Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.
Awwww yeah I just turned in today's field research and my Pokemon encounter reward was a shiny Charmander!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008

Willsun posted:

Also depending on good your phone performs, you might be short a few seconds at start if it took your phone that long to load the start of battle. Like you should be starting a Machamp raid at 180 seconds but mine typically starts me at 176 or 174. It really mattered because the raid ended for me a few seconds before 0 as well and I was a pixel or two from defeating it.

I've been soloing Machamp a lot these days and I just learned to remove my Espeon. Didn't realize it was holding me back so much, probably due to its poor health not being able to fire off more than one charge move and wasting time with the slow Confusion as its best dps and building up to a second charge move that doesn't get to go off.

My team's just a fully powered double psychic Mewtwo, a high double psychic Lugia, then the rest is unpowered weather boosted Ho-Oh with Extrasensory/Brave Bird. It does the trick now that I don't have Espeon in there even as the 6th spot.

Didn't someone post a raid trick, where you have a team that's empty and that's what you pick to start the raid. It'll kick you back to the lobby and you can swap to another team and reenter the raid with the full timer?

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
With all the name issues how do I have an army of Bitchtits machamps?

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Cowslips Warren posted:

With all the name issues how do I have an army of Bitchtits machamps?

I feel like they just implemented this policy. I was able to name one of my crappy shiny Vaporeons "Fart" a while back but then when I recently tried to add its IV number after it, it wouldn't let me.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Seeing what other people have named their pokemon only started when friends were added so it'd make sense any filtering is also recent.

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf
I've come to realize I can easily spin 30+ pokestops a day and I just sit at 10 gifts in my inventory at any point in time so send me more friend requests and get gifts on the daily.

1631 7458 8961

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

You can’t name Mewtwo “Hello Kitty” either. :ughh:

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

What’s the gengar that’s meant to be worth having? I have one with shadow ball, one with shadow claw. I’m hoping to find someone to trade me a ho oh or that big green lizard snake thing.

Additionally, a colleague is back from New Zealand on Monday and if he fulfils his promise to bring me a relicanth I’ll have all the regionals. Sweet!

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
Gengar with the legacy fast move Shadow Claw. It's 15.4 dps vs the current fast ghost move it has, which is Hex at 10 dps. Sludge Wave for its charge move too if you have it since it's legacy and has the highest dps as well. I only see Gengar as grenades you throw at Mewtwo because its horrible poison typing makes them vulnerable to the same type of Pokemon they were meant to have an advantage on. Ghost kills psychic but psychic kills poison so hooray gen 1.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Psion posted:

Seeing what other people have named their pokemon only started when friends were added so it'd make sense any filtering is also recent.

The weird thing is that all trading is with people within 100m of you so if I name my pokemon PsionSux you'll just take my lunch money. Oh well.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

tangy yet delightful posted:

The weird thing is that all trading is with people within 100m of you so if I name my pokemon PsionSux you'll just take my lunch money. Oh well.

you can view the name of your friend's buddy pokemon at any distance, though

also we both know if we made that trade it'd turn lucky and I would never rename it :v:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Willsun posted:

Gengar with the legacy fast move Shadow Claw. It's 15.4 dps vs the current fast ghost move it has, which is Hex at 10 dps. Sludge Wave for its charge move too if you have it since it's legacy and has the highest dps as well. I only see Gengar as grenades you throw at Mewtwo because its horrible poison typing makes them vulnerable to the same type of Pokemon they were meant to have an advantage on. Ghost kills psychic but psychic kills poison so hooray gen 1.

A buddy was telling me that the way to beat turbonerd 6x Mewtwo teams in Gen 1 was to use 6x Jolteons with some special move that I am now forgetting :pcgaming: paging IcePhoenix! :pcgaming: Apparently Jolteon was fast enough to always go first against Mewtwo and had a high enough special where he could one-shot him with the right move.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Siets posted:

A buddy was telling me that the way to beat turbonerd 6x Mewtwo teams in Gen 1 was to use 6x Jolteons with some special move that I am now forgetting :pcgaming: paging IcePhoenix! :pcgaming: Apparently Jolteon was fast enough to always go first against Mewtwo and had a high enough special where he could one-shot him with the right move.

Pin missile

e: I might have also given it thunder wave or something, not sure, but Pin Missile would KO most Mewtwos if it got enough hits

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Aug 30, 2018

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Psion posted:

you can view the name of your friend's buddy pokemon at any distance, though

also we both know if we made that trade it'd turn lucky and I would never rename it :v:

Ah I did forget about seeing the buddy names.

Haha very true, I haven't renamed the lucky Arcanine I got and the name wasn't even insulting :D

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

tangy yet delightful posted:

quote:

When the first pokemon games came out, they were crazy popular and a ton of people would have pokemon battles at my school. There were two types of matches. The first one was your standard set where everyone fought for fun.

