Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

uggy posted:

Would faithless looting with jumpstart instead of flashback be better or worse?

If it had the existing casting cost, meaning jumpstart would be R, then possibly better? The kind of deck that wants FL is trying to get stuff in the grave, so having it act like a pseudo-Bazaar of Baghdad doesn't seem bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

uggy posted:

Same base cost

right. difficult to answer. turn-2 combo decks would probably prefer jumpstart

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.
All of this discarding makes me like Fell Specter as a sideboard option in my casual Red Black value deck. Wonder if the Rakdos mechanic will interact on that axis?

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Ya, I mean there's a lot to it but I think it's a fun thought exercise in terms of strength of the mechanic.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

uggy posted:

Same base cost

I think it would see play along side Faithless Looting, Pyromancer would love to have more than 4.

Edit: how does 1R for Discard a card, draw 2 cards sound? So you'd discard 2 cards when jumpstarting. Maybe too confusing to have one discard on the card text and another from the keyword

BizarroAzrael fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Aug 30, 2018

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

The Lord of Hats posted:

Because the mechanic is weaker, they'll (theoretically) be able to be more aggressive about what they put it on. Like, the one flashback counterspell that exists is five mana on the front, seven on flashback. With Jumpstart you could cost it at three or four, and now as long as it's in your graveyard all of your cards are effectively split cards.

Or chainer's edict for CMC 2 or 3

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
I want to know what Jumpstart card is gonna break Dredge in Vintage/Legacy/Modern.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
The Dimir mechanic looks dope and I hope they start doing a lot of stuff with that design. Putting Surveil on a 1 mana cantrip or some sort of glimmer of genius style card could lead to some very powerful things.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.

Hellsau posted:

I want to know what Jumpstart card is gonna break Dredge in Vintage/Legacy/Modern.

This is what will happen. There’ll be a 1-mana jump start card that will enable a turn-2 combo.

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

Hellsau posted:

I could definitely see that mechanic putting Vengevine/Hollow One decks over the top.

Hollow One is hilarious to me because it wasn't ever even a consideration for standard play.

Marketing New Brain fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Aug 30, 2018

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Marketing New Brain posted:

I could definitely see that mechanic putting Vengevine/Hollow One decks over the top.

Hollow One is hilarious to me because it wasn't ever even a consideration for standard play.

Hollow One is an inherently hilarious meme deck that somehow became a tier 1 archetype which somehow makes it even more hilarious

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

uggy posted:

Would faithless looting with jumpstart instead of flashback be better or worse?

Much worse because you can’t jumpstart it unless you have a card in hand.

E: oh I guess this isn’t really relevant. Just feel like a lot of the time in pyromancer I’m only flashing back faithless looting with 1 card in hand.

Lawnie fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Aug 30, 2018

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

Lawnie posted:

Much worse because you can’t jumpstart it unless you have a card in hand.

You need at least one (other) card in hand for looting to leave a card in it (I know you might want to cast it anyway) but it's possible for this hypothetical card to be very playable.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
september 10 spoiler season? loving hell people

leakers go go go

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
im waiting for the clock to run down at work so I can leave on vacation, so I calculated that there are 6 unique ways to split the 10 color pairs between two sets that maintain color balance, so who's ready for RTRTRTRTRTR in 2036

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Convoke is back, plus convoke rider. For example put a +1/+1 For each creature that convoked this spell.

Mentor - When ~ attacks, target other attacking creature with less power than ~ gets +1/+1 till eot (Maybe gets a +1/+1 counter idk they're going fast)

Surveil - Scry into graveyard (I guess like explore without the +1/+1 counter)

Jumpstart - Retrace + flashback Cast this card from your gy by replaying its mana cost, exiling it, and discarding a card.

Undergrowth - Bonus for # of creature cards in your gy

Convoke is good assuming they don't print something bonkers by trying to spice it up, Mentor (Azorius?) seems like it could be bonkers in limited at least (I hope the bonus is counters and not just an EOT pump because otherwise combat math will be a pain in the rear end), the rest are just kind of watered down stuff we've seen before.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Convoke is good assuming they don't print something bonkers by trying to spice it up, Mentor (Azorius?) seems like it could be bonkers in limited at least (I hope the bonus is counters and not just an EOT pump because otherwise combat math will be a pain in the rear end), the rest are just kind of watered down stuff we've seen before.

Mentor is Boros and it is counters. Azorius is in the second set. Also they said mentor checks on resolution so it could be a mess ordering triggers with multiple mentor creatures.

Tainen fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Aug 30, 2018

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

It seems to me that Izzet, Dimir and Golgari have strong synergy between them by loading or interacting with the graveyard (implicitly Dimir will have interactions with the yard outside of Surveil). Selesnya sort of works with Golgari as they both encourage creature-heavy decks, but Selesnya works with tokens whilst Golgari doesn't. Selesnya and Boros both encourage getting lots of small creatures out and each deliver extra value. There seems to be no particular synergy between the red guilds at all I don't know if that could cause issues with the limited format.

