Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
This is the boat I’m in. I use it to tell time, see notifications, maybe check the weather or email in meetings. I’m not sure what would make me upgrade from the S1 unless it shatters or stops holding a charge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

xzzy posted:

Me too, that's why I usually have the modular watch face going.

But I draw the line at my watch looking like a 2005 winamp reskin. :colbert:

Your watch will never whip the llama's rear end with that kind of attitude!

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

The thing for me is I basically just use it for notifications and timers. Once in a while I'll reply to a message. I've yet to find an app with an interface that I enjoy using, or that is worth the tradeoff of not having to get my phone. Is siri quicker/more reliable on the s3?

Yes it is. Siri is 90% of what I use the watch for and switching from the S0 to S3 was like night and day.

That said, I was an idiot and jumped on the LTE model the second it was out and I have to admit it's actually pretty awesome to make calls while out and about without the phone. It's also really nice to leave the loving phone at home every now and then.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
I like using mine to control my phone playback in the car without having to reach over and pull the phone out of its holder. Same goes when I’m in lab and the phone’s in my pocket. When driving I can also “hey Siri” into the watch to start a call or dictate a message/send a canned message which is nice.

Also I like being able to hatch eggs in Pokémon Go while puttering around the lab or apartment. Don’t judge me I got back into playing because of the upcoming Switch game :shrug: .

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

My S2 broke and I didn’t have AppleCare so I took the L on it then but the 4 looks good and I’ll even get AppleCare with it this time.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I mean if you upgrade to the new watchOS you can configure that bizarrely busy face for your S3 if you wanted anyway right?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's possible they make is S4-only.

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

That S4 picture is just a mock-up some dude did it Photoshop, right? Or is that somehow a leak from Apple, because I can’t imagine them releasing it with a watch face that ugly.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

It’s a leak. A screen of the new XS leaked with it.

RoboCop 3
Feb 5, 2018

Well, I guess the existing watch faces aren’t exactly works of modern art either. The new display looks nice, and if the fitness and sleep tracking are significantly better, then I might consider upgrading.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Binary Badger posted:

I mean if you upgrade to the new watchOS you can configure that bizarrely busy face for your S3 if you wanted anyway right?

I bet there are going to be a bunch of new watch faces for the new larger screen only to sell that as a major feature.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
I wish there were more face options. Like here’s an ok one, 3 boring ones and toy story.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Photos watch face would be about perfect if it had a few more complication options.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

i really like the explorer face. I have both phone and messages shortcut on it and it hits all my minimalist but functional needs. all I'd ask for it is a third little widget somewhere for the date because I'm terrible with dates and knowing what day it is is a monumental task for me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I use Siri face like 99% of the time.

Also the new iOS beta seems to have severely hosed the Watch app.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

but I can have Minnie Mouse read me the time 🤔

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I like using mine to control my phone playback in the car without having to reach over and pull the phone out of its holder. Same goes when I’m in lab and the phone’s in my pocket. When driving I can also “hey Siri” into the watch to start a call or dictate a message/send a canned message which is nice.

Also I like being able to hatch eggs in Pokémon Go while puttering around the lab or apartment. Don’t judge me I got back into playing because of the upcoming Switch game :shrug: .

Hell yeah. I work retail and I get killer steps in Pokémon via the Watch app.

I’m torn on this. I can’t see much of an upgrade on the new watch outside of the bigger screen, so it probably won’t make sense upgrading from a Series 3. So me upgrading would depend on selling the series 3, but the watch hasn’t held its value as well as the iPhones have done.

But I tend to upgrade anyway, so I’ll probably end up getting it and continue being a schmuck.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
X-Large face in a corresponding color with a slightly offset shade to a sport loop. :colbert:

So like orange loop gets peach face, flash (green) loop gets mint, and....that’s all I got for now.

If I want complications I’ll swipe to one of like eight other faces I have cued up that have complications I’ve already pre-chosen. But 95% of the time it’s on X-Large matched to the band color.

Also I gotta pick up the solid pink and solid blue sport loops before the 12th...

