Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Fhistleb posted:

Lane splitting is great, until you have to do it for over 10 minutes then it becomes a chore. San Diego traffic kind of blows.

I lane split 30 minutes both ways for work. You know what's really a chore? Being in a car and taking 90 minutes to go 25 miles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Fauxtool posted:

I lane split 30 minutes both ways for work. You know what's really a chore? Being in a car and taking 90 minutes to go 25 miles.

It's hardly a strain on you though, is it. With adaptive cruise control, music and a cup of coffee, for some people it's the best time of their day.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Obviously this doesn’t apply everyone, but I drive a stick and commute in Seattle traffic every day and it’s hell. If it were legal/safe to split here I’d take it in a heartbeat over grinding away in stop and go traffic. Even if I had an automatic my time is far more valuable to me than any additional “comforts” of being in a car for that much longer.

It’s a lot nicer to have a long commute that isn’t a traffic nightmare like say back roads that just takes 45 minutes no matter the time of day. That’s where the comforts of a car could convince me on days of adverse weather.

Quite A Tool fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Aug 30, 2018

Fhistleb
Dec 31, 2008

Tell me more about your sandwiches.

Fauxtool posted:

There is no winning.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Ola posted:

It's hardly a strain on you though, is it. With adaptive cruise control, music and a cup of coffee, for some people it's the best time of their day.

I sit down all day at work, I don't want to be sat down for 2-3 hours on the road as well, I'd end up looking like some kind of hunchbacked gnome.

This is one reason I really liked the zzr, the somewhat sporty riding position did wonders to correct my posture after years of slouching in front of a computer.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Ola posted:

This reminds me, if your side stand doesn't automatically pop up, you can actually push it backwards while standing in front of it. It's not easy, but as long as you're careful about what you're doing it's not that bad either.

Another option is spinning the bike on the stand, grab tail from stand side, hold bars full lock and spin on the stand by pulling the rear around. Also a technique I use to lube my chain without a stand, bring the wheel up and kick it around a few times.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Now that I think about it, anyone I've heard say they love their car commute was also the parent of one or more young children. So it's a stress free, comfy cavern of very precious me-time.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Fanelien posted:

Another option is spinning the bike on the stand, grab tail from stand side, hold bars full lock and spin on the stand by pulling the rear around. Also a technique I use to lube my chain without a stand, bring the wheel up and kick it around a few times.

That is a very cool move, if the stand can take it. Someone had tried it on mine, and had bent the side stand mount outward. Which is better than on some Ducatis where it can, if rumours are to be belived, break a hole in the case.

Fanelien
Nov 23, 2003

Ola posted:

That is a very cool move, if the stand can take it. Someone had tried it on mine, and had bent the side stand mount outward. Which is better than on some Ducatis where it can, if rumours are to be belived, break a hole in the case.

I'd probably never do it with anything with the side stand mount built in to the engine case like Ducati, but my Honda and KTM it worked real well both being trellis frames. The look of shock on some faces when you do it though is half the fun. The "Whoah I never though of that" factor is pretty cool. A mate is a sales manager at the local dealer and taught me heaps about moving bikes in different ways to finagle them into places.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Anita Dickinme posted:

Come to VA. Same traffic as Cali at the tunnels because people get scared of going underground so they slam their breaks. You have to just sit there with your clutch hand cramping in the heat and hope your poo poo doesn’t explode in between your legs. I would kill to have lane splitting laws here.

Don't forget more people with guns to get upset when you split past them.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

I'm waiting for more states to finally allow lane splitting. It's so stupid how anti motorcycle the states are.

I feel they will ban motorcycles (due to self driving cars) before allowing lane splitting.

Fhistleb
Dec 31, 2008

Tell me more about your sandwiches.
I'll be honest, lanesplitting has made my life better and from when I got my bike a year ago I still have a smile on my face when you mount my Honda.

... I do want to buy an Africa Twin though.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Nothing makes me feel smugger and more self satisfied than splitting past a giant pile of stopped cars. Just yesterday some camo-patterned pickup truck hit a semi on a highway and plowed into the embankment on the side of the road at 90 degrees angle to the road. They had to use a tow truck with a small crane to get it off, blocking 3 of 4 lanes, including the exit lane which began about 1/2 a mile back. So all the folks who got into it now had to move all the way to the leftmost lane. Joyful, right? Traffic was stopped completely 2 miles back all the way back up a highway interchange by which I came. But I was on my sumo and only gave minimal fucks. This whole mess only took me ~7-10 minutes to navigate. I am sure some of the cars were stuck there for close to an hour if not more.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If traffic goes slow enough that clutching out at idle is too quick and I'm annoyed enough, I'll start splitting. Sometimes I get a honk, or an attempt to block. Worth it, though.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

I just split anyways, not like the police are going to pull me over/care/catch me 😎

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Slim Pickens posted:

If traffic goes slow enough that clutching out at idle is too quick and I'm annoyed enough, I'll start splitting. Sometimes I get a honk, or an attempt to block. Worth it, though.

