Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

LLSix posted:

Can you confederate Avelorn/Alarielle as helfs? I don't see the option on my Tyrion campaign.

I don't have her DLC. Guess I'll just have to murder her. Kind of annoying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Ammanas posted:

Install Green Iz Best and they will kill all the rats, all the dwarves and a lot of the tomby kings. My last Vlad campaign was about a 120 turn hellwar of endless blorc doomballs.

If the AI didn't constantly pull its punches, they might have even taken a lot of my empire territories. Really wish there was a way to give AI a lot of money + bloodthirstiness

This has been my vanilla experience in ME, and even nerfing them(less whaag mods and stuff) they always end up holding at least 30% of the world map by turn 100.
I really wish that mod that added a bunch of Skaven faction start positions into badlands as well as made some greenskin tribes into gobbos tribes was still updated and functional, it was real fun and nice to have some variety of stuff to fight.

Fighting the same Greenskins stacks from mid to end game every ME playthrough makes me just not want to bother with new campaigns anymore.
Here's to hoping that southern realms DLC comes soon(or at all) and that they can help hold back the green tide to some degree.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I love love love fighting green skins except when they start pulling out nothing but black orcs/doom divers/giants/arachnaroks because those things are always a slog to kill.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'll take any of those (except maybe the Doom Diver) over Night Goblins with Fanatics. I'm pretty sure only fanatics, magic, and artillery can score substantial kills against a late-game player Dwarf army.

Plan Z
May 6, 2012

edit: wrong thread

Acute Grill
Dec 9, 2011

Chomp

bloodychill posted:

The most frustrating thing I've run into with the Lizardmen Mazdamundi vortex start is that Chaos often pours in away from the capital and in very different locations. After I took most of the south western continent, they started appearing down there with a couple boats up north along the border with the elves.

Chaos stacks try to spawn outside your borders, far from your armies, and close to your ritual cities (this can lead to bizarre behavior if those towns are on opposite sides of the map). One group of armies on land and a smaller group on the water. Of course, sometimes these are impossible or mutually exclusive, but the AI will always pick whatever they think will gently caress you over worst. It's generally best to start the ritual early in your turn so you can move armies, and play the rest of your turn with that knowledge.

Also save right beforre you hit the button just in case you really get screwed.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I think I’m going to try a dwaf legend campaign just to say I’ve done a legend, and two questions since I can’t be at the computer till tonight?

Do factionwide buffs stack? Say two archivists on two heroes would be a total +20% to research?

And, am I crazy or are basic income buildings always more cost-effective than mines? Obviously you want the mines long term for the higher potential but if you have the slots for both, drop the basic building first at t1 or t2 right?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
Buffs stack but they don't double

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Ammanas posted:

Buffs stack but they don't double

So an archivist and a student works but two+ archivists does nothing?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Nah, means you can't have two Archivists on the same character.

Zudgemud
Mar 1, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

All research effects work multiplicatively and not additively, so 5 students giving 10% reduction each thus gives 34,4% research time reduction and not a 50% reduction.

However, I think construction related bonuses often act additive and not multiplicative.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Zudgemud posted:

All research effects work multiplicatively and not additively, so 5 students giving 10% reduction each thus gives 34,4% research time reduction and not a 50% reduction.

However, I think construction related bonuses often act additive and not multiplicative.

Ooook gotcha

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

Acute Grill posted:

Chaos stacks try to spawn outside your borders, far from your armies, and close to your ritual cities (this can lead to bizarre behavior if those towns are on opposite sides of the map). One group of armies on land and a smaller group on the water. Of course, sometimes these are impossible or mutually exclusive, but the AI will always pick whatever they think will gently caress you over worst. It's generally best to start the ritual early in your turn so you can move armies, and play the rest of your turn with that knowledge.

Also save right beforre you hit the button just in case you really get screwed.