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

This seems to have fixed itself. :shrug:

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Wtf after a week long business trip in which I didn’t swap out any bands I go to out my gym band on and the button to release the one side is gone. Not sure if they pop out easy or if it broke off.

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
Hey sorry I don't really read this thread but I was hoping for confirmation on Watch OS 5 if y'all don't mind.

I have the first edition apple watch. It's the space black expensive one... and I am reading that the new Watch OS5 will NOT support the first Apple Watch?

Does that mean that I'm just never going to be able to get further OS updates after OS4, or is it just not "officially supported"?

It would be kind of upsetting if the first edition watches were already sunsetted considering it was like a thousand bucks or whatever.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Endless Mike posted:

I use Siri face like 99% of the time.

For some reason I hate the idea of the Siri watch face but it indisputably gives me exactly what I need from my watch so I use it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Taima posted:

Hey sorry I don't really read this thread but I was hoping for confirmation on Watch OS 5 if y'all don't mind.

I have the first edition apple watch. It's the space black expensive one... and I am reading that the new Watch OS5 will NOT support the first Apple Watch?

Does that mean that I'm just never going to be able to get further OS updates after OS4, or is it just not "officially supported"?

It would be kind of upsetting if the first edition watches were already sunsetted considering it was like a thousand bucks or whatever.

It means you can't install it.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Modular is my favorite face by a long shot but I’m getting tired of it.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Rolo posted:

Modular is my favorite face by a long shot but I’m getting tired of it.

This is going to sound so dorky but because I like modular so much I save it for holidays or road trips.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Taima posted:

You got three years of software support and will be able to continue using it as long as iOS supports Watch OS 4 (which, at the very least, iOS 12 does). You're not wrong to be upset, but the original Apple Watches are quite a bit less powerful than even the Series 1.

Unrelated: Since we only have 30 pages here, rather than a new thread, I'll just update the OP after the new Watches are available for purchase. Unless people think a new thread is warranted.

Endless Mike fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Aug 31, 2018

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Endless Mike posted:

You got three years of software support and will be able to continue using it as long as iOS supports Watch OS 4 (which, at the very least, iOS 12 does). You're not wrong to be upset, but the original Apple Watches are quite a bit less powerful than even the Series 1.

Unrelated: Since we only have 30 pages here, rather than a new thread, I'll just update the OP after the new Watches are available for purchase. Unless people think a new thread is warranted.

Keep this thread. Lots of people have the older watches and I highly doubt Apple will stop selling the S1/S3 for at least a year. We don’t need a new Watch thread.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Rick posted:

This is going to sound so dorky but because I like modular so much I save it for holidays or road trips.

I’m opposite. I like Modular, but it’s my work watch face. It has the most info. When I’m not at work, it’s either Chronograph, Numerals or Solar.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Utility is the only correct face choice.

LPG Giant
Feb 20, 2011
Nah simple is the best. It gets you four complications and the date, all the while looking clean as heck. And you can make it crazy with the color of the seconds dial!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
I really like that new watch face and I hope it's not series 4 only.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Numerals is good.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Matt Zerella posted:

I really like that new watch face and I hope it's not series 4 only.

Lol are you new to Apple?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

The Dave posted:

Lol are you new to Apple?

Nope. But I can see them maybe letting us on the 33 have it dammit!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

The Siri face is available to all Watches, so...it's possible.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

How does the watch work with the Strava running app? Can you connect the Apple workouts to the Strava site or do you need to use the Strava app to record?

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny
Gotta use the Strava app. It’s kinda dumb, other fitness apps should just access Health data and be done with it but apparently that’s not how it works. Bleh.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
The app HealthFit can export from Apple activities to Strava, and other similar sites.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Just used an oldish looking parking meter and saw an Apple Pay thing flash that it was available

Really cool & good

I know for people outside the US it’s prob business as usual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I know for people outside the US it’s prob business as usual

Yeah.

My Apple Watch dings me when my kerbside parking's about to expire, and I can extend it with a tap.

(Australian).