Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
There are plenty of Metallica fans dumb enough to believe it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

There is no level on which I don't hate this

s.i.r.e. posted:

Wow, that's another level of dumb. My tone booze.

Tone booze is what I jokingly call the glass of whiskey I put on my amp sometimes when I'm playing and drinking :v:

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

I'm desperately trying to think of a bee + foot pun that explains this monstrosity but it's gonna turn out to be some hosed up fetish, isn't it?

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

whiter than a Wilco show posted:

I'm desperately trying to think of a bee + foot pun that explains this monstrosity but it's gonna turn out to be some hosed up fetish, isn't it?

Beegfoot!

But probably.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Bumblefoot?

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
I confused myself for a second thinking it was Bumblefoot's actual guitar and wondering "wtf is that bridge" but it's a ceramic replica, which is honestly even more confusing. Who made this and why?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

quote:

"We are obviously not just slapping a Metallica label on a pre-existing mediocre whiskey," the band said in the statement, citing "several years of work" on "every detail" of the spirit.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Anime Reference posted:

This is music poo poo that was too stupid to exist rather than actual stupid music poo poo but I've always wondered why between the vinyl revival and the cassette revival nobody seemed to be enough of a hipster to attempt an 8-track revival. I honestly think it'd be kind of a fun gimmick for a stoner band.

the cassette revival wasn't really a revival as such because cassettes were always pretty popular in most of the diy scenes that they're used in anyway

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

s.i.r.e. posted:

Wow, that's another level of dumb. My tone booze.

tone booze is nothing new

these guys made a beer by blasting wu-tang at top volume for two weeks during fermentation

I am Otis
Sep 22, 2003

Shugojin posted:

Tone booze is

when the drummer's dog knocks beers both into your amp and onto your pedals

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I like the part where they said they literally play Metallica music at the barrels to make it better... somehow.

I was at least expecting a Jack Daniels-type bottle and but with a Metallica logo on the label. That actually might be cool to stick on a studio shelf or something for decoration.

The whole thing is retarded. Still a better business decision than St. Anger though.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

The Muppets On PCP posted:

tone booze is nothing new

these guys made a beer by blasting wu-tang at top volume for two weeks during fermentation

It's funny, you ever have one of those moments where you have a REALLY good idea but you come to find that someone has beaten you to the punch on that?

I guess the same applies to really dumb poo poo, Metallica probably thought they were innovators in the tone booze game.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I dunno. I feel like you could salvage St. Anger by re-editing the drums to sound less like robot flatulence. Or, y'know, getting Lars to just stick to the business side of things, kinda like with Angela Gossow and Arch Enemy.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

s.i.r.e. posted:

It's funny, you ever have one of those moments where you have a REALLY good idea but you come to find that someone has beaten you to the punch on that?

I guess the same applies to really dumb poo poo, Metallica probably thought they were innovators in the tone booze game.
Y'know how it is when it comes to Wu-Tang...

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Jason newsted should just re-record his tracks and release them so you play it over the album like RiffTrax.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Wark Say posted:

I dunno. I feel like you could salvage St. Anger by re-editing the drums to sound less like robot flatulence. Or, y'know, getting Lars to just stick to the business side of things, kinda like with Angela Gossow and Arch Enemy.

they made a dvd of them playing the whole album with a normal snare and it still sucks

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Shugojin posted:

There is no level on which I don't hate this

Tone booze is what I jokingly call the glass of whiskey I put on my amp sometimes when I'm playing and drinking :v:

i was playing and drinking last week and now I need a new Midi Controller.

gently caress.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Snowy posted:

Jason newsted should just re-record his tracks and release them so you play it over the album like RiffTrax.

Lol what tracks.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

quote:

"We are obviously not just slapping a Metallica label on a pre-existing mediocre whiskey," the band said in the statement, citing "several years of work" on "every detail" of the spirit.

Obviously. Obviously.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Actuary X posted:

Obviously. Obviously.

The whiskey itself is a blend of bourbons, ryes and other whiskeys that end up in black brandy barrels during its final stages. From there, a proprietary subwoofer amplifies low notes in the band's recordings to apparently "shape" the flavor.

See, they throw all their spare booze in black barrels -- that didn't exist before.

mweber
Dec 24, 2003
Aren’t Hetfield and Hammett both sober now?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yup. Hell, I think they went through divorces before the memo stuck.

Ruflux
Jun 16, 2012

I was just about to post that, given I just read about Hammett revealing he's been off the booze for quite a few years now. Seems kind of a weird product placement thing to me. Metallica's management has been pretty public recently about making as much money as possible wherever they can and I think that's probably related to the disastrous movie and festival ventures of years past, and this definitely feels like something that's stemming from that sort of "make more money" attitude.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
The Antarctica movie + Orion Fes, right? I remember they complained that they lost like millions between both.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I'm convinced that Metallica's #1 misstep over the last 10-15 years, by far, is that they've used producers who sucked at making them sound good.

Say what you want about Metallica's musical direction changes during the 90's but Bob Rock was the best thing that ever happened to the band. Obviously St Anger sounded like dog poo poo but the Black Album, Load, Reload, and Garage Inc. are some of the best sounding Rock records ever produced. By contrast, whoever produced Death Magnetic and Hardwired made the guitars sound harsh and thin, and made Jame's voice way too dry. Sounds like poo poo.

Granted, James doesn't write riffs as powerful as he used to, and his voice isn't what it used to be either, but I don't think he's fallen so far that excellent production couldn't make him and the band sound awesome again.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Greg Fidelman and Andrew Scheps. According to Ted Jensen, when he was getting ready to start mastering, the final mixes were already brick-walled to poo poo

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I think Hardwired sounded really good personally.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

GreatGreen posted:

I'm convinced that Metallica's #1 misstep over the last 10-15 years, by far, is that they've used producers who sucked at making them sound good.

nah i'm pretty sure it's being a position where they don't have to care about writing good music. or writing at all really

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Didn't Kirk lost like... what, 2 albums' worth of riff ideas by losing his iPhone before the hardwired sessions began?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
that was his claim yeah

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

I thought Hardwired was ok but I dont generally like metallica so my expectations were rock bottom to begin with.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Hardwired was a nice surprise because it was their best album in many years, but it's not even in their top 5.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Metallica has always been terrible sorry not sorry aayyy.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Wait so there’s Cliff era remastered with extra Cliff?

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
not really. they just bumped the midrange and brickwalled the first three albums

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Metallica can do whatever dumb poo poo they want because they wrote Ride the Lightning and no band has come close to those riffs and that energy ever.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

GreatGreen posted:

Say what you want about Metallica's musical direction changes during the 90's but Bob Rock was the best thing that ever happened to the band. Obviously St Anger sounded like dog poo poo but the Black Album, Load, Reload, and Garage Inc. are some of the best sounding Rock records ever produced. By contrast, whoever produced Death Magnetic and Hardwired made the guitars sound harsh and thin, and made Jame's voice way too dry. Sounds like poo poo.

Granted, James doesn't write riffs as powerful as he used to, and his voice isn't what it used to be either, but I don't think he's fallen so far that excellent production couldn't make him and the band sound awesome again.

their biggest misstep is actually that they're talentless clowns who make stupid music

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Hardwired was a nice surprise because it was their best album in many years, but it's not even in their top 5.

This is pretty accurate.

My favorite Metallica product will still forever be the “Some Kind Of Monster” movie. It really showed the dangers of having too much money, and makes you feel sorry for Kirk who seems tired of the enormous egos and drama and just wants to play in a band and noodle on his guitar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE
Lotta ‘takin’ Metallica seriously’ ITT