Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Elman posted:

The world came extremely close to nuclear war multiple times, though?

Or it did and we're actually all just brains in a vat plugged into a lovely simulation. Mostly for masturbatory purposes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Collapsing Farts posted:

people been saying this for decades tho

poo poo brother, the world was going to end in nuclear hellfire during the cold war already

The fact that it didn't is a not so minor miracle.
2007 crash is going to feel like the clinton years when the next one hits, and it will, because the same bubbles are there with new ones on top of it.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
I really enjoy the Many Worlds/Quantum Immortality theory that says our world/society is so absurd precisely because we can only exist in realities where nuclear holocausts haven't occurred. With nuclear holocausts being more likely every year the realities that allow for continued existence are more unlikely over time, making them more outlandish as we go forward. It explains a lot, really. Here's the comic:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I still prefer the "Simulation keepers quicksaved in 2012 and decided to see how weird they could make poo poo" theory, mainly because it implies the possibility of me uploading myself out of the simulation and into a robot so I can kill the simulation keepers

Kazak
Jan 10, 2012

Tashilicious posted:

I already barely watch things at the theater this would mean I'd watch nothing.

If you're seeing a bunch of poo poo in theaters, instead see something better.

On second thought,

Tashilicious posted:

because I am now a old

It's brutally depressing how

It's depressing

while just dulling life with weed and despair.

Go talk to someone, like, yesterday. Someone whose profession is to listen and help you cope with the suck of life

Now, an image

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

soy posted:

Or it did and we're actually all just brains in a vat plugged into a lovely simulation. Mostly for masturbatory purposes.

Nice, I'm a simulation for some robot's spank bank!

Tashilicious
Jul 17, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Kazak posted:

If you're seeing a bunch of poo poo in theaters, instead see something better.

On second thought,

Go talk to someone, like, yesterday. Someone whose profession is to listen and help you cope with the suck of life

Now, an image

I'm actually fairly better off than I was a while ago, poo poo just gets to me and I've mainlined this entire loving beast of a thread in like two days which does not make one a cheeful person.
Nihilistic cynical venting helps with coping in this blasted hellscape of a cyberpunk dystopia in which we don't even get the cool mods to explore our own humanity (or lack thereof) with.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018
This one is from real life today :thermidor:

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord
a few years ago I had to work for 3 days straight, more or less 24/7 except a few hours of sleep here and there, over the 4th of July weekend... for Bank of America

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

say no to bats
Aug 15, 2001
Rumblee tumblee, climin' a hunny tree

gey muckle mowser posted:

a few years ago I had to work for 3 days straight, more or less 24/7 except a few hours of sleep here and there, over the 4th of July weekend... for Bank of America

Sounds like my experiences in industrial engineering only it makes zero sense because its the loving financial sector but hey!

4th of July means 7-28 day shutdowns across the country at many plants so that's when people like me get to pull 16-20 hr shifts (on salary of course, my employer billed hourly at a hilariously high rate I never got to see natch) for a few weeks on end including weekends. Companies like Nissan will charge a given plant a penalty for every second/minute a line isn't running (or per expected parts per unit of time) so we got treated like scum by angry fretting plant managers! The goal was for them to have forced overtime to where they built up a huge backlog of said part(s) prior to our work starting so we had that quoted block of time to use to get everything upgraded/installed/commissioned but it literally never happened! 7 or 10 or 20 day job quote? Here's a half day worth of extra parts! Git r dun! The angry daily meetings as Mr Plant Manager was getting his rear end chewed by an auto maker and/or his superiors only wasted more of our time but that plea always fell on deaf ears.

This also means December/Christmas was a hellish nightmare for me as well because of the same day, multi week shutdowns at various plants. People at the office leaving at 10 or 11 am all week till the day(s) off? You bet! Assholes like myself and my co-workers who were always on the job? Enjoy your 16-20 hour days fuckface. Hell the office fucks were allowed to openly drink that week because a lot of people just took those days off even though the office environment was 100% non-productive anyway. I was sent pictures! Looked like a lot of fun.

Mind you, I (and however many other guys, usually 1 and sometimes 2) cost a given plant 750 a day per head plus food plus board allowances, 1250 a day weekends and 2000 a day major holidays! The one decent human being I made friends with there before I bailed had 3 degrees including a Masters! Lots of experience! She (maybe that's why!) made 43000 a year! I had 1 degree and no experience! I started at 41000!

This country is already a mild dystopia and growing but it seems like people are content to waste their lives working for scraps and self-medicating with an endless buffet of new streaming series and alcohol/weed so we're already totally hosed.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

"In front of us?" Why didn't you try to stop him you tabloid monsters :colbert:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also I'm the self-saucing pud

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Tashilicious posted:

The poo poo is going to collapse sooner rather than later. That's a thing, and it will happen. The current system is untenable and on a rocky foundation that won't take very much to just push over, and the current leadership in the US (which is where the collapse is going to start triggering the dominoes) are not going to be doing anything worthwhile to prevent it, or fix it after it happens.

