Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

Also the one time I brought a motion to quash a subpoena, I won and it was freakin’ sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

yronic heroism posted:

Also the one time I brought a motion to quash a subpoena, I won and it was freakin’ sweet.

one of the more fun litigation things i've done was repeatedly giving the other side the middle finger when they tried to subpoena my foreign client with no us presence, and then trying to not call them morons when they asked if i would accept service of the subpoena on my client's behalf

no, i think we're going to force you to jump through a year's worth of legal hoops and show up in an unfriendly court half a globe away rather than spend a lot of money to assist you in a frivolous claim, sorry buddy

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Not subpoena related but instead process service, but it was hilarious when people would come to court, quash, leave the court room and then run away from the waiting process server in the hall only to realize they had to wait for an elevator and had nowhere to go

One attorney even asked the judge if his client could go through chambers and use the judicial elevator , which didn't go over well

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

ActusRhesus posted:

I just got a subpoena.

From opposing counsel.

I had opposing counsel do that to me on a case I second chaired. Never went anywhere, it was just part of his huffing and puffing before he got loving reamed by the judge.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Eminent Domain posted:

I had opposing counsel do that to me on a case I second chaired. Never went anywhere, it was just part of his huffing and puffing before he got loving reamed by the judge.

I imagine that will be happening here too. As I have been directed to bring the documents (for which I am not even keeper of the records) to a cattle call status conference docket and the new presiding has already made clear that there is a new sheriff in town.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Valentin posted:

hi law thread. if I've accepted an offer from my 2L summer job, is my only remaining goal to take the easiest classes possible and coast through 3L? or is it actually worthwhile to take black-letter law classes?

Take what you want to take. Want to learn more about your broader (putative) practice area? Take some high-level courses in related fields. Do you enjoy actual academic study? You can find some classes that involve real research and writing, if that floats your boat (this may be your last real chance to do that sort of thing for a very long time). Want to maximize your grades and/or minimize your stress? Take the easiest courses you can find. Or mix and match.

I wouldn't worry too much about bar prep in class selection, but I found that courses like Evidence were actually helpful in that regard. Your mileage may vary.

As a personal recommendation that goes a bit against the consensus 3L courseload, I found the Income Tax course to be very helpful both inside and outside of my actual practice.

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

Valentin posted:

hi law thread. if I've accepted an offer from my 2L summer job, is my only remaining goal to take the easiest classes possible and coast through 3L? or is it actually worthwhile to take black-letter law classes?

While this hopefully won't come up, the classes of 2002-03 and 08-10 got absolutely reamed by firms revoking offers and firing first years. In the normal years no one cares what your 3L grades are ever again, but if you're in the middle of the pack you should still care about them a little just for recession insurance.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
In the cells and officer tells me "yeah so... your client blew .17 like 2 hours ago so you might need to wait to get instructions."

Lol.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

Vox Nihili posted:

Take what you want to take. Want to learn more about your broader (putative) practice area? Take some high-level courses in related fields. Do you enjoy actual academic study? You can find some classes that involve real research and writing, if that floats your boat (this may be your last real chance to do that sort of thing for a very long time). Want to maximize your grades and/or minimize your stress? Take the easiest courses you can find. Or mix and match.

I wouldn't worry too much about bar prep in class selection, but I found that courses like Evidence were actually helpful in that regard. Your mileage may vary.

As a personal recommendation that goes a bit against the consensus 3L courseload, I found the Income Tax course to be very helpful both inside and outside of my actual practice.
Secured transactions was my favorite law school class (ok, second favorite)

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I just filed suit against both a lawyer and his client for a Fair Housing violation because the client was in a position where they could make a plausible claim that the lawyer committed the violation (chewing out the chief of medicine at the VA for recommending a support dog) without the client’s authorization.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

gvibes posted:

Secured transactions was my favorite law school class (ok, second favorite)

I'll second that secured trans was the class that ended up being most useful despite not directly in my practice area. It's also not especially difficult, and I think it was on the bar (honestly can't remember though).

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.
Income tax was my most useful law school class. It was weirdly a required course.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

echopapa posted:

I just filed suit against both a lawyer and his client for a Fair Housing violation because the client was in a position where they could make a plausible claim that the lawyer committed the violation (chewing out the chief of medicine at the VA for recommending a support dog) without the client’s authorization.

The only way that could be better is if the dog was deposed.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
I had an attorney subpoena me to try forcing my judge to disqualify.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

ActusRhesus posted:

Well that I can see.

Opposing counsel though.

Opposing counsel.

Counsel or councel though? If you are councel, all bets are off.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.
I was subpoenaed two weeks ago to testify against my client.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Nice piece of fish posted:

That already looks gorgeous. Do you have a natural stream running through your property? That has amazing potential.

Sort of.