The second was "playing for keeps" where the winner could choose any pokemon the loser used and keep it. Naturally these were pretty rare and people tended to stick to using a B team that they didn't mind losing. So an all out hardcore match with the best pokemon on the line was a pretty big deal.

Now there were these two kids that hated each other. Brad was the local "rich kid" and kind of an rear end in a top hat, while Kyle was your more traditional nerd that was nice enough but kind of annoying since he took the games a little too seriously.

To make a long story short they have this big hyped up match with their best pokemon. Everyone watched Brad completely crush Kyle. It turned out that Brad had 2 gameboys, both versions of the game and was using a team of multiple Mewtwo's (the most powerful pokemon in the game and impossible to get more than one except by trading).

Kyle is pissed but goes through with the trade and gives away his high level charazard. In pokemon you can't just give a free trade. Both players have to give a pokemon. In exchange for Kyle's favorite pokemon, Brad gave him a low level rattata. The real kicker though was that he took the time to give it the nickname "KyleSux."

Kyle takes this really badly and freaks out. He starts screaming and swearing at Brad and rips the cord out of the gameboy, but the trade has already been made and he ends up storming out while we all laugh at his outburst. Kyle just stops playing pokemon with people after that. We figured that was the end of it until he pops up like a month later and challenges Brad to a rematch.

Everyone gathers around in anticipation of another giant freak out, but Kyle isn't going down easy this time. Turns out he basically spent a month building a team that was engineered to defeat Brad. Not just beat him but annoy him. We all tended to just choose the hardest hitting moves we could get, but Kyle had a team of insect types that were resistant to psychic damage and specialized in making their opponents slow down, miss more, fall asleep etc.

It was hilarious to watch. Brad would send out a psychic death machine and Kyle would send out a caterpillar. Then we'd all laugh as he missed 50% of the time while getting his health chipped away. Brad wasn't losing by much but as the battle dragged on he was clearly getting more and more annoyed at every missed attack and lost turn. Finally Brad was down to his last pokemon, a badly wounded Mewtwo that was out of it's most powerful attacks. Brad managed to score a hit and force Kyle to use his last pokemon, a level 99 Raticate named "KyleSux."

KyleSux finished the fight in one hit and I've never seen anyone look more smug than Kyle when he did it.

Not sure of original source. Got it off a thread in the archives and I can't quote-link it.

Willsun
Dec 9, 2006

I willed too hard again...
I was about to joke about how nice but debuffs don't pertain to PoGo but now I really wish we had meta where certain Pokemon can help slow raid bosses down or even give tiny healing to raid members, and now even more sad knowing Niantic would never do this.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

Just put it up your rear end urethra!

Teeter
Jul 21, 2005

Hey guys! I'm having a good time, what about you?

JUST MAKING CHILI posted:

Didn't someone post a raid trick, where you have a team that's empty and that's what you pick to start the raid. It'll kick you back to the lobby and you can swap to another team and reenter the raid with the full timer?

Normally when you join a raid, it starts off the battle with that GO! animation and doesn't actually allow you to start dealing damage until about 6-10 seconds have already elapsed. This trick allows you to skip that and will give that precious time back:

• Set up an empty battle party and select it as you enter a raid
  • When the countdown reaches 0, it will pop up an error about your party being unable to join. The countdown will be replaced with the timer for the raid battle itself.
  • Switch to the party that you intend to use.
  • Join the battle when the new countdown says 182-184. It should stick you in the fight with the full 180 seconds available

It may take a few tries to get your timing down as each phone varies. If you join too soon then it will spit you right back out with an error. It is safer to join at 182 then 184.

Here's a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QDFpBst-2c

Teeter fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Aug 30, 2018

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Yeah, on my phone 183 works perfectly, 184 spits me out. I only bother doing it on raids I think might be close, like when I solo a Flareon.

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
There’s something oddly satisfying about taking over the Mormon Temple gym and sticking a Miltank in there.

Pez
Feb 28, 2002

Thanks to CoX, my stairs will be protected forever!

BGrifter posted:

There’s something oddly satisfying about taking over the Mormon Temple any gym and sticking a Miltank in there.

Coffee_Break
Apr 30, 2008

Big McHuge posted:

Back from Iceland, had a lovely time. Hope those of you who friended me enjoyed the gifts, mostly from MMCXX, since that's where our airbnb was on top of. Sadly the signal outside of Reykjavik was spotty, but surprisingly there were poke stops and gyms in even some of the most remote places we visited, like the Westman Islands.

Didn't exactly have time to do any Ho-oh raids, so hopefully some of my local friends caught enough to trade me one for a mime or volbeat.