I'm at the point now where High Elves are halfway to the last ritual, I'm close behind but haven't pulled the trigger on the second to last because when I tried it, VampCoast and Pestilens backstabbed me. So, I'm trying to finish conquering Vamps (very close to it) and push Pestilens into a treaty before moving all my stacks to the city they seem to spawn at and hitting the button. Not sure what to do about the High Elves. I have a stack over on not-Atlantis going around razing their cities but I don't know if it'll be enough. Meanwhile Dark Elves have completely confederated and have run-away in terms of strength because I'm the only force that has successfully pushed them and I had to turn away to deal with poo poo going on in the south.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

The ritual thing ends up being a bit of smoke and mirrors to raise tension, you will get an option to intervene and defeat them in a battle before they complete the ritual

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

The best bug, which they should reintroduce IMO, is Sanchez the Green Knight

John Charity Spring
Nov 4, 2009

SCREEEEE

Vlex posted:

That was only ever a mod conflict so I'm afraid the onus is on modders to reproduce it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Vlex posted:

You've piqued my interest.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Oh, whoops, here I was getting another bullshit reinforcement bug sandwiching me between two whole enemy armies and getting really pissy about it, until I remembered that I didn't even opt into the beta :v:

EDIT: Aaaand it doesn't work with my mods. Bummer, but I guess I can power through this clusterfuck.

toasterwarrior fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Aug 31, 2018

Flakey
Apr 30, 2009

There's no need to speak. You must only concentrate and recall all your past life. When a man thinks of the past, he becomes kinder.

bloodychill posted:

I'm at the point now where High Elves are halfway to the last ritual, I'm close behind but haven't pulled the trigger on the second to last because when I tried it, VampCoast and Pestilens backstabbed me. So, I'm trying to finish conquering Vamps (very close to it) and push Pestilens into a treaty before moving all my stacks to the city they seem to spawn at and hitting the button. Not sure what to do about the High Elves. I have a stack over on not-Atlantis going around razing their cities but I don't know if it'll be enough. Meanwhile Dark Elves have completely confederated and have run-away in terms of strength because I'm the only force that has successfully pushed them and I had to turn away to deal with poo poo going on in the south.

I wouldn't count on any treaties holding, the more rituals you complete the more other factions will hate you. There is only war, and so on.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Xarbala posted:

You've piqued my interest.

One mod (steel faith overhaul?) Had some issues with legendary lord names not appearing correctly. The most notable ones was Alejandro the White Dwarf and Sanchez the Green Knight but I'm sure there were others.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
It was Crynsos' Faction Unlocker IIRC; I think the bug was that the game ended up pulling names from the Estalian and Tilean namelists so Grombrindal became ALEJANDRO and likewise with the Green Knight.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

It was Crynsos' Faction Unlocker IIRC; I think the bug was that the game ended up pulling names from the Estalian and Tilean namelists so Grombrindal became ALEJANDRO and likewise with the Green Knight.

Weird, I wasn't running SFO or Crynsos when I encountered it. Halcyon days.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Don Gato posted:

One mod (steel faith overhaul?) Had some issues with legendary lord names not appearing correctly. The most notable ones was Alejandro the White Dwarf and Sanchez the Green Knight but I'm sure there were others.

toasterwarrior posted:

:spain:

Now there's an idea for a new mod

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

Zudgemud posted:

This can get pretty degenerate with High Elves where you can build stuff and then deconstruct them for more cash than they cost (depending on type, down to free!).

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?

Xarbala posted:

:spain:

Now there's an idea for a new mod

Carlos Francisco, the Emperor. Gabriel Ironhide. Roberto, Defender of Ulthuan.

lurksion
Mar 21, 2013

bloodychill posted:

VampCoast and Pestilens backstabbed me.
VampCoast is not scripted, but Pestilens (and all factions that participate in Vortex mechanics) are scripted to declare on second to last ritual. Though if your relations are good enough and much stronger you can immediately get a peace treaty.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

lurksion posted:

This can get pretty degenerate with High Elves where you can build stuff and then deconstruct them for more cash than they cost (depending on type, down to free!).
I think its three Administrator mages that can get basically every building down to near-free and 1-turn. Might be 4. Either way, totally worth having them just wandering around. Hell, I found it worthwhile to get a cheap-rear end Lord to shepherd them around just so I could use forced march stance and not worry about moving 3-4 agents around instead of 1. Its kind of stupidly hilarious.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

Ravenfood posted:

I think its three Administrator mages that can get basically every building down to near-free and 1-turn. Might be 4. Either way, totally worth having them just wandering around. Hell, I found it worthwhile to get a cheap-rear end Lord to shepherd them around just so I could use forced march stance and not worry about moving 3-4 agents around instead of 1. Its kind of stupidly hilarious.