The lot had a slight downhill grade, downhill side facing the ocean. So the plan was to build a 3-storey place into the side of the hill, with the first floor being largely underground, as a separate apartment. We started digging, and the contractor calls me and says 'big problem' - I go there, and while it was nice to see that the dig was into solid rock instead of mushy clay, for land stability reasons, the rock was seeping water - not 100% sure still if it's a natural spring, or if it's a leak from a reservoir atop the hill nearby. Either way, it meant a 6-month delay while we redid the plans, pushed the house out 8-10 ft from the wall, and had to retest the soil at the new far points. So a beautiful but costly find.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
every time my jealousy for Abugadu threatens to overwhelm me I just google "guam spiders" and I'm right as rain

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Soothing Vapors posted:

every time my jealousy for Abugadu threatens to overwhelm me I just google "guam spiders" and I'm right as rain

there aren't really any venomous spiders there, though. it's not like you're dealing with aussie redbacks or anything.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Soothing Vapors posted:

Have I got a book for you.

Hoshi
Jan 20, 2013

:wrongcity:
Hey island experts, anything super scary I should know about in Bermuda?

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Mr. Nice! posted:

there aren't really any venomous spiders there, though. it's not like you're dealing with aussie redbacks or anything.
let me have this mister nice. let me have this
that guy looks exactly like I would expect a guy who was gonna write a book about postapocalyptic futurespiders would look

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
I see a full size huntsman maybe once every two or three years, baby sized ones maybe once every six-eight months. Orb spiders don’t even register for me since I sprint face first through their webs at full speed every weekend, and I’m fairly arachnophobic.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Hoshi posted:

My 5th grade teacher said she lived there for awhile and there were foot-long centipedes, mildly venomous.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)

This was actually really good.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Soothing Vapors posted:

let me have this mister nice. let me have this

I'm just saying there are plenty of reasons to pick on Guam besides making something up in your mind about dangerous spiders. I mean ask him how his teeth look since he's undoubtably addicted to betlenut at this point.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

I'm just saying there are plenty of reasons to pick on Guam besides making something up in your mind about dangerous spiders. I mean ask him how his teeth look since he's undoubtably addicted to betlenut at this point.

One of the partners at the firm I worked with had a big betel nut addiction from the years he worked in Palau, and good lord were his teeth a wreck.

The stains were one thing, the gum damage from the lime mix was another. The rock lime, not the fruit lime.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Harbor pilot in Palau back in 2011 was chomping on some the entire time he was in the pilothouse. He offered our skipper some, but he politely declined.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Soothing Vapors posted:

Also guam could capsize into the ocean any day now.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v7XXVLKWd3Q

You could be the one person too many that the Congressman fears.

Also. The pacific has terrifying spiders. I found a huge rear end spider in my house in Japan. Kinda wanted to just turn over the keys and be all “your house now 8 legged friend.”

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

gvibes posted:

This was actually really good.

I enjoyed it a ton. Its no Three Body Problem, but not much is - straight up modern classic.

Toona the Cat
Jun 9, 2004

The Greatest

ActusRhesus posted:

Also. The pacific has terrifying spiders. I found a huge rear end spider in my house in Japan. Kinda wanted to just turn over the keys and be all “your house now 8 legged friend.”

Dear god yes. I was stationed at Misawa for 3 years and it was nothing but snow, spiders, and drunk fishermen.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Toona the Cat posted:

Dear god yes. I was stationed at Misawa for 3 years and it was nothing but snow, spiders, and drunk fishermen.

But did you go to Turtle Sushi?

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
All due respect to the Japanese Monster Spiders, but that goddamn Japanese Giant Hornet is that the Discovery Channel keeps telling me about is way scarier.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
A twist of fate, ships passing in the night, the year is 2003 and Toona looks across an empty glass of sake to the other corner of a ramen booth. Looking back is a bright-eyed young JAG, going over the print-out of her latest Dark Elf Character sheet.

R. Kelly's Ignition(Remix) curls out of the Aiwa speakers...

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Dude. I wasn’t even in law school yet. How loving old do you think I am?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Toona isn't old enough for that to work either, I don't think. I'm still able to enjoy the story.

Pretty sure most goons were born in 83-86 anyways. There are a few exceptions and some goons that started later, but if you've been posting since the early 00s, you're probably in your mid-30s.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

ActusRhesus posted:

Dude. I wasn’t even in law school yet. How loving old do you think I am?

So you weren't in Law School when you met Toona on those distant shores?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

blarzgh posted:

So you weren't in Law School when you met Toona on those distant shores?

Pretty sure AR graduated high school in 01 since she's a year older than me. She would have still been a plucky undergrad in 2003.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

Pretty sure AR graduated high school in 01 since she's a year older than me. She would have still been a plucky undergrad in 2003.

Lets try to not me so committed to the "facts" that we ignore the "truth."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Hoshi posted:

Hurricanes.