Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Almost Blue posted:

You said "space" and "vampires" yet I do not see Lifeforce on that list.

More importantly, he put Battle Beyond the Stars on it. BBtS isn't horror, it's a space remake of the Magnificent Seven (with Robert Vaughn reprising his role, no less) made by Corman to cash in on Star Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Lifeforce drags in the middle for like 15-20 minutes, sometimes people get to that part and have a hard time staying engaged. It sure as hell picks back up though and some of the more insane stuff is in that last third so it's worth pushing through.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
I found Lifeforce riveting the whole way through, but dif' strokes I guess.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Lifeforce was great, but it had a super oldschool vibe to it—which I loved but understand that it might turn others off. Felt more like a 50s monster b-movie than it did any of its contemporaries. That ending almost rivals the original cut ending of Little Shop of Horrors for gigantic, elevated 50s monster movie mayhem.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Speaking of space horror, how is Galaxy of Horrors? (not to be confused with Galaxy of Terror)

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Basebf555 posted:

Lifeforce drags in the middle for like 15-20 minutes, sometimes people get to that part and have a hard time staying engaged. It sure as hell picks back up though and some of the more insane stuff is in that last third so it's worth pushing through.

Interestingly the shorter cut of the movie we initially got for years fixes this up a bit. It was heavily edited for pacing reasons and not for content.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Basebf555 posted:

You are mostly correct, although they don't use that term in the movie. But the behavior of the satancopter fits with what you describe. In the world of the film however, the knowledge of how to make one(they call them kratts) is common to most people in the village and multiple people have kratts that help them out with various tasks.

Heh I just extrapolated from the folklore of my native land. Nice to see the Estonians have something similar.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Halloween Jack posted:

So I didn't find a lot of space horror I haven't already seen to add to my list, but I took my wife on a trailer-watching binge last night so:

Dead End Drive In
Waxwork
Sundown: The Vampire in Retreat
God Told Me To
Battle Beyond the Stars
Galaxy of Terror
Forbidden World
Creature
Sunshine
Europa Report
Kiss of the Damned
Midnight Son
Outpost
The Void

...are all on our watchlist now. The theme is, uh, "Mostly space and vampires" and yes I've already seen Planet of the Vampires and no I will not watch Queen of Blood because I can't take that hairdo seriously.

Supernova?

Like it’s not good...

But...

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Halloween Jack posted:

So I didn't find a lot of space horror I haven't already seen to add to my list, but I took my wife on a trailer-watching binge last night so:

Dead End Drive In
Waxwork
Sundown: The Vampire in Retreat
God Told Me To
Battle Beyond the Stars
Galaxy of Terror
Forbidden World
Creature
Sunshine
Europa Report
Kiss of the Damned
Midnight Son
Outpost
The Void

...are all on our watchlist now. The theme is, uh, "Mostly space and vampires" and yes I've already seen Planet of the Vampires and no I will not watch Queen of Blood because I can't take that hairdo seriously.

Quartermass and the Pit kind of I feel counts

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've noticed this thing with late 90s movies where I can't tell if the movie is going to be bad, or if it's just the trailer that insists on cutting everything to poo poo and setting it to techno. But we decided it would be lovably bad, if it's bad, and James Spader is in it.

Is Creepozoids any good?

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Oh, well, that's all water under the bridge, as I always say. Water under the bridge!

Halloween Jack posted:

I've noticed this thing with late 90s movies where I can't tell if the movie is going to be bad, or if it's just the trailer that insists on cutting everything to poo poo and setting it to techno. But we decided it would be lovably bad, if it's bad, and James Spader is in it.

Is Creepozoids any good?

The trailer for Supernova is like, one of the misleading trailers I’ve ever seen.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Hollismason posted:

Quartermass and the Pit kind of I feel counts

Even if it doesn't, watch Quatermass and the Pit anyway, it's extremely good.

Also, I said Quartermass for years too until I was searching for it on some website or something and I figured out the reason I couldn't find it is because it's actually Quatermass.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.

Basebf555 posted:

Even if it doesn't, watch Quatermass and the Pit anyway, it's extremely good.

Also, I said Quartermass for years too until I was searching for it on some website or something and I figured out the reason I couldn't find it is because it's actually Quatermass.