My usual bottle neck is getting the province to grow large enough to build useful stuff. Cost and build times are rarely a significant factor. Did you find a way to boost pop growth enough that it wasn't the dominant factor?

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

LLSix posted:

My usual bottle neck is getting the province to grow large enough to build useful stuff. Cost and build times are rarely a significant factor. Did you find a way to boost pop growth enough that it wasn't the dominant factor?
Alarielle and a few Handmaidens help, but yes, you'll hit the bottleneck of growth pretty quick. I usually use that time to move them to another province, since moving from the inner to outer ring is annoyingly time-consuming.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

toasterwarrior posted:

Good lord, Bugman's Rangers under Belegar in Choice and Consequence are absolutely filthy. They have melee stats better than Longbeards, do AP damage in melee, do a respectable amount of ranged AP damage, and the exclusive skills can either give them Snipe and Agonizing Poison (Poison but twice as powerful) or faster reloading, more ammo, and a solid chunk of melee damage. Belegar than has an exclusive skill that gives them extra range and another melee damage boost, which means they're an insanely powerful unit that can do drat near everything well.

Hell, Tabletop Unit Caps makes them Rare Units that compete for space with Flame Cannons and Organ Guns, and TBH I'd rather take 4 of them than the one Rare artillery unit because holy poo poo they're ludicrous.

EDIT: Yeah, you know what, I kinda figured C&C would lean more into melee fights since a lot of the fun Dwarf ranged units are capped Tomb Kings-style, but once you get enough of those buildings and units up and running, you can slaughter entire armies without even getting into melee. And I'm not even doing my usual double Master Engineer army setup, just the one engineer ghost dad Belegar gets.
Yeah Bugmans Rangers are amazing in C&C. Very strong and versatile, I use em in sieges to dump arrows on their garrison then charge in once they run dry.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006

I've restarted Morathi on VH twice and can't get past turn 50 without endless skellingtons, lizards, rats, HElves, or a combination of all four drowning my single desperate stack in waves of troops 2-3 tiers above mine. How the poo poo are bleakswords and darkshards (the only troops I can support in numbers) supposed to stand up to two stacks of temple guard and dinos while running back to the other end of my territory to deal with three stacks of stormvermin, and oh look here come the white lions and dragon princes.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Vlex posted:

I've restarted Morathi on VH twice and can't get past turn 50 without endless skellingtons, lizards, rats, HElves, or a combination of all four drowning my single desperate stack in waves of troops 2-3 tiers above mine. How the poo poo are bleakswords and darkshards (the only troops I can support in numbers) supposed to stand up to two stacks of temple guard and dinos while running back to the other end of my territory to deal with three stacks of stormvermin, and oh look here come the white lions and dragon princes.

I had similar problems with Morathi: Her campaign really depends on whether or not Mazdamundi decides he wants to murder you early on. If he does, then you're hosed. You probably are going to hear "just use Darkshards". But while they're great, they're not going to win you the game when facing two stacks of dinos at around turn 25.
If Mazdamundi busies himself with going south or just stays passive for at least 50 to 75 turns, you're probably good. That will give you enough time to secure three to four provinces and build up. The auto-resolves loves the dinos. So if you build garrisons in your most southern city and stick an army stack in there, the AI probably won't avoid it even though you'll have a nice numerical advantage.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

So I got bored enough to finally buy and start a beastmen campaign, and lost my malagor stack + giant to every single empire province sending a full stack at me. Not sure if it's fun yet lol.

Are beastmen gonna get ror? Do they already and I just don't know about it?

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

albany academy posted:

So I got bored enough to finally buy and start a beastmen campaign, and lost my malagor stack + giant to every single empire province sending a full stack at me. Not sure if it's fun yet lol.

Are beastmen gonna get ror? Do they already and I just don't know about it?

Yeah, you need the 30th anniversary regiments of renown DLC. Should be free.

wearing a lampshade
Mar 6, 2013

I could have sworn I already installed that but thanks!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
I'm having a shitload of fun with a Belegar campaign using Choice and Consequence plus Tabletop Unit Caps, and so I feel compelled to write some stuff up on what LuckySpade's done with the Dwarf roster and skill line (at least, for those units I ended up using).

