Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

spit on my clit posted:

thats why i bought WASTED, and that game is a banger

edit: how about the Danganronpa vault. literally just danganronpa, pink blood and all. no stupid reasons for why poo poo in there is different than poo poo out there

Its not really a danganronpa vault if it doesnt have a talking bear to explain all the stupid reasons for why poo poo is different

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

spit on my clit posted:

thats why i bought WASTED, and that game is a banger

edit: how about the Danganronpa vault. literally just danganronpa, pink blood and all. no stupid reasons for why poo poo in there is different than poo poo out there

Overseer Terminal: "Lab boys are telling me that the radiation is giving everyone Pink Blood! Weird! Well that is all they have to say about that, guess it's best to not think too hard"

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Byzantine posted:

Alright, I know where this is going.

Fallout: Jurassic Park

I'm todd howard, send me your resume, I'm hiring you

*disclaimer* I am not todd howard

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Wrr posted:

A single man who does not speak English is the unsung hero genius who keeps things all working.

Excuse me he speaks Japanese only.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Reveilled posted:

I'd like to see the vaults from Philip K Dick's The Penultimate Truth.

Reminds me of 'This time of darkness'; HM Hoover book about a pair of kids living in a vast, crowded and decrepit city who try to escape by heading to the surface, which they're told is pretty much a barren wasteland, but turns out to be fine. Shades of 'Logan's Run' and the much later 'Wool', although it's heavily subverted there.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Heads up in case you play modded Fallout 4 but don't read the Fallout 4 modding thread; they just bumped Fallout 4's version again.

Standard practice is to go into the Updates tab in Fallout 4's right-click-menu properties and set it to only update when you launch it, then only launch it from your mod manager, but it might be too late for that until the F4SE and unofficial patch crews catch up.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Somewhat adjacent to the idea of island nations spared any nuclear devastation, I always kinda liked the idea proposed for Van Buren that the Blackfoot reservation was situated far enough away from major metropolitan areas and military bases that it didn't suffer any direct damage.

The idea that they'd be slavers and Sulik's sister was traded away until she wound up with them is a bit shakier. In conclusion, Fallout is a land of contrasts.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Given that places like Zion National Park (some 200km away from Las Vegas and more than double that to Salt Lake City) were missed by the bombs but still affected almost immediately by the aftermath I dont think many people got through the war unscathed.

That was kind of the theme of the whole war - the world as it existed before was gone. Completely.

Given the severity of the changes to weather patterns and climate change the bombs had on the continental US I suspect most small islands in the Pacific were either swept clean by storms or totally submerged.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

put the next real fallout in chicago

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
I wouldn't mind that. One of the big things about Tactics was that it was supposed to take place in and around Chicago but the most urban place you visit is friggin' Macomb, IL and Great Bend, KS.

Plenty they could do with that location and get away from the east coast.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

yeah, get away from the east coast and finally put a pin in what's canon or not from tactics

going off fnv the midwest brotherhood is barely the brotherhood by this point which could be interesting

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Just keep it in the states

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Rinkles posted:

I mean, in Fallout in-world terms, that doesn't rule out Toronto.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Rinkles posted:

Fallout: Guam

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

only non-US fallouts id be willing to entertain is like toronto or mexico city but otherwise the series really shouldn't leave the states

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Psychotic Weasel posted:

Given that places like Zion National Park (some 200km away from Las Vegas and more than double that to Salt Lake City) were missed by the bombs but still affected almost immediately by the aftermath I dont think many people got through the war unscathed.

That was kind of the theme of the whole war - the world as it existed before was gone. Completely.

Given the severity of the changes to weather patterns and climate change the bombs had on the continental US I suspect most small islands in the Pacific were either swept clean by storms or totally submerged.

Well, there's also the idea that part of Texas and some adjacent areas spend six months out of the year covered in radioactive tornados.

Berke Negri posted:

only non-US fallouts id be willing to entertain is like toronto or mexico city but otherwise the series really shouldn't leave the states

You could maybe make a case for Japan, but that'd be an extreme change to the sociopolitical commentary on offer.

HitTheTargets fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Aug 30, 2018

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

in my mind fallout is pretty much about how america is awful so going abroad is kind of missing the point

like it'd be nice to know what happened to japan after the bombs dropped but i don't think a game should be set there

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Wrr posted:

Overseer Terminal: "Lab boys are telling me

I read the rest of this sentence in J.K. Simmons' voice

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

A novel idea, but you can't remove the flavours from the people themselves, so the vault would still be exposed to tastes. I bet that people would have even stronger tastes if that's the only thing that had any true flavour.

:thejoke:

Of course it would start out much more innocently with people experimenting with adding bodily fluids and industrial waste to nutripaste. But when a minor radroach infestation pops up in November and there's a riot over who gets to take home a radroach for Thanksgiving, There's suddenly a lot of corpses and then things get interesting just in time for Christmas. In conclusion, long pig is very easy to come by in a vault.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Berke Negri posted:

in my mind fallout is pretty much about how america is awful so going abroad is kind of missing the point

like it'd be nice to know what happened to japan after the bombs dropped but i don't think a game should be set there

Yeah basically. I don't really know where you go f9r the themes of "classic" Fallout, NV and its dlcs really exhausted them (in superb fashion, mind). Lonesome Road's ending narration seemed like a definitive statement on the series.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Rinkles posted:

I'd be curious to explore other countries as DLC's or something like that. I always wondered how China turned out.

