Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Skwirl posted:

Death of Superman was another, I think it was made by Rare or some other developer that later had great success making games in a completely different style.

Blizzard of all people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Calaveron posted:

I remember every time I rented it it came in a neat red cartridge but when I got it for Christmas it was a lame regular gray cartridge

I own it and have the red cartridge.

Also had Death of Superman and I liked that game as repetitive as it was.

pubic works project fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Aug 24, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

good day for a bris posted:

Blizzard of all people.

That was it. I even first wrote "Blizzard" then second guessed myself and changed it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Pre-Warcraft Blizzard is SO WEIRD. Like there was that and Rock N Roll Racing and Blackthorne and Lost Vikings, then they were just like "nah we are making three franchises now for the rest of time"

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Endless Mike posted:

Pre-Warcraft Blizzard is SO WEIRD. Like there was that and Rock N Roll Racing and Blackthorne and Lost Vikings, then they were just like "nah we are making three franchises now for the rest of time"

I'm legit surprised Blackthorne isn't in Heroes of the Storm yet.

good day for a bris
Feb 4, 2006

No, I don't want to play "Conversation Parade".

Wanderer posted:

I'm legit surprised Blackthorne isn't in Heroes of the Storm yet.

They use the name in like everything though.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Maximum Carnage and Separation Anxiety were decent beat-em-ups, though MC not having co-op and Separation Anxiety constantly reusing enemies dock points from both of them.

The worst SNES game featuring Spider-man is this japan-only release. It has some neat ideas going on but it's largely unplayable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DNimQVujucI

The final stage is a three way fight between Venom, Carnage and Spidey, which is cute I guess.

Wanderer posted:

There was this weird thing going on that went from the 16-bit era all the way up to the end of the PSOne where people kept making arcade-style quarter-munchers except they weren't in arcades and they didn't offer quarters. It used to drive me insane.

Many games in the late 8-bit and 16-bit era released in the west were made or altered to be unbeatable on a rental to make it seem like rentals were a bad value. Despite rumors to the contrary, most non-jrpg games released in Japan and sometimes Europe were likely to be significantly easier than the NA release. This was compounded by games made by inexperienced devs that were released in the west first with the difficulty set to "The level designer can beat it about half the time" that were adjusted to something more sensible once they got feedback and released it in new regions. This was further compounded by some games in the late Famicom era having save features and difficulty options removed when ported to the NES because the original releases were on the famicom disk system and a cartridge couldn't handle the data storage.

But primarily, it was about the rentals thing. Nintendo went to court to try to make game rentals illegal in the US and lost, and they never got over it.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I heard someone in this thread was badmouthing Maximum Carnage and I came to put a stop to it. Also I never figured out what Morbius did in it

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

poly and open-minded posted:

I heard someone in this thread was badmouthing Maximum Carnage and I came to put a stop to it. Also I never figured out what Morbius did in it

If you summon him and people are on the ground he'll damage them.

Cloak and Dagger were the best summon. Then Firestar against Carnage, and then either Spidey or Venom.

Codependent Poster fucked around with this message at 06:53 on Aug 25, 2018

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

poly and open-minded posted:

It's a 2.5d brawler based on a comic where Spider-Man teams up with Venom to defeat Carnage and it didn't have a co-op mode.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Blackthorne's actually pretty good, imo

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Medullah posted:

The TMNT style one was just weird, with Giant Venom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GNqmcV_kI3k

This looks dope.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

This looks dope.

Like all of Konami's arcade fighters it's not very fun to actually play.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Lurdiak posted:

Like all of Konami's arcade fighters it's not very fun to actually play.

Hey, I'm half convinced that Turtles in Time is the apex of the genre! And X-Men is good enough to play once, if you don't have anything better to do!

That being said, that Spider-Man game looks a bit more in the league of the Avengers game or Turtles arcade 1. I've always had a fascination with the weird Japan-only "Lethal Foes" (so close) Spider-Man game. I should probably just download a rom at this point, but I'm not really convinced it's worth the effort. Nice Bagley-based art style though.

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
The biggest problem with the Spider-man arcade game is that it was specifically designed to be a quarter-muncher. Your life total constantly ticked down over time, and using your special moves also drained life.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

OnimaruXLR posted:

Hey, I'm half convinced that Turtles in Time is the apex of the genre!

Yeah, the console version. The arcade version's got the same problems as all their other games.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I played snes turtles in time all summer long with my 4 year old niece and it absolutely holds up. Phenomenal soundtrack too

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

maximum carnage was pretty mediocre, but Seperation Anxiety, it's sequel, added co-op with Spidey and Venom and it was a lot better for it. the game was still pretty much the same but having two people play it was more fun

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

We need another Silver Surfer game imho.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, Capcom's beat-em-ups were superior. Final Fight is a better simple game, and the D&D ones are nicely complex enough to do the licence justice within the genre.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Gaz-L posted:

Yeah, Capcom's beat-em-ups were superior. Final Fight is a better simple game, and the D&D ones are nicely complex enough to do the licence justice within the genre.