Quick reference:

- C&C does away with the vanilla skill lines, and instead has skills corresponding to a unit type or so that instead gives them stats and/or abilities once they reach each of the veterancy thresholds (bronze, silver, gold chevrons). There's two skill choices per unit type that's exclusive to each other, generally making them a lot stronger in a specific capacity. In addition, some units are capped across factions, and require additional recruitment buildings a la Tomb Kings to recruit.

- Tabletop Unit Caps uses the Warhammer Fantasy Battle army books to assign each unit in the game to a rarity: Core, Special, Rare. Through scripting, each army can only recruit up to 10 points of Special units and 5 points of Rare units, while Core units are uncapped.

Warriors (+ Great Weapons), Core
+12 Melee Defense, +15 Armor, Immune to Psychology VS -15 enemy Armor on hit, Medium Vigor Loss Reduction, +10 vs. Infantry

A lot more resilient than their vanilla counterparts, the latter of which would bleed models steadily against Orc Boyz. Certainly good enough to last well into late game against any opponent, and with buffs I've had them do surprisingly well against stuff like Black Orcs, if by "surprisingly well" I more accurately mean "didn't get slaughtered immediately". Personally, I preferred the second skill line, since they were already very resilient for their price and tier, and the -15 enemy Armor let my crossbows hit even harder against the enemy.

Miners (+ Blasting Charges), Rare (1pt)
Stalk, Expert Charge Defense, +10 AP damage VS +35% replenishment, +5 vs. Infantry, Stubborn (become Unbreakable for sometime when about to rout)

Even with Copper Mountain increasing Miner experience on recruitment, I was not compelled to use them since Belegar made them so much more expensive for a unit that's inferior to Warriors. Even so, the Miners from garrisons I would use as ablative armor ended up being really good tarpits, so the other Lords probably could make much better use of them. That said, Stalk at bronze plus natural Vanguard is already a fantastic combo, and gives Dwarfs an anti-artillery option very early into the campaign. I did not get to use anything with Blasting Charges, but just looking at the unit card, I can assume that 326 or so damage will savage the gently caress out of any infantry unit unfortunate enough to get flanked by them.

Quarrelers (+ Great Weapons) and Thunderers (capped), Core
+10% range, +15% reload rate, Hawkish Precision VS +15 Armor, 15% Ward Save, Large Vigor Reduction

Somehow even more murderous than vanilla Dwarf ranged units. Obviously, the first skill choice is the superior one, with Hawkish Precision turning your Quarrelers into a potent threat against unshielded armored units and your Thunderers into complete nightmares against anything in their line of fire. On a related note, guns in C&C are much more powerful per shot and even inflict a penalty to shield blocking on hit, but also take much longer to reload. Either way, both are super important to Dwarf play at all stages of the game.

Rangers (+ Great Weapons) and Bugman's Rangers (capped), Rare (1pt)
Expert Charge Defense, Snipe, Agonizing Poison (poison but stronger penalties) VS +25% ammo, +12 melee damage, +20% reload reduction

In C&C, Rangers don't replace Quarrelers since the latter can be buffed into much better shooters. Instead, they are much more useful as utility units that you use for your flanks. As Rare units, IMO the better option is the first one since super-poison is a powerful force multiplier against particularly dangerous enemies, with the rest of the Rare points being used for more killy units.

HOWEVER, I've written before that Bugman's Rangers have the stats of elite melee infantry, AP damage, and can both shoot very quickly and accurately. Belegar makes them even more powerful with additional melee damage and a range bonus, and I can vouch using all your Rare points for them in Belegar's army with the second skill line.

Grudge Throwers and Bolt Throwers (capped), Special (1pt); Cannon (capped), Special (2pts); Flame Cannons and Organ Guns, Rare (3pts)
+15% ammo, +20% reload rate, -15 leadership on hit VS +10% range, 25% ward save, Perfect Vigor

Big guns, you should always have them, and I daresay the first skill line is the better choice by far. Grudge Throwers and Cannons are the bread and butter of Dwarf armies, and are relevant all the way to the end. Cannons in C&C are pretty much sniper rifles at a high enough veterancy and enough buffs; they're so accurate that I've seen them take out enemy artillery pieces in just a few volleys, leaving the crew completely useless. I always take two Cannons and Grudge Throwers, they're that important.