Well at least the US military, the only government institution that still has a ton of funding and would be in a position to do something nationwide if civil unrest happened, isn't heavily biased towards the fash...

autism ZX spectrum posted:

A good, independent radio station is pretty rad. I've heard a bunch of bands I would have never dreamed of looking up through the two university stations here. Radio has sucked since the 80s because that's when those giant conglomerates took over and turned it into the garbage we know today. Apparently in the olden days radio djs had a bunch of freedom as to what they could play, so you'd get a ton of regional variation. Fuckin never stops pissing me off that all the big rock stations go to ads at the exact same time so you can't avoid commercials without turning the radio off.

Both the college stations here are just NPR's, when they're not playing NPR one of them plays lovely smooth jazz for white dads and the other one hosts a local call-in roundtable talk show that i've only listened to twice and both times it featured callers whining about those gross queers and obummer, and the roundtable hosts mostly agreeing.

Iron Crowned posted:

Metallica has pretty much sucked since the 80's ended. These days they exist to make corporate suits feel like they're still in touch. I don't listen to the radio much these days, but I do recall rock stations having a ~30 minute block of "Mandatory Metallica" starting around 2000. I certainly don't think they're mainstream relevant these days, but there are a lot of people who have forgotten how they're piss babbies and will defend everything they put out. Megadeth was always the better band even if Dave Mustaine has always been an irredeemable rear end in a top hat.

I straddle two markets, and I think this extends to songs as well. There are a few songs that I seem to encounter at approximately the same time, it's not like they're even new songs that are getting pushed, it's old stuff like Spoonman.
There have also been multiple occasions when I have switched stations only to find the exact same song playing, or it's the next song, again it's always old stuff :psyduck:

Quite a few radio stations these days are "virtual," they're just being streamed from a central server over the internet, Jack FM is a good example of this.

My friend who worked for a local ISP had access to the radio tower that broadcast Jack FM and it was literally just an unlocked, unprotected windows PC running some streaming software with the audio out going to the transmitter. He paused it once while I was listening to it to prove he was actually there :v:

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!

Megadeth have their own beer now and Iron Maiden did a while ago as well. Whitesnake (well, David Coverdale) had their own wine about 8 years ago

No one makes any money of album sales anymore which is why shows are no longer $25 for areas.

Part of me thinks Apple didn't help any when they more or less demanded that all songs on iTunes sell for $0.99

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

This one is from real life today :thermidor:

time to go back to our roots and strike for a day and picnic

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bonzo posted:

Megadeth have their own beer now and Iron Maiden did a while ago as well. Whitesnake (well, David Coverdale) had their own wine about 8 years ago

No one makes any money of album sales anymore which is why shows are no longer $25 for areas.

Part of me thinks Apple didn't help any when they more or less demanded that all songs on iTunes sell for $0.99

No one ever made much money on album sales except the label and it was always touring/merch that was the money maker for the band.

I distinctly remember that bands were getting pennies out of the $20-$30 album price.

E:

Part of the reason piracy/iTunes/etc got so popular is because everyone knew this and said gently caress the labels I'm not paying $20-$30 to make some gently caress executive even more money.

A lot of artists know this too and don't care about piracy because more people listening to the music equals more people at shows and buying merch.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 16:51 on Aug 30, 2018

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I see a lot of professional musicians complaining about the deals they get from streaming services. Yeah they are getting the shaft on album sales but they get all of 0.05 cents for several thousand streams.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

Metallica has pretty much sucked since the 80's ended. These days they exist to make corporate suits feel like they're still in touch. I don't listen to the radio much these days, but I do recall rock stations having a ~30 minute block of "Mandatory Metallica" starting around 2000. I certainly don't think they're mainstream relevant these days, but there are a lot of people who have forgotten how they're piss babbies and will defend everything they put out. Megadeth was always the better band even if Dave Mustaine has always been an irredeemable rear end in a top hat.

metallica started sucking the moment cliff burton was crushed by a bus. with burton writing songs metallica was a less embarassing, heavier iron maiden

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

luxury handset posted:

metallica started sucking the moment cliff burton was crushed by a bus. with burton writing songs metallica was a less embarassing, heavier iron maiden

Yeah this is extremely accurate

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

luxury handset posted:

Are you calling Iron Maiden is an embarrassment? :toughguy:

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Iron Crowned posted:

Are you calling Iron Maiden is an embarrassment? :toughguy:

i'm saying that when it comes to men in tights singing rock and roll songs about early 20th century literature, i'll roll my windows up when listening to iron maiden

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
Anyone ever feel the urge to kill rising up past the numbness and suddenly know exactly how a spree shooter probably feels for a few moments?