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

dont be mean to me posted:

I mean, in Fallout in-world terms, that doesn't rule out Toronto.

In FO3's The Pitt, Ashur mentions their might being 'the envy of Ronto', so apparently there's still functioning civilization up here.

I'd hate to see the Great White Yao Guai that result from mutated Polar Bears.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

there's also a toronto, ohio

which would make more sense

and also i don't want them to make a fallout: ohio

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

fallout: juarez would loving rule.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

jfood posted:

fallout: juarez would loving rule.

Rifts use to have some nice material about post apocalyptic Juarez.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

I was the goodest dogboy in Reid's Rangers one summer.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
You don't even need to set it in Canada. Just have it in Chicago or Detroit or something and have a bunch of Canadarian trappers or Coureurs de Bois hunting mutant for beaver pelts along the great lakes.

Psychotic Weasel
Jun 24, 2004

Bang! You're dead.
Mutant Hosers.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

radbeavers

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

just run of the mill canadian geese, not even mutated.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

Let's go to Mars

Arcsquad12 posted:

You don't even need to set it in Canada. Just have it in Chicago or Detroit or something and have a bunch of Canadarian trappers or Coureurs de Bois hunting mutant for beaver pelts along the great lakes.

Depends why you're setting it where.

If it's in Canada it's a look at America from a place and people with no rose or nostalgia in their goggles.

jfood posted:

just run of the mill canadian geese, not even mutated.

:yikes:

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

canada with its background as occupied territories could be interesting though we really don't need to be sold on america was terrible that's pretty much everywhere in all the games except bawls ad and slipknot soundtrack brotherhood of steel

Omar_Comin
Aug 20, 2004
Dark Jedi Carebear
Fallout: Great White North

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4KTebUT6Mw

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

I'm with the "Keep Fallout In America" crowd. Maybe it has moved away from it, but the series was originally about critiquing American cultural bullshit, and is inherently tied to America. The same with the Grand Theft Auto series, or even Yakuza.

I do admit I am curious to see what some of those locations would look like. Maybe they could visit them for a short time, or cook up some Memory Den / Operation Anchorage style bullshit to have an excuse to why the player can go there. Maybe a Fallout set on the border between New York and Canada can work. Set it with Niagara Falls in the middle as a big impressive landmark. You get noted poo poo-hole Buffalo on south side of map, Toronto on North. Cook up some justification for why the west half of Lake Ontario is drained and then most the map won't be just water. I'm not sure what the difference in elevation between the lake bed and Toronto but the visual of a big city on what is essentially a cliff face would be cool, doubly so with all the docks sticking out and whatnot. Toronto also has The Path which could be a city unto itself. Then Buffalo is just. . . the garbage-pit you start the game in?

Weird mutants from the lake? Raiders with hockey gear passing IED hockey pucks or something? Sending a mini-nuke over the falls in a barrel for some reason? Hell ya.

Make the plot and theme of the game about America annexing Toronto in the past and Why Imperialism is Bad and Wrong, badda bing badda boom you got yourself a Fallout game.

I think Fallout: Guam wouldn't be too bad either. Maybe more of a smaller scale side game. You'd be absolutely free of any prior existing post-war canon and the entire island would be the map. It has multiple military bases already on it, pure jungle in the middle, scattered settlements to the south, and a touristy 'Strip' area to the northwest. I had to fly to Guam for two days once to accomplish a drug test and I managed to drive around the entire island in like, an hour. You could recreate the island in 1:1 scale almost and make the player spend 5 hours walking from Lexington to Boston or whatever. Theres also already history of Japanese soldier(s) being trapped on the island, not knowing the war was over. Make them ghoulified Chinese soldiers, give them some foothold in the island to make them a proper faction, and then you a window into what pre-war China was like.

Bethesda Hire Me You Fucks

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Wrr posted:

Raiders with hockey gear

Sudden Death Overtime

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

Wrr posted:

Maybe a Fallout set on the border between New York and Canada can work. Set it with Niagara Falls in the middle as a big impressive landmark.

dried up basin being used as a city with buildings made from the ferries, low class down in the basin and the "upper class" living in the buildings around the rim

Wrr
Aug 8, 2010

HORMELCHILI posted:

dried up basin being used as a city with buildings made from the ferries, low class down in the basin and the "upper class" living in the buildings around the rim

Big rear end elevators attached to the docks made out of other ferries, just open the path directly into the rim for some reason so it kinda looks like cutting an ant colony in half. King Shithead in CN Tower. Children of Atom preacher at Younge & Dundas to be a stand-in for that "PRAISE THE LORD!" dude. Big university justifies whatever high-tech crap you want to throw in? Weird Bizarre buildings with Retro-Future Stuff jammed inside of 1950s Architecture a la the ROM Crystal. Pacific Mall, except its not actually that different in the post-apocalypse compared to the pre-war era, it's just always been like That.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Berke Negri posted:

Why Toronto? It's just a flat piece of earth. Vancouver would be way more interesting.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Why Toronto? It's just a flat piece of earth. Vancouver would be way more interesting.

Bottom Right: Villain's lair
Bottom Middle: Vault location
Top Right: rebuilt society hub
Top left: Radioactive hellhole

It's already laid out like a Fallout map

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

My brother and I are curious but hesitant. We're tempted to pre-order physical and see if we can get in the beta and then cancel if we don't like it, but I'm assuming they're anticipating that?