The Flame Cannon, however, is a complete monster of an artillery unit. The vanilla Flame Cannon was a medium-range, rapid-fire Mortar that could shatter any infantry dumb enough to blob in its range; the C&C Flame Cannon is a Grudge Thrower with substantially stronger AoE damage (with AP) that still has a generous arc for lobbing into the rear of enemy blobs stuck on your melee units. It's well worth the 3 Rare points IMO: my toughest battle had it kill 500~ models from nearly 4k Greenskins, a fair number of which were Big 'Uns and Black Orcs.

I can't speak for Bolt Throwers and Organ Guns, unfortunately; I already have enough direct-fire units to manage.

Longbeards (+ Great Weapons, capped), Core
+20 armor, +16 Melee Defense, Unbreakable VS Fear, +10 vs. Large, -25 enemy armor on hit

Either skill is fantastic for Longbeards; it all depends on what you want them to do. With my armies using 4 Special points at minimum for Cannons (+2 for Grudge Throwers), that leaves 4/6 Special points for either Hammerers or Ironbreakers. Depending on which I pick, the rest of the melee line are either 1st skill shielded Longbeards or 2nd skill Great Weapon Longbeards.

Hammerers (capped), Special (2pts)
Guardian (IIRC nearby characters receive 25% ward save) , +18 Melee Defense, 25% ward save VS +40 Charge Bonus, +20 Melee Damage, -40% Melee Defense and -40% Melee Attack on hit

Like in SFO, Hammerers in C&C are truly the elite units they're supposed to be. It'll take serious AP damage to kill them off, and in the meantime they'll be wrecking face. That said, I prefer using Hammerers as anti-large or interceptors, so I like the 2nd skill line better. They're already resilient enough as it is, and so are Dwarf characters.

Irondrakes (+ Trollhammer Torpedoes, capped), Rare (2pts)
+30 armor, Unbreakable, Large Fatigue Reduction VS +15% reload rate, +25% ammo, -15 leadership on hit

Irondrakes in C&C have 130~ range (the projectiles don't reach that far, but the targeted area will still explode in fire) and do a lot more AP damage per projectile than their vanilla counterparts. The second option is the better one, though that said TBH I haven't seen my Irondrakes kill a lot of enemy models because the enemy pretty much breaks after 2 or 3 salvos. It's very strange, but I can't deny their effectiveness at routing blobs that get stuck on Lords and Thanes sitting out front of the gunline, as well as slaughtering Trolls and other flammable units. When I get a free Flame Cannon slot (fully upgraded Engineer's Hall, so it takes a while), I usually switch out my pair of Grudge Throwers for an Irondrake squad and Flame Cannon unit.

I can't comment on Trollhammers, but apparently they're underpowered :(

Ironbreakers, Special (2pts)
+25 armor, +20 Melee Defense, Superior Bugman's Brew (oneshot health regen when they reach half health) VS +150% ammo, magical attacks, +15 vs. Infantry

The ultimate tarpit, except they're also powerful melee units in their own right. Also they have bombs. I'd say the second skill is better because they're practically unkillable as it is, and more bombs, magic damage (which you do not have a lot of as a Dwarf), and an additional vs. Infantry bonus because gently caress everything lets them contribute to the killing instead of just doubling down on something they're already good at.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sadly I haven't used Slayers or Gyrocopters, but a quick look at them shows that Slayers are now a squad of elite badasses (and can be specced for magic damage), while Gyrocopters can either shoot or divebomb everything better.

It's great stuff, though I must admit that from my experience, even just sticking to Core and Special units will carry you stupidly far as a Dwarf player. Rare units are just gravy, and I'm guessing this was an issue in the tabletop game too since the Tabletop Unit Caps mod directly takes these classifications from it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

team overhead smash posted:

Yeah, you need the 30th anniversary regiments of renown DLC. Should be free.

Is it spelled "Regiments of Renown"? I'm not seeing it in steam search result or from clicking on the games <click here to get dlc> interface. Is it region limited?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

LLSix posted:

Is it spelled "Regiments of Renown"? I'm not seeing it in steam search result or from clicking on the games <click here to get dlc> interface. Is it region limited?

"30th Anniversary Regiments". Also it surely can't be region-limited, it's free.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

You need to get them from Total War Access. They're not on Steam.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 9 days!

toasterwarrior posted:

I'm having a shitload of fun with a Belegar campaign using Choice and Consequence plus Tabletop Unit Caps, and so I feel compelled to write some stuff up on what LuckySpade's done with the Dwarf roster and skill line (at least, for those units I ended up using).