All these games are why MAME is the greatest blessing of all time. Finally get to go through and beat all those monotonous games without spending a dime.

ASSUMING YOU OWN THE LEGAL ROMS OF COURSE.

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Medullah posted:

ASSUMING YOU OWN THE LEGAL ROMS OF COURSE.

OF COURSE!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Gaz-L posted:

Capcom also did Alien vs Predator, but you have to give Konami some respect for the Simpsons.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Waffleman_ posted:

We're all forgetting the best Spidey game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-NjyWMs5Dk

My grandparents had this game when I was a kid and I distinctly remember clicking desperately around the screen thinking there had to be an actual game here somewhere and that maybe I just couldn't find some magic secret button that'd unlock Maximum Carnage.

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

The Spidey arcade beat-em-up was by Sega, not Konami. The gimmick of occasionally shrinking down and becoming a platformer was kind of neat. I only really enjoyed playing it if I could be Spidey or Black Cat, though.

People tend to overlook Capcom's Punisher arcade game, which was a lot of fun. Player 2 got to be Nick Fury. There were a handful of unique moves that were pretty cool; e.g. hitting jump and attack while having an enemy in a grab made you grip them by the ankles and swing them around for a bit.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Even Capcom's much better games were usually better in the console version, because they weren't balanced around a potentially infinite number of lives(quarters) and the final stages were a lot less quarter munchy. Fighting games are really the only genre where the arcade version is superior in all ways, because it's about winning the matches, not the long game.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Has there been any rumors that any other Marvel characters make an appearance? I know Avengers Tower and the Sanctom Sanctorum are visitable in the game, but does that mean Tony Stark or Dr Strange appear in the game somehow?

I know they're making a Black Cat centric DLC at some point.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

twistedmentat posted:

Has there been any rumors that any other Marvel characters make an appearance? I know Avengers Tower and the Sanctom Sanctorum are visitable in the game, but does that mean Tony Stark or Dr Strange appear in the game somehow?

I know they're making a Black Cat centric DLC at some point.

I doubt you'll actually see Tony Stark of Stephen Strange in person. Black Cat is a Spider-Man character so it's not surprising she's got DLC

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Silver Sable is also in the game.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
As far as other heroes go, only Miles and MJ but they're keeping quiet about how much you'll play as them. There might be a small cameo, but this is Spidey's game, I wouldn't expect a hardcore Avenging.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Waffleman_ posted:

Silver Sable is also in the game.

Yea, and I love the design for her in the game.

Yea i wasn't expecting "oh yea this part you get to play Iron Man", Cameo on like TV or what not. I've heard this is intended to be the first in a series of games starring marvel heroes, so I assumed there might be a easter egg or bread crumb that suggests the next game will be a Hulk one or something.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I don't know if they're going through with the game universe yet, but it's something they're open to if this one does well. So far, as we know, Avengers Tower and the Sanctum are just references.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I owned Maximum Carnage as a kid and played the poo poo out of it, but the game by all objective standards is loving terrible. It's nearly impossible to beat without cheat codes and there's not nearly enough enemy variety.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Monaghan posted:

I owned Maximum Carnage as a kid and played the poo poo out of it, but the game by all objective standards is loving terrible. It's nearly impossible to beat without cheat codes and there's not nearly enough enemy variety.

What are you talking about there's Tiffany and Cindy and Mark and John and Kelly and Johnny and Al and Jenny and Mike and Bill and

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Monaghan posted:

loving terrible is quite an overstatement. It's mediocre for a beat-em-up and a bit too hard. But it has good music and neat web-stuff.

If you want loving terrible I have a vast array of much worse beat-em-ups I can point you to, like the Infinity War SNES game.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i remembered this thread exists while reading the article, hopefully it hasnt been posted already

The Oral History of Treyarch's Spider-Man 2: One of the Best Superhero Games Ever

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

site posted:

i remembered this thread exists while reading the article, hopefully it hasnt been posted already

The Oral History of Treyarch's Spider-Man 2: One of the Best Superhero Games Ever

There's also now this thread: SPIDER-MAN: Yes, The Webs Attach To Buildings Again

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Shocked the thread doesn't begin with

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
So do we know yet if they’re MGS2’ing this thing? It would make sense in a learning the ropes/mechanics stylee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Sentinel Red posted:

So do we know yet if they’re MGS2’ing this thing? It would make sense in a learning the ropes/mechanics stylee.

What?