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

DrPossum posted:

lmao if you listen to commercial radio

there is no bigger example of the logical conclusion of capitalism

now excuse me while I renew my multiple paid music subscription services :smug:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

luxury handset posted:

I was going to make a joke about if they'd put the whiskey down last time they'd made a good album it would be ready now, then I realised their last good album was 30 years ago and felt very, very old.

And if you diss the Irons one more time, well...

Motherfucker posted:

Anyone ever feel the urge to kill rising up past the numbness and suddenly know exactly how a spree shooter probably feels for a few moments?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

just to be clear I'm talking about the overarching thread not dad-rock chatt

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Motherfucker posted:

:chloe:

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

ah poo poo

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Capitalism Thread: Motherfucker: "Aw poo poo"

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Motherfucker posted:

Most people just call that work.

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

The Bloop posted:

Capitalism Thread: Motherfucker: "Aw poo poo"

Yikes sorry mofo

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Motherfucker posted:

If you have the urge or compulsion to harm yourself or others, please immediately seek help. If you have insurance, make an appointment with a psychiatrist as early as possible. If you dont have insurance, i suggest googling a suicide hotline in your country or state.

Also I feel maybe there could be a moratorium on suicide or death threats itt. Get help, yo.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

value-brand cereal posted:

If you have the urge or compulsion to harm yourself or others, please immediately seek help. If you have insurance, make an appointment with a psychiatrist as early as possible. If you dont have insurance, i suggest googling a suicide hotline in your country or state.

Also I feel maybe there could be a moratorium on suicide or death threats itt. Get help, yo.

unless Bezos shows up at my house to suck my blood I'm not gonna shoot anyone, although I'm pretty sure you need to stake that dude and than dunk his severed head in holy water.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Bonzo posted:

I see a lot of professional musicians complaining about the deals they get from streaming services. Yeah they are getting the shaft on album sales but they get all of 0.05 cents for several thousand streams.

Yeah well if they were smart they'd realize they'd sell a few t-shirts and show tickets as a result of that whereas otherwise none of those people would have even heard of their music let alone paid $20 for an album so in the end they're making more than they would have anyway. Maybe the RIAA should stop ripping them off.

File sharing won't stop. Back in the day people burned discs. It's not anything new and attempts to crush it and return to a 70s business model have all failed spectacularly.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

In the first half of 2017, the U.S. record industry enjoyed 17 percent jump in revenue over the same period the previous year, according to the Recording Industry Association of America. That followed the biggest spike in revenue in almost 20 years in 2016. The industry’s decade of misfortune is quickly fading in the rearview mirror thanks to streaming, which not so long ago was the bogeyman threatening artists’ livelihoods. People like Taylor Swift, Radiohead frontman Thom Yorke, and Talking Heads founder David Byrne have all disparaged Spotify with varying levels of vitriol. But all of them now have their most recent projects available on the service. The industry’s bogeyman has become its savior.

Poor poor poor RIAA someone think of their record labels

quote:

Warner Music Group’s quarterly revenue surpassed $1 billion for the first time in more than a decade at the end of 2017. Universal Music Group and Sony Music, the other two major labels, also enjoyed strong growth last year. The prosperity has led to a shift in morale at the majors, which have spent most of this century battling digital platforms rather than benefiting from them. “People aren’t walking around with quite such a grim face,” says Jeff Biederman, an entertainment lawyer at Manatt, Phelps & Phillips who represents country singer Dierks Bentley. “You definitely can see a new bounce in their step. Streaming is catching up now.”

Someone is profiting just not the majority of artists but gently caress me lol that's not because consumers are killing anything it is because as always *drumroll* record labels are scummy fucks who exploit the poo poo out of the talent and pay them barely anything while also using their industry clout to gently caress over anyone trying to go it independently.

Moridin920 has issued a correction as of 20:31 on Aug 30, 2018

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

David Byrne has a great book about how the music industry fucks everyone over.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

This poor guy is spending 15 months in prison and paying a 40,000 dollar fine because microsoft accused him of software piracy.

What did he do? He runs a repair shop and he downloaded the free restore software in order to repair dell computers he was fixing for people and burned it onto cds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7hnVYMoctM

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah, it also didn't help that St. Anger was a horrid album while Reload was like "OK this isn't bad but who the gently caress are you and where did Metallica go?"

See your problem is you got into Metallica from the wrong side of the century.

I heard St. Anger and thought "huh this is alright I guess" and then listened my way backwards and things just got better and better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

Motherfucker posted:

Memetallica is a bad band and their music retroactively blows because it was performed by a man with sausage skin instead of actual skin who gets mad at limewire.

Yeah the bullshit with Napster was stupid, but most of that was Lars Ulrich who’s always been kind of tool anyway. Napoleon syndrome.

BAGS FLY AT NOON has issued a correction as of 23:48 on Aug 30, 2018