Quick reference:

- C&C does away with the vanilla skill lines, and instead has skills corresponding to a unit type or so that instead gives them stats and/or abilities once they reach each of the veterancy thresholds (bronze, silver, gold chevrons). There's two skill choices per unit type that's exclusive to each other, generally making them a lot stronger in a specific capacity. In addition, some units are capped across factions, and require additional recruitment buildings a la Tomb Kings to recruit.

- Tabletop Unit Caps uses the Warhammer Fantasy Battle army books to assign each unit in the game to a rarity: Core, Special, Rare. Through scripting, each army can only recruit up to 10 points of Special units and 5 points of Rare units, while Core units are uncapped.

Warriors (+ Great Weapons), Core
+12 Melee Defense, +15 Armor, Immune to Psychology VS -15 enemy Armor on hit, Medium Vigor Loss Reduction, +10 vs. Infantry

A lot more resilient than their vanilla counterparts, the latter of which would bleed models steadily against Orc Boyz. Certainly good enough to last well into late game against any opponent, and with buffs I've had them do surprisingly well against stuff like Black Orcs, if by "surprisingly well" I more accurately mean "didn't get slaughtered immediately". Personally, I preferred the second skill line, since they were already very resilient for their price and tier, and the -15 enemy Armor let my crossbows hit even harder against the enemy.

Miners (+ Blasting Charges), Rare (1pt)
Stalk, Expert Charge Defense, +10 AP damage VS +35% replenishment, +5 vs. Infantry, Stubborn (become Unbreakable for sometime when about to rout)

Even with Copper Mountain increasing Miner experience on recruitment, I was not compelled to use them since Belegar made them so much more expensive for a unit that's inferior to Warriors. Even so, the Miners from garrisons I would use as ablative armor ended up being really good tarpits, so the other Lords probably could make much better use of them. That said, Stalk at bronze plus natural Vanguard is already a fantastic combo, and gives Dwarfs an anti-artillery option very early into the campaign. I did not get to use anything with Blasting Charges, but just looking at the unit card, I can assume that 326 or so damage will savage the gently caress out of any infantry unit unfortunate enough to get flanked by them.

Quarrelers (+ Great Weapons) and Thunderers (capped), Core
+10% range, +15% reload rate, Hawkish Precision VS +15 Armor, 15% Ward Save, Large Vigor Reduction

Somehow even more murderous than vanilla Dwarf ranged units. Obviously, the first skill choice is the superior one, with Hawkish Precision turning your Quarrelers into a potent threat against unshielded armored units and your Thunderers into complete nightmares against anything in their line of fire. On a related note, guns in C&C are much more powerful per shot and even inflict a penalty to shield blocking on hit, but also take much longer to reload. Either way, both are super important to Dwarf play at all stages of the game.

Rangers (+ Great Weapons) and Bugman's Rangers (capped), Rare (1pt)
Expert Charge Defense, Snipe, Agonizing Poison (poison but stronger penalties) VS +25% ammo, +12 melee damage, +20% reload reduction

In C&C, Rangers don't replace Quarrelers since the latter can be buffed into much better shooters. Instead, they are much more useful as utility units that you use for your flanks. As Rare units, IMO the better option is the first one since super-poison is a powerful force multiplier against particularly dangerous enemies, with the rest of the Rare points being used for more killy units.

HOWEVER, I've written before that Bugman's Rangers have the stats of elite melee infantry, AP damage, and can both shoot very quickly and accurately. Belegar makes them even more powerful with additional melee damage and a range bonus, and I can vouch using all your Rare points for them in Belegar's army with the second skill line.

Grudge Throwers and Bolt Throwers (capped), Special (1pt); Cannon (capped), Special (2pts); Flame Cannons and Organ Guns, Rare (3pts)
+15% ammo, +20% reload rate, -15 leadership on hit VS +10% range, 25% ward save, Perfect Vigor

Big guns, you should always have them, and I daresay the first skill line is the better choice by far. Grudge Throwers and Cannons are the bread and butter of Dwarf armies, and are relevant all the way to the end. Cannons in C&C are pretty much sniper rifles at a high enough veterancy and enough buffs; they're so accurate that I've seen them take out enemy artillery pieces in just a few volleys, leaving the crew completely useless. I always take two Cannons and Grudge Throwers, they're that important.