I would 100% recommend Iceland as an awesome vacation spot, but holy crap is it expensive. 3/4 of a tank of gas was about $200 USD.

Thanks to Foxy I got my 3 friends and gifts and now walkin' with my shiny Eevee...:D I didn't realize you were also from MI but maybe gift from the other side of the state are worthy. ;) I'm so glad you are home safe from such a huge trip..gas that much? ouch!

Thanks to all here that became my friends from all over the world...you're the best! :D
(Shortkate1 with the 'vicksburg historic outhouse' gifts lol)

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

SpartanIvy posted:

I've come to realize I can easily spin 30+ pokestops a day and I just sit at 10 gifts in my inventory at any point in time so send me more friend requests and get gifts on the daily.

1631 7458 8961

I've added you, I'm new to the game but there are like 5 stops right by my house and a few nearby parks with multiple stops, so I'm still getting more gifts than I can give out.

Fly with me
Aug 19, 2006

Single-handedly repopulating the Earth.

BGrifter posted:

There’s something oddly satisfying about taking over the Mormon Temple gym and sticking a Miltank in there.

Which Mormon temple?

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
took like 5 months to get a rain castform, thanks drought

also there was a shiny duskull for some reason

SpartanIvy
May 18, 2007
Hair Elf

Twitch posted:

I've added you, I'm new to the game but there are like 5 stops right by my house and a few nearby parks with multiple stops, so I'm still getting more gifts than I can give out.

Sweet. I always appreciate more gifts! At 200 exp a gift they're good to give starting out too.

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

Birdstrike posted:

took like 5 months to get a rain castform, thanks drought

also there was a shiny duskull for some reason

i still haven't got the snowy one. i thought a tassie winter would be a safe bet

X13Fen
Oct 18, 2006

"Is that an accurate quote? It should be.
I think about it often enough."

put both hands in posted:

i still haven't got the snowy one. i thought a tassie winter would be a safe bet

Holy poo poo, how did Canberra get it before Tassie?

put both hands in
Nov 28, 2007

:swoon:FYFE:swoon:

X13Fen posted:

Holy poo poo, how did Canberra get it before Tassie?

there haven't been that much proper cold days this winter, and i don't think i've been in the city on any of them.

though i did catch my first sunny castform in the middle of the night

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Censorship of nicknames is definitely a very recent thing. I've run into the same issue of trying to add IV numbers onto a Pokémon nickname and being told it's rude and not allowed, so it's willing (currently) to let you keep old rude names, but not make new ones.

Sadly the days of "Aww, what a small YOUR PENIS! It's the smallest I've ever seen!" are coming to an end.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
You can nickname a Butterfree "Butterfree"but you can't nickname anyone else "Butterfree". You can't nickname anyone, including Butterfree, "Butterfly", "Butter", etc.

Luckily you can give anyone you like the not at all rude name of Bummerfree.

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I nicknamed my 666 Gastly and 666 Murkrow evil boi and evil gurl, respectively. Then I renamed them Jean Ralphio and Mona Lisa, from Parks and Rec. Then I tried to switch it back, and it wouldn't let me :(

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it’s a little thing, but they should just have capped the naming thing on kids profiles, and block trading Pokémon with banned names to kids. Otherwise it’s really dumb.

facile arrow
Mar 27, 2005
Looking for a few friends

1424 2340 1505

Edit: Thanks!

facile arrow fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 1, 2018

Zombie Dachshund
Feb 26, 2016

OgreNoah posted:

I nicknamed my 666 Gastly and 666 Murkrow evil boi and evil gurl, respectively. Then I renamed them Jean Ralphio and Mona Lisa, from Parks and Rec. Then I tried to switch it back, and it wouldn't let me :(

I wanted my 666 houndour to be “hellhound”. Instead it’s “heckhound” which I kind of like better, tbh

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Nicknaming is too big a hassle so I don't bother anymore. I don't deal with IVs or that stuff so I don't have any need to sort my guys.

But I am proud of Alaskan Jam my Alakazam.

Edit: I almost forgot about Sex Ed Tutor my Exeggutor.

duck trucker fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Aug 31, 2018

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe
https://ibb.co/cPrhpe

Finally. Good Lord that's stupid game design.

Wheany
Mar 17, 2006

Spinyahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Doctor Rope

Vegastar posted:

Find a stop the day before, force-close the game, change your phone's timezone (just the time zone, you can't change the actual clock time manually or it wont work) to somewhere that it's "tomorrow" and spin another stop. You'll get credited for tomorrow and can pick back up the day after.

Holy poo poo, it only bloody worked!

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The CP formula rework that occurred sometime last year ruined my beautiful flower “Hail Satan” the 666 CP Slowbro. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

My daughter was able to name a houndour "helldog" or similar before the new naming bullshit. I'll have to warn her to never change it

• Locked thread