I made a Letterboxd list of movies I plan on watching for Halloween season and I was so confused why I couldn’t find Quartermass Experiment in their database.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

If u blast urself into space any horror movie u watch in space is a space horror movie

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I still have to watch the other Quartermass stuff.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Kvlt! posted:

If u blast urself into space any horror movie u watch in space is a space horror movie

You might say that each and every one of us is a crewmember here on 'spaceship earth'.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/BDisgusting/status/1035217542808330240

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Imagine being stuck on Spaceship Earth with no way off it. :gonk:
What a boring theme park ride!

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

Do you know anything about...
witches?

Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

You might say that each and every one of us is a crewmember here on 'spaceship earth'.

when would you say that?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

gey muckle mowser posted:

when would you say that?

Anytime...Dinner...Literally anytime.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Franchescanado posted:

Anytime...Dinner...Literally anytime.

:love:

unrelated, is someone planning on starting an October Horror Challenge thread? I've been doing one on my own for 10 years now and often start in September.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
When you high as Jason's titties. That's when you say that.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

gey muckle mowser posted:

:love:

unrelated, is someone planning on starting an October Horror Challenge thread? I've been doing one on my own for 10 years now and often start in September.

Yes. Expect it to pop up around September 15th.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I'll likely start watching right when the thread starts. I've got 31 movies to get through. I've got a full time job, a wife and a 3 year old, plus my wife's having a baby in about a week. But horror is more important than all of that.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
I'm doing a selection of movies from every decade from the 30's through the 2010's, so yea I'm gonna need those last two weeks in September or I've got no chance of finishing.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord
I was unemployed last October so I burned through like 40 movies no problem, but this year I'm going on a business trip in October and also taking a weekend vacation so I have to start early if I want to get to 31 by Halloween

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Lmao at the posers in this thread having "challenge months" and not already spending all their time watching horror movies so that its physically impossibly for them to watch more than they alresdy do

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Halloween Jack posted:

The theme is, uh, "Mostly space and vampires" and yes I've already seen Planet of the Vampires and no I will not watch Queen of Blood because I can't take that hairdo seriously.

Last Days On Mars is pretty much space vampires. You should also include Soderbergh's Solaris, The Quatermass Xperiment, Moontrap, The Green Slime, and Crawl Or Die.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Kvlt! posted:

Lmao at the posers in this thread having "challenge months" and not already spending all their time watching horror movies so that its physically impossibly for them to watch more than they alresdy do

same same

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Last year someone who shall remain nameless was on Discord every night like multiple times a night all throughout August and September talking about all the horror movies he was watching. What do you know, October rolled around he was like "oh, I'm just a little burned out on horror". We can learn from his mistakes.

gey muckle mowser
Aug 5, 2003

witches?

Buglord

Basebf555 posted:

Last year someone who shall remain nameless was on Discord every night like multiple times a night all throughout August and September talking about all the horror movies he was watching. What do you know, October rolled around he was like "oh, I'm just a little burned out on horror". We can learn from his mistakes.

I've intentionally avoided horror this whole past month (well, except Castle Rock) for this reason. By November I do get burnt out though, so I usually spend that month catching up on other stuff I've missed from the year.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I've been intentionally watching comedies, classics, action movies and short films for the past few weeks. The only horror I've really been watching is for my horror movie nights I've been doing all summer.

Speaking of which, this Sunday I'm finally showing them In The Mouth of Madness, and I'm incredibly excited. I bought the new special edition blu-ray and everything.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Basebf555 posted:

Don't doxx me bro

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

I'm just so tired of all these horrors.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

Plankton aka Creatures from the Abyss aka Piranha 4 was great. I went in expecting nothing at all, but what I got was an ultra cheesy Italian version of the Thing on a boat except with a horny mutant fishman virus.

Windows 98
Nov 13, 2005

HTTP 400: Bad post
Don’t forget to add this to your space vampire list

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Tolkien minority posted:

Plankton aka Creatures from the Abyss aka Piranha 4 was great. I went in expecting nothing at all, but what I got was an ultra cheesy Italian version of the Thing on a boat except with a horny mutant fishman virus.

Sold.

Tart Kitty
Dec 17, 2016

Samuel Clemens posted:

I'm just so tired of all these horrors.

Excuse me sir, the technical term is “spook-a-doodles.”

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Cannibal Holocaust is one of the best spook a doodles

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Aug 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011