The Flame Cannon, however, is a complete monster of an artillery unit. The vanilla Flame Cannon was a medium-range, rapid-fire Mortar that could shatter any infantry dumb enough to blob in its range; the C&C Flame Cannon is a Grudge Thrower with substantially stronger AoE damage (with AP) that still has a generous arc for lobbing into the rear of enemy blobs stuck on your melee units. It's well worth the 3 Rare points IMO: my toughest battle had it kill 500~ models from nearly 4k Greenskins, a fair number of which were Big 'Uns and Black Orcs.

I can't speak for Bolt Throwers and Organ Guns, unfortunately; I already have enough direct-fire units to manage.

Longbeards (+ Great Weapons, capped), Core
+20 armor, +16 Melee Defense, Unbreakable VS Fear, +10 vs. Large, -25 enemy armor on hit

Either skill is fantastic for Longbeards; it all depends on what you want them to do. With my armies using 4 Special points at minimum for Cannons (+2 for Grudge Throwers), that leaves 4/6 Special points for either Hammerers or Ironbreakers. Depending on which I pick, the rest of the melee line are either 1st skill shielded Longbeards or 2nd skill Great Weapon Longbeards.

Hammerers (capped), Special (2pts)
Guardian (IIRC nearby characters receive 25% ward save) , +18 Melee Defense, 25% ward save VS +40 Charge Bonus, +20 Melee Damage, -40% Melee Defense and -40% Melee Attack on hit

Like in SFO, Hammerers in C&C are truly the elite units they're supposed to be. It'll take serious AP damage to kill them off, and in the meantime they'll be wrecking face. That said, I prefer using Hammerers as anti-large or interceptors, so I like the 2nd skill line better. They're already resilient enough as it is, and so are Dwarf characters.

Irondrakes (+ Trollhammer Torpedoes, capped), Rare (2pts)
+30 armor, Unbreakable, Large Fatigue Reduction VS +15% reload rate, +25% ammo, -15 leadership on hit

Irondrakes in C&C have 130~ range (the projectiles don't reach that far, but the targeted area will still explode in fire) and do a lot more AP damage per projectile than their vanilla counterparts. The second option is the better one, though that said TBH I haven't seen my Irondrakes kill a lot of enemy models because the enemy pretty much breaks after 2 or 3 salvos. It's very strange, but I can't deny their effectiveness at routing blobs that get stuck on Lords and Thanes sitting out front of the gunline, as well as slaughtering Trolls and other flammable units. When I get a free Flame Cannon slot (fully upgraded Engineer's Hall, so it takes a while), I usually switch out my pair of Grudge Throwers for an Irondrake squad and Flame Cannon unit.

I can't comment on Trollhammers, but apparently they're underpowered :(

Ironbreakers, Special (2pts)
+25 armor, +20 Melee Defense, Superior Bugman's Brew (oneshot health regen when they reach half health) VS +150% ammo, magical attacks, +15 vs. Infantry

The ultimate tarpit, except they're also powerful melee units in their own right. Also they have bombs. I'd say the second skill is better because they're practically unkillable as it is, and more bombs, magic damage (which you do not have a lot of as a Dwarf), and an additional vs. Infantry bonus because gently caress everything lets them contribute to the killing instead of just doubling down on something they're already good at.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sadly I haven't used Slayers or Gyrocopters, but a quick look at them shows that Slayers are now a squad of elite badasses (and can be specced for magic damage), while Gyrocopters can either shoot or divebomb everything better.

It's great stuff, though I must admit that from my experience, even just sticking to Core and Special units will carry you stupidly far as a Dwarf player. Rare units are just gravy, and I'm guessing this was an issue in the tabletop game too since the Tabletop Unit Caps mod directly takes these classifications from it.

Slayers getting magical damage is great, especially for Ungrim who will be fighting a lot of undead in his campaign. The enemies that typically have hefty melee resist tend to be big monsters Slayers are probably already fighting. You shouldn't neglect Gyrocopters either, because in C&C their bombs do TREMENDOUS damage compared to the stock game (this may have changed since I tried them last). Speccing them to fight better in melee isn't a terrible alternative choice either, because in a lot of the late game meatgrinders you almost always run out of ammo and are rear charging stuff with them anyway.