PhyrexianLibrarian
Feb 21, 2004

Compleat silence, please
I'm keeping my eye on Surveil and Jumpstart, getting cards of your choice straight into the graveyard is something that leads to a lot of busted behavior.

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010
Boros sounds interesting but there is a zero percent chance Mentor going to do anything in constructed. Between having the keyword and having to be bigger then what’s attacking with it, the odds of a Mentor creature besides a legendary Mythic Rare (and maybe a new Gideon) being costed low enough and have the other stats and keywords to see even standard play is probably non-existent.

Could be a limited all star though. Or even a Limited oppressor- making early game cards relevant again is an easy way to break a format.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Mr. Locke posted:

Boros sounds interesting but there is a zero percent chance Mentor going to do anything in constructed. Between having the keyword and having to be bigger then what’s attacking with it, the odds of a Mentor creature besides a legendary Mythic Rare (and maybe a new Gideon) being costed low enough and have the other stats and keywords to see even standard play is probably non-existent.

Could be a limited all star though. Or even a Limited oppressor- making early game cards relevant again is an easy way to break a format.

could be another abbot of keral keep, where the keyword is just gravy, but isn't a limited-disrupting card

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Mentor is just a boring way of adding another +1/+1 to a creature that you have to work a little bit for.

TacoNight
Feb 18, 2011

Stop, hey, what's that sound?

Hellsau posted:

Mentor is just a boring way of adding another +1/+1 to a creature that you have to work a little bit for.

Seems like a lot of work, even in limited unless you get tons of evasion to work with.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

At least there's no mana investment

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Mr. Locke posted:

Mentor sounds pretty niche even in limited because the set up is probably way more obnoxious in gameplay than it sounds - you have to have 2 guys, one of which has Mentor, and the other of which has lower power and both them have to be able to profitably attack.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Aug 31, 2018

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

Does this give explore some more synergy with all the graveyard mechanics in play?

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Cheen posted:

Does this give explore some more synergy with all the graveyard mechanics in play?

I suppose it could, although there's only 2 good creatures with explore as it is. It feels a little like minor upside because creatures that you want to bin are usually creatures that are bad, and you don't want enough creatures that are bad to explore into that it happens with any regularity at all.

It does basically nothing with the Jump-Start thing because Branchwalker and Ranger aren't going to be in your Izzet deck in all likelihood.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
Mentor seems good if its printed on a Hero of Bladehold or Leonin Warleader style card that generates its own smaller attacking dudes but otherwise seems far too unwieldy

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Isn't the bigger problem that there are no great explore cards? (Because it's not actually as good an ability as it first appears)

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Mentor plays to WR's strengths and as mentioned will be mana-free value. Keep a trick up to punish blocking. Works well with menace or first strike or whatever. Pump the big guy in response to trigger. There's lots of things you can do and it makes your small dudes more relevant late. I agree it'll be meaningless in constructed.

Cheen
Apr 17, 2005

remorseful cleric seems pretty useful with all these graveyard mechanics- any other cards that are doing that work?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

AnEdgelord posted:

Mentor seems good if its printed on a Hero of Bladehold or Leonin Warleader style card that generates its own smaller attacking dudes but otherwise seems far too unwieldy

Does Mentor target? If it does then tokens made with you attack don't appear soon enough. Goblin Rabblemaster style tokens work though

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
Just want that 2/1 white one drop with mentor for cube

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

y'all say mentor will see zero play in constructed but they have yet to spoil "squadron hawk, but wise"

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

rabidsquid posted:

y'all say mentor will see zero play in constructed but they have yet to spoil "squadron hawk, but wise"

It wouldn't work on Squadron Hawk because the creature receiving the counter supposedly has to have lower power.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Angry Grimace posted:

It wouldn't work on Squadron Hawk because the creature receiving the counter supposedly has to have lower power.

thats what giant growth is for, my friend

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I imagine Mentor is going to be costed at near 0, so that they can have an ordinary pushed creature But Also With Mentor.

ROFLburger
Jan 12, 2006

How many dual lands (green/black) should I bring in to my mono green stompy deck to support a few Scrapheap Scroungers?

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000

ROFLburger posted:

How many dual lands (green/black) should I bring in to my mono green stompy deck to support a few Scrapheap Scroungers?

People generally run 8 at the moment, since they only want the ones that can enter untapped - Blooming Marsh and Woodland Cemetery. Blooming Marsh rotates out very soon though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

mossyfisk posted:

People generally run 8 at the moment, since they only want the ones that can enter untapped - Blooming Marsh and Woodland Cemetery. Blooming Marsh rotates out very soon though.

Hopefully gets replaced by Overgrown Tomb though.

But then, Scrapheap Scrounger rotates out so it's kinda moot.