I feel if I did that in my state, some self righteous citizen would take the law into his own hands and try to hit me.

People round here either love motorcycles or hate them to death.

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Slim Pickens posted:

A nice thing about doing this in Seattle is that SPD don’t seem to enforce any traffic laws. I do it pretty often.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Keegers posted:

I feel if I did that in my state, some self righteous citizen would take the law into his own hands and try to hit me.

Olds might bitch about bikes "weaving through traffic" but the vast majority of people here don't care about splitting bikes and some people will even move over to make more room when they see you :britain:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Keegers posted:

Was riding the shoulder one time cus fuckit and had a SUV try this. Just zoomed by and smashed their mirror. :smuggo:

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Had a German silver haired like ex-banker or some such block me on the autobahn once, BMW 5-series coupe, car about half his age. As I tried to split either side, he would millimeter-hug his line in order to block me. Gave me a terrible look in the mirror as well, wife seemed to shake her head as if this was a reoccurring family trauma. Finally a center layby gave me the chance, I blasted out left of left lane. His Prussian lane blocking didn't allow him to cross the line, I even managed to flip a throttle hand reverse bird while cutting back in front of him. It was like a scene from Battle of Britain. Should have painted him on my tank.

Strife
Apr 20, 2001

What the hell are YOU?
Not related to the splitting discussion, because I live in Massachusetts and nothing is legal here and conversations about it just make me envious, but what do you guys do with your helmets when you park?

I was having a conversation with a buddy recently about locking our helmets to our bikes. I generally just leave it on the handlebar or sissy bar unless I'm in an unscrupulous area, in which case I'll either use a lovely little Kryptonite lock or just carry it with me. My buddy brings his helmet with him everywhere, because he's paranoid someone will steal it. My theory is that people probably won't gently caress with a motorcycle. His rationale is that it would be super easy for someone to totally ruin his day, by putting him out a few hundred bucks and making it so he can't ride his bike home, so people are more likely.

So - ever had your helmet stolen?

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

Strife posted:

Not related to the splitting discussion, because I live in Massachusetts and nothing is legal here and conversations about it just make me envious, but what do you guys do with your helmets when you park?

I was having a conversation with a buddy recently about locking our helmets to our bikes. I generally just leave it on the handlebar or sissy bar unless I'm in an unscrupulous area, in which case I'll either use a lovely little Kryptonite lock or just carry it with me. My buddy brings his helmet with him everywhere, because he's paranoid someone will steal it. My theory is that people probably won't gently caress with a motorcycle. His rationale is that it would be super easy for someone to totally ruin his day, by putting him out a few hundred bucks and making it so he can't ride his bike home, so people are more likely.

I only leave my helmet on the bike when making scenic stops, where the bike will be within my field of view. Otherwise, I either keep it on for short errands or take it off and stuff it in the top case or take it with me.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

A nice thing about doing this in Seattle is that SPD don’t seem to enforce any traffic laws. I do it pretty often.

The lanes are just so goddamn small and people aren’t paying attention as it is. I’ll squeeze through a smaller backup but commuting I just take the Fiesta.

I’d split all the time in Phoenix, it just seems way sketchier here.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Ola posted:

Had a German silver haired like ex-banker or some such block me on the autobahn once, BMW 5-series coupe, car about half his age. As I tried to split either side, he would millimeter-hug his line in order to block me. Gave me a terrible look in the mirror as well, wife seemed to shake her head as if this was a reoccurring family trauma. Finally a center layby gave me the chance, I blasted out left of left lane. His Prussian lane blocking didn't allow him to cross the line, I even managed to flip a throttle hand reverse bird while cutting back in front of him. It was like a scene from Battle of Britain. Should have painted him on my tank.

Had a similar silver haired oval office in a Cadillac try a similar maneuver on the Gardiner expressway in Toronto in heavy traffic once. I could see it coming a mile away, his beady stinkeye in the wing mirror glaring at me as he inched to the edge of his lane. Except, dumbfuck, now you've made your move and this ain't my first rodeo, so I just went around him on the other side. Of course splitting isn't legal in Canada, but gently caress that guy anyway. Most people seemed to be pretty chill/oblivious about it. You do get a few homicidal sociopaths though.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Strife posted:

Your buddy is absolutely correct and you are a lunatic for leaving your helmet on the bike like that. People might not steal it, but many would absolutely gently caress with it. Maybe they won't in your case, but how could you know for sure.

