Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
Super Metroid is a must play because they don’t make maps like that anymore. Tightly designed, interconnected, and no fast travel needed because your movement upgrades eventually have you flying around the map. It’s clear that they designed some of the opening levels with endgame traversal options in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Sega is schizophrenic about stuff like that. On one hand you get Christian Whitehead showing up all of Sonic Team Japan and on the other you get them taking down YouTube channels for the crime of hosting Shining Force videos.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

jivjov posted:

Also remember that Nintendo took the best possible route to dealing with it. The official C&D/implied legal threat came a day or so AFTER the full game released. Long enough that a bunch of people downloaded it and it's super easy to find online, quick enough that Nintendo's rear end is covered on a "defending our copyright and trademark" sense.

Plus, Samus Returns came out only a year after the C&D was issued. Nintendo waited as long as reasonably possible imo

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Don't hire these losers, if they were good they'd come up with their own game ideas

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Don't hire these losers, if they were good they'd come up with their own game ideas
This.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.

Policenaut posted:

Sega is schizophrenic about stuff like that. On one hand you get Christian Whitehead showing up all of Sonic Team Japan and on the other you get them taking down YouTube channels for the crime of hosting Shining Force videos.

That's dumb.

If a developer makes a good game then they are good game developers.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hears a Pokemon game but get this all the Pokemon are irradiated and your mom is a Pokemon now and you gotta kill her, Nintendo would never have the balls to be this edgy

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

nachos posted:

Super Metroid is a must play because they don’t make maps like that anymore. Tightly designed, interconnected, and no fast travel needed because your movement upgrades eventually have you flying around the map. It’s clear that they designed some of the opening levels with endgame traversal options in mind.

yeah the fatigue I get with all the metroidvanias now I never got with Zero Mission or Super Metroid. Sometimes having a gigantic map and gameworld in a metroidvania is awful when there's way too much ground to cover.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

punk rebel ecks posted:

Nintendo on Copyright is very disappointing. They should take notes from Sega. Hire the people who make fangames, not sure them.

Sega quite happily killed the Streets of Rage remake thing

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Policenaut posted:

Sega has been mismanaged for twenty-five years though.

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Mister Facetious posted:

Sega has been mismanaged for twenty-five years though.

Well Nintendo was biggest on all the C&Ds during the Wii U era so...............

WHY BONER NOW
Mar 6, 2016

Pillbug

3ds also has Metroid Federation Force which is similarly hated but honestly I think it's a pretty good game.

It is! It's a fun multiplayer shooter and is definitely worth playing if you have friends to come with you.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Hears a Pokemon game but get this all the Pokemon are irradiated and your mom is a Pokemon now and you gotta kill her, Nintendo would never have the balls to be this edgy

Hell yeah, and make sure you have bugs that make your defense drop in half for equipping items and have the final tournament be randomly decided with one team tricked out to competitive levels.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Hey look I made Bobomb battlefield in unreal 4! It plays and sounds exactly like an HD version of the original, I used the model from Galaxy.

What!? Nintendo took this down? HOW DARE THEY need with that guy's artistic vision!

In all seriousness though I think AM2R is fine, but way overrated.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Monster Hunter Generation Ultimate has too much content

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

Monster Hunter Generation Ultimate has too much content

Mario Odyssey has too many moons

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Intellectual property is theft

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Guild ladies who hate their jobs are characters of the year, btw

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Felynes that forget to "cat-talk" and catch themselves at it in conversation are def the characters of the year.

Felynes meowing the whole f'ing hunt are NOT, however.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

I don't know how they do it but Into the Breach is giving me the same amazing vibes that FTL did. I really hope that gets sent over to Switch. Would happily double dip, especially since iOS never got the expansion.

I got so much mileage out of FTL that I have no problem paying again.

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Beastie posted:

I don't know how they do it but Into the Breach is giving me the same amazing vibes that FTL did. I really hope that gets sent over to Switch. Would happily double dip, especially since iOS never got the expansion.

iOS got advanced edition, was there another expansion?

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

Beastie posted:

I got so much mileage out of FTL that I have no problem paying again.

Same. I booted it up on Steam just to see, and it's terrific. Only the final boss is kinda dumb because there are really certain layouts that are great at killing it, with others giving you way too much trouble (old spoiler Yes I griped about the "automated" spaceship endlessly, why the hell make a boarding crew set-up...). But it's never been a game about the destination but rather the journey. And that journey... Those developers are two for two so far, I'd be happy to give them as much money as I can.

Beastie
Nov 3, 2006

They used to call me tricky-kid, I lived the life they wish they did.

Zibidibodel posted:

iOS got advanced edition, was there another expansion?

Perhaps I was mistaken. I haven't played it in about 3 years. I just checked the Apple Store and it indeed says it was Advanced Edition.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

that's a bad game by a bad game developer

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Hey look I made Bobomb battlefield in unreal 4! It plays and sounds exactly like an HD version of the original, I used the model from Galaxy.

What!? Nintendo took this down? HOW DARE THEY need with that guy's artistic vision!

In all seriousness though I think AM2R is fine, but way overrated.

SMBX and a good handful of mario romhacks are way better than NSMB and mario maker.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Hey everybody go buy Freedom Planet, it's good

Feel free to turn off the story cutscenes though

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Good is a word. Not the word I'd use though.

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Heath posted:

Hey everybody go buy Freedom Planet, it's good

Feel free to turn off the story cutscenes though

Did you miss Sonic Mania and Sonic Mania Plus?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Freedom Planet is forcefully adequate

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Zibidibodel posted:

a good game existing doesn't cancel out another good game existing

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Zibidibodel posted:

They're alright but need to be less dependent on nostalgia.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Zibidibodel posted:

Felynes that forget to "cat-talk" and catch themselves at it in conversation are def the characters of the year.

Felynes meowing the whole f'ing hunt are NOT, however.

Live with it long enough and eventually you won't even hear it anymore :shepface:

Expect I can only have cats with the default voice because that's the only one that my brain automatically tunes out

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Zibidibodel posted:

I haven't played them yet but I'm sure they're also good!

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

lets hang out posted:

Live with it long enough and you won't even hear it anymore :shepface:

I don't believe you at all. It is so loud and I understand why this was more fine on a handheld than on a system that docks and uses the TV. It's like the loud-rear end battle sounds in XBC2 where everyone's yelling random stuff. Great games, but jesus why is it so loud?

Mogki
Aug 2, 2016

The Bloop posted:

Freedom Planet is forcefully adequate

:hmmyes:

Zibidibodel
Jan 10, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

a good game existing doesn't cancel out another good game existing

Fair, but we're talking about Freedom Planet

Takoluka posted:

They're alright but need to be less dependent on nostalgia.

This is 100% true, but Freedom Planet was really built to fill in the "gap" of sonic games (edit: this is how it felt when I played it and the impression I got from the promos) , but I wonder if the indie dev timeline is why it came out after Sonic Mania.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

overrated is in my bottom 10 phrases in the English language

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Augus posted:

overrated is in my bottom 10 phrases in the English language

So you'd say it's an overrated phrase then

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp