and is still adequate for multiple machine guns to feed from. Tracer ammo gives Machine Guns +1 accuracy, and 1 ton of Tracer ammo will apply the benefit to all your MGs and ammo. The added accuracy is good on such a short ranged weapon and definitely should be taken if you have a mech with lots of MGs.

Flamers: Now that there are other support weapons that generate heat, Flamers are also in a weird spot. However, heat generating weapons are actually better in RogueTech since its easier to force a shutdown, and you can get lucky and trigger an ammo explosion or panic ejection. Flamers will work best in Martian or Lunar biomes where the AI will really struggle with heat management. Keep an eye out for mech variants that are prone to running suicidally hot as well; a stock arsenal that consists of heavy energy weapons and a small missile rack is an ammo explosion waiting to happen. Regular Flamers are now simply a 1 ton energy weapon that does some damage and heat (note that heat applied effects just translate to regular damage vs non mech targets, so they aren't useless if you are up against a lot of tanks). Vehicle flamers are more similar to how they were in the stock game, in that while they are an energy weapon they have a finite amount of shots built into the weapon, but don't generate as much heat for the shooter as regular flamers. The pirate flamer gets added range as well.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
basically all of this sounds intimidating as hell but it really only takes one-two matches before you start getting the hang of it.

wait a day to get all your bonus equipment from your character start, maybe make some minor customizations but otherwise start going wild

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Don't pick periphery as your background, you get lovely pirate stuff as your starting equipment, vs one of the Great Houses which actually gives decent stuff to work with.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I'm still working my way through this thread (only got the game in the Paradox sale a couple of weeks ago) so I don't know if it's been posted, but there is a way to run this game in borderless window mode:

1. Change the game settings to windowed, exit
2. Set launch options to -popupwindow, if you have multiple monitors add -adapter N where N is the number if your monitor (zero-indexed)

I am absolutely loving all the lore and mini-events that crop up during my travels:

Also put me down on the "lost Dekker in the first mission" crew

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
When you build the arcade, there's an event where your mechwarriors are literally playing the game you are playing, with the Commander judging their decisions in their own game accordingly.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Panfilo posted:

When you build the arcade, there's an event where your mechwarriors are literally playing the game you are playing, with the Commander judging their decisions in their own game accordingly.

Dekker's the guy with the high score but is also the guy who spent $20 in quarters to get there.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Wait until you get the event where one of your pilots requests a B-4 Eleven-hundred N mounted on their 'Mech. They claim it's a critical piece of hardware that improves a Battlemechs stability.

One of the options is to demand one as well.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Panfilo posted:

Also, on most mechs Endo Steel is a really good deal; it chews up a lot of space but there's zero tactical risk (crits to it just cost money to repair or replace it). Getting 5% of a mechs tonnage doesn't sound like much but it really does add up, particularly on lighter mechs that will spend far more of that on a faster engine, not necessarily more guns. There's a 'mid grade' version that refunds half the tonnage but only occupies half as many crits, this isn't as useful outside of an assault that is desperate for a few more tons somewhere. Endo Composite is risky since instead of crit slots it just reduces your internal structure HP by half. Conversely there's Reinforced Structure which weighs more but gives more internal HP, this isn't as great as it sounds since other crits will kill you long before you get cored. It's probably best in XL engine mechs that will instantly die if they lose a side torso and are very vulnerable to flanking shots.
Did they change Endo-Composite? Right now I have that it just takes up slots in return for decreasing internal weight. If its costing me internal health on top of that, no wonder my XL Vindicator is starting to take a lot of repair time.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
Is there a gallery somewhere where I can find the art from MWO redesigns? I really like the style and I want to see the stuff that didn't make it/won't be put in the game. The sarna.net wiki is inconsistent.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

Paingod556 posted:

Wait until you get the event where one of your pilots requests a B-4 Eleven-hundred N mounted on their 'Mech. They claim it's a critical piece of hardware that improves a Battlemechs stability.

Wouldn't it also increase jump jet performance?

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!

Azran posted:

Is there a gallery somewhere where I can find the art from MWO redesigns? I really like the style and I want to see the stuff that didn't make it/won't be put in the game. The sarna.net wiki is inconsistent.

Only half joking: https://mwomercs.com/store

Doing a quick search the old wiki may have a lot of images, but is probably out of date: https://mwo.gamepedia.com/MechWarrior_Online_Wiki

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬

Ravenfood posted:

Did they change Endo-Composite? Right now I have that it just takes up slots in return for decreasing internal weight. If its costing me internal health on top of that, no wonder my XL Vindicator is starting to take a lot of repair time.

I may be thinking of a different one, but there's 3 tiers: 5% weight discount for 14 crit slots, 2.5% weight discount for 7 crit slots, and 5% weight discounts for 50% Internal Structure HP. Stuff like Endo Steel in general is pricey, as much of the LosTech is balanced by imposing far greater maintenance costs, drop costs, and longer repair times. So as your mechs get more advanced, they get more expensive to use, and require more MechTechs to repair in a reasonable timeframe.

Paingod556 posted:

:byodood: "Why didn't anyone tell me of this amazing piece of LosTech?! Farah, look into filling the Argo's bulkheads full of this stuff to see if we can improve the Argo's sublight performance.
:j: "Sure thing, boss. I'll *snicker* get right on it. No doubt the Argo will go faster when its less dense than a *chortle* vacuum.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Panfilo posted:

I may be thinking of a different one, but there's 3 tiers: 5% weight discount for 14 crit slots, 2.5% weight discount for 7 crit slots, and 5% weight discounts for 50% Internal Structure HP. Stuff like Endo Steel in general is pricey, as much of the LosTech is balanced by imposing far greater maintenance costs, drop costs, and longer repair times. So as your mechs get more advanced, they get more expensive to use, and require more MechTechs to repair in a reasonable timeframe.
Ah gotcha, yeah, I've found the Endo-Steel 5% for 14 and the Endo-Composite 2.5 for 7, but not the 5% for internal structure. So far I've been slapping it whenever I get it because while its pricy to maintain, the extra weight helps me win more fights quickly and cuts down on damage I take. So far, anyway, I imagine that changes. I just re-tooled my Centurion to have SRM6x2, 2MLAS, and 2 vehicle flamers with JJs mostly thanks to the weight saved. Now if only I can get that engine up to a 250 and actually get it able to close into combat. It feels so drat slow.

e: The biggest piece of advice I have in the early game, since I finally got a merc campaign going a bit, is to get a second mechbay asap. I didn't realize it would let you work on two mechs simultaneously and that really seems to improve post-combat re-armor/repair efficiency more than any other upgrade so far, letting you drop more, which means more cash.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Aug 31, 2018

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Crazyeyes24 posted:

Doing a quick search the old wiki may have a lot of images, but is probably out of date: https://mwo.gamepedia.com/MechWarrior_Online_Wiki

In addition to this, you can google "MWO *Name of Mech*" to view any given redesign.

And the artist for all of MWO's stuff is Alexander Iglesias. He has a Deviantart account.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Crazyeyes24 posted:

Can't believe I didn't think of the store :v: Thansk!

Skippy McPants posted:

In addition to this, you can google "MWO *Name of Mech*" to view any given redesign.

And the artist for all of MWO's stuff is Alexander Iglesias. He has a Deviantart account.

Thanks as well!