I don't even like other people to touch or hold my helmet, because that's the only thing I wear that stands between me and certain death in a crash.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42
Helmet goes with me wherever I go. The mild inconvenience of dragging it around with me is significantly overshadowed by the safety/financial aspects of it.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Strife posted:

I work in the shittiest neighborhood in the city and I lock my helmet to my bars. No one has ever messed with mine or anyone else’s bikes. Granted there’s like fifty people who ride so there’s usually constantly at least one biker out there walking by or something that would look out for the rest of us. I also literally live five minutes away from work and I could technically walk so it’s not a big deal if someone fucks with my poo poo because I have five more helmets at home. :shrug: It’s your call dude.

Coydog posted:

Your buddy is absolutely correct and you are a lunatic for leaving your helmet on the bike like that. People might not steal it, but many would absolutely gently caress with it. Maybe they won't in your case, but how could you know for sure.

I don't even like other people to touch or hold my helmet, because that's the only thing I wear that stands between me and certain death in a crash.

I just yelled at my friend the other day for touching my helmet and she said she’s never seen me so serious in her life.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Strife posted:

For me it's totally situational. At a movie or concert where there's no place to put it inside? Lock it on the bike, since I'm likely parked on a side street anyway.

Going to a bar or restaurant to hang out for a couple of hours? Bring it inside, since there likely going to be room.

Never had one stolen. I don't think the vast majority of people give a poo poo to go around loving with random bieks. All depends on where you are too.

Quite A Tool
Jul 4, 2004

The answer is... 42

Anita Dickinme posted:

I work in the shittiest neighborhood in the city and I lock my helmet to my bars.....

I just yelled at my friend the other day for touching my helmet and she said she’s never seen me so serious in her life.

I don’t follow the logic here. Fine with leaving helmet out in a lovely neighborhood but friend touches your helmet and you lose your poo poo?

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Renaissance Robot posted:

Olds might bitch about bikes "weaving through traffic" but the vast majority of people here don't care about splitting bikes and some people will even move over to make more room when they see you :britain:

Yeah people in london seemed to be pretty chill about driving near motorcycles, was nice to see.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Quite A Tool posted:

I don’t follow the logic here. Fine with leaving helmet out in a lovely neighborhood but friend touches your helmet and you lose your poo poo?

If someone touches my helmet on my bike I will lose my poo poo on them too. But like, I’ve never had a problem with some random person messing with my stuff.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
that's a weird reaction but ok

i don't leave my helmet on my bike because people like to cut the straps or dump poo poo into them

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I don't leave my helmet on the bike because yeah, sure, 99% of the time probably no one would gently caress with it, but it only takes one rear end in a top hat with a hate-on for motorcyclists to ruin your day and leave you stuck miles away from home and cost you hundreds of dollars. In the past I've found late night drunks trying to sit on my motorcycle, had a red slurpee dumped all over the seat, found a condom tied to the mirror. So I would not be too surprised if I left my helmet outside regularly and one day found it had been stolen/cut up/pissed in. People are lovely.

On the flip side, I've never had anyone hassle me about bringing my motorcycle gear into a restaurant or whatever and leaving it on the windowsill etc, so I just do that

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Just throwin this out there but you can ride the bike home without a helmet.

Where I live riders wearing gear is rare, tho becoming less rare, but still rare. So I've always left all my gear unlocked on the bike. Never had an issue.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

The one time I rode without a helmet it was to diagnose a guy's bike, his helmet was too small for my head but I did it anyway cause all I needed to do was go up and down his street at low speed. I got a ticket.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

nsaP posted:

Just throwin this out there but you can ride the bike home without a helmet.

Where I live riders wearing gear is rare, tho becoming less rare, but still rare. So I've always left all my gear unlocked on the bike. Never had an issue.

I think if I tried to ride without a helmet it would be like that scene in Tommy Boy where they get pulled over for driving 7 in a 65 when the nitrous tank leaks into the car.

Redvenom
Jun 17, 2003
I also owe BunnyX :10Bux:

Razzled posted:

Yeah people in london seemed to be pretty chill about driving near motorcycles, was nice to see.

This is the truth. Riding in London is great.

The passing of laws allowing lane splitting where I now live was one of my triggers for getting a bike again after numerous years away - that said the traffic here isn't anywhere near London scale, so would've probably been ok anyway.

Also never leave anything you don't want nicked or pissed in on your bike when it's out of sight. This goes for helmets, panniers, gadgets, etc.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
If I'm just popping in the shops for a few minutes then I'll attach it to the luggage rack, although the Sena gets disconnected and goes in my pocket.

If I'll be away for more than half an hour I take the helmet with me. If I'm walking around and need my hands I'll clip it through my belt or the waist strap at the bottom of my jacket.

It'll go in the top case when I get one. Thinking about one of those expanding Shad ones since I'm going shopping two-up on the regular.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
This is why I don't ride to concerts. gently caress coat check and all that nonsense.

I guess if I had locking saddlebags it would be easier. Hmmm...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

captainOrbital posted:

This is why I don't ride to concerts. gently caress coat check and all that nonsense.

I guess if I had locking saddlebags it would be easier. Hmmm...

Potential new nc700x owner spotted.